You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#378483 - 11/30/16 07:05 AM [Beginners Forum] Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!!
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Basic Chord Entry Lesson #1

Yo Props!

Welcome to the Forum and Band in a Box! You are about to embark upon a very fun journey.

Remember, that learning is the fun part, so never get frustrated. You will learn something new every day and after a while you will discover new confidence in your problem solving skills and cleverness as you try and figure things out, trust me! smile

Here is a little lesson with a link to a BIAB folder I have in drop box to add user tracks and files and other stuff people might find useful.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y4ujowwpqh5y42t/AABnCcRP8YYL6ydXzoebe2Nza?dl=0

In the dropbox you will connect to by the link there is a file with a style called a “multi-style”. Pop Multi-Style Plus. (You can find all multi-styles sorted in the style picker if you type in the + symbol) This style will remind you of "Hotel California" a bit.

Here are some thoughts and cool things to learn:

1. These + styles. These styles are “pre-arranged” if you will--so they are pretty cool.

2. Also notice (if you grab my drop box version) that I have chosen to show the chords in both the key “letter names” and also as roman numerals by toggling the chord display. (See screen shots.)

3. This is interesting because almost all Pop Songs are based on the use of I ii iii IV V vii and Dim7 chords in any key--but put in a different order. We will never run out of interesting combinations and new melodies over these combinations in this or any lifetime.

Fiddle and fool with these combinations and you will write 1000 songs easily by the end of next year.

4. This style shows some very cool chord progressions in the various parts. All of the bases are covered in terms of the numbers given above.

The numbers relate to the steps of the scale

C D E F G A B C
C Dm Em F G Am Bdim7
I ii ii IV V vi VIIdim I
1 2m 3m 4 5 6m 7dim 1

(Nashville Notation)

In country or pop it is somewhat rare to play a true 2nd chord (or D in the C scale) so that is why the major and minor chords above are referred to most often. Classic exception. Rolling Stones, You Can’t Always Get What You Want. “If you try some time…” goes to the second.

Bb But if you….

C…Try some time…
smile

Rules are made to be broken right??

AND, once you see what’s going on number-wise, and see that you are mixing it up, all you have to do is hit transpose to try this out in other keys.

Also, in drop box I put a pdf manual to the Band in a Box key chord entry short cuts in case you are interested.

Finally, for further arrangement fun, get very used to the dots. Look up shots and holds in the manual and you will have a blast.

Here’s the tip of the day: One dot (period) placed after the chords will solo the instruments.

The “slots” go in this order

1. Bass (b) (could be another instrument here but still “b”)
2. Piano (p) (could be another instrument here but still “p”)
3. Drums (d)
4. Guitar (g)
5. Strings (s) (Could be another guitar or another instrument but still “s”)

In the file I put in drop box, the piano is built into the substyle. (You can see what is in the substyle by hovering over the gold bar and right clicking)

Type E.p and it shows up in pink. Rinse and repeat for other intro chords and you get a piano intro.

Or you can type E.pg and use piano and guitar. A world of wonders.

(If you use the dots I spoke of, and then save and open the BIAB file in Real Band, your “arrangement” is preserved and ready for use or export. Wicked cool.)

Remember to save the Real band file as an .seq (sequence) file.

Have fun!

P.S. This lesson also in drop box as a pdf.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y4ujowwpqh5y42t/AABnCcRP8YYL6ydXzoebe2Nza?dl=0

Attachments
Multi Styles.png

Chord Display.png

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#378655 - 11/30/16 06:55 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!! [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: Mchenry, Illinois
props2 Offline
Enthusiast

David, Thank you very much for this detailed and informative post. I will pick up your files from dropbox and give it a go. I will have to keep coming back to your post and reread or I will make a train wreck of the whole thing.I will experiment using the dot method for the solo portions. Honestly,I have not even opened Realband so this should be interesting. I am pretty well versed with scales and modes as the last 5 months before getting BIAB I work quite hard practicing and getting my head back into theory. I am sure I will be coming back with questions. Thank you again!

