Originally Posted By: Planobilly
I think David's mixing process is pretty logical. It obviously works based on the results I hear in his songs.

There are two things that generally happen, both mixing and fixing.

How that comes about depends on how the source track is arrived at. Did it come out of BIAB or from some other software package? Was it played live, a live vocal?

At that point, before mixing can start, I need to decide what I will fix or redo.

GIGO, garbage in, garbage out! No software, including Melodyne, can fix a bad vocal. Do I play the guitar part again or try to punch it in? Am I capable of ever playing it properly? Am I willing to live with my less-than-stellar musical abilities? How much cringe factor am I willing to deal with?...lol

What is my fundamental reason for involving myself in all these issues? Am I primarily interested in playing/singing music or electronically manipulating music? There are a lot of fun things to do here on this forum. BIAB creates an environment that allows "non-musicians" to create music. It's Pretty cool stuff when you think about it.

You are not going to learn how to mix by reading a book. The only way to learn how to mix is by mixing and having some guidance and competent feedback.

David is a very technically oriented person and likes all this mixing business. I, on the other hand, only mix stuff because I am forced to...lol

Billy

Billy

You sir, just described me to a T as far as mixing. At this point, I would get to the level of a decent mix that doesn't distract from the song! Kind of funny; but also very true!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.