Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Warning!!
This song contains country
style yodeling. Some listeners
may find this disturbing.

Macon Bound

We found this tune at publicdomain4u.com entitled “Atlanta Bound” and it’s likely that the melody was borrowed from Jimmy Rodgers’ “In the Jailhouse Now.” We had been wanting to do a Rodgers’ song but they aren’t PD so this was a great chance to turn this PD song into something resembling his music. I rewrote almost every line and Janice changed the melody a good bit and this is what came out of the pot after we threw it all together with a Western Swing arrangement.

Vocal: Rodes NT1 interfaced with GB via BlueIcicle.
Mixing: Garageband with BIAB interface.
Mastering: Ozone 5
RT’s
Bass 754: I cut and diced the bass track to get some transitional runs at certain places and to play a simple line through the first yodel. I forget the RT number of the lead bass that I used with the rhythm.
Guitar 1098
Fiddle Rhythm 1544
Fiddle Lead 1871
Mandolin Rhythm 611
Mandolin Lead 1862
Dobro 1868
Piano 1865: Many generations were spliced together to try and come up with a track that was more rhythmic and worked with the vocal. The Western Swing RTs don’t include a rhythm piano so I had to do the best I could with the lead version.
Drums N’ville Swing 8ths

As always comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Hope the yodeling didn’t have you calling for a support group grin It’s a tradition rooted in early country music that Merle Haggard was probably the last to use on occasion.

User Showcase
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Janice and Bud:

Wow. This is really nice. Janice's voice is great, as usual, and the use and arrangement of RTs is very good.

I enjoyed this.

John

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Janice and Bud!

I'm so used to being the last poster in a thread that I thought I'd better jump in now, while the going's good.

Wow! "Macon Bound" is a real toe tapper.

I have to confess, I have a weakness for top quality, traditional 12-bar-blues-styled lyrics. Then, when Janice sings them, well that's the cream in the coffee.

Janice yodeling ... who'd have thought ... But then I realised if Julie Andrews can do it ("Lonely Goatherd"), then of course Janice could do it! No warning was needed at all. In my opinion, whatever Janice does is always worth listening to smile

The clarity of this production is outstanding. Each instrument is readily identified and sits perfectly in the stereo field. It was so very easy to imagine this 'group' performing on stage.

A fantastic listen!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
It sounds like you had fun with this one:)

You nailed the performance, the mix and the production........like always!!

jphillips #245856 03/30/14 07:53 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice & Bud,
Originally Posted By: jphillips

Wow. This is really nice. Janice's voice is great, as usual, and the use and arrangement of RTs is very good.
I enjoyed this.

The yodelling is great. No warning required.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice and Bud,

Great production and Janice's yodel is great!

Thoroughly enjoyed

Alyn

Noel96 #245907 03/30/14 03:05 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jphillips
Janice and Bud:

I enjoyed this.

John

Thanks John!

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hey Janice and Bud!

I'm so used to being the last poster in a thread that I thought I'd better jump in now, while the going's good.

Wow! "Macon Bound" is a real toe tapper.

I have to confess, I have a weakness for top quality, traditional 12-bar-blues-styled lyrics. Then, when Janice sings them, well that's the cream in the coffee.

Janice yodeling ... who'd have thought ... But then I realised if Julie Andrews can do it ("Lonely Goatherd"), then of course Janice could do it! No warning was needed at all. In my opinion, whatever Janice does is always worth listening to smile

The clarity of this production is outstanding. Each instrument is readily identified and sits perfectly in the stereo field. It was so very easy to imagine this 'group' performing on stage.

A fantastic listen!

All the best,
Noel

Thanks for all of that Noel. You're too kind! I'm really pleased that you were able to picture the "band" on stage. That's always our goal. I guess it just comes from our years of playing in bands...that's the feel we love.

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
put that man on the cooling table Love that line!! Really fun song! Well written, produced, and very well sung!! Keep it up! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Warning!!
This song contains country
style yodeling. Some listeners
may find this disturbing.
You guys, I'm laughin' 'til it hurts over this consumer protection warning. Regardless, I liked the tune a lot. I also found the comments about SoundCloud and mixing to be of great interest. I figured there would be competing schools of thought on the mixing/mastering issue. I can see why the artists should be centrally involved in the mixing ... if they've still got enough steam left in them to remain conscious.

Dean

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Another fine piece! Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well,, there's not much left to say that hasn't already been said. Well, maybe 'cept for my backside is still bouncing around in the chair and that ain't a pretty visual!

