dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, David.
Originally Posted by David Snyder
This is beautiful David.
Thanks! laugh
Hey, if you ever need someone who can pull off Tom Waits, give me a holler, but give me enough time to run out and grab some filterless Pall Malls and some Cutty Sark.
I assume the Cutty Sark is to dull the pain of singing your throat raw... wink
Love this tune sir. Well done.
You're too kind.

Thanks again!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #781237 11/06/23 03:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is so, so beautiful! Well done, in absolutely every way. One thing did jump out at me:

"Time for wishing on the starry sky
and forgetting what I've known"

I just love those couple of lines, but the whole thing is superb. The duet of the two singers, towards the end, also really worked, for me. One of those songs that I am going to listen to, for at least one more time.

dcuny #781239 11/06/23 03:51 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wow! This is just a lovely, lovely song. Really like all the little touches that perfectly support the song without sounding forced. Hard work like that is sometimes best when the listener doesn't notice it and just enjoys the song. Love the intertwined vocals at the end, but the male vocal MIGHT be a little further back in the mix. That's my only (slight) quibble. You've really set that bar quite high with this song!!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
dcuny #781249 11/06/23 05:56 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

What a lovely song! The vast amount of instrumentation used in this is incredible and the overall production is deserving of a lot of praise....much more than you will probably receive in the forum! I have a bit of an idea about how much work went into this and appreciate the effort put into the song! The synth vox work is excellent!

Thanks, T

dcuny #781303 11/06/23 11:50 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice gentle intro and then the beautiful melody and a great voice start... very pleasant tune, kind of Christmas/winter feeling with lovely dreamy lyrics "time for wishing on the starry sky/and forgetting what I've known".
Great work with the arrangement, so many nice details, but still simplicity rules. And of course, Natalie doesn't fail smile It would be interesting to hear this sung by a male, though.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

dcuny #781310 11/06/23 12:27 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

A Lovely Opening. Listened to it 4 times before moving on.
I then did the same thing with the first verse. WHAT a Perfect combination of instruments - mixed Perfectly. It is a Gorgeous sound. Quality Producer Guy stuff. Drums, bass, guitar and vocal - perfect levels.

The vocals on Mister Allistacious section gave me chills. The melody sounds like James Taylor should be singing it and the harmonies have a sound close to Joni Mitchell and Linda Ronstadt backing him up....

The string interlude before "Ollie Uncle Elephant" is Tasteful.
The fiddle was Quite impressive. I have yet to read your notes, so I'm hoping you talk about how you got that to "suggest" the melody...
The french horn was nice. The "just a little bit" was a nice touch. And the ending string quartet. Again, Quality Producer Guy stuff...

Your work with the girls is Stunning. Getting closer-to-real all the time (it is getting hard to know since we are hearing these girls sing ALL the time. You get accustomed to it.)

A beautifully written song. (I had to go back and listen again - to the lyrics - because there was so much good stuff going on I couldn't listen to the words...)

This is real quality work.

fj

So I read the notes. Now I'm even MORE impressed. Impressive work on the piano, the strings, the controller. The SWAM instruments are incredible.
So, you played the violin solo on a keyboard?

musician17 #781366 11/06/23 09:23 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, James.
Originally Posted by musician17
This is so, so beautiful! Well done, in absolutely every way. One thing did jump out at me:

"Time for wishing on the starry sky
and forgetting what I've known"

I just love those couple of lines, but the whole thing is superb. The duet of the two singers, towards the end, also really worked, for me. One of those songs that I am going to listen to, for at least one more time.
Thanks!

The duet at the end was just something I stumbled on. The song needed something different, and I'd just gotten the Hayden voice. He's an interesting contrast to Natalie. I started playing around with a counter-line, and... Oooh, that's pretty... happened.

I'm glad that you enjoyed listening! smile

-- David Cuny

DC Ron #781367 11/06/23 09:26 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Ron.

Originally Posted by DC Ron
Wow! This is just a lovely, lovely song. Really like all the little touches that perfectly support the song without sounding forced. Hard work like that is sometimes best when the listener doesn't notice it and just enjoys the song.
Thanks! smile

Love the intertwined vocals at the end, but the male vocal MIGHT be a little further back in the mix. That's my only (slight) quibble. You've really set that bar quite high with this song!!
I went back and forth on placing that vocal part, and I may revisit it again. When I first started with the backing vocals, they were way too up-front. I moved them back, and like magic they sounded much better.

