Options
Index
#416197 - 06/02/17 05:07 AM [User Showcase] The Perfect Illusion
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

This one is a bit of a rocker: The Perfect Illusion

I was messing about on the guitar a few weeks ago and came up with the riff for this. A bit more of a rock song than we normally do, but Chris knocked it out of the park IMHO!

I used BIAB for the bass and drums:

Drums: RockThrashHalfTimeEV16
Bass: 387

In addition I recorded four guitar tracks: Tele for the left panned rhythm and riff(doubled), PRS CE22 for the right panned rhythm and lead

All comments welcome!

The Perfect Illusion, lyrics by Christiane Spruit, 2017

Verse 1
Every day there is a new outrage
breaking news of mankind
Things are moving from outrageous to absurd
within a blink of an eye

CHORUS
Hear it comes, the perfect illusion
Here it comes, the perfect lie

Verse 2
The mood was dark and now it is turning to black
there is no way to break it through
The stars are stripes there is no climate collapse
we have to get back to the fact

CHORUS

BRIDGE
Now we come to the conclusion
the truth is hard to find

Solo

Chorus

Outro

Edited by BlueAttitude (06/02/17 05:08 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#416201 - 06/02/17 05:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Dave,

Great song! Chris really nailed the vocal - she's got a very cool sound. Excellent production as well - I really like the way you panned the Tele parts - a very tight "in the pocket" feel.

Bob

#416203 - 06/02/17 05:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Dark Rock - We like it!

Very nice guitar work and Chris' vocal is spot on. Cool song! Best to both of you.

Alan & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#416225 - 06/02/17 08:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This song reminds me of the music when I was a young teenager. Loved the difference sounds of the guitars. So distinct and different. Very cool. Super vocal and backtrack.

#416248 - 06/02/17 10:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Dave & Chris...

Awesome rock song. A good rock write.

Good Rock vocal!

Cool retro sound to everything. Those drums really WORK! Nice guitar work - all over the place. Nice solo - love the tone - how did you get that?

Excellent mix - everything right where it needed to be.

Everything about this shouts "Cream!"

Nice.

floyd

#416271 - 06/02/17 02:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Jimi!!!

Foxy Lady!!!!!

That's what I'm talking about.

Loved it. You sound like two Voodoo Chiles.

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#416273 - 06/02/17 03:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Montréal Quebec Canada
LPman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Montréal Quebec Canada
Definitely an awesome gig, nicely mastered!

#416288 - 06/02/17 04:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Jimi without the distortion......love it! Love that guitar lead! Great vocals with an outstanding mix.

All I can say is WOW, THIS IS OUTSTANDING[.

This is a keeper!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#416295 - 06/02/17 04:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
nice riffs

hot solo, very nice

great vocals, reminds me of Pat Benatar, whom I always liked a lot

the bass player bothered me on first listen, I was gonna say

fire him and try another track, but I played the intro again and it

sounds fine, maybe a little loose, like the bass should be playing a

steady 8th note drone so that it doesn't compete with the guitar.

it's only my humble thoughts and I've been wrong before...

enjoyed the song!

Kenny

#416338 - 06/03/17 03:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: rsdean]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dave,

Great song! Chris really nailed the vocal - she's got a very cool sound. Excellent production as well - I really like the way you panned the Tele parts - a very tight "in the pocket" feel.

Bob

Thanks, Bob! The production side of things is something I really enjoy doing. I've learned a lot over the last couple of years mainly from hanging out here and learning from guys that have forgotten more about mixing than I'll ever know. But, never too old to learn and I always try and get better.

#416339 - 06/03/17 03:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: Al-David]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Dark Rock - We like it!

Very nice guitar work and Chris' vocal is spot on. Cool song! Best to both of you.

Alan & Di

Thanks Alan & Di, I appreciate you taking the time to listen to and comment on our song!

#416340 - 06/03/17 03:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: Scott C]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Scott C
This song reminds me of the music when I was a young teenager. Loved the difference sounds of the guitars. So distinct and different. Very cool. Super vocal and backtrack.

Well, you will never hear anything modern from me, I'm old school when it comes to the music I listen to and the music I play.
Thanks for dropping by, Scott!

#416345 - 06/03/17 03:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: floyd jane]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave & Chris...

Awesome rock song. A good rock write.