#378728 - 12/01/16 06:16 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!! [Re: props2]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

My pleasure. Just have fun with it.

You'll get it!!!

Ask any questions you like. That's what we are here for.

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#378974 - 12/01/16 05:26 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!! [Re: David Snyder]
props2 Offline
Enthusiast

David, All went well. I really,really enjoyed your tune..great job!! Ha...I saved it, I will noodle on it later. It downloaded into BB and I played with the "dot" feature. I ah....took out your piano and dotted in the bass for the intro. Yeah...A little weird. I will change it back.
The dot option is a cool shortcut. Thanks for sharing that.

I saved it and brought it into RB. I just gotta figure out what I am looking at or better yet what I should be looking at. Is there a reason your tracks start on channel 9? And not channel 1? Like I say, I will continue to read the manual and play around. Again, loved the song.

#378995 - 12/01/16 06:13 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!! [Re: props2]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Hey Props,

Thanks! Real quick.

In Beal Band, the first 8 tracks dedicate themselves as BIAB tracks if you open a BIAB file. That is in case the style has any midi tracks in it. Those 8 correspond to the 8 channels in the BIAB layout plus audio.

The Real Tracks in the style go under that.

Comes in REAL Handy as you will learn later.

Anything else is up to you. Generate new tracks. Mix and match. Change styles and regenerate. Play and sing!

Have fun. Write with any questions. You'll get it.

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#379328 - 12/02/16 03:05 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!! [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: San Jose, CA
Marty Sorensen Offline
Apprentice

What's a Prop? Am I a Prop? Should I be worried?

#379332 - 12/02/16 03:31 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!! [Re: Marty Sorensen]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Marty!!

Props is the name of the original poster!!!!

smile

But you can be a prop if you want to be one!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#379478 - 12/03/16 05:57 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!! [Re: David Snyder]
Marty Sorensen Offline
Apprentice

In a song up just now 12/3, the duet "Win Your Heart" by Floyd Jane and Janice Merritt, in the chorus there is, I believe, the use of the dot at the end of the phrase "every single day..." is that right?

I also really like that the lyrics are posted on Soundcloud, so I don't have to go back and forth.

Thank you very much for the time you are spending on this.

#379531 - 12/03/16 09:45 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!! [Re: Marty Sorensen]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Marty,

It sure sounds like it, unless they used another editing trick. Either way, that is what the dot will do.

smile

But again, you can solo instruments, as I earlier instructed, or can do a a shot, rest or hold by using one, two or three periods on the chord itself.

• C.=Res, C..=Shot, C…=Hold

I would highly recommend doing a search function for those in the manual as they are indispensable tools.

Have a great one!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#379705 - 12/03/16 08:05 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!! [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: South Australia
wish Offline
Apprentice

Loc: South Australia
Just to let you know, there are others - well me anyway, trying to follow this.
Thanks
Sony SSD
Windows10,INTEL CORE i3-330M Processor 2.13GHz 64bit
Coyote Forte DXi
Seagate 2TB portable hard drive

#379771 - 12/04/16 06:35 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Basic Chord Entry Lesson # 1_Welcome Props!! [Re: wish]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

OK, I understand.

We are doing our best to address individual questions and also be inclusive.

Also, we are just getting started so please bear with us as we work out the kinks. This is a volunteer effort and we are putting a lot of thought into the best way to do this to create a library of resources that will be easy to retrieve.

Again, we are glad you are here and feel free to offer suggestions and helpful feedback with specific questions as we are trying to get our sea legs.

Thanks.

www.davidsnydermusic.com

PG Music News
Video - Explore the Band-in-a-Box® 2020 MultiRiffs Feature

MultiRiffs is a popular feature that has previously been available in RealBand and the Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin. With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020, it's now available in Band-in-a-Box® too! This feature allows you to quickly generate 7 variations of riffs from the same RealTracks for either a portion of the song or the whole song.

