Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#278772 - 01/08/15 07:51 AM [User Showcase] Dust on the Floor (V2)
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

This is my newest song... started writing it in the last few days of the old year... finished it up as of today. I was changing lyrics in it this morning.

It's an observation of life in this corner of the world. Recently, our small town (population 300) had the General Store close...owner retired. His grandfather opened the store in the early 1900's... and another of my customers is barely keeping the doors open. Down to one employee from about 10.

EDIT: Per some commentary, I have posted Version 2... minor changes to the song... EQ high end tamed a bit, and some words punched

Dust On The Floor

Lots of detail work in this project. Hope you enjoy it. Comments and crits are welcome.

Tracks in the song:

Bass 1423
Piano 2049 (2 tracks)
Acoustic Guitar 1 822
Acoustic Guitar 2 824
Electric Guitar 830
Mandolin 2043
Dobro 2116 (2 tracks)
Fiddle 2119 (2 tracks)
B3 689
Drums Nashville waltz
Vocals (5 tracks)

I was planning to add live acoustics to this but it would have been too full so I opted to leave them out and this is a 99.9% Real Track piece of work..... yeah, only the very last piano chord (F) was a Steinburg concert Grand. I needed it for a smooth artifact free natural fade.... I told you there was a lot of detail work in this.

The hardest thing was working with 3/4 tracks and then when I wanted to add the B3.... there were no 3/4 B3 tracks.... but I decided to simply render it anyway and it turned out OK....

Lots and lots of envelope nodes in this for editing and production....

Edited by Guitarhacker (01/09/15 08:16 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#278791 - 01/08/15 09:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Cool song!! I like the sentiment. David Wilcox has one about Ashville with a similar theme, and another writer I heard did a song called "I Miss Main Street". I think a lot of us old timers have these thoughts. Arrangement works great-really liked the mandolin/fiddle alternating solos. Nice vocal as well. Great work! Take care. Greg

#278796 - 01/08/15 09:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Herb,

Vivid imagery in this and I especially like the chorus. Great arrangement and vocal.

Josie

#278798 - 01/08/15 09:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: The Heartland....Kansas
chulaivet1966 Offline
Expert

Loc: The Heartland....Kansas
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It's an observation of life in this corner of the world. Recently, our small town (population 300) had the General Store close...owner retired. His grandfather opened the store in the early 1900's... and another of my customers is barely keeping the doors open. Down to one employee from about 10.

I gave a listen GH.
You nailed the lyrical imagery for this subject....well done.

Carry on....

#278820 - 01/08/15 11:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Belgium
FredM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Belgium
Herb,
I enjoyed this song. It probably kept you busy quite some time but the result is fine. Sad story well brought. And the grand piano finishes it of in style smile
G
Fred

#278821 - 01/08/15 12:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Greg Johnson]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool song!! I like the sentiment. David Wilcox has one about Ashville with a similar theme, and another writer I heard did a song called "I Miss Main Street". I think a lot of us old timers have these thoughts. Arrangement works great-really liked the mandolin/fiddle alternating solos. Nice vocal as well. Great work! Take care. Greg

Thanks.... I'm not familiar with those songs.... I know Alan Jackson did a song about the common man or something like that. Sad to see our little towns in decline..

#278822 - 01/08/15 12:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Sundance]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Herb,

Vivid imagery in this and I especially like the chorus. Great arrangement and vocal.

Josie

every now and then I kinda get one right.... I like to paint pictures with words.... I thin this one got that job done.... thanks for seeing that as well.

#278823 - 01/08/15 12:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: chulaivet1966]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I gave a listen GH.
You nailed the lyrical imagery for this subject....well done.

Carry on....

and again.... yes... thank you.

#278825 - 01/08/15 12:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: FredM]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: FredM
Herb,
I enjoyed this song. It probably kept you busy quite some time but the result is fine. Sad story well brought. And the grand piano finishes it of in style smile
G
Fred

Thank you....actually,this was a fairly quick write. I started the song in the last week of December and actually had it recorded and almost ready to go Monday of this week when I decided to make a key change and a major lyrical revision....

so I started from scratch...literally. That was one of those.... do I really wanna start over, moments......deleting completely the former version before starting over again just 2 days ago. I recorded the 4 backing vocal tracks and some changes to the main vox track today.

#278863 - 01/08/15 03:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Herb,

This is excellent - my new favorite of your songs. Great lyric, vocal and overall production.

Bob

#278878 - 01/08/15 04:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Herb,

As the others before me have already said, there is a great deal of detail in these images. It's good to hear song in waltz time. I liked it.

