Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
As a gigging musician, I've played more 3 chord songs than I can count. Plenty of 2 chord songs and more than enough 1 chord songs. (IMO, any 1 chord song is too much – as it is very difficult to improvise a long, interesting melodic solo over one chord.)

As Mario pointed out, MIDI is unlimited.

If I want that piano part to be a clav, synth, guitar or whatever, click, click and it's done. If I want to change sounds every two measures (or whatever) – presto change-o.

If I want that part up or down an octave, no prob.

Wanna add a song specific figure with the same sounding instrument as the rest of the song – play it in.

Using Real Band or exporting your tune as a MIDI file and importing to a sequencer/DAW gives you absolute unlimited editing and customizing capabilities.

Do you want a specific note on top of the chord when BiaB puts it in the middle, click click or drag and drop.

Don't want that drum roll between the A and B section, copy/paste.

Want a different roll there, again copy/paste.

How about a ride bell or cowbell instead of a ride cymbal? Drag/drop.

Longer ending or better intro, your sequencer/DAW/RealBand is your friend.

Need a rhythmic kick, or need to add or subtract instruments to a BiaB hit - easy-peasy.

Real crescendos, diminuendos, accelerandos, or ritardandos instead of the rough ones available in BiaB - couple of clicks and it's done.

This only scratches the surface.

Back On Topic.

Songs need variation and development. A lot of one chord songs do that by changing instruments, adding and subtracting them, adding song-specific figures and develop those figures and so on. This can easily be done with MIDI styles.

EDM songs have changes that happen through them, if you pay attention, you will notice them. Granted, they aren't as obvious as the chord changes in a multi-chord song, but they are there and take a different kind of listening to discover them.

That's where a good MIDI EDM Multi-style comes in. Instead of A and B sections, you have A, B, C, and D. By adding/subtracting the individual instruments in the A-B-C-D parts you can expand that and have the gradual changes that make EDM interesting to the dancers.

Of course, YMMV

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens
I have the feeling he doesn't know what he's talking about.
There are often translation problems with this poster. I recommend not making more of it than that.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
No need to be unkind gentlemen. He is entitled to his opinions and questions.

SBM, Here is the issue I see, and I think Mario makes a good point. BiaB is limited only by ones imagination for the most part. It is equipped with a style maker where you can create any style you want. Heck you don’t even need a style. Just add tracks. If you use midi you can run that through just about any synth or midi instrument you want. You can add or subtract notes.

If You want a two chord Rap song find a midi drum and bass groove you like and run it through a good synth let it drone on for ever and Rap away.

Honestly I don’t think this type of music was ever best created in BiaB. Abelton live, acid pro, or any other audio loop based programs are better suited for these genre’s.

Here’s another thought BiaB does handle audio loops, so buy a good loop library that is aimed at rap, electronic or dance music, whatever suits you, and load the loops and type in the two chords you want and hit generate. I really think it would be sooooo easy to accomplish.

Certainly worth exploring don’t cha think?

Last edited by Rob Helms; 05/17/23 11:45 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
I can fly my airplane to the truck stop to get a pack of cigarettes. I have done that in Arizona. That is a pretty convoluted way to get a pack of cigarettes. I was sitting in the airplane, waiting for a thunderstorm to pass. I drove off the runway across the desert and parked behind the truck stop.

My point is that while BIAB more or less is only limited to how skilled one is at using it, it may, in fact, may not be the best program to generate every form of music that exists.

I don't have to defend BIAB. It is the only program that exists that does precisely what it does. If you like it, use it. If you can not make it do what you want it to do, look for something else.

It may be a while before "The Notorious B.I.G" is a track on BIAB...lol

So, if you are upset about people talking about what "young people" like, don't worry; you will be old soon enough, and then they will be telling you what "old people" like...lol

Being angry and upset is not very logical, to begin with. You being angry with me is like you drinking poison hoping I die.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 05/17/23 02:04 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not sure where this thread went off the rails. Who is angry?

Swingbabymix asked a question about a style I certainly can't help him with (my specialty is Brazilian jazz, as far from two or three chord music as it gets).

I suspect from past observation that many of us are not skilled in the type of music he is asking about. After a rocky start because of difficulty in translations, Swingbabymix has really come along here. He has even made some good suggestions about how to improve BIAB. He has his own ideas about what he wants and thinks is the future of music, and his ideas are worthy of being listened to. I hope everyone keeps an open mind and helps him when you can.

Does there exist in BIAB a song demo using only two chords, and perhaps contemporary rhythms? I don't know.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Nicely said Matt, no need to get upset with the gentleman. He is always welcome to share ideas and thoughts. I was thinking of making a demo for that.

Swing away Baby! Mix……. Hhhhmmmm well that didn’t work out like I expected!

Billy was that you that buzzed my house earlier?

Last edited by Rob Helms; 05/17/23 04:50 PM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Not me, Rob! To much air traffic in New York...lol

Actually, the last time I flew into NYC, the weather was so bad the controllers at JFK were kind enough to give me a hand and would have let me land my small twin there if I wanted to.

So, Matt, perhaps no one is angry.

I was certainly not talking about Swingbaby.

So...Swingbaby, I put this together for you as a demo. If you tell me precisely what stile you are looking for, I will make you a demo.

