Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

To listen on SoundCloud...
Reflections Of Hope - SoundCloud

Video...
Reflections Of Hope - Video

The past few months have been rather difficult. I feel bad that I have not been around to contribute more to this very fine forum. We had a death in our family a few weeks ago. We have the great peace of knowing he is in heaven, but that took me out of commission for a little while.

This Tuesday I had my most recent MDA doctor visit, and the report from the doctor wasn't the best report I have had. I came home and decided I was going to do what I can do as long as I can (My health is not so bad, but I have lost significant strength in my hands). There is not a lot of Band In The Box on this one (I did use the bass part, to make it acceptable to submit here on the forum.) I probably would not be doing what I am doing today were it not for the day that I picked up a copy of Band In A Box a few years ago on a whim. But I wanted to play as much of the instrumentation on this one as possible, myself. I wrote the song around the piano, but kept adding orchestration, and ended up here.

I dusted off my old "Sam Ash Special" $80 Ibanez acoustic guitar and decided to play the guitar solo. The piano sound is Alicia's Keys in Kontakt 5. Most of the orchestration is EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion. All recorded in Logic Pro X with my M-Audio KeyStudio 49. The guitar is just single-mic'd with my MXL Live Series mic.

I'm calling this one Reflections Of Hope. I hope you enjoy it! (I will try to get to listen to some of the great songs I have been missing over the next few days.)

RealTrack used...

RealTracks in song: ~2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085

Edited by Steve Young (10/15/17 06:58 PM)

#433346 - 10/13/17 08:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Steve,

It's really good to see you. I'm so sorry to hear that things have not been travelling along as smoothly as possible for you and your family. I'm also very sorry to hear about your loss.

Like a few of us on the forum, I've discovered, over the last few years, that getting older has a price tag attached to it. Still, if that's what it costs to sit on Earth just a little bit longer, I'll pay smile

This composition of yours is stunning, really stunning.

The beauty of the music rolls along like a warm gentle breeze on a pleasant summer's day. Everything about this had me captivated from beginning to end. Your piano melody is really enchanting. Your choice of notes and the harmonising of them made for a wonderful journey in sound. And then there was the orchestra...

Your ability to orchestrate is up there with the best in the forum. I've said this many times over the years. Since your scores never diminish in quality, though, it's always worth saying again! I greatly admire your talent and the way you consistently manage to find exactly the right sound and combination of sounds to provide the best musical excursion possible.

As I said earlier... stunning, really stunning.

All the best,
Noel

#433353 - 10/13/17 10:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Hong Kong
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Steve

A beautiful composition and fabulous production. I'm very sorry to hear you're going through a bad patch health wise and family wise. I hope composing these beautiful tunes brings you some solace at this time.

Neil
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#433372 - 10/14/17 08:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

What a beautiful tune, Steve smile Sorry to hear about your health. At least it doesn't seem to have stopped you from making great music. The composition on this is truly stunning

Thanks so much for sharing - and from all of us at PG Music we hope the best for your health smile

#433391 - 10/14/17 12:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
guitar1 Offline
Apprentice

Steve
Sometimes words are not relevant. This composition is amazing. I could listen to it for hours. I am trying to put a little more of myself into my recordings, as well. I have problems recording bass as well. I don't play bass as often as I should, so my delivery has suffered for it. I haven't fired up my keyboards in months, so it is going to be a long process. I will say that the quality of your piano doesn't seem to be suffering. You play beautifully. Sorry you are having problems with your health. I wish you well, and pray for better days ahead.

#433394 - 10/14/17 12:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hi Steve,

This is simply beautiful! What a marvelous piece of music. You made that $80.00 Ibanez sound like a million bucks.

The arrangement and tracks are splendid. I'd love to be able to do something like this. Don't think I'm that talented.

Sorry to hear about the family loss. And those health issues are always a matter of concern. I'm glad to hear the issues aren't as bad as could be. I know your frustration as I have Focal Dystonia, which has significantly hampered my guitar playing. I'm using BIAB guitar tracks on many of my compositions now. Aldo, the chemo left my left left hand fairly numb. Hang in there and keep doing what you can while you can. And Di is so weak now she can barely walk from the bedroom to the kitchen. But, we keep at it as much as possible. Good to see you are doing the same.

