You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#311534 - 09/24/15 01:33 PM [User Showcase] Damn It Sure Is Hot
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Ok, Where was I? I’m trying to remember what I was working on. I had to take care of some business which required my full attention. But now I’m back and ready to resume. Life is definitely better when accompanied by music. My apologies for not commenting on the great songs that were posted while I was away. I will go back and listen but I will not bump them to the first page so I don’t disrupt the natural flow.

Comments and Suggestions encouraged. Tom

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13218306

My Vocals and guitars

Multiple Loops

RealTracks in song: 2448:Guitar, Electric, Background, PopDreamyBrent Ev 085

PG Percussion Loop- Conga

Damn It Sure Is Hot

I used to check the weather by looking at the sky

Now i just check out my phone and I don’t go outside

They say the weather’s changing whether it is or not

one thing I can tell you Damn it sure is hot

Damn It sure is hot out here it’s hard to take a breath

Mother Nature’s warning us I think she’s scared to death

This is all we’ve got

My wife says her prayers every night while I just fall asleep

Thanks the Lord above us all and prays our souls to keep

She’ll put a word in for me since I don’t take the time

God please say we’re not too late since we ignored the signs

Damn It sure is hot out here it’s hard to take a breath

This is all we’ve got

©2015 Thomas Adams

#311556 - 09/24/15 03:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Damn! That song sure is hot!

Loved the dynamics, and the natural feel you achieved by playing much of the song yourself! In so doing, you were able to create recurring themes on multiple tracks that held everything together better than glue!

I envy your intellect Tommy. Meeting you in person allowed me to witness the depth of thought that is an integral part of who you are and how you address life and your music.

You always manage to write music that is immediately likeable, and this was no exception. Clever word pictures interwoven with equally clever intertwined guitar passages to create an end result that is every bit as much mood as it is melody...

Indeed, that song is hot!

#311564 - 09/24/15 03:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Damn it sure was good.

#311566 - 09/24/15 04:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

That sounds gooooood!!!!

Are there RT's in that?

Things I hear tell me no.... but IDK.

Nice writing too.

Acoustic sounds superb as does the vocals..... and everything else too.

That's the level of professionalism in the sound that everyone should aspire to achieve.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#311572 - 09/24/15 05:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
My favorite from you. Enjoyed this from start to finish. Missed you while you were away from the forum but this is a great comeback song.

Charlie

#311597 - 09/24/15 07:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: Guitarhacker]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Damn! That song sure is hot!

Loved the dynamics, and the natural feel you achieved by playing much of the song yourself! In so doing, you were able to create recurring themes on multiple tracks that held everything together better than glue!

I envy your intellect Tommy. Meeting you in person allowed me to witness the depth of thought that is an integral part of who you are and how you address life and your music.

You always manage to write music that is immediately likeable, and this was no exception. Clever word pictures interwoven with equally clever intertwined guitar passages to create an end result that is every bit as much mood as it is melody...

Indeed, that song is hot!
Pat, you leave me at a loss for words. You have a way of saying things that just stop me in my tracks. So I will just say glad you liked it. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Damn it sure was good.
Thanks for listening and commenting. Tom
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That sounds gooooood!!!!

Are there RT's in that?

Things I hear tell me no.... but IDK.

Nice writing too.

Acoustic sounds superb as does the vocals..... and everything else too.

That's the level of professionalism in the sound that everyone should aspire to achieve.
Thanks Herb. The dreamy guitar real track referenced above is in the choruses and a couple of fill spots. The vast majority is loops. The real tracks can work well with layered loops and I originally had more but I ended up deleting them because it was getting way too busy. Glad you liked it. Tom

#311599 - 09/24/15 09:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Akron, Oh
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Akron, Oh
I really appreciate lyric writing like this. Both literal and symbolic. Nice work.

I do not work ANYWHERE!

#311604 - 09/25/15 02:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hey Tommy. You are the master my friend.

#311605 - 09/25/15 03:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Love the guitar work Tommy.

Regards,

Bob

#311606 - 09/25/15 04:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

Dang, I should be using your tune as a reference track for my mixing endeavors! It is magnificently mixed and just sounds great. Wonderful dynamics, just pro from top to bottom.

Mighty fine lyrics, too.

#311615 - 09/25/15 05:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: 90 dB]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
My favorite from you. Enjoyed this from start to finish. Missed you while you were away from the forum but this is a great comeback song.

Charlie

Hey Charlie, Glad to be back. Thanks for the nice words. Tom
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I really appreciate lyric writing like this. Both literal and symbolic. Nice work.
Eddie, I'm glad you liked the lyrics. I tried to keep it simple. By now everyone should realize we have a big problem with the environment. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hey Tommy. You are the master my friend.
Thanks Rob, I like to think I am the master of my own universe, but sometimes it doesn't work out like that! Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Love the guitar work Tommy.

Regards,

Bob
Bob, As much as I would like to take credit for all the guitar parts, a lot of it is loops - especially the really cool parts. I just figure whatever gets you there. Thanks, Tom

#311628 - 09/25/15 08:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

This is one of the best songs I've heard in a LONG time.

I'm NOT talking just on the forum. I want this to be on the radio - so I can anxiously wait for the next time it will play.

There are a lot of good productions that come through here (the forum). This may be THE best. EVER.

The songwriting is perfect. Perfect. I do not say that lightly.

