You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#354442 - 06/19/16 08:46 PM [User Showcase] The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles
Mark Styles Offline

The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles

This is a long piece.. It does have a theme motif, but is more of a musical journey than a song. My first intention was to work with key transpositions. Cause I never really cared for them when I was younger, I regarded them as a cheesy device, when you ran out of ideas.. There have been examples where transpositions are very powerful and moving, and others where it’s just too predictable..

I use a pallete of traditional sounds but also made more use of artificial sounds, with 3rd party plug-ins, (Audio Units in Logic Pro) cause I wanted to evoke a certain feeling of nostaligia, but also of uncertainty, and alienation.. I applied the computer equivalent to tape manipulation, spicing, backwards tape, etc for other more unworldly sounds.

I’ve been taking a course at coursera.org.. ‘Biology as Music”.. It studies how are our bodies were designed to process music, how certain aspects of the relationships of partials, and resonance will evoke specific emotions out of humans.. How our first language was actually mimicking animal sounds. How we even use pitch in our speech to add an extra layer of meaning to our communication..

So it got me thinking that the use of untraditional sounds, will cause the brain to react differently, cause the sound can’t be defined as being something particular. so the brain, will ‘keep an eye on it’..

I started with some chord tracks, but replaced all tracks, mostly with one line parts..

The piece is 6/8 - but I attempted not to make that real obvious. I did that by having certain instruments play notes, that might be counted out in 4/4 time.. So I wouldn't always hit, the 1 beat, I'd hit the 2 beat (trying to trick your brain into thinking it's 4/4 time).. I thinned things a lot too - so as to not have a timed feel (at least that was what I was aiming for) Not entirely successful, but it does take away from the strict feel of 6/8 time.

Yes, I was a 'Flower Child of the 60's'.. so this is music for those of us who remain from the 'Flower Power Generation'.. just easy listening now, no FUZZ guitars. I'll use one in another piece later, once I figure out how to use the iPad to change the EQ on my hearing aid (just kidding - no hearing aid yet)..

I usually use BIAB to fine tune the chord progression.. I generate some melodies, and occasionally solos, several of them.. Then some alternate styles.. Drag all this into Logic Pro.. cut/edit/rewrite/replay,slide parts around.. etc. I particularly like love the new Super Midi Patches..

The Road Less Traveled - https://app.box.com/s/koy6ain6j9e98vpyw3xv85iw6qug4v08

The Road Less Traveled Score - https://app.box.com/s/vhmrvhboe6dxnpzrxs7sq2tnm72kkutn

(Mark Styles©2016 Pliant Tunes BMI)

#354472 - 06/20/16 05:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles [Re: Mark Styles]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Mark,

This is beautifully done. A vey enjoyable listen.

Much of your discussion is far removed from the my "musical thinking" (over my head). But the music speaks for itself.

I would guess this is mostly MIDI? I'm sure many would like to know what made up the parts. The atmospheric strings are especially nice...

It is obvious a LOT of work went into this. Impressive piece.

I thoroughly enjoyed my listen.

floyd

#354491 - 06/20/16 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles [Re: Mark Styles]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Mark,

welcome to the forum!
Nice first post. You enrich the forum with your way
of thinking. Thanks for the background story.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#354492 - 06/20/16 08:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles [Re: Mark Styles]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Welcome aboard....your composition went very well
with my morning coffee. As floyd mention it is obvious
that you spent some time with this production and as
he also suggested it would be interesting to what the
tracks consist of. And as Guenter said "thanks for the
background story."

Enjoyed it!

Bud
J&B Website

#354549 - 06/20/16 04:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles [Re: Mark Styles]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Hi Mark!

First of all, welcome to the world of the user showcase! You really hit the ground running with this one!

I found your song description very interesting, and I agree with all of what I understood. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much I understood. ;-)

Yeah, you really do have some time invested in this piece! I can't even imagine how you would manage a project like this! I like the patchwork quilt effect you get by adding swatches of sound that aren't identical, but which match the theme... it creates an almost mystical listening experience. Some parts sound downright classical, some parts sound like new age, and some parts remind me of Blood Seat and Tears! All fun and good sounds!

I look forward to hearing more from you!

#354626 - 06/21/16 06:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles [Re: Mark Styles]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
You've clearly put a lot of serious thought - and work - into constructing this intriguing and mood-shifting piece, well done. I found it an equally intriguing and enjoyable listen: all the more because it is one of the clearest mixes I've heard in a very long while.

John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#354694 - 06/21/16 01:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles [Re: Mark Styles]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello Mark,

this sure is innovative in several ways.
Like Floyd said, a lot of work must have gone into this.
But it was definitely worth it, by the sound of it.
Very well done!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#354726 - 06/21/16 06:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles [Re: Mark Styles]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really pretty music and very well put together!! The motion in the music is great. As Floyd said in different words, I am more of a gut level writer and listener. However, I certainly appreciate the thought put into this and the beauty that is so apparent. Wonderful job!! Take care. Greg

#354837 - 06/22/16 03:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles [Re: Mark Styles]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Hey Mark,

Great job. I thought this was very cool. Great phrasing and thematic movements.

I also thought the idea of that course was neat.

Was it free?

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#354888 - 06/23/16 05:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Road Less Traveled - by Mark Styles [Re: Mark Styles]
Loc: Philippines
Trygve Larsen Offline
Expert

Loc: Philippines
Hi Mark and welcome to the best music making forum in the world !

Ur track was very impressive ! And I liked it a lot... This is something I would love to be able to my self one day also...
My tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.

PG Music News
RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

RealBand 2019 is Here!

We've added over 30 new features to RealBand 2019, including Notation Window enhancements, Tracks Window enhancements, StylePicker enhancements - and more! Learn all about this new version here.

Snag your copy of RealBand 2019 with your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchase - upgrades on SALE until December 31st - save up to 40%! View all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchase options here.

Forum Stats
28397 Members
58 Forums
55122 Topics
458954 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
RexBagonia, DTman, leggy, Michaeljones, prian

28397 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 320
Pipeline 315