Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#368123 10/01/16 04:53 AM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So last night I was forced to apply the Windows 10 anniversary update (I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit). And now my laptop is stuck in computer hell. The update seemed to apply just fine, I logged in, did some work, then was told I needed to reboot, at which point all I get is the circular snake chasing its tail for hours and hours... Tried safe mode, where it booted fine, but would not reboot into regular mode. After hours and hours it's still chasing its tail.

I'm now downloading the anniversary update ISO on my other computer and I'll try a repair operation.

I'm not happy. Laptop was working just fine before this update.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
This happened to me on one computer. I hit the reset button and all continued fine.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Same thing happened to me too John. The Anniversary update downloaded on its own during the night unbeknownst to me. Thought it was odd that my computer, which I normally leave on at night, had rebooted.

Didn't notice any problems until I brought my music system up. Couldn't get my Roland Fantom XR to show up. After several hours found that the driver had been deleted. A real problem since Roland hasn't update the driver since 2009. Not only that, but you have to use the 2009 driver and take it into a text editor and modify it for use with x64 Win10.

Once I got that going again, found that the update had reset many of the options within Win 10 back to their default settings.

While I understand that an update is best applied across systems that have standard configs, the hours lost were not appreciated.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
.., found that the update had reset many of the options within Win 10 back to their default settings.

Whoa. Something else to check.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Could you post how you modified the driver in a text editor?

The reason is I have a Sonic Cell that I haven't been using much lately but I've been thinking of setting it up with my new system. I know what you're saying about Roland not updating the drivers for years and it really upsets users but they don't seem to care much about that. I had to do some digging to find their old and only 64 bit driver from years ago too.

As far as me and that update no problems but my music system right now is all internal using VST's.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, it happened with both my machine and my wife's machine. I restore here to a previous image, so she's back up and running, but of course i know it's going to happen again.

I restored a previous image and then even tried a manual install using the latest dish. Got everything working, verified the version, ran some software, rebooted and back to the spinning circle.

I'm now going back you Windows 7 on this machine (my desktop us fine with Windows 10), so I'll be in reinstallation purgatory for awhile. I'll probably do the same with my wife's later.

Last edited by jford; 10/02/16 03:38 PM.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Veteran
Veteran
Bob, regarding driver modifications, see this link for the process with the Roland Fantom XR: http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50840

The most critical part is the first step, modifying Win 10 to accept unsigned drivers. Without following his recommendations on this step, the install will fail. Originally, I thought I could bypass this step and just point to the modified .inf, but this results in the driver not being loaded even though it appears that it has been loaded.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
boot to safe mode and use the RESTORE to a former date when the computer was working.... then don't apply the update.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
boot to safe mode and use the RESTORE to a former date when the computer was working.... then don't apply the update.

Problem is then I am stuck at that point in terms of Windows. And I actually didn't request the update, I got a notice that my computer would be rebooted (automatically) in some number of minutes to install updates and that's when everything went to H-E-double hockey sticks.

I did try to restore to a former date, but as sometimes happens, something had turned off my restore points, so that didn't help.

Windows 7 worked fine on it before and should continue to work fine (it'll just take some time to re-install all my apps, but once done, I'll take an Acronis image, so future problems are easily mitigated). Windows 7 extended support doesn't end until 2020, so there is still time to use it without worrying about security issues and whatnot.

Windows 10 Anniversary so far seems to work fine on my desktop (also an HP), which is older than my laptop. It's just my laptop that's giving me fits. I've moved all my data over to the desktop and will just use that for now until I can get my laptop rebuilt, so at least I'm not dead in the water (I keep both the laptop and desktop pretty much in sync with each other in terms of app installation, except those very few that only allow a single installation).

I could be wrong, but I suspect the problem with the laptop is most likely video drivers from the dual-mode video system (Intel for on-battery use, AMD for high performance plugged in mode) that neither HP nor Intel/AMD updated when Windows 8/8.1 came out and surprised me that it even worked in Windows 10. Windows 10 also didn't recognize my HDMI port (again related to video drivers), so going back to Windows 7 will get me the few things back that didn't work on Windows 10. Believe me, I really liked Windows 10, but Windows 7 will be fine until I replace the laptop sometime in the future. All my apps run fine in Windows 7 or Windows 10, so no problem there.

I guess my biggest gripe is that Windows doesn't give an indication as to what the problem might be. It just sits there for hours with the snake spinning. I don't know if it is retrying ad infinitum or just stuck. But you would think it could generate some sort of error (e.g. couldn't load whatever driver) and then move on (and maybe substitute a generic driver) and boot the computer. But nope, just sits there spinning, spinning, spinning, ...

John

Veteran
Veteran
I got mine forced on me on the 22nd. Brand new pc ran wonderfully well since January.
NOW, I've no start menu ? can't right click on the taskbar programmes, have limited admin access and can't change user accounts. Apeart from that I can't change desktop wallpaper, I can't reset, repair image, boot from a usb drive, OR dvd. I've been on chat with so called tec agents but they're as much use as a fart in a thunderstorm. I HAD my setting for updates disabled. They've come up with a couple of mealy mouthed ideas on their answers forum, but they'd better come up with a proper update SOON !!!