I mention the following because you asked for comments. One thing that popped into my mind as I listened was that, on my system, the mix had a great deal of high-end EQ. Because of this, the piano (in particular) sounded a little thin at times.

It's a great ending you devised for this one.

Overall, I enjoyed the ride!

Regards,
Noel

#278898 - 01/08/15 05:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Wow, just a great song! Excellent lyrics to go with a super arrangement! Lots of space for everything to shine.

much enjoyed

#278923 - 01/08/15 10:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Herb
Sadly, a sign of the times. The song really tells the journey and destiny of a country store so well.
Thanks for sharing
Trev
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#278947 - 01/09/15 04:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: rsdean]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Herb,

This is excellent - my new favorite of your songs. Great lyric, vocal and overall production.

Bob

Thanks Bob.... each song I write becomes my new favorite.... this one included.

#278948 - 01/09/15 04:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Noel96]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Herb,

As the others before me have already said, there is a great deal of detail in these images. It's good to hear song in waltz time. I liked it.

I mention the following because you asked for comments. One thing that popped into my mind as I listened was that, on my system, the mix had a great deal of high-end EQ. Because of this, the piano (in particular) sounded a little thin at times.

It's a great ending you devised for this one.

Overall, I enjoyed the ride!

Regards,
Noel

Noel, thanks for listening.... I will have to look into the EQ on the high end.

In writing this, I normally opt for 4/4 but the groove didn't work in that so I switched to 3/4...I hate calling it waltz time because so much 3/4 isn't a waltz. 6/8 also has a similar groove. I added an extra measure to every verse and chorus in the song to keep the laid back feel.

As I mentioned previously, I like to paint mental pictures in the minds of the listeners..... where you can see the paint on the window frames, and the weeks in the cracks on the sidewalks.....

Again.... thanks for listening.

#278955 - 01/09/15 05:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Not often we get treated to a song that follows the traditional map of a classic style country song but here it is. This one could have and likely would have fit right in the classic years if it had been released back in the day. It's not always how much time you spend on recording, mixing and producing a song, it's more how you spend the time. This is a good example. I like this tune a lot.

EDIT FOR VERSION TWO: The changes made an already excellent song flow a bit better. Also, the inference you took this 'classic' song would not be popular on today's country radio isn't due to this song lacking quality, relevance or emotion, it is because this song HAS all of those qualities & not the sameness of today's rappin' country where the music, lyrics and artist are all interchangeable. It's music like this that guides me to listen to CD's rather than radio and I'm not so sure that given the opportunity, music produced again in the 'classic' style could not enjoy a resurgence in mainstream radio popularity.

Charlie

Edited by c_fogle (01/09/15 08:52 AM)

#278958 - 01/09/15 05:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Herb, all your many skills are on full display with this one. Maybe your best write. Certainly your best vocal. A polished mix and great editing of the real tracks. This all adds up to a winner. ( very small, tiny, barely even noticeable nit- I would have changed the word "growing" to "grows". Flows a little better with one less syllable. Without question my favorite of yours so far. Tom

#278963 - 01/09/15 06:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: gruverider]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wow, just a great song! Excellent lyrics to go with a super arrangement! Lots of space for everything to shine.

much enjoyed

I'm glad you like this... thanks for listening.

I always try to create space and if there isn't space, and I can't make it, that part is not forced into the space. Make sense? Less is more...

#278964 - 01/09/15 06:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: VideoTrack]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Herb
Sadly, a sign of the times. The song really tells the journey and destiny of a country store so well.
Thanks for sharing
Trev

I'm glad you listened and enjoyed the song. Yes, certainly a sad story that is replicated tens of thousands of times all across this country. It speaks to the general decline in this country.... lose the roots and you lose everything connected to the roots.

#278966 - 01/09/15 06:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Not often we get treated to a song that follows the traditional map of a classic style country song but here it is. This one could have and likely would have fit right in the classic years if it had been released back in the day. It's not always how much time you spend on recording, mixing and producing a song, it's more how you spend the time. This is a good example. I like this tune a lot.

Charlie

Yes, as I wrote this, I knew it's not what is popular... when was the last time you heard a song on the radio or TV in 3/4 time? But it was one that screamed out to be written. And so I did.

Glad you and others are enjoying this song.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34902 Members
66 Forums
70911 Topics
614279 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Fiddlecat, cebodorr1, emeraldopia, jojo34, otomawak

34901 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 216
VideoTrack 214