Originally Posted By: rayc
I regularly post incomplete stuff to the Showcase to get feedback & suggestions. I have reasonable gear and less than stellar ears so I need other folk to listen.
I also belong to a recording forum that has a specific section for posting mixes to get feedback, comments, suggestions etc.
It's really useful and I try almost all suggestions from both places...not all stay but they are usually tried.
To lessen the finickertiness of the digital domain & it's tendency to promote endless tweaking/unfinished mixes I recommend
fran ashcroft the analogue approach to digital recording and mixing
I've had a great relationship with the author as my Mastering Engineer for over a decade and have slowly moved closer to his way of mix thinking.
Walking away from a mix, taking a break for an half hour or day, knowing when I'm just treading water or going around in circles and stopping are more important to a mix as EQ & panning.
Placing "mastering" tools on the stereo bus while mixing can be dangerous. Yes, I may want to get a glimpse at how the reverb will respond to a limiter and I'll do that but I won't leave it there.
Mastering isn't fixing just as mixing isn't recording. Mastering is, really, about preparing a track for duplication in a given format. For many of us that's getting a great mix and then getting a good -14 or so LUFS based rendering of that mix. Most of the other things thought of as mastering are mix fixes that should've been done in advance of the mastering.
I get other ears for my mix and then send the mix to great ears for mastering...sometimes it needs a fix and is sent back, other times it needs an EQ tweak across the mix that the ME can do easily enough. Occasionally it just needed limiting/compression adjustment to get it a little louder.
The more ears the better, the better the ears & communication the better still.
My favourite home recorded album is the 1st by the Mull Historical Society. He did a great job recording and mixing but used someone else to master and the result are stellar...
I know Bud Merritt masters really well, I know perhaps four people with the ears for that task.

Wow! Some great information and hope in your response for me! I've always liked your mixes and know you put effort into them. It shows!

You mentioning about mastering tools while mixing being dangerous is one place I believe I've really gone wrong. I don't know what something is going to sound like so I slap those tools on and mix. I have NOT had good results with that approach! Go figure. Thank you for bringing this up.

I have referred to your response several times while trying various options. Thanks again for taking the time to post your response Ray. I found it and continue to find it very useful!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.