Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#315972 - 10/27/15 07:05 AM [User Showcase] Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom)
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

A while back Dean aka Aleck Rand asked if he could sit in on B3 for a blues collab. I agreed to come up with something for us to work on and then we got sidetracked. So we reconnected and Dean said he would put together a bed of B3, Bass and RealDrums. He sent me the track and after listening I went and hid under the bed. After I convinced myself that the Martian Harmonic Police were not coming to confiscate my computer I settled into it. We come from very different places musically and I have the utmost respect for his advanced knowledge of theory but he twisted my mind up with his chord substitutions. Once I found the 1 chord, I was able to put some lyrics on it and as Dean said “This ain’t your Daddy’s Blues or anyone else’s for that matter”. This collab is a testament to the camaraderie and friendships we have found on this forum. Thank You Dean for the opportunity to work together. I consider it a privilege.

Aleck Rand: B3 Organ, Bass

Tom Adams: Vocals, Guitar

RealDrums BluesRock128^1SdStk, Snr  at 45 bpm

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13236114

Once Forgotten Man

I wanna tell you you’re the best I ever had
That’s why its so hard for me when you make me feel so bad
there can be no earthly reason and certainly no rhyme
why the story of our love was just a long goodbye
How can it be so hard for us to understand
you’re just a used to be lonely woman and I’m a once forgotten man

remember that night in Paris when we marveled at the lights
And how we walked into the morning taking in all the sights
We wasted all our time in a comfortable cafe
watching life as it passed us by while we looked the other way
How can it be so hard for us to understand
you’re just a used to be lonely woman and I’m a once forgotten man

©2015 Aleck Rand / Thomas Adams

Edited by tommyad (10/27/15 04:31 PM)

#315987 - 10/27/15 08:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man [Re: tommyad]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Very nice... and very technical

Tom, you did a good job coming up with lyrics that are such a good match for Dean's arrangement. Dean, super arrangement.

Enjoyed this. It was a nice collaboration from two of the finest here on the forum.

#315996 - 10/27/15 08:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Tommy and Dean,

these are the most interesting chords I have
ever heard in a blues pattern. I can understand that
you first hid under the bed. But you did a great job
with the lyrics and I love your vocals anyway.
And that guitar!!!! I can't stop listening.
You can't imagine what pleasure you have given me
with this song.
Thanks for the background story.

Guenter

#316020 - 10/27/15 01:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
WOW!!! You guys are two of my favorite musicians (on or off the forum)! That said, when I saw there was a collab, I wasn't sure what to expect since you seem to come from different musical countries (maybe planets). BUT, you both made an amazing journey and the result is spectacular. I would have had a hell of a time writing to that music. I always love what Dean comes up with but he is much more musically sophisticated than I. But Tom nailed it with the melody and lyrics. I think the lyric matches the unconventional and complex music incredibly well. AND both of you played, as always, with an amazing authority and emotion. GREAT STUFF!!! Take care. Greg

#316056 - 10/28/15 01:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: tommyad]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Quote:
He sent me the track and after listening I went and hid under the bed. After I convinced myself that the Martian Harmonic Police were not coming to confiscate my computer I settled into it.
Hahahahahaha!!

That is amazing, the combination of 2 minds starting at different points but combining so beautifully.

Good lyrics, excellent vocals and as usual impressive guitar work. And what a backing track cool
What a way to start my day!

Well done both

I enjoyed that a lot

Alyn

#316112 - 10/28/15 10:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: tommyad]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
This is a very special collab!
The organ and guitar are great.
Sung very well and good lyrics too.

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#316126 - 10/28/15 01:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: tommyad]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Fantastic! Great to hear something so original.
The lyrics vocal and guitar Fit beautifully into Deans backing. Good one! Cheers.

#316214 - 10/29/15 10:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: boehm]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Very nice... and very technical

Tom, you did a good job coming up with lyrics that are such a good match for Dean's arrangement. Dean, super arrangement.