So that part might move back a bit more as well - we'll see.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

-- David Cuny

Torrey Bliss #781369 11/06/23 10:09 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Torrey.
Originally Posted by Torrey Bliss
What a lovely song! The vast amount of instrumentation used in this is incredible and the overall production is deserving of a lot of praise....much more than you will probably receive in the forum! I have a bit of an idea about how much work went into this and appreciate the effort put into the song! The synth vox work is excellent!
Thanks! laugh

I wish the writing for the strings was more melodic. It does the job, but I had planned on writing something a bit stronger. Unfortunately, sometimes there's a wide gap between what I want and what actually comes out. I'm pleased enough with it, but it reminds me that I need to work more on my string writing.

And while I appreciate the sentiment, I'm more than happy with the praise I've gotten from the forum - especially since people here know exactly what it takes to make a song!

-- David Cuny

jannesan #781370 11/06/23 10:16 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Janne.
Originally Posted by jannesan
Very nice gentle intro and then the beautiful melody and a great voice start... very pleasant tune, kind of Christmas/winter feeling with lovely dreamy lyrics "time for wishing on the starry sky/and forgetting what I've known".
Thanks! Writing hard, rocking songs doesn't seem to be my wheelhouse, but sleepy, pleasant songs - I'll take that, thank you very much. laugh

Great work with the arrangement, so many nice details, but still simplicity rules. And of course, Natalie doesn't fail smile It would be interesting to hear this sung by a male, though.
I was quite pleased with how well Natalie sung the song. The other voices didn't seem to come close to her level of expression.

Although... I may try using Natalie's expression with a male voice.

While the male voices are pleasant, but the female voices just seem to have a level of emoting that the male voices can't get close to... yet.

Thanks for stopping and commenting!

-- David Cuny

floyd jane #781376 11/06/23 11:15 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, floyd jane.
Originally Posted by floyd jane
A Lovely Opening. Listened to it 4 times before moving on.
I then did the same thing with the first verse. WHAT a Perfect combination of instruments - mixed Perfectly. It is a Gorgeous sound. Quality Producer Guy stuff. Drums, bass, guitar and vocal - perfect levels.
You certainly know how to make a songwriter feel good about their song! laugh

The vocals on Mister Allistacious section gave me chills. The melody sounds like James Taylor should be singing it and the harmonies have a sound close to Joni Mitchell and Linda Ronstadt backing him up....
Now that's my dream team... Although Karla Bonoff would be nice, too. wink

The string interlude before "Ollie Uncle Elephant" is Tasteful.
I mentioned in my notes that I had higher hopes for it, but my brain wasn't putting out anything particularly distinctive. So there are a some pleasant "gestures" between the parts of the string section, but I really need to spend some more time working on getting my individual string parts to feel more cohesive. I'm happy with how it came out, but I listen to arrangements done by George Martin for The Beatles or America, and think That's how it's done!.

The fiddle was Quite impressive. I have yet to read your notes, so I'm hoping you talk about how you got that to "suggest" the melody...
That part was played using my EWI. It's the same sort of wind controller that Mario uses.

As an aside - breath controlled instruments (using a wind controller or breath controller) are a fantastic development. I can play all sorts of instruments - strings, brass, double reeds - that I'd never be able to play in real life with a degree of control that is staggering. Even if you don't have a breath controller, you can still control the instruments via the mod wheel and play then strictly with a keyboard. But as a singer, I find the wind controller very natural.

I originally played a Sample Modeling cornet on the part. I've got a very schmaltzy playing style, with lots of breath controlled vibrato. I thought it sounded good and provided a good contrast, but my wife (and Deej) thought it was too out of character with the rest of the song, so I changed it to a Sample Modeling violin. I was able to use the same MIDI data, and just swapped out the instruments. I did make a few minor tweaks to the melody to better lead into the vocal entry on the second half.

Your work with the girls is Stunning. Getting closer-to-real all the time (it is getting hard to know since we are hearing these girls sing ALL the time. You get accustomed to it.)
I sent a link to my old choir director, who asked if it was synthetic, or and actual singer. I figure that if a singer knows it's probably synthetic but still has to ask, I must be doing something right. wink

One more tangent. Right now, there are still a limited number of singers available, and it's fairly easy to recognize specific voices.

There's a technology called RVC (retrieval voice cloning) will make it possible to train an neural network to replace an existing voice with another voice. The performance remains, but the timbre of the voice is changed. It's expensive to record all the material needed to create a new voice, but it's fairly cheap to train a neural network using RVC. So I expect in the near future there will be a wider variety of voices available using this sort of technology.

