Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#369193 - 10/08/16 05:11 PM [User Showcase] NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song)
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Hello, my musical family. Here's a song that hit me first thing in the morning. I woke up with the beginning of the chorus in my head. Went to BIAB, and pulled up the vintage rock with the electric 12 string. Typed in a few chords, and when the music played, it was in the same key that it entered my subconsciousness it---WEIRD!!, but COOL!! Anyway, this song would have sounded a lot more contemporary on the radio in 1966. What can a say? That's my era of musical awakening. Hope you enjoy. Comments always encouraged. Your feedback is most of what inspires me to write. Take care. Greg

Can’t get it through my heart

I called you Ruby Tuesday, cause you changed with each new day
Ever new, exciting, we were gliding on our way
Exploring each new color from the palate of your love
I felt the light come shining down from heaven up above

Then suddenly, it seemed everything was wrong
Then one morning, you destroyed my favorite song

You said “Get it through your head, now baby”
“We had our time; It’s over”
We were not forever; Didn’t you get that from the start?
And your words were clear as crystal
So I got it through my head
But still, I just can’t get it through my heart

I’ve never been that lucky when it came down to romance
From the time that I first saw you, never thought I had a chance
I couldn’t have been more flattered when you lured me with your smile
Visions of euphoria, and walking down the aisle

In one heartbeat, the signal changed from green to red
My heart stopped when you looked at me and said

You said…

Who needs this heartache?
Love is so absurd
You made my heart break
In six or seven words

You said….

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/cant-get-it-thru-my-heart

#369202 - 10/08/16 06:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Greg this is my all time favorite of yours, to date that is!

I like everything about this one, the vocal, lyrics, backing tracks and mix. Your harmonies during the chorus were perfect, Beach Boy, Grass Roots' style. The 12 string make it sound a little like the Byrds. Actually any number of groups from that era could have sang this one.

This is a keeper.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#369213 - 10/08/16 07:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Greg,

Cool opening with that ringing 12-string and lines that grab the attention:

the whole song captures the sound of the great musical era you lean towards, so to heck with contemporary!
I always enjoy your vocals- reminds me of Don Henley.
Another very good song.

Robert

#369222 - 10/08/16 09:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Greg,
That was a truly fantastic arrangement.
Beautiful harmonies - great tune, excellent lyric, nice choice of backing RT's (could quote many bands Beach Boys, Monkees, Byrds etc).
A brilliant effort.

Peter

#369234 - 10/09/16 12:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
This is really strange, I had almost the same chord progression and melody playing in my head when I woke up this morning, but haven't started my BIAB yet. This has to be a current hit on the dream radio station wink And probably I don't have to try to replicate it because you have made it into such a lovely pop song having kind of 60's and 80's mixed together nicely. Great lyrics and beautiful singing as always.

Janne

#369235 - 10/09/16 12:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Quote:
And your words were clear as crystal
So I got it through my head
But still, I just can’t get it through my heart

yeh, that says it all!!

Was it really 4.20 cos it went so fast and needed an immediate 2nd play.

Beautiful vocals and harmonies
marvelous!

really enjoyed that

Alyn

My story

#369244 - 10/09/16 02:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
The moment I heard those words "Ruby Tuesday" I knew you had a hit!

Just kidding! But seriously Greg. I don't think anyone can say where this song came from. The only thing that matters is that it's not gone.

Ok, I'll stop!!! smile Greg, I really loved this production and your vocal is outstanding. Perhaps the best vocal I have heard from you yet. Really top notch.

Cheers!

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#369258 - 10/09/16 06:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Beautiful song, beautiful lyric. Well done Greg

#369328 - 10/09/16 02:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA

Greg, you've never posted a song that we didn't think was a great listen and this one does not disappoint. In fact we feel that vocal arrangement and execution is amongst your absolute best -- good company smile

Mario mentioned the Byrds and the BB. Sort of like the Beach Boys meet the Byrds and then Don Henley drops by!

Your production well showcases the lyric and the vocals. This is a super addition to our SC playlist!