Wishing you the very best and, once again, a beautiful piece of music.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#433407 - 10/14/17 12:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Steve,

We are very sorry to hear about your loss and the problems with your hand.
But wow... this really is gorgeous!
One small nit, we missed your beautiful voice wink

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#433623 - 10/15/17 04:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Very nice Steve! Beautiful work that puts one in a very contemplative, reflective state of mind! Sorry to hear about your loss and best wishes for your health! It's amazing how sometimes the inexpensive instruments that we take for granted can make the best music! Your sound here is very good!! Thanks, Torrey

#433647 - 10/15/17 07:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Steve,

It's really good to see you. I'm so sorry to hear that things have not been travelling along as smoothly as possible for you and your family. I'm also very sorry to hear about your loss.

Like a few of us on the forum, I've discovered, over the last few years, that getting older has a price tag attached to it. Still, if that's what it costs to sit on Earth just a little bit longer, I'll pay smile

This composition of yours is stunning, really stunning.

The beauty of the music rolls along like a warm gentle breeze on a pleasant summer's day. Everything about this had me captivated from beginning to end. Your piano melody is really enchanting. Your choice of notes and the harmonising of them made for a wonderful journey in sound. And then there was the orchestra...

Your ability to orchestrate is up there with the best in the forum. I've said this many times over the years. Since your scores never diminish in quality, though, it's always worth saying again! I greatly admire your talent and the way you consistently manage to find exactly the right sound and combination of sounds to provide the best musical excursion possible.

As I said earlier... stunning, really stunning.

All the best,
Noel

Noel, it is always so good to hear from you, my friend! Your comments are always so thoughtful, encouraging and uplifting. Music to my ears! smile So appreciate your kind words.

Originally Posted By: lambada
Steve

A beautiful composition and fabulous production. I'm very sorry to hear you're going through a bad patch health wise and family wise. I hope composing these beautiful tunes brings you some solace at this time.

Neil

Neil, thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate your thoughts of concern. God definitely uses music to strengthen me. Once again, thanks!

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a beautiful tune, Steve smile Sorry to hear about your health. At least it doesn't seem to have stopped you from making great music. The composition on this is truly stunning

Thanks so much for sharing - and from all of us at PG Music we hope the best for your health smile

Thank you very much, Deryk! Glad you like this one. I also truly appreciate your comments of encouragement about my health. PG Music has had a greater impact on me and my music than I know how to express. Great product, great staff!

===

Steve

#433656 - 10/15/17 09:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Steve your work is always original and outstanding.
Very emotional and delicate.
Wonderful to listen to.
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Well done. Rob

#433684 - 10/16/17 06:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
You have so much to say musically

this is beautiful, emotional, touchingly expressive

you are such an asset to this group

thank you for sharing

Kenny

#433726 - 10/16/17 10:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Steve,

You never fail to impress me. That streak continues.

This is gorgeous - in all regards.

I wish you strength in all things.

Thanks for all you share with us.

floyd

#433762 - 10/16/17 03:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Steve,

You never fail to impress me. That streak continues.

This is gorgeous - in all regards.

I wish you strength in all things.

Thanks for all you share with us.

floyd

Not only is Floyd a great songwriter. He is a master of the written word. I could not say it better. This is just beautiful!! Should be a movie score. I have some plugins and fool around with MIDI at times but cannot make anything that sounds like this. WONDERFUL!! Wishing you well. Take care. Greg

#433824 - 10/16/17 10:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Steve, so so sorry to hear about your problems recently. More often than not, when we're sad we compose the best music and THIS is one of the loveliest pieces of music I've ever heard on here. It would make fantastic incidental music for a movie or a series like the game of thrones.
You should submit this piece to Classic FM here in the UK for airplay they would play it for sure.

#433858 - 10/17/17 12:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Steve

Great orchestration!
I was deeply moved by your splendid score.
The melody is also very beautiful.
All the instruments are very well chosen and combined.
I think you really well studied the orchestral arrangement.
The skills of piano and guitar are also wonderful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#433954 - 10/17/17 01:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Steve !

Please accept my deepest condolences !
There is only the one road we must
go and time is the only healer !!
Hope you are allright ?

Wonderful music, could go
stright into a movie !!!!