Oh the other thing I have is a black screen from time to time. I can't uninstall my display drivers, nor, reinstall updated ones as I don't have enough permission. The whole thing's driving me INSANE

mad mad mad mad mad mad

I've also tried booting in safe mode, won't work, and, also troubleshoot mode. Seems my widows files are corrupted and microsft ain't coming up with answers

Last edited by furry; 10/03/16 05:28 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
It truly sucks to have a problem like this BUT...very few are having these issues. It usually revolves around an older system like John mentioned.

I've said it so many times now, you have to really understand your PC including all the software and how it all works together or just give it up and use your phone to email the grandkids and forget everything else.

Trash Win 10 at your peril. Here's why:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3044089/security/the-best-new-security-features-of-windows-10.html

Before folks poo poo this ask yourselves this question: Is hacking a problem or not? This is the world we all live in now and Win 10 is an attempt to get a handle on this. Like it or not, MS wants everybody to have the same system with the same updates all the time. Who tends to get blamed for lots of these hacks? MS does. Oh, Windows sucks, it's so easy to hack. I suspect MS is tired of hearing that.

Win 7 is an antique OS already.

All these hacks are making life miserable for all of us, but that's the way it is now so as the old cliche' goes, adapt or die. Or to be a bit less dramatic, adapt, learn this stuff and only use modern hardware, like two years old or something because the OS integrates with the hardware which means the newer the better.

If some are on fixed incomes and can't afford that then you have to fight this with smarts. Learn about it, what the workarounds are that fit your system, spend time on tech forums, learn the jargon (Oh man, there is a TON of jargon!) but you have to jump in and figure it out.

I got my free Win 10 a few days before the freebie expired and I posted about an absolute CRAPLOAD of issues I had getting it to install so I know all about frustration. But I did finally figure it out. What to know what it was? I had to completely uninstall Avast, not just disable it. That's it. That's all that caused me a whole day of yelling and screaming. Well, not yelling...

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, My pc was new in January. Panda is the anti virus software I have.
Windows 10 came with the PC when I bought it in January

Veteran
Veteran
Lovely, just lovely...

Looks like you won the lotto, the one guy who gets hosed. Sorry it had to be you.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I've tried various regedit fixes Bob and sadly nuthin's worked so far.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: furry
I've tried various regedit fixes Bob and sadly nuthin's worked so far.

Graham, it looks like others are having problems with Panda and Win 10:

http://news.thewindowsclub.com/panda-antivirus-update-likely-brick-windows-systems-restart-74490/

You might want to uninstall Panda and see what happens. As we all know MS hates everything that isn't made by MS.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I CAN'T uninstall ANYTHING Mario, I don't have permission rights. Tried that earlier even in safe made.

Veteran
Veteran
Had a look and there's no files on quarentine

Expert
Expert
Do you have a chance to reset to factory settings?

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
It truly sucks to have a problem like this BUT...very few are having these issues. It usually revolves around an older system like John mentioned.

I've said it so many times now, you have to really understand your PC including all the software and how it all works together or just give it up and use your phone to email the grandkids and forget everything else.

Trash Win 10 at your peril. Here's why:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3044089/security/the-best-new-security-features-of-windows-10.html

Before folks poo poo this ask yourselves this question: Is hacking a problem or not? This is the world we all live in now and Win 10 is an attempt to get a handle on this. Like it or not, MS wants everybody to have the same system with the same updates all the time. Who tends to get blamed for lots of these hacks? MS does. Oh, Windows sucks, it's so easy to hack. I suspect MS is tired of hearing that.

Win 7 is an antique OS already.

All these hacks are making life miserable for all of us, but that's the way it is now so as the old cliche' goes, adapt or die. Or to be a bit less dramatic, adapt, learn this stuff and only use modern hardware, like two years old or something because the OS integrates with the hardware which means the newer the better.

If some are on fixed incomes and can't afford that then you have to fight this with smarts. Learn about it, what the workarounds are that fit your system, spend time on tech forums, learn the jargon (Oh man, there is a TON of jargon!) but you have to jump in and figure it out.

I got my free Win 10 a few days before the freebie expired and I posted about an absolute CRAPLOAD of issues I had getting it to install so I know all about frustration. But I did finally figure it out. What to know what it was? I had to completely uninstall Avast, not just disable it. That's it. That's all that caused me a whole day of yelling and screaming. Well, not yelling...

Bob

I wouldn't say that windows 7 is by any means an ancient OS, its a fine OS in my opinion and is going to be supported to 2020 isn't it.

What must people including myself have done is believe all the hype that Microsoft have thrown at us, and spent endless hours and sometimes total frustration trying to get 10 all set up. Nothing wrong with 10 but really only advantage is having the apps on it as far as it affects me.

On my main desktop as I have dual boot with both 7 and 10 I choose to boot into 7 every time, use 10 as a novelty to play around with.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I CAN'T uninstall ANYTHING Mario, I don't have permission rights. Tried that earlier even in safe made.

Can you stop Panda?
Can you stop it from starting at boot?
Can you go to Services.msc (Windows Services) and possibly stop it there?
Have you been to Panda website to check for updates?
Have you tried right-click then 'Run as Administrator' on any of the above? This often allows one to gain these rights ..

Just some ideas..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195