Enjoyed this. It was a nice collaboration from two of the finest here on the forum.
Charlie, Thanks much for your kind words. Dean and I appreciate it very much. Tom
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy and Dean,

these are the most interesting chords I have
ever heard in a blues pattern. I can understand that
you first hid under the bed. But you did a great job
with the lyrics and I love your vocals anyway.
And that guitar!!!! I can't stop listening.
You can't imagine what pleasure you have given me
with this song.
Thanks for the background story.

Guenter
Guenter, We are so glad you liked it! It was an interesting ride and Dean's fine arrangement and playing made it that way. Tom

#316231 - 10/29/15 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
It's the spaces between the notes where the magic so elegantly hides and only reveals itself when we relax and receive and stop trying to count the time. At least that's how it is for me, I like it a lot!

Kenny

#316269 - 10/29/15 03:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Over the top guys. Nice collaboration.
Rob

#316271 - 10/29/15 03:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Great song,

Nice chords line, guitar and organ.
The voice it goes very well on this song.

Sergio

Sergio

#316320 - 10/30/15 05:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: gibson]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!! You guys are two of my favorite musicians (on or off the forum)! That said, when I saw there was a collab, I wasn't sure what to expect since you seem to come from different musical countries (maybe planets). BUT, you both made an amazing journey and the result is spectacular. I would have had a hell of a time writing to that music. I always love what Dean comes up with but he is much more musically sophisticated than I. But Tom nailed it with the melody and lyrics. I think the lyric matches the unconventional and complex music incredibly well. AND both of you played, as always, with an amazing authority and emotion. GREAT STUFF!!! Take care. Greg
Hey Greg, Thanks for giving it a spin. It actually turned out much easier than I originally thought after I realized that I could just treat it like a three chord minor blues. I let Dean take care of the complex stuff and just let that wash over me while I was thinking about a much simpler pattern. Thanks again, Tom
Originally Posted By: gibson
Quote:
He sent me the track and after listening I went and hid under the bed. After I convinced myself that the Martian Harmonic Police were not coming to confiscate my computer I settled into it.
Hahahahahaha!!

That is amazing, the combination of 2 minds starting at different points but combining so beautifully.

Good lyrics, excellent vocals and as usual impressive guitar work. And what a backing track cool
What a way to start my day!

Well done both

I enjoyed that a lot

Alyn
Alyn, I'm glad you got a laugh out that, but there was a lot of truth in that statement. Dean's concept of theory and chord substitutions is way up there. Thanks for the kind words. Tom

#316329 - 10/30/15 07:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Chattanooga, TN
SRP Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Beautifully done guys! Fantastic musicianship throughout the whole song. What an incredible collaboration...pure imagination and understanding of music theory!
Sonny

#316346 - 10/30/15 10:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Cool collab, cats.

The B3 sounds great. Love that bite.

Tom, your guitar is wonderful - both tone and touch and tune...

Super mix...sounds live.

Nice.

floyd

#316372 - 10/30/15 02:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: RichMac]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RnAM
This is a very special collab!
The organ and guitar are great.
Sung very well and good lyrics too.

Rob and Anne-Marie
RnAM, Thanks so much. We both appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Fantastic! Great to hear something so original.
The lyrics vocal and guitar Fit beautifully into Deans backing. Good one! Cheers.
Richard, we're glad you liked it. Tom

#316440 - 10/31/15 07:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: Rob4580]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
It's the spaces between the notes where the magic so elegantly hides and only reveals itself when we relax and receive and stop trying to count the time. At least that's how it is for me, I like it a lot!

Kenny
Kenny, Trying to count was one of the things that was challenging. As soon as I let go of that notion it got easier. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Over the top guys. Nice collaboration.
Rob
Rob, It was quite the ride. I did my best to hold on. Thanks, Tom

#316485 - 10/31/15 03:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Tom and Dean,

...stunning songwriting, stunning music. When it comes to creating and amplifying a mood, "Once Forgotten Man" does it in leaps and bounds.

I sometimes find that Hammond harmony, with all those harmonics that are available via drawbars, can obscure an arrangement rather than enhance it. That wasn't the case here at all. The end result that I heard was bluesy and with perfect prosody between words and music. Impressive work. The distorted guitar was an excellent contrast to the edgy Hammond sound.