Totally loved it! We're huge fans of Asleep At The Wheel and similar swung groups, as well as 1940s Big Band. This is fabulous...nuff said!

Al & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Janice and Bud !:))

What a swing on this one !!!:))
...and that yodeling is the icing
on the cake !!!!:)) I enjoyed this
tune very much !!!:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice and Bud...

What an absolute pleasure to listen to... EVERYTHING about this is gorgeous!

The mix is stunning. Like so many of your mixes, it's like that band is right there in front of you! The stops during the fiddle break are terrific! and the walking bass into the next section is perfect...

Very cool the way you rewrote this! Close to a whole new song!

I don't even know where to begin about that girl singing!!! Gives me chills. In a perfect world she would be both rich and famous.

And she can yodel, too? - like we couldn't have guess THAT!!!

Excellent.

floyd

aleck rand #246019 03/31/14 09:33 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: olemon
It sounds like you had fun with this one:)
You nailed the performance, the mix and the production........like always!!

Thanks it was fun!

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud,
I enjoyed this.
The yodelling is great. No warning required.
Guenter

Thanks Guenter. Glad the yodel didn't run you off! smile

Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice and Bud,
Great production and Janice's yodel is great!
Thoroughly enjoyed
Alyn

Thanks you Alyn. It was a fun endeavor!

Originally Posted By: aleck rand
You guys, I'm laughin' 'til it hurts over this consumer protection warning. Regardless, I liked the tune a lot. I also found the comments about SoundCloud and mixing to be of great interest. I figured there would be competing schools of thought on the mixing/mastering issue. I can see why the artists should be centrally involved in the mixing ... if they've still got enough steam left in them to remain conscious.

Dean

Thanks Dean. We always try to look out for the best interests of those listening to our music wink

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice & Bud, in my younger days i spent a considerable amount of time in Athens. A few years ago My wife and I drove 441 from Fl to Gatlinburg and we will certainly do it again. When we do guess what's on the playlist. Yodel Lay He Hoo! Nice job on this on. The writing , the mix, the vocal are all spot on. The dobro intro kills me. The piano sounds like Floyd Domino is in the room with you. This one is a toe tapper a mover and a shaker. Tom

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Totally enjoyable. Full of atmosphere. Bluesy country vocal and the instrument breaks work really well. Fun. Cheers.

dani48 #246142 04/01/14 06:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Another fine piece! Thanks for sharing!

We appreciate that.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Well,, there's not much left to say that hasn't already been said. Well, maybe 'cept for my backside is still bouncing around in the chair and that ain't a pretty visual!

Totally loved it! We're huge fans of Asleep At The Wheel and similar swung groups, as well as 1940s Big Band. This is fabulous...nuff said!

Al & Di

Glad y'all like it. We also listen to Asleep and the classic big band AND Bob Wills!

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Janice and Bud !:))

What a swing on this one !!!:))
...and that yodeling is the icing
on the cake !!!!:)) I enjoyed this
tune very much !!!:))

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani!!

RichMac #246242 04/02/14 05:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Janice and Bud...

What an absolute pleasure to listen to... EVERYTHING about this is gorgeous!

The mix is stunning. Like so many of your mixes, it's like that band is right there in front of you! The stops during the fiddle break are terrific! and the walking bass into the next section is perfect...

Very cool the way you rewrote this! Close to a whole new song!

I don't even know where to begin about that girl singing!!! Gives me chills. In a perfect world she would be both rich and famous.

And she can yodel, too? - like we couldn't have guess THAT!!!

Excellent.

floyd

Thanks floyd!! Reworking PD songs is a lot of fun -- particularly when changing genres with them. We appreciate you noting the live feel -- we work hard on that and we very much appreciate your mix advice.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Janice & Bud, in my younger days i spent a considerable amount of time in Athens. A few years ago My wife and I drove 441 from Fl to Gatlinburg and we will certainly do it again. When we do guess what's on the playlist. Yodel Lay He Hoo! Nice job on this on. The writing , the mix, the vocal are all spot on. The dobro intro kills me. The piano sounds like Floyd Domino is in the room with you. This one is a toe tapper a mover and a shaker. Tom

Thanks Tom! The original PD version based the song in Atlanta but we had to bring it closer to home. Glad you liked the dobro. Those 8 bars are cooked up from three different RT generations.

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Totally enjoyable. Full of atmosphere. Bluesy country vocal and the instrument breaks work really well. Fun. Cheers.

Thank a lot. Glad the vocal and instrumental breaks worked for you!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195