You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#247735 - 04/20/14 10:23 AM [User Showcase] Four years ago today (4-20-2010)
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

OIL ON THE WATER

A song I wrote about the BP oil spill from the Deepwater horizion oil rig and the events surrounding it.

Guitar is live most other tracks are BB/RB.

Enjoy

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#247750 - 04/20/14 03:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Nice work Herb!! I'm guessing that's the "Dire" guitar patch. Very cool feel-a little Neil Young in there! Keep it up. Take care. Greg

#247756 - 04/20/14 05:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Like this Herb. A working man/industrial type song with a dark atmosphere. Cheers.

Edited by RichMac (04/20/14 05:48 PM)

#247793 - 04/20/14 11:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Really like that guitar picking Herb, was that you or Dire?

Josie

#247813 - 04/21/14 08:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Thanks for listening. I had to listen carefully to this on my mp3 player to answer the questions accurately.

Drums and bass as well as dobro are from BB/RB

The acoustic guitar is me strumming in the background. I also play the electric guitar with the lead parts. So yeah, all the guitars in this is me playing them. Mark K from Dire Straits was a picker who had a major influence on my playing style. Notice my forum name? I try.

Perhaps I should consider making some of those there things called "User Tracks" with my lead picking...... in this style...???? Actually that's been something I've had on the back burner for some time..... it's more of a matter of getting the time to sit down and do it.

Glad you liked it.

Edited by Guitarhacker (04/21/14 08:09 AM)

#247822 - 04/21/14 10:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Herb,

great guitar playing.
Nice production.

Guenter

#247856 - 04/21/14 05:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: France, but I'm an ex-pat Brit
mglinert Offline
Expert

Loc: France, but I'm an ex-pat Brit

Nicely sung and very well played. Yes you're wearing your DS influence on your sleeve but I see no harm in that. If there's one of your various crafts that would need developing then in my view it would be that of lyricist.

#247860 - 04/21/14 05:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Digital Angel Offline
Apprentice

Nice production, the bottom end is filled out quite nicely:)

DA...

#247912 - 04/22/14 07:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Excellent song. The oil spill was an eye opener for everyone. Can't forget these catastrophe's and allow complacency to set in. Excellent sing and playing....

#247914 - 04/22/14 08:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Herb, Good story song on an important subject. Very good vocal and the mix is spot on. Nice picking also. Tom

#247920 - 04/22/14 08:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I didn't know what aspect of that event was worse.... the initial disaster and spill, or the politics played regarding the bungled cleanup attempt.

It was the frustration of seeing the politicians use that disaster for their own political agendas rather than placing politics aside, working as public servants, and getting the situation under control and cleaned up as quickly as possible, that resulted in the concept to write this song.

People on the streets simply wanted it stopped and cleaned up while the pols were playing games and letting the oil flow unchecked for weeks.

So I did what I could and wrote a song about it.

#247964 - 04/22/14 06:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Herb,

Sounds good. Well mixed. I think you would have been better off without the Mark Knopfler imitation - it is such a distinctive style you can't hear it without thinking "he's doing Mark Knopfler.." the doubled solo and the guitar fills after that are not derivative - so they aren't distracting from your message - so I think they work better for the song.

There is a real Neil Young quality to the lyric - stuff pulled from several different directions and those kind of shotgun accusations without real explanations so the listener has to fill things in or make up their own story - worked for Neil... a lot of interesting images along the way..

A good flow to the sound (although that last chord cuts kind of abruptly)

floyd

#247992 - 04/23/14 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Floyd, thanks.

I didn't really set out to imitate MK. It may have turned out that way but that wasn't part of the plan. I was simply trying to create a part on the guitar that would fit and be a bit haunting in it's feel. Hence, the reverse bends in a few places.

I read an interview with MK in GP mag. A comment he made really stuck with me. Something to the effect that it's not so much what you play, although that is important, but what you don't play, that really sets your playing apart and imparts feel into the music. That has stuck with me and I try to be tasty with the licks as opposed to packing as many notes into a given limited time as is possible....although I do admire the pickers who can shred the fretboard.

I was into the twin leads thing when I recorded this.... still love a sweet twin, but have backed off a bit.

Yeah... I was just trying to tell the story as I saw it from my POV.

Thanks for the listen.

BTW: Be watching, I'm writing a new one now, lots of cool things in it (licks on tele and taylor) and some production things that you don't hear very often in this forum.... I tried a few new things and they are working pretty nicely..... Still actually in the writing stages, but I have a mock up of the song done... but I'm not releasing anything until the writing is done and it's properly recorded. It could be epic..... or not. We'll see.

Edited by Guitarhacker (04/23/14 08:11 AM)

#248059 - 04/24/14 09:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
I like that MK quote. My favorite bluegrass rhythm player once told me "it took me 2 years to learn all the runs and 20 years to learn when not to do them."

It was sad watching the spill fiasco play out in the news. I finally gave up on the talking heads and started reading local papers on the net -- real folks' stories of how they were affected, etc. That really brought it home. And, I suppose the environmental damage will take decades to play out.

I enjoyed the song and agree with floyd re the Neal Young vibe. Great mix too!
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#248071 - 04/24/14 12:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Herb,
Great song! Thanks for writing it and performing it so well.
This hits pretty close to home for me because where I work. Let's just say the story your telling is right on the money.

SD

#248187 - 04/26/14 11:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

That one hits close to home here too. I was working on a levee project just below New Orleans when this happened. (As fate would have it, that community, Braithwaite, was completely flooded by Hurricane Isaac in 2012.)

Later on in 2010 I was involved in surveying some marsh and coastal areas, oyster beds, etc. Also started to pen a song, but never got far.