The lyrics are awesome! I really liked the hook "a used to be lonely woman and I’m a once forgotten man" - excellent imagery.

The line "the story of our love was just a long goodbye" is my favourite. I have never heard a relationship breakdown expressed so succinctly this way. To be able to condense all that anguish, agony and sense of loss into a single line is outstanding lyric writing. Lyrics don't get any better than this.

Total enjoyment and involvement from bar 1 to the end.

All the best,
Noel

#316626 - 11/02/15 04:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: Noel96]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Great song,

Nice chords line, guitar and organ.
The voice it goes very well on this song.

Sergio
Thanks for stopping by, Tom
Originally Posted By: SRP
Beautifully done guys! Fantastic musicianship throughout the whole song. What an incredible collaboration...pure imagination and understanding of music theory!
Sonny
Sonny, Dean and I both thank you. Tom
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Cool collab, cats.

The B3 sounds great. Love that bite.

Tom, your guitar is wonderful - both tone and touch and tune...

Super mix...sounds live.

Nice.

floyd
floyd, I agree. It did have a bit of a cool cat vibe to it. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Tom and Dean,

...stunning songwriting, stunning music. When it comes to creating and amplifying a mood, "Once Forgotten Man" does it in leaps and bounds.

I sometimes find that Hammond harmony, with all those harmonics that are available via drawbars, can obscure an arrangement rather than enhance it. That wasn't the case here at all. The end result that I heard was bluesy and with perfect prosody between words and music. Impressive work. The distorted guitar was an excellent contrast to the edgy Hammond sound.

The lyrics are awesome! I really liked the hook "a used to be lonely woman and I’m a once forgotten man" - excellent imagery.

The line "the story of our love was just a long goodbye" is my favourite. I have never heard a relationship breakdown expressed so succinctly this way. To be able to condense all that anguish, agony and sense of loss into a single line is outstanding lyric writing. Lyrics don't get any better than this.

Total enjoyment and involvement from bar 1 to the end.

All the best,
Noel
That Hammond sound is a particular favorite of mine and Dean showcased it perfectly. Thanks for the comments on the lyrics. I appreciate it. Tom

#316792 - 11/03/15 09:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: tommyad]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
We're down with Noel on "the story of our love was just a long goodbye,"
what a great line (of many)!

Neither one of us speaks all that music talk very well so we'll leave it to others
for all the analytical stuff. I like what Kenny said about the spaces between
the notes...I think John Hartford one said that it's the distance between the
notes that really counts.

"He sent me the track and after listening I went and hid under the bed.
After I convinced myself that the Martian Harmonic Police were not coming
to confiscate my computer I settled into it."

I suspect I'd still be under the bed or long since hauled off by the Harmonic Police
before I'd have figured anything out.

A melding of two of the forum favorites with such disparate music backgrounds
is simply fascinating. Your signature tone (hair around the edges as I believe you
once called it) and the hammond is something I would have had difficulty imagining
until heard. Those instruments and your always heartfelt vocal delivery makes for
a genuinely unique listen(s).

Talent, PG music and the net sure makes for interesting and exciting musical
journeys. Cool!

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#316815 - 11/03/15 12:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once Forgotten Man (Co-write Aleck Rand/ Tom) [Re: Janice & Bud]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We're down with Noel on "the story of our love was just a long goodbye,"
what a great line (of many)!

Neither one of us speaks all that music talk very well so we'll leave it to others
for all the analytical stuff. I like what Kenny said about the spaces between
the notes...I think John Hartford one said that it's the distance between the
notes that really counts.

"He sent me the track and after listening I went and hid under the bed.
After I convinced myself that the Martian Harmonic Police were not coming
to confiscate my computer I settled into it."

I suspect I'd still be under the bed or long since hauled off by the Harmonic Police
before I'd have figured anything out.

A melding of two of the forum favorites with such disparate music backgrounds
is simply fascinating. Your signature tone (hair around the edges as I believe you
once called it) and the hammond is something I would have had difficulty imagining
until heard. Those instruments and your always heartfelt vocal delivery makes for
a genuinely unique listen(s).