Tobin has made a great video explaining using the MultiRiffs feature within Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows - check it out here.

Read more about this feature here.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows New Features

Learn all about the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows - our New Features Video is ready! Watch it here.

Read all about the new features:
New features website
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Upgrade Manual

Or read our "49 of Your Problems Solved!" page, here, which lists 49 requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows.

Don't forget... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2019 - you can save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2020 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2020 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

49 of Your Problems Solved with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, there are 50+ new features, 202 RealTracks, and more!

We get ideas for the new features and new RealTracks from program users- there are several sources: our Wishlist and general forum, support phone calls, trade shows, etc. In most cases, customers are not describing a new feature – they are describing a problem they have that they would like to have solved.

This is a list of our features and additions in Band-in-a-Box® 2020, presented from a unique perspective. It is from this customer list of "problems they would like solved." These are not exact quotes, they are paraphrased from our discussions with our customers. They explain what problems and requests they discussed with us, that resulted in the various new features and RealTracks. Hopefully this answers the question "why did you add this feature/content?"

So, without further ado, here are the 49 requests/problems that we (hopefully) have solved with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020: click here to review.

50 New RealStyles included in Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

Loops-with-Style PAK 1 is a new library of 100 original loops that we've created using RealTracks/RealDrums source material, and it includes 50 new RealStyles!

Click here to listen to audio demos of the new RealStyles included with Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®.

ON SALE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st! Save over 30% when you purchase during our special - add Loops-with-Style PAK 1 to your collection today for just $19! Click here for more information.

New! Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

A brand-new Band-in-a-Box Add-on is HERE!

Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 (and higher) expands your loops collection with 100 new loops! Click here to watch our video demonstration.

We've taken the RealDrums and RealTracks source audio and remixed, remastered, and combined it to create these original loops. All of your favorite genres are covered, like jazz, funk, rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, and more! To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle!

ON SALE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st!

Save over 30% when you purchase during our special - add Loops-with-Style PAK 1 to your collection today for just $19!

Click here for more information. Mac user? This new Add-on works for you too! Click here for Mac.

Video - 202 New RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows®!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we've added 202 new RealTracks! These include great Americana, Gospel Vocals, new Blues, Country Pollwinners, Bossa Flute/Horn sections, Jazz Blues and Rhythm Changes, British and Hazy '60s guitars, Modern Funk, Island Grooves with steel drum and marimba, Singer-Songwriter, and more!

Get the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352 when you purchase the PlusPAK upgrade (ideal for 2019 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+ customers) for just $99 during our special (reg. $129).

Want the entire RealTracks collection with over 2,900 RealTracks? They are included with any Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Check out this video, which demonstrates the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352.

New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Add-ons are Here!

Just released for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac: Xtra Styles PAK 8 and Loops-with-Style PAK 1!

We've added 164 fantastic new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 8! These are imaginative new combinations of our existing RealTracks library that fall into four categories: Rock/Pop 8, Jazz 8, Country 8, and Celtic 1. To celebrate the release of Xtra Styles PAK 8, ALL of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-8 are on sale for just $29 each! Learn more & listen to demos here.

Also brand-new is our Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®, which gives you the chance to expand your loops collection with 100 new loops! We've taken the RealDrums and RealTracks source audio and remixed, remastered, and combined it to create these original loops. All of your favorite genres are covered like jazz, funk, rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, and more! To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle! Get started with Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for the introductory price of just $19 until December 31st (reg: $29). Learn more & watch a great video demonstration here.

Note: Xtra Styles PAK 8 and Loops-with-Style PAK 1 require the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 or higher UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Forum Stats
30596 Members
63 Forums
61238 Topics
517149 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
fenghaodang, Abdul Alzahrani, Dannyboy1976, mgrimaldi, Dinesh

30595 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 296
Matt Finley 229