Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#417637 - 06/13/17 07:29 AM [User Showcase] Just a Touch (instrumental)
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

This is an old instrumental of mine, I decided to redo it with realtracks (original version was midi).

Just a Touch

BIAB tracks used:

RealTracks in song: ~1847:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieArp Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 2728:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BluesShuffleMike Sw 130
RealDrums in song: NashvilleShuffle^01-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

The guitar is from the original, I tried to re-record it but couldn't get the same feel I did before. Back then I was using a POD XT for recording, and I played a strat.

Still tweaking the mix a little, any comments on that appreciated smile

Update: Just uploaded a new mix, made some changes to the piano (thanks Floyd!)

https://soundcloud.com/blue-attitude/just-a-touch-instrumental

Edited by BlueAttitude (06/16/17 02:51 AM)
Edit Reason: added soundcloud link

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#417647 - 06/13/17 09:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool track. Love the harmonies between the guitars. You might find my playing along with your track :-).

#417673 - 06/13/17 12:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Dave,

Your guitar work on this is OUTSTANDING! Gorgeous! Beautiful! Saaaawwweeeeet!

Some of the best on this forum - and there has been a lot of good stuff.

That clean tone is the "too die for" kind...

Your playing is fluid and musical. It sings. It is never overstated. EXTRAORDINARY.

The bass and drums are equally supportive - both sound great.

--------- separating this part ------------

Lots of personal opinion here on the piano... I find it distracting - not supportive - "gettting in the way" of a STELLAR guitar performance. For a number of reasons...

- it's too busy. It is doing nice "shuffle things", no doubt, but it is conflicting with the guitar in a lot of places, and therefore... "getting in the way". It needs to quiet down some - some simple held chords underneath the guitar. And be a little lower in volume...

- being panned to one side - at least the way it is coming across on my speakers - is dragging my ear to it. I believe (personal opinion) that a piano should be mixed to "spread across the stero field". It doesn't have to be centered (through I typically center pianos), but it should not fall all to one side.

- there is a "bass-y, dark, dry" sound to the piano that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the mix. Rolling off the lows (or some mids) or adding some reverb might change that (can only be determined in the context of the mix). OR... try using the MIDI Supertrack version (2843:Piano, Rhythm BluesShuffleMike Sw 130) to get more control over the piano sound - by using a vsti of you choice.

That is a lot of "negative opinions" of one VERY SMALL aspect of...

a truly EXPECTIONAL recording. Not to detracted from that performance at all (I hope). 'Cause I really, REALLY like this!!!

fj

#417674 - 06/13/17 12:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: Scott C]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool track. Love the harmonies between the guitars. You might find my playing along with your track :-).

Hey, we should do a jam sometime! I like your playing style.

#417675 - 06/13/17 12:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Very nice

beautiful guitars

akin to In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed, Allman Bros. to my ear

still it sounds original and inspired

I think stereo panning that piano might be an improvement

to what it brings to this

Great playing, great recording

Kenny

#417676 - 06/13/17 12:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: floyd jane]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave,

Your guitar work on this is OUTSTANDING! Gorgeous! Beautiful! Saaaawwweeeeet!

Some of the best on this forum - and there has been a lot of good stuff.

That clean tone is the "too die for" kind...

Your playing is fluid and musical. It sings. It is never overstated. EXTRAORDINARY.

The bass and drums are equally supportive - both sound great.

--------- separating this part ------------

Lots of personal opinion here on the piano... I find it distracting - not supportive - "gettting in the way" of a STELLAR guitar performance. For a number of reasons...

- it's too busy. It is doing nice "shuffle things", no doubt, but it is conflicting with the guitar in a lot of places, and therefore... "getting in the way". It needs to quiet down some - some simple held chords underneath the guitar. And be a little lower in volume...

- being panned to one side - at least the way it is coming across on my speakers - is dragging my ear to it. I believe (personal opinion) that a piano should be mixed to "spread across the stero field". It doesn't have to be centered (through I typically center pianos), but it should not fall all to one side.

- there is a "bass-y, dark, dry" sound to the piano that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the mix. Rolling off the lows (or some mids) or adding some reverb might change that (can only be determined in the context of the mix). OR... try using the MIDI Supertrack version (2843:Piano, Rhythm BluesShuffleMike Sw 130) to get more control over the piano sound - by using a vsti of you choice.

