You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#275400 - 12/18/14 09:24 PM [User Showcase] Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song
Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
fgrittner Offline
Expert

Here is my take on the classic Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. It features the original gypsy jazz RTs modeled on Django and S. Grapelli. Love the violin.

http://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com/track/have-yourself-a-merry-little-christmas

Merry Christmas from Minnesota!
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com

#275442 - 12/19/14 05:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: fgrittner]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
So smooth. Very, very nice. You put together a complete package here. Thanks for posting.

Charlie

#275509 - 12/19/14 11:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: fgrittner]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very a cool version of this song. Vocal was excellent. Just the guitar chords in the background. Violin was an excellent fit...

#275552 - 12/19/14 03:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: fgrittner]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Nice twist on a Christmas classic! This is one of my all time favorite X-mas songs (along with I'll be home for Christmas, The Christmas song, and the Christmas waltz). Fun arrangement, very nice vocal, and cool all around production!! Take care. Greg

#275554 - 12/19/14 03:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: fgrittner]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Very cool to hear a gypsy jazz Christmas
tune. Janice and I love Django and Grapelli.

Everything worked well. Vocals, arrangement...
total package.

Kudos!!

#275588 - 12/19/14 09:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: Janice & Bud]
fgrittner Offline
Expert

Thanks all. Have yourself a merry little Christmas....

#275636 - 12/20/14 06:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: fgrittner]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
WOW! You really captured the Hot Club of France feel perfectly.

Perfect mix with an outstanding vocal, what more could one ask for.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#275769 - 12/20/14 08:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: MarioD]
fgrittner Offline
Expert

Thanks, Mario. Merry Christmas !

#275789 - 12/21/14 04:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: fgrittner]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

A big thumbs up... first song of the day.

I hate to be the grinch who stole the Christmas spirit....However: http://www.rightsworkshop.com/10-christmas-songs-you-thought-were-public-domain-but-arent/

Hope you secured the rights to this tune first. With Christmas tunes... unless they are hymns from the mid 1800's or back, and even then, it really requires one to search to be sure the songs are PD. Even the "pros" have gotten crossed up on this in the past. Songs you think are PD aren't and vice versa as well.

That said, I doubt the owner is looking for you....

Edited by Guitarhacker (12/21/14 05:08 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#275834 - 12/21/14 10:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: fgrittner]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Hi Fred,

Herb beat me to it regarding the public domain status of the song. I wanted to post my version of the song several years ago and was dismayed to learn it was still under copyright protection! Bummah!

Having said that, I really like your version of this song! It's refreshingly minimal and just plain well done! And I agree with you and everybody else that the Django style gypsy instrumentation works VERY well for this song!

Congratulations on the creation of such an enjoyable remake of a wonderful song!

Edited by Pat Marr (12/22/14 04:47 AM)

#275919 - 12/21/14 07:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: Pat Marr]
fgrittner Offline
Expert

Thanks for the copyright advice! I am not making any money from this, so I will hope this is a very obscure forum...

Thanks for the positive comments.

#275959 - 12/22/14 04:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: fgrittner]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Well, the forum isn't obscure.... and the rules of the forum specifically state "No copyrighted cover songs.... originals only"....

I was planning to do a cover of Carol of the Bells, but... it's a modern song and copyrighted, so that won't happen now. Nope...my policy is NO COVERS that are copyrighted. I've done covers in the past but some time back I drew a line and since then , none that get released to folks to hear.

It's easy to get mixed up at Christmas because there are so many christmas songs and you really need to check each one. I generally record hymns and can check the CR date in the hymnal. Anything before 1900 is good to go.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#275988 - 12/22/14 06:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Gypsy Jazz Xmas Song [Re: fgrittner]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello Fred,

Nice arrangement of a well-known Christmas song.
Merry Christmas to you too!

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

PG Music News
Accessing Your Band-in-a-Box® Order Online

If you've ordered Band-in-a-Box® on our website, you can access your download links (even if you selected a shipping option) from your Account | My Products page.

Band-in-a-Box® users who purchased their copy elsewhere can also add their purchase to their Account | My Products page. This is a convenient way to register your purchase and access the installation files if you ever need them for future re-installation reasons. To do this, visit www.pgmusic.com/redeem and create your account, then click on My Products and enter your 24-digit Band-in-a-Box® serial number.

Learning with Band-in-a-Box® - Chords & Games

Want to hear what a chord sounds like? Type the chord, then press SHIFT enter. The chord will play as it is entered on to the chord sheet!

You can also familiarize yourself with how different chords sound using the Chord Builder feature of the program, which will audition different chords for you, based on your input.

Want more? Challenge yourself with some ear training with the included Pitch Invasion and Music Replay programs, accessible in the Practice Window!

Pitch Invasion helps to develop perfect pitch as you shoot down "alien" notes invading from above, and Music Replay develops your pitch, rhythm, and melody recognition by replaying what the program plays, in note, rhythm, or melodic modes.

Pitch Invasion & Music Replay can also be accessed within the bb\Songs and Lessons\Ear Training folder for the program.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Russian for Windows is Here!

Мы хорошо потрудились и добавили в "Band-in-a-Box®" 50 новых функций и изумительную коллекцию нового контента, включая 202 новых стиля RealTracks (что в два раза больше 101 стиля, которые мы часто выпускали в прошлом), новые стили RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, инструментальные этюды (Instrumental Studies), транскрипции для стилей RealDrums и др.!

КУПИТЬ/ОБНОВИТЬ И ЗАГРУЗИТЬ!

Listen to the Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio Today!

You may know about our User Showcase Forum, but have you heard about our Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio?

What a great way to listen to all of the Band-in-a-Box® creations from program users just-like-you! It's as easy as choosing a playlist and pressing play!

Click here to access our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, and don't forget to bookmark your new favorite page!

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Make sure to check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows review from Sound-Guy (Dennis) at www.gearslutz.com: click here.

Sound-Guy has been using Band-in-a-Box® for many, many, many, many, many years - and we still managed to surprise him with some great new features! Read his latest review to learn more about his favorite additions for 2020!

"Band-in-a-Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical “talent”. It also provides educational and training tools for keyboardists and guitarists. It’s easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. BIAB provides education, inspiration, a “live” band to aid in practicing, and anything from backing tracks to full performances for recording."
-Sound-Guy, www.gearslutz.com

How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Forum Stats
32644 Members
68 Forums
65619 Topics
556380 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
thietkenoithat, Swivel Rocker, Igael79, CarlosCon, ShaneGuitar

32643 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 144
VideoTrack 124