"Damn It sure is hot out here it’s hard to take a breath
This is all we’ve got
Damn it sure is hot"

Perfect. I wish I had written that. (Truly something I do not say lightly).

"My wife says her prayers every night while I just fall asleep
God please say we’re not too late since we ignored the signs"

Ditto. (see above)

The opening acoustics are stunning. Did you play that? or parts of that? If loops, where did they come from???

Tasty guitar licks ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! Are any of those loops? or all you?

You did not list a RealDrum... when the full kit comes in, what is that?

Your best vocal ever! Jimmy Buffett needs this song, but it would be second best (vocal).

What a nice ending! The cymbal roll... where did that come from.

You need to be pitching this. Again, something I do not say lightly - because it is almost an impossible endeavor these days. But THIS should be on the radio. And you deserve to make a bunch of money from this.

A perfectly built production. A perfectly built SONG (lyric AND melody)! A true lesson in "how it is done".
(I would LOVE to see a snapshot of your DAW screen!)

Tom, take this WOW!!! and blow it up 10 feet tall.

floyd

#311629 - 09/25/15 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Tommy,

great song. Like the lyrics and the performance.
Especially the vocals.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#311630 - 09/25/15 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

OK, I should have written what Floyd did! But, as usual, he uses words to better effect that I do.

#311658 - 09/25/15 11:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy
Hello,

nice song very relaxing.
I like the chords you used.
Great voice and melody on the base.

Hello.

Sergio.

Sergio

#311661 - 09/25/15 11:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:
You need to be pitching this. Again, something I do not say lightly - because it is almost an impossible endeavor these days. But THIS should be on the radio. And you deserve to make a bunch of money from this.

It may be worth mentioning that there are other music markets besides Nashville. Niche markets don't get near the number of submissions as the mainstream places.

In the same sense that Josie will probably succeed in marketing all the rhino songs to a rhino conservation group, there are probably a BUNCH of environmental groups who would license a song like this for ads. They might even get behind it and push for air time in order to promote awareness.

In short, there is life beyond Nashville. And therein (niche/special interest groups) lies the best chance for people like us to market our songs.

#311677 - 09/25/15 01:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: Kemmrich]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Dang, I should be using your tune as a reference track for my mixing endeavors! It is magnificently mixed and just sounds great. Wonderful dynamics, just pro from top to bottom.

Mighty fine lyrics, too.
Most of the credit for the sound should go to the whoever recorded the loops. I am glad you came by and commented Kevin, Tom

#311679 - 09/25/15 01:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This is one of the best songs I've heard in a LONG time.

I'm NOT talking just on the forum. I want this to be on the radio - so I can anxiously wait for the next time it will play.

There are a lot of good productions that come through here (the forum). This may be THE best. EVER.

The songwriting is perfect. Perfect. I do not say that lightly.

"Damn It sure is hot out here it’s hard to take a breath
This is all we’ve got
Damn it sure is hot"

Perfect. I wish I had written that. (Truly something I do not say lightly).

"My wife says her prayers every night while I just fall asleep
God please say we’re not too late since we ignored the signs"

Ditto. (see above)

The opening acoustics are stunning. Did you play that? or parts of that? If loops, where did they come from???

Tasty guitar licks ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! Are any of those loops? or all you?

You did not list a RealDrum... when the full kit comes in, what is that?

Your best vocal ever! Jimmy Buffett needs this song, but it would be second best (vocal).

What a nice ending! The cymbal roll... where did that come from.

A perfectly built production. A perfectly built SONG (lyric AND melody)! A true lesson in "how it is done".
(I would LOVE to see a snapshot of your DAW screen!)

Tom, take this WOW!!! and blow it up 10 feet tall.

floyd
First of all, I want to make this perfectly clear. The majority of this is a full band loop that was sliced, diced and spliced to make an arrangement. All the really cool stuff was already there. All I did was add some guitar parts and I used the dreamy guitar Brent real track in the choruses. The acoustics are Apple loops and I used a stereo spread so they kind of phase back and forth across the field. The drums are part of the full band loop. I thought the vocal was a bit pitchy in spots but as I have said many times before my vocal chops are limited. Because the loops were so well recorded a lot of the hard stuff was already taken care of. That’s the beauty of loops and Real Tracks. All we have to do is work up a viable arrangement then put the final touches in the mix. Thanks for the over the top comments about the write. It can’t be much more simple than that. Again I really want to stress that the chorus was a full band loop that only required being dropped in the right spot. The loops were put together in Garageband and then exported as one stereo track to Logic where everything else was done. Thank you for taking the time to write this best ever review. Tom

#311693 - 09/25/15 04:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hey Tom,

Like you, I've been absent from the forum for a bit. To come back to this, wow! After reading what you've written above in reply to floyd, I'm amazed at what loops can do in the hands of competence.

As everyone (without exception) before me has said, this is fantastic. Songwriting and song-presentation doesn't get any better than this anywhere.

Such talent is obviously not a surname thing. How I wish it were smile

All the best,
Noel

#311697 - 09/25/15 04:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot [Re: tommyad]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Wow! just wow. This is a great song! The lyrics are flawless, tight, work on more than one level!

Wonderful

and your vocals are perfect for this style and melodic cadence

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34902 Members
66 Forums
70913 Topics
614307 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
MuchHustle, Fiddlecat, cebodorr1, emeraldopia, jojo34

34902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 218
VideoTrack 214