Here is something typical out of BIAB. Two chords, A, Bb.

Dancehall style, very rhythmic, very modern sounding.

https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/biab-demo-1?si=0b71a0c6fe0845479a05e88337f4d974&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Trance, Hip Hop, Trap, Synth Pop, Techno, Industrial, EMD, and Dubstep also exist. Also, I have a 2022 audiophile disk, which is not the latest.

There are plenty of "modern" styles in BIAB, and there are some styles that currently exist that are not included yet.

Billy
EDIT: Other ideas I have generated from BIAB along the lines of "modern" pop music in the last month using other third-party software and AI.

https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/dance5-toontrack-with-short-vox?si=2cd045803dfe404b9c504f5d7a9883cf&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Last edited by Planobilly; 05/17/23 05:36 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Yeah those are great examples of using BiaB to piece together different genres. Adding sounds from 3rd party sound libraries can open up the window for almost anything.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
After work. Studying music is my hobby.
Always like to analyze the chord progression of some songs. I learned a lot about music through this.
But the funny thing is, I like rap songs and dance music after all.
Read an article a few days ago, I was surprised to find that many of their favorite songs chord is very simple.

I thought it was interesting, and I remembered if there was a simple DEMO of chords in BIAB, let me see.
Yes, a lot of songs are just a phrase. But it's interesting to do it through different passages.

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Veteran
Veteran
26 Songs That Only Use Two Chords:
( 26首只使用两个和弦的歌曲 )

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Here's another:

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Hi MarioD

I feel the same about BIAB
even though the RealTrack are great, for my purpose I don't use them
I use BIAB 2009 and BIAB 2015 and midi styles
I just prefer to use Roland Sofware and Hardware, from microsoft GM synth , TTS1 up to my Integra 7
I am a junkie for Roland sounds
My first synth was a Roland U20 and I used it for more than 8 years before purchasing a JV2080; an so on
I love the flexibility of MIDI styles
believe me, I have modified everything in a Bee Gees style and made a Lou Reed style with it
you can also make several different songs from a single chord sheet by changing the midi parameters

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Hi AudioTrack,
"Senssesly Cruel" by Lou Reed is a very catchy 2 chord song, with a great Saxophone riff :-)

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Here's another:

These videos are great. Thank you for sharing. I will download it and watch it over and over again.

I like one of the songs in it. <<Nirvana-something in the way>>

I watched the video. I understand a truth.

Whether the song is good or not is not a question of the number of chords. It depends on what the singer wants to express. Just those chords fit. This is my feeling.

Last edited by swingbabymix; 05/21/23 09:14 AM.

Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
ahem.
james brown.
1 chord.

done.

The world of funk has gotten by on an e9 for about 50 years.

Get up offa dat thing!.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Thanks to all the above friends! Each of you has made me progress.

I may have some problems expressing it. through recent studies. I have some new discoveries.
Let me say it again. What I call music that young people like. In fact, I prefer some modern drums myself. Such as HIPHOP, TRAP and so on. Also for this reason I found BIAB LOOPS which was rarely opened in the past.

I newly discovered the "pick a loop" dialog today
I tried to make some LOOPs of my favorite drums and bass, and then put them into the MIXER, and it felt much better.

I'm learning this function. share here.

https://youtu.be/_UkZxEwYZwY

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: MarioD
FWIW - I have been following this thread and think it breaks down into two things:

1-With RealTracks you are limited to what BiaB gives you. That is great for jazz, country,blues, etc with a few snippets of other genres.

2- With MIDI there are no limitations. With good MIDI sounds, a little imagination, and a little MIDI knowledge you can create any genre you want. Note's BiaB styles proves that. BiaB MIDI styles are not set in stone. They can be increased or decrease in tempo with no artifacts. You can change instrument sounds plus a lot of other control over the styles.

I believe that I am in the minority with my song using virtually all MIDI, thus my bias thoughts!

YMMV

The MIDI that the teacher mentioned means the MIDI SuperTrack in BIAB, right?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2023-05-22_034425.jpg (427.44 KB, 82 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
FWIW - I have been following this thread and think it breaks down into two things:

1-With RealTracks you are limited to what BiaB gives you. That is great for jazz, country,blues, etc with a few snippets of other genres.

2- With MIDI there are no limitations. With good MIDI sounds, a little imagination, and a little MIDI knowledge you can create any genre you want. Note's BiaB styles proves that. BiaB MIDI styles are not set in stone. They can be increased or decrease in tempo with no artifacts. You can change instrument sounds plus a lot of other control over the styles.

I believe that I am in the minority with my song using virtually all MIDI, thus my bias thoughts!

YMMV

The MIDI that the teacher mentioned means the MIDI SuperTrack in BIAB, right?

Actually what I said applies to all MIDI, Supertracks, MIDI styles, and any third party MIDI loops. MIDI is MIDI regardless of where it originated.

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

Actually what I said applies to all MIDI, Supertracks, MIDI styles, and any third party MIDI loops. MIDI is MIDI regardless of where it originated.

This is a workflow tip. I haven't really looked into it yet. I usually just use REALTRACK WAV to go directly to STUDIO ONE

I'm going to find some BIAB MIDI working videos to look at.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,919
Posts738,860
Members38,616
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
NETH TANYANG, Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown
38,616 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158