A beautifully written song. (I had to go back and listen again - to the lyrics - because there was so much good stuff going on I couldn't listen to the words...)
Thanks again, I really appreciate your kind praise! laugh

-- David Cuny

dcuny #781518 11/07/23 06:09 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David.

My gosh. This is stunning listening. The orchestration is extraordinary, and the skill with which you have created a musical journey is very, very impressive. Everything fits together perfectly. I love the song; it's melody and lyrics. It's very easy to listen to. I was pulled into the story telling immediately and I was mesmerized by the words, their images and how they flowed. And now that I know a little bit about Synth V, I want to congratulate you on your work with Natalie. It's easy for me to appreciate now just how much time you have spent tweaking the length and strength of the component parts of syllables as well as tweaking performance components. You have achieved a level of realism in Natalie's enunciation and vocalization that I'm still trying to obtain.

All in all, this is one heck of an impressive composition and presentation.

All the best.
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #781536 11/07/23 09:13 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Noel.
Originally Posted by Noel96
My gosh. This is stunning listening. The orchestration is extraordinary, and the skill with which you have created a musical journey is very,
very impressive.
Well... thank you! You've a master of superlatives! smile

It's easy for me to appreciate now just how much time you have spent tweaking the length and strength of the component parts of syllables as well as tweaking performance components. You have achieved a level of realism in Natalie's enunciation and vocalization that I'm still trying to obtain.
I think you've giving me too much credit here - it's more that Natalie's style fits the song, rather than me doing a lot of tweaks. If there was something that wasn't working, my first impulse was to figure out how to change it so it worked with Natalie, not the other way around.

All in all, this is one heck of an impressive composition and presentation.
Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to listen carefully and the thought you put into your response!

-- David Cuny

dcuny #781621 11/08/23 10:47 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
David ...that was gorgeous...every aspect (and there are too many to mention) of the production is exquisite...the melody is beautiful and captivating...please tell Natalie that she did such a great job...you should work with her again wink I loved it!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
dcuny #781681 11/08/23 02:58 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The lyric and melody are heartwarming and had us both smiling as we looked at our “old friends” up on the shelf from our childhoods.

Natalie does evoke Karen Carpenter’s voice in this a lot and the outro duet with Kevin is great.
The other bgv’s were very good and we thought of Beach Boys harmonies during the chorus following the Ollie Uncle Elephant verse. Nice!

We also enjoyed the music box and Celeste and English horn and, wow, the strings were lovely.

Each listen gets better!

J&B

PS Thanks for the backstory and track data.

dcuny #781735 11/09/23 08:15 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Lovely vocal, David.
Like Ray though I think you should ditch the snare. It sounds too mechanical for such a warm and gentle sound overall.
Good one.

Vic

dcuny #781803 11/09/23 05:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
David, you are a master at the synth voices.
Outstanding song, gotta love those Swam instruments.
The vocals are crystal clear, the instruments sound great, and the mix was spot on.
Loved it.

You know you're getting old when a recliner and a heating pad is your idea of a hot date!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
dcuny #781811 11/09/23 06:49 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Gosh! this is absolutely beautiful all around. Great production. Loved it!

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
firesong #781819 11/10/23 01:02 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Dan.
Originally Posted by firesong
David ...that was gorgeous...every aspect (and there are too many to mention) of the production is exquisite...the melody is beautiful and captivating...
Wow! Thanks! laugh

please tell Natalie that she did such a great job...you should work with her again wink
The problem is that I like her voice so much, she keeps getting all the songs! I need to give the other voices a chance, too! wink

Thanks for listening and commenting!

-- David Cuny

Janice & Bud #781820 11/10/23 01:15 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Janice & Bud
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
The lyric and melody are heartwarming and had us both smiling as we looked at our “old friends” up on the shelf from our childhoods.
smile

Natalie does evoke Karen Carpenter’s voice in this a lot and the outro duet with Kevin is great.
Yeah, I think she's awesome in the lower register.

The other bgv’s were very good and we thought of Beach Boys harmonies during the chorus following the Ollie Uncle Elephant verse. Nice!
I staggered the vocals, and forgot about it until I brought it into the DAW. When I heard them in context, I was surprised how nicely they came out.

We also enjoyed the music box and Celeste and English horn and, wow, the strings were lovely.
Thanks! It's nice to finally use some of those pretty sounds in songs! smile

PS Thanks for the backstory and track data.
Of course! It's nice to know that someone reads it. wink

Glad to hear from you!

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,998
Posts739,817
Members38,637
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
PeteA, DeezWaffles, Nash Atkins, Unica College, blacktiger
38,637 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)