Talent, PG music and the net sure makes for interesting and exciting musical
journeys. Cool!

J&B
J&B, We are always glad to hear from you. Thanks, Tom & Dean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
HURRY! Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - Special Ends Today!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac ends TODAY!

Order before 11:59 PDT TODAY to save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade... and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

It's a GREAT time to order your upgrade to Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Mac, which is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 Build 2 Update Available!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 users can download the FREE Build 2 patch update here

Summary of Changes in Build 2:
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.
Fixed: Loading in a MusicXML file could result in MIDI notes of zero instead of the currect MIDI notes.
Fixed: Dragging a file into the tracks window didn't always result in the effects slot for the track being setup properly for the file type dragged in.
Fixed: When inserting hard rest, and answering Yes to question about removing notes for the peg, it would remove notes from both clefs instead of the clef that the rest was inserted on.
Fixed: Potential access violation when deleting a note in staff window.
Fixed: Potential jukebox access violation if there were songs with the entire path of the filename being 256 characters or greater loaded into jukebox.
Fixed: Jukebox not playing the playlist in correct order in certain situations involving stopping/restarting, etc.
Fixed: When loading in a MusicXML file that has a specific guitar fretboard defined that matches one of our fretboards, the guitar tablature type will now be set for the notation.
Fixed: Ability to load in .MXL (compresssed musicXML file) as well as ability to load normal noncompressed musicXML file with the new .musicxml extension instead of just .XML.
Fixed: Hammer ons, pull offs, and slides are now being saved to MusicXML files.
Fixed: Exceptionally jittery timing indicator in the notation window during playback compared to older versions of RealBand.
Fixed: If the start of a generated section of a song didn't have a chord entered at the beginning of the section, then it could default to a C major chord instead of the most recent chord prior to the section.
Fixed: Potential access violation if song has micro-pegs and multiple notes on a peg.
Fixed: Accidental element that specified whether a note was displayed as sharp/flat wasn't eing saved to XML, even though the correct pitch of the note itself was saved.

RealBand 2019 Build 5 Update Available!

All RealBand 2019 for Windows customers can download the latest FREE patch update (build 5) here.

Summary of Changes in Build 5 (Oct 10)
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for macOS Catalina

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac we added Drum Notation Support, and we didn't stop there! Other Notation Enhancements added in this new version are:

-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-Holding down the control key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-In the Notation Window Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-Notation is much clearer, not jagged, on retina screens.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-There is a keystroke entry mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, M to enter a third note, up/down cursor to change the pitch of the highlighted note, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

Read more about the Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac here. Watch this feature 'in action' with our new features video - jump to this topic when you click here.

...and don't forget - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac upgrades are ON SALE until October 15th, up to 50% off! Order now!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - Special Ends October 15th!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special is almost over! The special ends on October 15th - until then, save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade... and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

It's a GREAT time to order your upgrade to Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Mac, which is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our packages page for all the purchase options available.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for macOS Catalina!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac works GREAT with the just-released Catalina 64-bit only OS!

Updating your Mac to the latest macOS Catalina? Don't miss a beat with our 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac®, fully compatable with the just-released macOS Catalina!

In fact, Catalina features like Sidecar (a feature which allows you to utilize your iPad as a second display) work well with the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - great for sharing charts with other musicians!

So, take comfort in knowing that the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac runs great on Catalina and there are no known Catalina/Band-in-a-Box® issues.

Have an older version of the program that won't work with Catalina (which only runs 64-bit programs)? Don't fret - you can upgrade to the newest version for as little as $49, here.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® for Mac: DAW Plugin in Ableton

Check out our updated video demonstrating the new Band-in-a-Box® VST/AU/AAX Plugin being used with Ableton: click here to watch. Learn more about the Band-in-a-Box® VST/AU/AAX Plugin here.

Don't forget, our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac upgrades are ON SALE until October 15th - and ALL Band-in-a-Box® 2019 purchases include the VST/AU/AAX Plugin!

Forum Stats
30219 Members
62 Forums
60188 Topics
507919 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Memorilla, annhya, TheSwede, Beachkeys, STEV

30218 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 178
Noel96 155