Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#275131 - 12/17/14 10:34 AM [User Showcase] DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT...
aleck rand Offline
Expert

A collaboration between Dan Lindroos and Pat Marr:

........BABE, LET'S GO OUT TONIGHT

Lyrics

The night is fine, so fine
for a rendezvouz
babe, let´s get out to dine
just me and just you
a table for two
I´ll order online, online
so, babe, let´s go out and have a great ,great time tonight !

You´re lookin´great, so great
in that lovely dress
maybe getting´late
but don´t take no stress
gonna be great nonetheless
gonna be our special date
so, babe, let´s go out and have a great, great time tonight!

You know I love you so, never seen you so sweet before
that leaves me wanting you more and more
I just want to hold you tight
that´s gonna feel so right, so right

solo

Let´s take some little trips
on the sea of love
may I kiss your lips
I just love them so
let´s take a chance on a dance
and a little romance

....... (by Dani) ©Dani Lindroos 2015

#275153 - 12/17/14 12:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

Nice smooth jazz tune. The vocal is just has that late night, closing down the joint mellowness about it. OK, who's doing what here on this here number?

#275156 - 12/17/14 12:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Great tune!! A little departure for Dani into the classic jazz club sound. I'm guessing Dean plays the jazzy axe and Pat plays the organ solo? (which fits in very sweetly!). I think the verb could come down a bit, and eq on the vocal may make the lyrics a bit clearer. Really nice stuff!! Take care. Greg

#275162 - 12/17/14 01:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Here's the story behind the song:

Dani wrote this charming little dinner tune, and created a very nice accompaniment for it in BIAB. He also contacted Me and Dean to collaborate, but I'm not sure if either of us knew the other was involved. You may already see where this is going... wink

Dani had originally asked me to add a cello part (presumably because Josie's song with cello had just hit the showcase?) I agreed, but when I heard Dani's song I couldn't come up with an application for a cello by itself. To me, the song needed a full string section.. so I asked if I could change assignments. Dani, being the nice and easy to get along with guy that he is, was OK with the change.

So I sequenced the strings note by note in the piano roll. Still not knowing that Dean was involved, I also sent along a rhythm guitar part "just in case". (Its the strumming guitar that is panned somewhat to the right)

Meanwhile, in another part of the world.. New England, to be exact... Dean was actually thinking like an accomplished jazz master... and I literally mean master of all trades.... he was creating an arrangement with customized intro and ending and fascinating guitar, bass and keyboard delights! The entire fantastic intro is Dean!! Wow! Likewise the entire ending was created by Dean and appended to the end of the song as it was delivered to him! I just LOVE stuff like that, but if terrorists lined me up against a wall and said they'd cut my head off if I couldn't write a cool ending.. I'd be a dead man. Dean, on the other hand, would probably end up signing autographs for the terrorists.

Dean also played the organ solo in the middle... and I'm pretty sure he played a lot more than that.. maybe everything except what I played. (I can't say for sure because I worked from an MP3 and I never had all the tracks. But in one of the emails I recall Dani saying that Dean had played everything! )

By this time I was thinking that playing guitar in a song where Dean is also playing is kind of like a dwarf standing beside a giant. No matter how spiffy the dwarf dresses, he just ain't gonna compare well to the giant. Soooo, I begged the other guys to ditch my parts so the two of them could really make it shine (I really like the chord pattern, lyrics, melody and Dani's vocal delivery on this song! And I *ALWAYS * like Deans musical craftsmanship... but in THIS case, his embellishments were so perfect for the song and the intro and ending were so creative and interesting that the song was already excellent before I got there. And how about that organ solo? WOW!)

In the final analysis, adding my stuff just meant that something awesome from Dean got left out. That's a good definition for "Aw, Bummer, man!". It did, however, allow for enough different parts that there was plenty of opportunity to trim redundant parts to keep new stuff happening the whole time.

In conclusion I want to thank Dani for inviting me to participate, and congratulate him on writing and singing such a nice song! And thanks to Dean for his willingness to share his vast musical knowledge and skills with others!

Dani, I hope that you live this song over your holiday in Spain! wink

(PS.. the final mix does have more reverb than any of the copies I worked to...)

#275175 - 12/17/14 02:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Dani/Dean/Pat

Bunches of good stuff here.