J&B

#369372 - 10/10/16 05:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Simply beautiful! This reminds me of my all-time favorite of yours 'how love is supposed to feel'.
A very nice 70's feel to it, captures that emotion very well.
Definitely one of your best!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#369437 - 10/10/16 03:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Greg,

You are SUCH a fine writer! In a just world, you would be a star (or, at the very least, RICH!).

Your productions get tighter with each new offering. Your vocals - which have always been strong - get more and more "in the pocket".

But the real star here is MELODY. It sometimes seems a "lost art". You continually hit the mark - in spades. This has all the earmarks of those great AM hits in the golden era of AM radio - when "catchy was king"... The Turtles! The Grass Roots! Tommy James and the Shondells..."Red Rubber Ball", "Green Tambourine"... Pure Ear Candy.

Awesome.

smile

fj

#369459 - 10/10/16 07:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Southwest USA
SaxMarc Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Southwest USA
Really took me back to that era...the mix is perfect for that vibe.

#369539 - 10/11/16 01:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: MarioD]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Greg this is my all time favorite of yours, to date that is!

I like everything about this one, the vocal, lyrics, backing tracks and mix. Your harmonies during the chorus were perfect, Beach Boy, Grass Roots' style. The 12 string make it sound a little like the Byrds. Actually any number of groups from that era could have sang this one.

This is a keeper.

Thanks so much for the incredibly kind words Mario! I do love the oldies with the sweet harmonies. It's fun to play around with vocal arrangements. I'm glad to see (and hear) you around so often! Take care. Greg

#369558 - 10/11/16 03:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: North Yorkshire, England
receder Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Hi Greg,

Everyone is right, this is a great song.
I love the 12 string guitar, and the chugging electric. Plus your vocals and harmonies sound brilliant. Probably my favourite song on here at the moment.

Congrats!
Rec

#369564 - 10/11/16 04:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Will B - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Great song! Those are the best days, when you wake up and it's like all the work has already been done for you smile The 12-string is really wonderful, but my favourite bit has gotta be the vocal melody in the chorus. This wouldn't sound out of place in a John Hughes film (and I mean that in the very best of ways).

#369595 - 10/11/16 11:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Greg

This song is very pleasant.
Simple but strong Intro.
It sounds like 60's American Pops.
The start of the bridge reminds me of Beach Boys.
Your vocal and chorus are perfect.
Very enjoyable listen.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#369617 - 10/12/16 04:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Cape Town
PaddyG Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Cape Town

Hi Greg,

You surpass yourself with every new posting, this one has no year stamp on it, it is timeless
Would have sounded great, and fitted in way back, will still sound great anytime forward.
It’s just a great song, well sung, with excellent lyrics, and great harmonies

Paddy G

#369632 - 10/12/16 06:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Greg, You can't get it through your heart, but I can't get it out of my head. Maybe you were reading Brian Wilson's new book or you had a musical flashback because I hear his influence at the start of every chorus. What an outstanding melody and vocal performance. Well written lyrics and a good production. I was working on some new stuff a few days ago and listened to this several times. It messed me up so bad I had to go for a walk. Didn't help, it was completely stuck in my head. So I temporarily abandoned my projects and went and watched baseball. Excellent song, downright beautiful! Tom

#369846 - 10/13/16 01:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Robertkc]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Greg,

Cool opening with that ringing 12-string and lines that grab the attention:

the whole song captures the sound of the great musical era you lean towards, so to heck with contemporary!
I always enjoy your vocals- reminds me of Don Henley.
Another very good song.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Your words are much appreciated! It's been really nice hearing the stuff you bring to the forum-really interesting and deep songs! Take care. Greg

#370050 - 10/14/16 08:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Can't get it thru my heart (brand new 50 year old song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Sorry, I meant to comment on this last night but SC just quit on me - kaput - wouldn't play nothing - it's back fine today....

Greg, I love it when you do this kind of song! Beautiful harmonies backing up that wonderful voice - thoughtful lyrics - cool tracks - captures the era which is also one of my favs in music. It's just a totally sweet ride from start to finish.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32841 Members
68 Forums
66126 Topics
561470 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
uhv14437@cuoly.c, Chris52, EyalSavab, Christmas Music, Calceus

32841 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 175
VideoTrack 154