You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#291955 - 04/17/15 08:23 AM [User Showcase] A Heart To Break
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

A love song - nestled inside a break-up song.

Janice Merritt provides the perfect harmony.

A HEART TO BREAK

all my friends wonder what i'll do
will i try to make this hard on you
they don't understand forgiving you
for leaving me with this heartache
but until you, i never knew
i had a heart to break

never knew how it felt to love someone
   from the very depths of my soul
   to need someone like the air i breath
   my heart beating out of control
   to finally feel the fire inside
   when passion awakes
   until you, i never knew
   i had a heart to break

i never had a dream come true before
you showed me just what hearts are for
i'll never regret loving you
no matter how long the healing takes
'cause until you i never knew
i had a heart to break

never knew how it felt to love someone
   from the very depths of my soul
   to need someone like the air i breath
   my heart beating out of control
   to finally feel the fire inside
   when passion awakes
   until you, i never knew
   i had a heart to break

until you, i never knew
   i had a heart to break

The Band...
RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1767:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16 Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 2024:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryJohn Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1760:Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Harmony: Janice Merritt (thanks, sis!...)
(...and thanks Bud, too! - it's a package deal)

Comments encouraged.
Thanks for listening.

floyd

#291962 - 04/17/15 09:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hey I got in first with this one! That makes a change.

Now that is definitely how to write a love song! You two just keep doing it and doing it so well.

#291979 - 04/17/15 12:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Floyd / Janice,

Beautiful song - love the vocals on this. Great job - really enjoyed it.

Bob

#291988 - 04/17/15 12:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: New Jersey
robsmusic Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New Jersey
Another great song in your string of consistently great songs!

-rob

#292004 - 04/17/15 02:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Floyd and Janice,

Beautiful love song. Very well done!

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#292006 - 04/17/15 02:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Edmonton,Canada
big741 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Bravo!

Great job.

Thanks for the music,
Dan

#292016 - 04/17/15 03:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: robsmusic]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hey I got in first with this one! That makes a change.

Now that is definitely how to write a love song! You two just keep doing it and doing it so well.

Thanks, Joanne...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd / Janice,

Beautiful song - love the vocals on this. Great job - really enjoyed it.

Bob

Bob - thanks. I appreciate your support...

Originally Posted By: robsmusic
Another great song in your string of consistently great songs!

-rob

rob - it is nice to see you "pop up" here. thank you. would love to see another song from you - they are always spectacular...

#292025 - 04/17/15 03:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Floyd.

A great song and well up to your usual standard of professionalism. Ok, so one thing I might have done differently. Not to say better, you understand, just different.

If Janice's vocal was going to feature as a duet, I'd have raised it up a bit. If it was going to be backing vocals I'd have tracked it up several times, put it into stereo and left the volume where it was.

It's not often I can find anything to change about your productions, so I hope you'll not be offended.

ROG.

#292027 - 04/17/15 03:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Fridays with floyd. What a great way to kick off the weekend. A beautiful write. A beautiful production. A beautifully presented vocal. Everything you touch comes up gold. I have to mention Sis hit a grand slam on the harmony. I think the song is fantastic, but that harmony takes it up a level. A great idea to keep her volume higher than your normal harmony level. Another hit in a long line of masterpieces. Just so damn good. Tom

#292048 - 04/17/15 05:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
PatrickH Offline
Apprentice

Floyd,
I wish I had thought of that. Great spin on a heartbreak song. Bravo.
Patrick

#292054 - 04/17/15 06:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Really love the lyrics on this - great write. I'm especially in line love with your hook ...."cause until you I never knew I had a heart to break"

Wish I'd thought of that one too.

Josie

#292063 - 04/17/15 06:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Your music is so much a Forrest Gump box of chocolates, We never know what we're getting until until we start the song.

Ever changing and unique and not really ever 'in the style of' or this 'sounds like' anyone else.

It is always so much fun to see one of your new posts on the User Forum.

This is another top notch presentation. Thanks for posting.

Charlie

#292098 - 04/18/15 05:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: big741]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Floyd and Janice,

Beautiful love song. Very well done!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, guys. We appreciate that....

Originally Posted By: big741
Bravo!

Great job.

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Thanks, Dan...

#292117 - 04/18/15 09:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Floyd and Janice,

just beautiful!

Guenter

#292127 - 04/18/15 10:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Wonderful write with a great hook!