That is a lot of "negative opinions" of one VERY SMALL aspect of...

a truly EXPECTIONAL recording. Not to detracted from that performance at all (I hope). 'Cause I really, REALLY like this!!!

fj

Floyd, man!!!!!! You leave the best comments, I've learned a lot from your constructive criticism over the last couple of years smile

I'll see what I can do to fix the piano, might take an hour or two.

Thanks again for all your help and support smile

UPDATE: Fixed the piano, panned it center and selected the "simple" option in the realtracks dialogue which made it much less busy.

I know nothing about midi supertracks, will need to learn about those soon!

Edited by BlueAttitude (06/14/17 03:15 AM)
Edit Reason: added update on fixing the piano

#417682 - 06/13/17 12:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Great track! Great tone! Great playing! Just a total enjoyable experience to listen to this!! Take care. Greg

#417701 - 06/13/17 04:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Dave,

That is some great guitar! Love the choice of backing tracks as well.

Bob

#417752 - 06/14/17 03:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: 44kfl]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Very nice

beautiful guitars

akin to In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed, Allman Bros. to my ear

still it sounds original and inspired

I think stereo panning that piano might be an improvement

to what it brings to this

Great playing, great recording

Kenny

"In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed", man, what a great song! That was a Dickie Betts composition I think. If I could write an instrumental half that good I would be a happy man!

I used to listen to that Live at the Fillmore album all the time back in the day, the interplay between Dickie Betts and Duane Allman, especially the harmony lines they did .... magnificent!

Thanks for the kind words Kenny, I appreciate it!

#417813 - 06/14/17 12:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: BlueAttitude]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi dave nice guitar chops perfect tone on this great listen thanks eric

#417911 - 06/15/17 09:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: Greg Johnson]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great track! Great tone! Great playing! Just a total enjoyable experience to listen to this!! Take care. Greg

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Greg! I'm happy you enjoyed it smile

#417926 - 06/15/17 10:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: BlueAttitude]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Dave, I love the twin guitars. It has a nice melody that serves as the backbone of the song. I like when you veer off to solo. Great playing! The piano sounds much better centered. The real track and the super midi pianos seem to be recorded in stereo, so splitting the left hand and the right hand is easily accomplished with a big stereo spread. Nicely arranged and mixed. I like it! Tom

#417945 - 06/15/17 12:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Love this track, twin guitars are superb, shows great musicianship. Nice one

Whenever I have a problem, I just sing, Then I realize my voice is worse than my problem.

#417974 - 06/15/17 02:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Excellent tracks and super guitar playing.
Sergio

Sergio

#418005 - 06/15/17 08:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Hi Dave,

totally loved it! We didn't hear it before you made a few changes, but it sure sounds terrific now! You're one of the few guitarists I've heard who know how to use a deep reverb correctly. And the twinning on the guitars was simply fabulous!

Loved this a bunch! great stuff. Best to you,

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#418028 - 06/16/17 04:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Exceptional on every level. Could listen for hours. Great playing and recording...

Loved it from start to finish.

Charlie

#418168 - 06/17/17 03:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: rsdean]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dave,

That is some great guitar! Love the choice of backing tracks as well.

Bob

Thanks Bob! smile

#418169 - 06/17/17 03:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: F.M.M.]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi dave nice guitar chops perfect tone on this great listen thanks eric

Thanks, Eric!

#418281 - 06/18/17 02:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: tommyad]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Dave, I love the twin guitars. It has a nice melody that serves as the backbone of the song. I like when you veer off to solo. Great playing! The piano sounds much better centered. The real track and the super midi pianos seem to be recorded in stereo, so splitting the left hand and the right hand is easily accomplished with a big stereo spread. Nicely arranged and mixed. I like it! Tom

Thanks very much Tom, always nice to receive positive comments from you!

#418282 - 06/18/17 02:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) [Re: furry]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: furry
Love this track, twin guitars are superb, shows great musicianship. Nice one

Thanks, Graham!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Order in Time for Christmas!

Looking to put Band-in-a-Box® under the tree? It's not too late!

USA/Canada: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery
Outside of North America: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th.

Order online anytime at www.pgmusic.com and be downloading most products within minutes!

Until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows, we've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

Forum Stats
28475 Members
58 Forums
55360 Topics
461280 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Gord Heath, Krisssss Wu, MikeF, csinclair152, Sletrry

28474 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 400
Pipeline 363