You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#353365 - 06/10/16 06:56 AM [User Showcase] SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Last week I was curious about how many songs I have here in the Showcase.
So I counted them.
Including some co-writes, (posted by my co-writers) it turned out to be 99.
So this is song number 100.

To commemorate that, I thought I would post something appropriate, something "special" (to me).
It is the song that got me started again.

My best friend, Jon, (we've known each other since high school...played in bars together when we were 17) is a highly acclaimed author (Finn, Kings Of The Earth).
I get to read manuscripts as he writes them.
About 4 years ago, he sent me one called "Hey, Little Girl".
It was about a guy from Jersey. A one-hit-wonder. Big hit around the time when "hit radio" was dying out. 1971, maybe?...
"Hey, Little Girl" by Joey & The Lifeguards.
There was going to be a murder, I think... it was only the first 50 pages, and Jon moved on to other things before finishing. He will likely get back to it one day.

At the time, I thought... "There needs to be an actual song to go with this".
After all, if it ever gets to the movie phase (which all of Jon's books are in some phase of), there needs to be a song!
After not writing for 10 years (barely touching my guitar in that time), I wrote "Hey, Little Girl" (while mowing my lawn).
For Joey and the Lifeguards.

It got me writing again. Which got me recording again. Which led me to Band-In-A-Box.
(I was not satisfied with the "old way" of playing everything myself).
BIAB opened up a whole new world. It's kept me pretty busy over the last 4 years.

The janettes (Janice Merritt and I) fill in for the Lifeguards.

HEY, LITLE GIRL

hey, little girl
not sure that i can ever find the words
to tell you everything in my heart, exactly how i feel
right from the start i knew this thing was real
i want to kiss ya
hey, hey, hey..
hey little girl

hey, little girl
the way you wear your jeans with your pearls
the way you pull your hair back tight with that red rubber band
maybe tonight's the night i make you understand
that i love ya
hey, hey, hey..
hey little girl

i'd love to hear you say you love me, too
i want to know you want me the way that i want you

hey, little girl
baby, just imagine a world
where all the dreams you dream comes true and fairy tales are real
i'll give it all to you, a kiss would seal the deal
i mean forever
hey, hey, hey..
hey little girl

Here is the list of all 100 songs :

http://floydjane.com/Songs/List.htm

Read Jon's books...
http://www.jonclinch.com/inprint.html

Here is the all important BAND:

RealTracks in song: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1154:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Reggae Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 380:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
RealTracks in song: ~1436:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinMute Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 1770:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovinChords Ev16 130
RealTracks in song: 1771:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovinMuted Ev16 130
RealTracks in song: 1270:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopUpliftSyncMuted Ev16 120
RealTracks in song: 1850:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningGrittyMuted Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 661:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasRockCrisp Ev 120 (A:simple)
RealTracks in song: 1408 Piano, SynthLayer, Rhythm Soul70sHeld Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 671:Organ, B3, Background Southern Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleSkip^01-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Loop120bpm Claps Calypso - 16beat.wav

Janice & Bud - Thanks!!! SO much for being with me on most of this journey...

Thanks PGMusic (all of ya!) for making this all possible!!!

And thanks to all the folks in the forum who have come along for the ride...

floyd

#353377 - 06/10/16 09:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
CONGRATS MY FRIEND!!! Wow, One Hundred!! Haven't heard them all but I've loved all that I've heard, and this is no exception. Really nicely put together. Has that sweet, innocent quality of Will you Still Love Me Tomorrow and such classics. Nice to hear some feel good, upbeat, sweet and innocent stuff at times. Love the way the organ worked in the bridge (sounded like that era). Great work, and great to have you on the forum and as a friend and teacher. Again CONGRATS!!! Take care. Greg

#353385 - 06/10/16 09:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Quite a nice accomplishment... 100 songs in this forum.

