Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#342067 - 03/26/16 09:29 PM [User Showcase] Baby Don't Make Me Blue (first effort at writing a vocal)
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Well, I finally decided that I should try my hand at writing an actual song with vocals.

My good friend Jenni helped with a few of the lyrics, and once I was happy with the melody, Desi laid down the vocal track for me. Thanks team.

RealTracks used:
~902:Bass, Electric
1995:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm
~1228:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm
RealDrums: SmoothJazzCoolSw16

Developed in BiaB and RealBand 2016, and mixed / produced with Sonar Platinum and Izotope.

All comments welcomed of course. Thanks for listening.

Baby Don't Make Me Blue

Song:
Baby I gotta tell you
we gotta be more than friends
don't you think I care for you?
don't you see me make amends?

I wanna be the one to tell you
you're the only guy in my life
don't you care if you make me blue?
we gotta be more than friends

Here we are
you know we're just chasing them
chasing the moon and stars
I'm a holding on tight,
but you still want to fight and fight
baby it's so hard for me to know
if you don't love me, go
Why do you make me, please don't make me
and I'm still so strong for you baby
still hoping you'll be there to save me
Don't make me, don't make me,
Don't make me, please don't make me blue

I know I wanna give it my all
And I hope that you feel it too
I know that special look-in your eyes
But why do you make me blue?

Here we are
you know we're just chasing them,
chasing the moon and stars
I'm a holding on tight
but you still want to fight and fight
baby it's so hard for me to know
if you don't love me go
Why do you make me please don't make me
and I'm still so strong for you baby
Still hoping you'll be there to save me
So don't make me, don't make me
don't make me please don't make me blue

Attachments
SadLove_1a.jpg

BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#342071 - 03/26/16 11:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: Philippines
Trygve Larsen Offline
Expert

Loc: Philippines
Absolutely a great and beautiful song ! And what a great voice of Desi ! Masterpiece !
My tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.

#342075 - 03/27/16 12:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: Trygve Larsen]
Veteran

Thanks Leo for your kind comments. They are appreciated!
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#342078 - 03/27/16 01:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Trev,

This is great!!!! Desi's voice and her performance are outstanding (and then some)!! I love the laid back, cool-jazz-with-a-twist-of-funk feel.... really classy music and a credit to everyone involved! Your mix is superb. Everything sparkles smile

A creation to be proud of indeed.

All the best,
Noel

#342079 - 03/27/16 02:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: Noel96]
Veteran

Noel
Thanks for stopping by. I genuinely appreciate your comments. They do mean a lot. Thanks!
Trev

#342082 - 03/27/16 04:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Trevor.

Well, that was just amazing!

Such a sophisticated chord sequence and a classic arrangement with a George Benson feel to it.

Beautifully performed, produced and mixed with an unbelievably good vocal from Desi. She's obviously been doing this for a while!

To say it's "Radio Ready" would be an understatement.

You've got to do some more of this stuff.

ROG.

#342089 - 03/27/16 05:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: ROG]
Veteran

ROG, thanks a million. I'm encouraged by your feedback for sure.

#342090 - 03/27/16 05:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Beautiful backtrack and vocal

#342103 - 03/27/16 07:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Trevor,

what a beautiful song. Everything fits: lyrics, chord progression, arrangement and mix. Desi is a great singer!
Hats off!
Give us more of this.

Guenter

#342105 - 03/27/16 07:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: VideoTrack]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Trev....

What a nice "first write" on lyrics.... You certainly nailed it first time out...

My only crit is that this superb vocal is way to far down in the mix. Your vocalist is a great singer and her vocal needs to sit CLEARLY on top of the mix, not down in it. My guess is a few dB up (3 to 6 dB should do it) would do the trick. It's almost where it needs to be but not quite fully there. Listen to Celine or Cher or Marriah .... set your vocal level accordingly.

Excellent work.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#342108 - 03/27/16 07:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: VideoTrack]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Trev this is absolutely gorgeous! Well done!

#342120 - 03/27/16 09:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
DANG! I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this song blew my expectations right out of the water... and I wasn't even swimming!!

I'm guessing Desi had her vocal chords surgically replaced with rubber bands, right? Her vocals stretch so well from note to note! Just beautiful... the perfect vocal accompaniment for your rich jazz composition!