I enjoyed this all around. Another heavy topic you tackled.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#248340 - 04/28/14 04:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Four years ago today (4-20-2010) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Herb !:))

This was really nice !
Everything seemed to
function so smooth on
this track !:)) Just great !:))
I liked your vocals best !:))

Cheers
Dani

PG Music News
Give the Gift of Music with Band-in-a-Box®!

Did you wait too long to purchase flowers, a card, or book a restaurant for Valentine's Day? Or, maybe material gifts just aren't your thing?

Why not whip together a song in Band-in-a-Box? It's as easy as typing in some chords, choosing a style, and pressing play!

Or, take it a step further with the help of the Audio Chord Wizard and our StylePicker Song Titles Browser feature!
How???
-Use the Audio Chord Wizard to analyze their favorite song and provide you with the chord progression
-Take that chord progression and start a new project in Band-in-a-Box (choose "Erase the Audio WAV file in BB" | Enable style)
-Head to the StylePicker window, search for a style for that song using the "Song Titles Browser" Feature (top right)
-Choose from the list provided
-Press Play!

Like what you hear? Save it, and viola!

Holiday Hours - Family Day (Mon, Feb 17)

Monday, February 17th is Family Day!

Our hours on this holiday will be:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed.

Regular hours resume Tuesday, February 18th.

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Get Out Your Guitar with Band-in-a-Box®!

Today is Get Out Your Guitar Day! To celebrate, "they" recommend gathering up a few friends with guitars to ROCK!

But, what if you're unable to round up your crew? That's where Band-in-a-Box® comes in!

There are more than 1,100 Guitar RealTracks available in Sets 1-352 by over 50 RealTracks Artists! Jam along with any of them when you create your own song using Guitar RealTracks, or play one of the demo songs for any Guitar you choose in the RealTracks picker dialog - simply choose your Guitar and click on the [Song Demo...] button within that window.

OR take it even farther when you head to the Soloist within Band-in-a-Box® and choose "Trade" when generating a Guitar Soloist track - choose between 2, 4, or 8 bars!

Learn more about the Trade option within Band-in-a-Box in Chapter 9 | "The Soloist" of our Online Manual.

RealBand® Bar Settings Explained

Pressing the [Bar] button or f5 while in the Chords Window of RealBand brings up the Settings for Bar for that song.

What can you do in Bar Settings?
-Key Changes
-Style Changes
-Instrument Changes
-RealTracks Changes (opens a new window)
-Access the UserTracks Development Settings
-assign bars to repeat
-Reset - All Bars or Current Bar

Band-in-a-Box® Bar Settings Explained

Right-click on any bar within Band-in-a-Box®, and you'll gain access to the Bar Settings for your song!
(also accessed by choosing "Settings for Current Bar" within the Edit menu of the program, or clicking f5)

What can you do within this window?
-Edit the number of beats per bar
-tempo changes
-Key Signature changes
-volume changes for each track (Bass, Piano, Drums, etc)
-MIDI Patch Changes
-Harmony Changes (choose which bar & beat!)
-access to UserTracks Development
-Clear the Style
-Access to RealDrums features (including Clearing the RealDrums)
-change the RealTracks at selected bar
-Reset ALL the bars or the selected bar
-Access Print Summary of Bar Settings

We have a video about Bar Settings, if you're interested: Band-in-a-Box® for Windows: Bar Settings Overview

For those that like to read about features, check out the PDF manual, specifically Chapter 6: Making Songs. Or, read this information within the Online Manual.

#TBT - The Release of RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box® 2008!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2007, we added RealDrums, which program users were THRILLED to see!

So, with Band-in-a-Box® 2008 we added RealTracks! Initially, 3 were released:
1. Real Pedal Steel
2. Real Acoustic Guitar
3. Tenor Sax soloing (RealSax)

Do you remember these? We do! We got a chance to "show them off" at Musikmesse that year, and the response was overwhelming - EVERYONE loves RealTracks! Adding real instruments played by top studio musicians adds an exciting human element to all your Band-in-a-Box songs!

Now there are over 2,900 RealTracks available in RealTracks Sets 1-352! Get them ALL with every Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Other new features added when we released Band-in-a-Box® 2008 included:
-MultiStyles
-Medley Maker
-Key signature changes at any bar
-"Fixed Do" Chord Entry and Display
...and more!

To reminisce on all the features released with older versions of Band-in-a-Box®, head to Help | Contents | Features within the program. There are separate lists going all the way back to Band-in-a-Box® Version 7!

New with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows - Artist Browser

Did you know that there are over 160 Artists in our RealTracks & RealDrums library? Learn more about them when you're in the program by clicking aywhere in the "artist bio" within the RealTracks/RealDrums Picker or the [Artist Bio] button in other RealTracks/RealDrums selection dialogs - a Window will open the new Artist Browser dialog.

The Artist Browser dialog:
-Lists all artists and the instruments they play.
-Shows the total number of artists.
-Provides the biography of the artist for you to read
-Offers a text filter if available.
-Has a [More Info] button that launches the PG Music web page for that Artist.
-Also has a [OK - Show Artist RealTracks] button that will go back to the RealTracks/RealDrums selection dialog and list all the RealTracks/RealDrums that the selected artist plays.

Learn more about this new feature when you jump to the "More add-ons (Filter by Instrument, Artist Bios, RealDrum notation and more!)" section of our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows New Features Video.

Forum Stats
31184 Members
63 Forums
62406 Topics
527884 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
jobass, ooka eadio, DTG, Klez, shadowmax

31183 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 142
Noel96 134