Good song with the latest.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#353398 - 06/10/16 11:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: FRANCE
PRADON Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FRANCE
Hi, happy number 100
As far as I am concerned, I've got 3 songs posted in this forum (It's a long way to get to 100)

I like the voices in this song, very very much

#353416 - 06/10/16 02:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: Greg Johnson]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
CONGRATS MY FRIEND!!! Wow, One Hundred!! Haven't heard them all but I've loved all that I've heard, and this is no exception. Really nicely put together. Has that sweet, innocent quality of Will you Still Love Me Tomorrow and such classics. Nice to hear some feel good, upbeat, sweet and innocent stuff at times. Love the way the organ worked in the bridge (sounded like that era). Great work, and great to have you on the forum and as a friend and teacher. Again CONGRATS!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - I always enjoy your reviews! Thanks for your support... I so enjoy your songs! - solid stuff...

#353418 - 06/10/16 03:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Congratulations on Song Post 100 Floyd!! Way to go!

This is a fantastic production. A great way to celebrate your success!

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#353421 - 06/10/16 03:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Floyd.

Happy one hundred!

Hey, that's no mean feat. I've been here about a year longer than you and I've only clocked up thirty one!

The really amazing thing is that I don't ever remember hearing anything I didn't like. Now that's consistency.

ROG.

#353430 - 06/10/16 04:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Excellent Pop song, and I love a good pop song, I show up here after a weeks absense and this song is at the top of the list, perfect.
I am so very proud to be on that list of the 100 (twice!! I might add) You bring so much to this group and I always hear something I like and usually learn a little something or get some inspiration.
Great mix, great song.
Kenny

#353446 - 06/10/16 06:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Floyd
Great way to celebrate 100 songs a brilliant infectious number beautifully written and performed(loevly backing vocals from Janice).
A terrific number.

#353467 - 06/11/16 01:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Online   content
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, floyd

Congratulations on posting 100 songs!
It's a great work.
The song No.100 is very punchy with a little bit 50s and 60s American Oldies flavor that I like very much.
I would like to celebrate your success!

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#353483 - 06/11/16 07:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

WOW!!!!! What a Great Mix Floyd! LOVE IT!!!!!! Loved pickin on Bad Enough!

#353485 - 06/11/16 08:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Floyd,

congratulations on number 100!
I'm happy to be part of all 100 as a listener and a
huge fan.
This one is totally different from all the others. You're a master in switching styles. Very well done as always. Especially the background vocals. You perfectly caught the sound of the era.
I'm looking forward to the next 100.

Guenter

#353514 - 06/11/16 01:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: Guitarhacker]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Quite a nice accomplishment... 100 songs in this forum.

Good song with the latest.

Thanks, Herb.

#353518 - 06/11/16 01:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Nice song. Very catchy, feel good song reminiscent of early summer, school's out releases that rang out from our radio's when there were fun hit songs.

Congratulations on getting to 100. Amazing feat.

#353520 - 06/11/16 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Hello Floyd,

a great number 100.

One of your best for me.

Sergio

Sergio

#353552 - 06/12/16 12:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Cape Town
PaddyG Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Cape Town

Hi Floyd,

What an interesting history this song has.. Delightful wording, great mix, the beat is fascinating
I enjoyed that.

Paddy G

#353577 - 06/12/16 06:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
The number isn't anywhere as interesting as the song.
I'm impressed with the way you kept all those guitars from making mud in the middle.
Nice, crisp, clear mix and a really catchy tune. It does belong right where you set it.
Ace.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

#353597 - 06/12/16 08:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

floyd, Congrats on #100. I'm sure that is a drop in the bucket compared to your entire catalog. They have all been good writes and well produced including this one. I really enjoyed the organ sound. You are an inspiration and a great source of learning regarding songwriting and production to all of us that follow you. I can only smile as I imagine what the next 100 will bring to us. Thanks for all you do here on the forum. We sure do appreciate it. Tom

#353608 - 06/12/16 09:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Floyd,

Congratulations! A really fun tune - the perfect summer song. Loved it!

Bob

#353644 - 06/12/16 05:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG #100 - Hey, Little Girl [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Congratulations Floyd!

100 awesome songs in a row is quite an accomplishment! This one reminds me of something the Wrecking Crew might have come up with... it has that infectious 70s pop sound! I hope it makes it into the movie!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28455 Members
58 Forums
55292 Topics
460662 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Masaladosa, jonny1, rikkyj, tbeach, Andrew DeGaust

28455 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 368
Pipeline 342