I've always had a hard time trying to build convincing transitions in the jazz realm, but I thought your chords flowed VERY well in this piece... and the lyrics are a perfect fit for the mood and cadence of the song... very well done all around! It's surprising to me just how adding vocals to a good song can make it a great song, and the sum of your contributions on this project work together to create a very compelling composition... as Josie said, it's absolutely gorgeous!

Pro sounding from start to finish! Great job!

#342142 - 03/27/16 12:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: France
Chris37 Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: France
Hi Trev !
An incredible emotive voice with an efficient smooth jazz music ! It is great......I appreciate very much. Thanks for posting this song. Christian

#342160 - 03/27/16 04:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: boehm]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Trevor,

what a beautiful song. Everything fits: lyrics, chord progression, arrangement and mix. Desi is a great singer!
Hats off!
Give us more of this.

Guenter

Guenter, thanks for your positive comments, they are appreciated.

#342161 - 03/27/16 04:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Trev....

What a nice "first write" on lyrics.... You certainly nailed it first time out...

My only crit is that this superb vocal is way to far down in the mix. Your vocalist is a great singer and her vocal needs to sit CLEARLY on top of the mix, not down in it. My guess is a few dB up (3 to 6 dB should do it) would do the trick. It's almost where it needs to be but not quite fully there. Listen to Celine or Cher or Marriah .... set your vocal level accordingly.

Excellent work.

Herb, thanks for taking the time to listen. I genuinely appreciate the feedback, and will have a much better listen to the levels. I thought that they were a fair bit on top from the middle to end of the song, maybe a bit light at the start. I did deliberately keep the vocal "Mmmmm" and "Yeahhh" low during the intro, but perhaps this needs lifting too.

Thanks again.

#342162 - 03/27/16 04:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: Sundance]
Veteran

Josie, thanks for your positive comments. They're received with gratitude!

#342164 - 03/27/16 05:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: Pat Marr]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
DANG! I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this song blew my expectations right out of the water... and I wasn't even swimming!!

I'm guessing Desi had her vocal chords surgically replaced with rubber bands, right? Her vocals stretch so well from note to note! Just beautiful... the perfect vocal accompaniment for your rich jazz composition!

I've always had a hard time trying to build convincing transitions in the jazz realm, but I thought your chords flowed VERY well in this piece... and the lyrics are a perfect fit for the mood and cadence of the song... very well done all around! It's surprising to me just how adding vocals to a good song can make it a great song, and the sum of your contributions on this project work together to create a very compelling composition... as Josie said, it's absolutely gorgeous!

Pro sounding from start to finish! Great job!

Pat, I'm really blown away by the fantastic feedback. I have to admit I am extremely pleased with the vocal, and there's no doubt that this is the one single item that gives massive strength to the song. Thanks for your comments, greatly appreciated.
Trevor

#342165 - 03/27/16 05:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: Chris37]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Chris37
Hi Trev !
An incredible emotive voice with an efficient smooth jazz music ! It is great......I appreciate very much. Thanks for posting this song. Christian

Hi Christian,
Let me say that I'm buzzed out by the positive feedback, yours included. Very much appreciated.
Trev

#342166 - 03/27/16 05:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: Scott C]
Veteran

Scott
Thanks for the comments!
I'm pleased to receive them
Trev

#342183 - 03/27/16 07:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Baby Don't Make Me Blue (my first effort at writing a vocal) [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Trevor

Very gorgeous and beautiful song with emotive vocal.
It is such as a song written by B. Bacharach and sung by Whitney Houston.
It was so nice to use Acoustic Piano instead of Rhodes Piano.
I also like your chord progression, which is a little bit different from mine.
For example, maybe I will put chords on the first 4 bars as follows. (But it is merely a matter of taste.)
Ebmaj9 / / / - Fm9 on Bb / / / - Cm(add9) / / / - Dm7 / G7(b5) G7

Anyway, this is great.
I look forward to your next song very much.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28455 Members
58 Forums
55292 Topics
460653 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Masaladosa, jonny1, rikkyj, tbeach, Andrew DeGaust

28455 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 366
Pipeline 342