Good Rock vocal!

Cool retro sound to everything. Those drums really WORK! Nice guitar work - all over the place. Nice solo - love the tone - how did you get that?

Floyd, for the last 18 months or so I've been using the Scuffham S-Gear amp simulator. It was actually Tom Adams that turned me onto it, he uses S-Gear too. In addition I'm feeding the output of the S-Gear into a waves plugin called CLA Unplugged, designed for acoustic instruments and vocals but I think it works great on electric guitar too. It has compression, reverb, and delay FX.

Excellent mix - everything right where it needed to be.

I've learned a lot about mixing from hanging out here for the last couple of years, and much of it I learned from constructive criticism I received from you! So, thanks for that smile

Everything about this shouts "Cream!"
floyd

Like many guys my age, i.e. old as dirt, I first got really into music after hearing the Beatles on the Sullivan show. But the first time I heard Cream! Man, it blew me away. Track was "White Room", just something so different and powerful about the sound. Not to mention Eric on guitar!

Thanks Floyd, Chris and I always appreciate your comments! smile

#416364 - 06/03/17 07:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Dave.

Brilliant piece of Rock.

Like Kenny said, the vocal is very Pat Benatar, or maybe even Grace Slick - wonderful.

The whole thing really drives along and then that splendid solo comes in. What's not to like?

Loved the whole thing.

ROG.

#416395 - 06/03/17 01:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
Dave, I really liked that riff you started off with (it really carries the song along). You are certainly right about Chris' vocal on this (Grace Slick in her heyday had nothing on her). Some really nice licks in the solo work. Thanks, Torrey.

#416449 - 06/04/17 04:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: David Snyder]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Jimi!!!

Foxy Lady!!!!!

That's what I'm talking about.

Loved it. You sound like two Voodoo Chiles.

smile

Good ear, David!

Yeah, Jimi was special. Great guitar player of course, but also a great songwriter! That Axis Bold as Love album ... not a bad track on it!

There is this concert series up here called Classic Albums Live, not sure if that is just a Canadian thing or not. Anyway they have this core group of musicians that will take a classic rock album and will reproduce the entire thing note for note, so sometimes you can have a lot of musicians on stage. Very cool on some albums where there were lots of extra tracks done in the studio that the bands could not reproduce live, some of the later Beatles albums for example.

Long story short, a couple of months ago they did "Are you experienced" for the first set, and then most of "Axis Bold of Love" plus a few from "Electric Ladyland" for the second set. Pretty much blew me away hearing all those great songs again, and hearing them live for the first time.

So I came up with the riff for this shortly after seeing that, and used the "Hendrix" chord, E7#9, which he used in Foxy Lady and Purple Haze.

Thanks man, I appreciate the listen and comments! smile

#416473 - 06/04/17 08:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: BlueAttitude]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Dave, I have always loved that chord and use it a lot myself. Guitar work is super and the vocal by Chris is perfect for the song. Very well conceived and written. Has a cool retro sound that really works. An excellent listen and one of my favorites of your recent posts. Tom

#416539 - 06/05/17 02:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: LPman]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: LPman
Definitely an awesome gig, nicely mastered!

Thanks LPman! (I see you are from Montreal, that's where I was born)

#416541 - 06/05/17 02:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: MarioD]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Jimi without the distortion......love it! Love that guitar lead! Great vocals with an outstanding mix.

All I can say is WOW, THIS IS OUTSTANDING[.

This is a keeper!

Thanks Mario!! (I've never been a fan of too much distortion, just enough to make it sing smile

#416542 - 06/05/17 02:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Perfect Illusion [Re: 44kfl]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
nice riffs

hot solo, very nice

great vocals, reminds me of Pat Benatar, whom I always liked a lot

the bass player bothered me on first listen, I was gonna say

fire him and try another track, but I played the intro again and it

sounds fine, maybe a little loose, like the bass should be playing a

steady 8th note drone so that it doesn't compete with the guitar.

it's only my humble thoughts and I've been wrong before...

enjoyed the song!

Kenny

Thanks Kenny! If I revisit this song in the future I'll see if I can do something better with the bass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28456 Members
58 Forums
55306 Topics
460782 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
nobby, jeM, Masaladosa, jonny1, rikkyj

28455 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 377
Pipeline 343