Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#380757 - 12/07/16 03:36 PM [User Showcase] Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Clint's Mandolin

This song is a tribute to my (Bud's) step father. Clint was born in 1907, his father died young, and he had to get his first crop loan from the bank when he was only 14.  He lived his entire life on the family farm. During the late 1920's and 30's he, a brother (Sanford) and a friend played in a string band on Saturday nights - the traditional recreation time for farmers who worked 6-7 days a week. 

The prelude was created from an old tape that I recorded over 40 years ago of Clint, Sanford and me pickin' in the living room.

The arrangement and mix attempts to present the sound of a string band playing live into, at most, a couple of mics. The pickers had to "work" the mics moving in and out for fills and solos. It took some choreography! The bluegrass band Janice and I were in for many years used this setup.

Keeping with his style of music the song is a basic three chord write with no chorus or bridge. Many songs of their repertoire were of this style. Since I used to pick guitar or bass with Clint and Sanford I played and recorded my upright bass for the first time in a decade for this tribute.

This is, as Bill Monroe called them, a “true life song.”

The Soundcloud photo is a group of photos I took many years ago of Clint, Sanford, the mandolin he played 80 years ago and his favorite chair and cushion smile

While this is a personal song we do hope that you enjoy it and as always we welcome your thoughts.

J&B

Vocal: Janice - Rhodes NT1 mic, Scarlett 212 USB interface and Logic Pro X
Bass (1953 upright Kay): Bud - MXL mic, Scarlett 212 USB interface and Logic Pro X
Guitar rhythm: RT 598 - I comped in the Lester Flatt G run throughout the song keeping with the style.
Mandolin rhythm: RT 599
Mandolin solo : RT 820 - fills and solos were comped from multiple generations
Banjo rhythm: RT 590
Banjo solo: RT 591 - fills and solos were comped from multiple generations

Logic Pro X/Nectar 2/Alloy2/Ozone 7 and various effects from Logic.
Thanks to PG Music, floyd jane and Tom Adams

Clint’s Mandolin

clint and his brother worked the fields every day
times were hard but they held their farm together
on saturday nights they played in a string band
pickin’ at barn dances when a crowd could gather

years passed till they could no longer work the farm
i’d find him sitting out back on a feed sack cushion
playing mandolin, his brother on the five string
i’d join on guitar and listen to the tales they spun

time came when family and friends were all gone
he’d hold his mandolin staring into the past
i could feel the memories drifting all around him
some were fleeting but some will always last

today he rests a few miles from the old farm
his name and a mandolin are carved in the stone
a wise man who never left the land he loved
when i think of him i hear the ancient tones

above our mantle hangs clint’s mandolin
lord, i wish i could hear him play it again
i’d love to hear clint play his mandolin again

Janice and Bud Merritt
© 2016 / All rights reserved
J&B Website

#380766 - 12/07/16 04:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

This is way super cool, and does have an incredibly great production quality that sounds like the real deal.

LOVE the scratchy intro.

And I love the way Janice goes all Loretta on "in the fields every daaaaaaaaaaaay."

smile

I can tell A LOT of work went into this one and it paid off. Superb, genuine, rootsy sound and great vocals. Great lyrics, too, by the way.

I do have a question:

In trying to emulate the sound of pickers "moving around a mic" are you referring to the way you worked the faders in the mix or some other technique you used to get that sound since you were using some real tracks?

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#380776 - 12/07/16 04:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi Janice & Bud! Excellent work yet again on this its been a while!, Really fond of the vocals they're quite soothing. Well done! smile

#380795 - 12/07/16 06:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: David Snyder]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
This is way super cool, and does have an incredibly great production quality that sounds like the real deal.

LOVE the scratchy intro.

And I love the way Janice goes all Loretta on "in the fields every daaaaaaaaaaaay."

smile

I can tell A LOT of work went into this one and it paid off. Superb, genuine, rootsy sound and great vocals. Great lyrics, too, by the way.

I do have a question:

In trying to emulate the sound of pickers "moving around a mic" are you referring to the way you worked the faders in the mix or some other technique you used to get that sound since you were using some real tracks?

Hey David. We greatly appreciate ALL of your comments. Glad the intro worked for you and, hahahaha, I was kidding Janice about "day." You oughta hear her say "bright night!" We are both lifetime residents of Georgia but her accent puts mine to shame smile

What I tried to do with the fills was based on playing bass looking at the backside of a bluegrass band for years. As a player worked his way closer to the mic for a fill or solo it sounded like they were being faded in and when the pulled away the opposite. I removed the respective rhythm when time for a fill and after the last rhythm note I volume shaped the fill in and then out and bring the rhythm back in after the fill note fades out. I hear bluegrass mixes sometimes when, for example, a rhythm mandolin is playing through a mandolin solo...but that destroys the live feel. Also I brought up the volume of the comped in G runs since the guitar player typically moves his/her guitar closer to a mic for that signature run.

Thanks again for the wonderful comments.

J&B
J&B Website

#380818 - 12/07/16 11:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Bud & Janice,

David got in good an early with "Superb, genuine, rootsy sound and great vocals".

A lovely tribute and a great story - told in a way that sounds like second nature to (y'all?).
You're experience in this genre shines through - the instrumentals were excellent and the production and write is great, and sounds like everyone was in the room. It's a great piece of storytelling.

The bass player really knows his stuff!!(nicely recorded).

Janice of course, is as ever lovely to listen to.

Brilliant.

Peter

#380849 - 12/08/16 01:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Great work. Everything is all right but I mostly like the bass line.

Always great songs by you.

Sergio

Sergio

#380858 - 12/08/16 02:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Janice and Bud

Hey, just how good is this, eh?

Every part has been masterfully put together, delivering absolutely a great hospitality country feel.

Take a bow y'all. What a great story, what a great tribute. May Clint's Mandolin play for a long time yet.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#380866 - 12/08/16 03:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Byron Bay, NSW, Australia
Matcham Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Byron Bay, NSW, Australia
Hey Janice and Bud I hope you're not surprised to learn I love this track. Really nice song and mix and I'm deeply jealous of having Janice to do the vocal.

Your technique with the faders is the same as I've been doing with my bluegrassy tracks. There's nothing quite like the vibe of acoustic musicians stepping up to and from a single, sweet condensor mic, is there? It's good to see this kind of performance making a comeback.

#380881 - 12/08/16 04:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Janice & Bud,

This may be my favorite from you two - loved everything about it...

Bob

#380893 - 12/08/16 05:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: Midwest
Great song! Talk about a perfect feel. I love it!

I am tempted to run a few eq filters on it and add some vinyl clicks and pops to make it sound like the time I see in my head it's from. It wouldn't sound as great as you've done, but would make it feel authentic to me. If that makes ANY sense at all? smile

GREAT JOB! smile

#380902 - 12/08/16 06:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Joe -PG Music]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi Janice & Bud! Excellent work yet again on this its been a while!, Really fond of the vocals they're quite soothing. Well done! smile

Thanks Joe. Yes it has been a while since our last bluegrass production...about three years. We've been off in blues and bluesy rock/country thanks to Biab!

Appreciate you checking in and commenting.

J&B
J&B Website

#380908 - 12/08/16 06:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
J&B, Old school greatness here!! You have done an incredibly good job of capturing the sound you were going for. And yes, you are right on about the subtle ways that a mix can be enhanced by remembering to mute the rhythm of an instrument when a lead is playing. This made me think of my grandparents who were lifelong farmers. Thanks, Torrey

#380934 - 12/08/16 07:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
J&B,

This is delightful! A great tribute to the real origin of Bluegrass. And now, Clint's Mandolin is famous!

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#380941 - 12/08/16 08:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

This is the one of the best mixes I've heard on here. It's sparkling and smooth as butter. You deftly captured the fluid authentic flow of the arrangement in the mix. Bud playing that great sounding bass! Janice's beautiful voice. An outstanding production and heartfelt tribute to your stepfather.

#380990 - 12/08/16 10:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

J&B,
I really enjoyed your tribute.The intro is like like a few seconds of time travel...left me wanting more of that old recording.
The song is beautifully recorded and has that " real" feel that I only hear in the most authentic country artists today ( Iris Dement comes to mind).

Well done!

Robert

#380991 - 12/08/16 10:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: North Yorkshire, England
receder Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Hi Janice and Bud,

They don't come much better than this. One of your finest! I love it that everything about this is real. From the back story, the 40+ year old recording in the opening bars, Bud on upright bass, the mix recreating the "working of the mics" to the photo on SoundCloud. Even the song structure is how it used to be. You sure have put a lot of work into this, but it has paid off big time!

Times must have been tough for Clint and Sanford. I can just imagine how much pleasure they got from their Saturday night sessions. Imagine what they would say now if they could hear your song?

It's also a great production and I love Janice's vocal. It reminds me a lot of Linda Ronstadt.

Brilliant work,
Jez

#381004 - 12/08/16 11:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Very cool.

Also if you write a song called Bright Bright Night where Janice keeps saying "it happened on a Briiiiiiiight Briiiiiiiiight Niiiiiiiight over and over in the chorus I will not only put it on my playlist I will shell out cash money to buy it.

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#381021 - 12/08/16 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool tune. Loved the intro. Mandolin was very cool. Awesome vocal and lyric.

#381030 - 12/08/16 12:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Wonderful tribute!! I love the early recording at the opening. Really nice live vibe, and Janice's vocals are KILLER!! With the music, the story, and the cool pictures, it is a multimedia, multi-dimensional experience. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

#381048 - 12/08/16 01:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Clint's Mandolin (a tribute to my stepfather) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Callie - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Well, what can I say that hasn't been said already - everyone is loving this song!

It's today's HOT FORUM TOPIC!

Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28457 Members
58 Forums
55314 Topics
460838 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
bobl6289, wsscott72, nobby, jeM, Masaladosa

28457 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 387
Pipeline 347