Dani - a good write - one of your best (the order online line made me chuckle - very original). Your vocal is excellent. Heck...Frank would be proud!

The organ solo is cool. The guitar, too. The strings are really nice - I think they need to come up in volume - to really make a statement (particularly on the last verse).

The reverb on the vocal needs a little work (a bit less). One idea (just an idea) is to dup the vocal track (make a copy) and leave it completely dry - then mix the two together - maybe panned 15% to either side - to give you that deep reverb, but add some definition to the vocal...

A wonderful collab, guys....

floyd

#275194 - 12/17/14 04:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
What an excellent collaboration. Everything fit right in place. Dani and Dean are both at the top of their game but I have to say the versatility of Pat Marr is a pleasant revelation over the recent past. Not just his musicianship but the ease that he so proficiently crosses genres. Nice job by all.

Charlie

#275208 - 12/17/14 06:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, Dean and Pat !!:))

How great to have been granted the honor
and pleasure to get to collab with such
fine guys like you !!!!!!!!:))

Dean: You turned my mediocre and bleak tune into a masterpiece
with your absolutely magical intros, medios and outros
out of this world and so wonderfully played! Except for Pat´s
rhytm guit and the midistrings, I have a feeling you played
all other instruments, maybe even the drums ?

Pat: your contribution brought a nice touch to the tune
and added color to it in a very nice way, I am grateful for
that and......... Pat, I am looking forward to having your
cello on board in another tune that would perhaps suit it
better than this one !

What have I done to deserve this ?

Have the Most Great Holidays both of you, my brothers in arms !:))

Cheers
Dani

#275236 - 12/18/14 02:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Belgium
FredM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Belgium
Hello composer-team
A lovely story of collaboration around the globe.
Love the result, take my hat off for your musical craftsmanship.
The reverb... I saw a dark brown smokey cafe (bar) with tree old :-) jazz players, I'd put in a roomy reverb
Grtz to you all
Fred

#275243 - 12/18/14 04:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Dani / Pat / Dean,

What to say ...

... the minute that laid-back swing jazz accompaniment started, I knew I was going to enjoy the ride. This is great! The melody is excellent, the musical atmosphere that the backing creates is calm and relaxing, and the presentation is a credit to everyone involved. Like floyd, I thought the strings could be lifted. There is some really nice harmonic movement happening that deserves its share of the spotlight.

All in all ... it's two confident thumbs up from me.

All the best,
Noel

#275249 - 12/18/14 05:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dani/Dean/Pat

Bunches of good stuff here.

Dani - a good write - one of your best (the order online line made me chuckle - very original). Your vocal is excellent. Heck...Frank would be proud!

The organ solo is cool. The guitar, too. The strings are really nice - I think they need to come up in volume - to really make a statement (particularly on the last verse).

The reverb on the vocal needs a little work (a bit less). One idea (just an idea) is to dup the vocal track (make a copy) and leave it completely dry - then mix the two together - maybe panned 15% to either side - to give you that deep reverb, but add some definition to the vocal...

A wonderful collab, guys....

floyd

+1 , Dani- your best write and best vocal!
Dean, fabulous organ solo and a great intro! I love your guitar chord work.
Pat, Nicely composed string section and I heard that guitar in there.

I think if you address the mix issues that floyd pointed out, it's a definite top shelf keeper!!! Tom

#275265 - 12/18/14 06:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
There are a lot of very cool
things that have sprung forth
from this community over the
three years we've been here.

And about the coolest are the
increasing number of collabs.
The power of BiAB and the
internet is, indeed, potent. This
is a great example of what can
happen with the technology
allows members of somewhat
different music persuasions to
come together.

W/o getting redundant with all
the positive comments that have been
made about the three of you (and
for which we much agree), we'll
only say the concept worked, worked
well and every contribution is
standout.

Oh yeah, and we MUCH dig the
"Frank Vibe!" And the cool write.
And the musicianship. And the
smoooooth arrangement and
production.

J&B

Edited by Janice & Bud (12/18/14 06:17 AM)
J&B Website

#275272 - 12/18/14 08:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
+1 to all the comments.

BUT *hides behind settee* I prefer Dani in a less frenetic mode but I can see the beauty of all this.

Some good collaborations on this site

Happy Xmas to all involved

Alyn

#275277 - 12/18/14 08:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: dani48]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Dani,

I should have made clear who did what on this tune. I want to assure Forum members that my contribution was pretty marginal. The drums, bass and piano are RealTracks. I do blow a pretty good B3 solo in there. And the intro and outro arrangements.

