Options
Index
#312281 - 09/30/15 03:17 PM [User Showcase] Optimistic Blues
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Hi Everyone.

Pressure of work and a few weeks in France has kept me away from the forum for a while, but I'm back now though suffering from ferry-lag. (Like jet-lag but slower.)

This is a song by one of my more "mature" students Peter, who asked if I would post the link as he hates computers! It's unusual for the forum in that it's all recorded into Powertracks without using any form of click track or metronome. Peter came to us to see if he could sing, but he's also sharpening up his guitar work whilst he's here. This is his first song and he's playing the Dobro rhythm guitar and singing. After that, we played in kick drum and hi-hat samples live from the keyboard to match his timing fluctuations. Next, the bass was added by Jack, who at 11 is at the other end of our student age range. Not an easy task, matching the tempo without a full drum track. Finally, I added a bit of lead guitar. Because there was no click track, nothing could be copied-pasted and everything had to be played from start to finish, just like the old days.

So here it is - very few tracks used and very little in the way of effects. The whole project was completed from start to finish in Powertracks.

Optimistic Blues
Well I met a little lady, lordy lordy she's so fine
If it's the last thing that I do boys
I'm gonna make that lady mine

She's got starlight in her eyes, she's got sunshine in her smile
If she said - Boy come on over
You know I'd walk a million miles

She makes all the flowers bloom boys, she makes all the birdies sing
And if she put her hand in my hand
Don't you know I would be king

When I stand next to that lady, you know my heart beats like a train
And if she told me that she loved me
Why, I'd be dancing in the rain

Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to listen.

ROG.

#312282 - 09/30/15 03:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

It has an authentic feel to it. Click tracks are over-rated. Well done. Sounds like you have all the age groups covered. Nice lead and vocals sound mighty fine for this genre.

#312286 - 09/30/15 03:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
With a title like that, I had to give it a listen. Tracks sound great!! You guys don't need the click track. Cute lyric, and I really like the vocal style. Really nice tasty guitar licks you put it too. Enjoyed it! Take care. Greg

#312314 - 09/30/15 05:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
ROG,

Like Kevin said, this has a great authentic feel to it. The "old days" produced some pretty good stuff! Tell Peter I really enjoyed it!

Steve

#312318 - 09/30/15 06:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Last weekend I went to a local blues preservation society blues contest. This song would have fit in perfectly with the rest of the acts! Very traditional blues, played and sung with grass roots conviction! Much more believable than blues that is performed and marketed by people who live in penthouses. What do THEY know about blues?

In the 70s I was really a blues enthusiast... then I got underwhelmed by the genre for a variety of reasons. But lately I'm really enjoying the blues all over again! I enjoyed this quite a bit!

Pass along my kudos to all of your students who participated in this project! And...

it's good to see you back in the forum again! Lots of people noticed the empty space where ROG used to be. We like full spaces MUCH better! Welcome back!

#312341 - 09/30/15 09:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hurts my throat smile Excellent old time blues.
Congrats. Rob

#312347 - 09/30/15 09:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
I always look forward to your posts and learning a bit about the students behind the songs.

Very authentic 'live' sound to this production. There have been a few similar what I'll call a more organic sound from a few posters recently.

We could be seeing the start of a new trend.

Charlie

#312415 - 10/01/15 09:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
ROG

good stuff as usual from your neck of the woods.
It's nice to hear a song "done the old way" grin

A good age difference also, Jack sure has a future if he can hold a bass line at 11.

Hope you didn't bring any extras back from the ferry smile

best wishes

Alyn

#312488 - 10/01/15 08:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Kudos on pulling it all together. It sounds like a great old time live blues jam where you were all jamming in the same room - not like it was tracked separately.

#312534 - 10/02/15 06:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

ROG, I think a click track would have hurt the feel on this one. Sounds like everyone caught the groove. Nicely sung and good reso part. The bass man laid it right in the pocket. Tasty slide playing. What you are accomplishing with these young people is to be commended. Keep on Rockin!!! Tom

#312541 - 10/02/15 06:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: Chattanooga, TN
SRP Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Hey I loved it Rog! You are talking my language and I hope to hear more of this style of music. Great job especially the way that you did the recording. All you played super!
Sonny

#312730 - 10/03/15 05:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
ROG,
Great blues tune and performance. Supercool vocal!
SD

#312815 - 10/03/15 12:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

How could you not like this?

Terrific playing all around. Cool vocal!

Tasty lead. Nice tone. Excellent mix.

floyd

#312835 - 10/03/15 02:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
I remember reading that Johnny winter used to sing REALLY loud and hard into a pillow when he was a kid so his mother wouldn't hear him. Gotta grab that blues voice one way or the other. smile Janice and I have listened to the blues on a regular basis for decades and, hey, you got it going here - playing and vocals!

We enjoyed it and like mr jane said "tasty lead, nice tone and excellent mix."

Kudos!

J&B
J&B Website

#312841 - 10/03/15 02:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
ROG,

What a terrific listen! Traditional-styled 12 bar blues ALWAYS grabs my attention. This was a really great listen. Peter's voice is a perfect fit for this genre. Tell him that he had me tapping my feet on the floor!

Regards,
Noel

#313200 - 10/06/15 12:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Hi All.

Peter was in for his lesson last night and said how amazed he was by all the encouraging remarks.

He's asked me to pass on his heartfelt thanks to all those who took the time to listen and and comment.

Young Jack was also thrilled by the positives about his bass playing - his first bit of session work!

I thought it was a great song for Peter's first attempt and I'm waiting to see what else he brings in.

Cheers, ROG.

#313267 - 10/06/15 10:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

I just saw the word "Blues" in the title and I knew I had to listen! cool
As for the subject of click-tracks, I'll just say I don't recall spotting them being used in proper blues band concert, so from my perspective you're doing blues the way it should be!

A couple of questions though - What are Powertracks and where does the prerequisite BBox (or their products) come into the equation here?

#313331 - 10/06/15 03:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: Icelander]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Icelander
A couple of questions though - What are Powertracks and where does the prerequisite BBox (or their products) come into the equation here?

Hi Icelander.

First of all, PowerTracks is a PG Music program, so that's why tracks recorded with it are eligible here. It's basically a DAW and the same as Realband, but it can't generate RealTracks, only RealDrums. Other than that, it is a fully fledged and powerful DAW with a wonderfully flexible mixer which is the equal, in my opinion, of anything on the market.

We use RealBand if we need to generate Realtracks, but PowerTracks at other times, simply because it boots quicker.

Hope that answers your questions.

ROG.

#313333 - 10/06/15 03:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Optimistic Blues [Re: ROG]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
Originally Posted By: Icelander

Hi Icelander.

First of all, PowerTracks is a PG Music program, so that's why tracks recorded with it are eligible here.===Hope that answers your questions.
Absolutely. I guess I've overlooked the PT section of PG Music since it's a PC-only thing and my platform is Mac. Not the most prime excuse for the ignorance, but that's all I got smile

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK $469
Upgrade from Version 2018: [color:#FF0000]$149[/color] (reg: $279)
Upgrade from Version 2017 or earlier or crossgrade: [color:#FF0000]$169[/color] (reg: $299)

Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ $569
Upgrade from Version 2018: [color:#FF0000]$179[/color] (reg: $379)
Upgrade from Version 2017 or earlier or crossgrade: [color:#FF0000]$199[/color] (reg: $399)
Note: The difference between the UltraPAK and the UltraPAK+ is that the MIDI Songs & Lessons PAK is included in the UltraPAK+ package.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion