As you can see by my specs, I have a pretty lame computer for anything audio. I'm maxed out at 1 GB ram with a single core CPU. I have a 1 TB external drive. While it runs great, and I know it well, I want to consider a new one and be sure it will handle my audio needs and serve me well for some years.

I'm asking here for a little advice on selecting my next PC. Please respond to any of these or other issues as you feel competent. Or reference other relevant forum threads.

I want a desktop, let's talk box only, W7. I'm just a music hobbyist using mostly Band in a Box and Sonar X1, with no other computer applications requiring extraordinary performance. Please do not tell me to just get "all the computer I can afford". And I hope I don't need to get a custom built. Let's say say $800 max neighborhood.

My audio interface is a E-MU 1616 PCI, so I need a box with at least one PCI slot, or dump the 1616. I see many manufacturers today do not offer PCI slots.

My impression is, (and feel free to comment):

1. W7 Pro is more friendly to XP programs than Home Premium. That is of interest to me if it works well and seamlessly.

2. AMD CPU have comparable performance, features, and reliability vs. Intel, i.e., no reason to shy away from AMD.

3. Dual core CPU is virtually required, and, while a quad core may faster, not give the bang for the buck. So my inclination is for dual-core.

Any special considerations for HD, video card, USB3, expandability brands to embrace or avoid?

What else?

Thanks for any help.

kelso

Dell Desktop XPS 8100 W10 HomePrem/64 / Core i5 760 (quad, 2.8GHz) / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB SATA / ViewSonic VG2428wm / EMU1616 PCI / Event ASP6 Active Monitors / BIAB 2019 64 bit (609) / Cakewalk