Cheers
Dani

Edited by dani48 (10/17/17 01:08 PM)

#434054 - 10/18/17 09:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: RnAM]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: guitar1
Steve
Sometimes words are not relevant. This composition is amazing. I could listen to it for hours. I am trying to put a little more of myself into my recordings, as well. I have problems recording bass as well. I don't play bass as often as I should, so my delivery has suffered for it. I haven't fired up my keyboards in months, so it is going to be a long process. I will say that the quality of your piano doesn't seem to be suffering. You play beautifully. Sorry you are having problems with your health. I wish you well, and pray for better days ahead.

Thanks, Gary! So glad you like this one. I say it's time to fire up your keyboards and practice that bass! smile I look forward to hearing more of your stuff! Thanks again for your kind words.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Steve,

This is simply beautiful! What a marvelous piece of music. You made that $80.00 Ibanez sound like a million bucks.

The arrangement and tracks are splendid. I'd love to be able to do something like this. Don't think I'm that talented.

Sorry to hear about the family loss. And those health issues are always a matter of concern. I'm glad to hear the issues aren't as bad as could be. I know your frustration as I have Focal Dystonia, which has significantly hampered my guitar playing. I'm using BIAB guitar tracks on many of my compositions now. Aldo, the chemo left my left left hand fairly numb. Hang in there and keep doing what you can while you can. And Di is so weak now she can barely walk from the bedroom to the kitchen. But, we keep at it as much as possible. Good to see you are doing the same.

Wishing you the very best and, once again, a beautiful piece of music.

Alan

Thanks so much, Alan. Really appreciate your generous comments! I pray for you and Di, that you will both be strengthened and encouraged. You are a blessing to this forum. Always enjoy hearing from you.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Steve,

We are very sorry to hear about your loss and the problems with your hand.
But wow... this really is gorgeous!
One small nit, we missed your beautiful voice wink

Rob and Anne-Marie

Rob and Anne-Marie, it is always so good to hear from you! Glad you enjoyed this one. It has been allergy season in this part of Texas lately, and my voice has been just a little "scratchy". But I plan on recording some vocals real soon. Thanks again for your very kind words!

====

Steve

#434307 - 10/19/17 06:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: 44kfl]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Very nice Steve! Beautiful work that puts one in a very contemplative, reflective state of mind! Sorry to hear about your loss and best wishes for your health! It's amazing how sometimes the inexpensive instruments that we take for granted can make the best music! Your sound here is very good!! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks, Torrey! Always good to hear from you. Glad you like this. Thanks for your kind words!

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Steve your work is always original and outstanding.
Very emotional and delicate.
Wonderful to listen to.
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Well done. Rob

Rob, I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for dropping in on this one!

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
You have so much to say musically

this is beautiful, emotional, touchingly expressive

you are such an asset to this group

thank you for sharing

Kenny

Thanks so much, Kenny. Your kind words are very appreciated!

====

Steve

#434356 - 10/20/17 08:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Beautiful song Stephen. Sorry for your loss. Music has a wonderful way of making sad times a little bit better.

#434375 - 10/20/17 10:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Reflections Of Hope [Re: Steve Young]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi steve sorry to hear about your lost and heath problems steve i enjoy your contributions very much this one is stunning a beautiful presence in this peace hope and peace thanks for sharing eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Listen to the Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio Today!

You may know about our User Showcase Forum, but have you heard about our Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio?

What a great way to listen to all of the Band-in-a-Box® creations from program users just-like-you! It's as easy as choosing a playlist and pressing play!

Click here to access our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, and don't forget to bookmark your new favorite page!

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Make sure to check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows review from Sound-Guy (Dennis) at www.gearslutz.com: click here.

Sound-Guy has been using Band-in-a-Box® for many, many, many, many, many years - and we still managed to surprise him with some great new features! Read his latest review to learn more about his favorite additions for 2020!

"Band-in-a-Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical “talent”. It also provides educational and training tools for keyboardists and guitarists. It’s easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. BIAB provides education, inspiration, a “live” band to aid in practicing, and anything from backing tracks to full performances for recording."
-Sound-Guy, www.gearslutz.com

How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32624 Members
68 Forums
65561 Topics
555919 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
supervanille, Kinney Jeff, Pacus, Tocopixel, pjn

32623 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 149