Stark and passionate vocals, great mix!

I enjoy your mix of acoustic guitar and acoustic piano here.

#292144 - 04/18/15 12:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Top notch everything!! Great vocal team, beautiful relatively sparse arrangement which builds nicely (strings are perfect), excellent mix. There are some elements of great songwriting which stand out so clearly here:
1) Melody is simple and sweet. There is a nice motif which makes the melody catchy enough to sing after one listen, and pretty enough to want to.
2) A lyrical angle which is quite unique, and positive. There aren't a lot of songs (any?) which constructively address the upside of a failed relationship. And, the singer takes the moral high ground. I believe the audience likes to sing along with songs where they relate to the message of the singer. And, the message, though unique, is not hard to relate to or contrived. I love some great bitterness as much as the next guy (Dylan's LIKE A ROLLING STONE) but this message is refreshing and sweet.
3) The song oozes craft without being over-crafted. The lyrics are simple, straightforward, and understandable on the first listen. The emotion is great. I hear this as a song that could play during the credits of a film with the same theme. Watch out Dianne Warren!!

Great work Floyd. An instant classic!! Take care. Greg

Edited by Greg Johnson (04/18/15 11:15 PM)

#292157 - 04/18/15 02:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: ROG]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

A great song and well up to your usual standard of professionalism. Ok, so one thing I might have done differently. Not to say better, you understand, just different.

If Janice's vocal was going to feature as a duet, I'd have raised it up a bit. If it was going to be backing vocals I'd have tracked it up several times, put it into stereo and left the volume where it was.

It's not often I can find anything to change about your productions, so I hope you'll not be offended.

ROG.

ROG - comments on songs never offend me. LOL... if you knew where I've been... smile You are a pro - and I respect your opinion. In this case, you sort of defined exactly where I wanted the harmony on this to sit... almost a duet, but still a harmony - and I think I achieved that. (If you see Tom's comment, I think he would agree with me). A Linda Ronstadt-J.D.Souther Faithless Love thing. Part of the "problem" (if there is one) is that Janice is just so danged good it's hard not to "key in" on her voice. (It makes it hard to mix because of that). I get what you are saying and I think it depends on where you listen. I mixed this one more for headphones than speakers and I think in headphones it has a very intimate blend... (at least that's gonna be my excuse here smile ).

I really appreciate your ears and will always take note of your comments/concerns and suggestions...

#292185 - 04/18/15 07:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
floyd,

What a magnificent presentation all around!

I've never before heard a song that takes a broken relationship and uses it as a lens to look at what was valuable. That's very clever lyric writing.

The melody and harmony are fantastic, too. In particular, I really like the way that a number of melody notes that create suspensions resolve upwards rather than downwards. For example, right at the start you sing "all" and resolve it musically up to "my"; then "won-" behaves similarly with "-der". This pattern continues and becomes one of the melody's signatures. Now that's classy.

Janice's harmonies are terrific and blend perfectly. Your and her voice sound so very good together.

I enjoyed this a great deal.

All the best,
Noel

#292202 - 04/19/15 12:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Hi Floyd. Strong melody and a passionate vocal in another fine song.
Lovely bit of violin in there too.

Am a little confused by the rhyme scheme in verse one.
AAABAB. Verse two AABCBC.

Wonderful sympathetic harmonies from Janice.
Very enjoyable . Cheers.

Edited by RichMac (04/19/15 12:13 AM)

#292227 - 04/19/15 08:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Heart To Break [Re: PatrickH]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Fridays with floyd. What a great way to kick off the weekend. A beautiful write. A beautiful production. A beautifully presented vocal. Everything you touch comes up gold. I have to mention Sis hit a grand slam on the harmony. I think the song is fantastic, but that harmony takes it up a level. A great idea to keep her volume higher than your normal harmony level. Another hit in a long line of masterpieces. Just so damn good. Tom

Tom - thanks for the nice words... appreciate that. Janice makes everything she touches special. Couldn't ask for better partners than J&B...

Originally Posted By: nobilis
Floyd,
I wish I had thought of that. Great spin on a heartbreak song. Bravo.
Patrick

Patrick - nice to see you back around! Thanks for taking this for a spin...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

Forum Stats
28434 Members
58 Forums
55237 Topics
460046 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Coskun, sbroach, GEORGES SCHIRO, Yellowkey, Hagglui78

28434 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 360
Pipeline 329