No, the real credit has to go to the creative mind behind the tune, i.e., Dani's changes, lyrics and orchestration in BIAB. Bravo!

Dean

#275282 - 12/18/14 09:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Dani, Dean and Pat,
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
What an excellent collaboration. Everything fit right in place. Dani and Dean are both at the top of their game but I have to say the versatility of Pat Marr is a pleasant revelation over the recent past. Not just his musicianship but the ease that he so proficiently crosses genres. Nice job by all.

Thanks Charlie, you said exactly what I think.
Dean, that organ solo is just fabulous.
Merry Christmas to you all.

Guenter

#275288 - 12/18/14 09:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Great work going on here.

Wonderfully atmospheric song and production.

Like Floyd, I think the vocal reverb could be looked at and maybe then lift the voice a bit in the mix - it's such a good vocal delivery that it doesn't want to get lost.

Congrats to all involved.

ROG.

#275303 - 12/18/14 10:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi guys,

After having heard this song, we felt quite relaxed. Exactly a song for this time of the year. Candles on the table, an open fire and a Christmas tree....
Fruitful cooperation!

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#275357 - 12/18/14 04:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

This is pretty cool. Nice playing on the Hammond B3.... loved that retro sound.

The voice needs less reverb and to be a bit more upfront and present in the mix..... Don't hide behind the FX....

I'm no expert on the genre so I won't comment on the tune other than to say I could see this being set in a smokey old jazz club where the band, the singer, the bartender and one or two people nursing a glass filled with scotch on the rocks are the only folks there......

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#275420 - 12/19/14 01:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: Kemmrich]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, ol´friend !

Nice of you to take time to listen
to this little collabtune of ours !
I think Dean answered your
question a little further down!
Wishing you a Merry Xmas and a most
wonderful New Year 2015

Dani for
The Team !

#275421 - 12/19/14 01:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: Greg Johnson]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi Greg !:)

Your guess was (chuckle)
almost right and Dean did
tell us some comments down
who´s playing what !:))
Othervise you are absolutely
right about the mix !:))

Hi, Greg, the Team wishes
you a Most Merry Christmas
and a Most Happy and Creative
Year 2015 !

For the Team
Dani

Edited by dani48 (12/19/14 01:38 AM)

#275508 - 12/19/14 11:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: DAN LINDROOS AND PAT MARR PRESENT... [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool collaboration. Lots going on. Excellent vocal. Back track and playing were also excellent..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Drum Notation Support in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

One of the newest features added to Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Drum Notation Support!
•All the MIDI Drums have drum notation. Play the MIDI Drums and open the Notation window. Then, select the Drums track and you will see drum notation.
•Drum notation can be entered by a user on the Melody/Soloist track.

Learn how to enter MIDI Drums notation when you jump to this topic in our New Features video:
35:18 - New Features: New Track Type - Drum Notation

Customers LOVE the NEW Xtra Styles PAK 6!

Here's what they're saying:
"I can't get enough of the Xtra Styles!"
"These RealStyles are phenomenal!!"
"These are AWESOME!"
"Gypsy Jazz? Yippee!"
"I want them ALL!"
"The Country Xtra Styles are perfect for my songs!"
"Everyone should have these!"

There are 162 more RealStyles now available with Xtra Styles PAK 6 for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 or newer - that means there are more than 900 RealStyles available with Xtra Styles PAKs 1-6!

We're having a SALE! During the month of December, purchase Xtra Styles PAK 6 for just $29! (reg. $49) In fact, each Volume (6 total) is available for just $29 each - we're also offering a special price for a purchase of ALL Volumes 1-6 - for just $159 you can receive ALL 900+ RealStyles!

Review all the different Xtra Styles PAKs for Windows here. Mac user? Click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Order in Time for Christmas!

Looking to put Band-in-a-Box® under the tree? It's not too late!

USA/Canada: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery
Outside of North America: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th.

Order online anytime at www.pgmusic.com and be downloading most products within minutes!

Until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows, we've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Forum Stats
28479 Members
58 Forums
55379 Topics
461433 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Brasso, Tchinn, Clyde001, stephdu35, gaboz

28479 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 400
Pipeline 371