Options
Index
#436269 - 11/02/17 02:46 AM [User Showcase] Any Other Day - Film Music
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Any Other Day

I wrote this just for the heck of it - not for any particular opportunity or reason other than I wanted to. Although I've written quite a few, I hadn't written a piece of film music in quite some time. It features trumpet and jazzy-bluesy piano taking the lead. My biggest concern is if the strings are too loud - I tend to do that sometimes.

The piano solo and intro is a BIAB midi track. This is the best I've ever got a midi acoustic piano to sound. I was very happy with that.

The trumpet is very temperamental! I tried to even out the volume fluctuations with compression and track adjustments, but never got it as smooth and even as I wanted. I tried a third compression on it but that took away too much of the trumpets character. So I left it alone after track adjustments (lowering and raising the trumpet volume in various individual bars) and 2 mild compressions.

Thanks in advance for any listens and comments. Wishing everyone well.

Alan

File:Any Other Day.MGU
Key=Eb , Tempo 89, Length (m:s)=4:40
4 bar intro, 32 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 36. Repeat x3 choruses
Melody has 988 notes, Melody harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Soloist track has 715 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is C_CLOUDS.STY (Clouds - Top 40 Country R&B)

Style MIDI Instruments are : Fretless Elec. Bass (36), Slow Strings (50),
RealTracks in song: ~~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1409:Piano, SynthLayer, Rhythm Soul70sSteady Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: ~~1069:Trumpet, Soloist SmoothJazzCool Sw16 100 (Bluesy)
MIDI Drums :41 Brushes Kit (41)

RealDrums substituted :NashvilleEven16^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Edited by Al-David (11/02/17 02:49 AM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#436284 - 11/02/17 06:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Great job on this, Alan! I really, really enjoyed this. It sounds wonderfully cinematic, and it wouldn't sound out of place at all as part of a movie soundtrack. I love the sound of the trumpet in this tune. The whole song has a cloud of eerie-ness hanging over it, but it still got stuck in my head.

Thanks so much for sharing smile

#436291 - 11/02/17 07:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Thanks, Deryk,

Glad you enjoyed it. And yes, there's an edge of eeriness - by design! Thanks again. Best to you and your colleagues at PG Music.

Alan.

#436296 - 11/02/17 08:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool piece of music. Trumpet was excellent. Love this instrument. My brother played the trumpet when we kids. Loved it when he was practicing. Just filled the house with the coolest sound. Song brought back some very dear memories. Thanks for that....Well done

#436298 - 11/02/17 08:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

For all the fiddling you did with your trumpet, I think it came out sounding absolutely lovely! And I don't think the strings sound too loud at all. Altogether I think this is quite the successful song!

Thanks for sharing! <3

#436328 - 11/02/17 02:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Online   content
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Excellent song. Super real tracks in it.
Great trumpet. Very enjoyable.

Sergio

Sergio

#436340 - 11/02/17 03:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Scott C]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool piece of music. Trumpet was excellent. Love this instrument. My brother played the trumpet when we kids. Loved it when he was practicing. Just filled the house with the coolest sound. Song brought back some very dear memories. Thanks for that....Well done

Thanks so much, Scott. It's always such a nice compliment when someone tells you your music brings back nice memories. I'm delighted I was able to do that. Wishing you the very best.

Alan

#436341 - 11/02/17 03:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
For all the fiddling you did with your trumpet, I think it came out sounding absolutely lovely! And I don't think the strings sound too loud at all. Altogether I think this is quite the successful song!

Thanks for sharing! <3

Hi Ember!

Always a delight to hear from you. Of I fiddle around with my trumpet, does that mean I can also trumpet around with my fiddle? Just wonderin'!

Thank you for the time to listen and your wonderful comments. I appreciate both very much. Wishing you and the entire PG Music staff the very best.

Alan

#436342 - 11/02/17 03:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Sergio Guarneri]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Excellent song. Super real tracks in it.
Great trumpet. Very enjoyable.

Sergio

Hi Sergio. Thank you very much for your very nice comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the song! Best to yoi.

Alan

#436343 - 11/02/17 03:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: Al-David

Hi Ember!

Always a delight to hear from you. Of I fiddle around with my trumpet, does that mean I can also trumpet around with my fiddle? Just wonderin'!

Thank you for the time to listen and your wonderful comments. I appreciate both very much. Wishing you and the entire PG Music staff the very best.

Alan

I had wondered if you would catch my pun! grin Really excited for your next one!

#436351 - 11/02/17 04:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Al,
I enjoyed this - it has the space for your film music purpose and the balance sounds good.
Best of luck with getting your music picked up!

Robert

#436381 - 11/03/17 01:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Brandow Offline

I completely agree with Deryk, it sounds really cinematic. But that was the point I guess. Thanks for sharing Alan.

#436382 - 11/03/17 02:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Originally Posted By: Al-David

Hi Ember!

Alan

I had wondered if you would catch my pun! grin Really excited for your next one!

Ember ... I also write novels and have a series that's in the humor genre ...I always look for little things like that! smile smile smile

#436383 - 11/03/17 02:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Robertkc]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,
I enjoyed this - it has the space for your film music purpose and the balance sounds good.
Best of luck with getting your music picked up!

Robert

Thanks so much. I appreciate the nice comments and good wishes. Wishing you the very best,

Alan

Edited by Al-David (11/04/17 07:34 AM)

#436384 - 11/03/17 02:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Brandow]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Brandow
I completely agree with Deryk, it sounds really cinematic. But that was the point I guess. Thanks for sharing Alan.

hello,

First,welcome to the PG Music Showcase Forum. There are many fine and talented people here.Hope you enjoy your time listening to their great creations as I have. Also, it's good to get constructive feedback from other forum members.

I appreciate you very nice comments and encouragement. And yes, i wrote this specifically with the intent of creating a film soundtrack piece. I write in many genres and Film/TV is one of my favorites.

Again, welcome and many thanks. Wishing you well. It's always a little special to be the recipient of a new member's first post!

Alan

#436394 - 11/03/17 03:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yeah! Nice one, Alan, you set a great mood with this piece. Trumpet is the cats meow! Strings sound perfect to me in the mix, but I'm no expert when it comes to strings.

Man, that midi piano sounds great! Which VSTi are you using on that?

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#436396 - 11/03/17 04:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: BlueAttitude]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah! Nice one, Alan, you set a great mood with this piece. Trumpet is the cats meow! Strings sound perfect to me in the mix, but I'm no expert when it comes to strings.

Man, that midi piano sounds great! Which VSTi are you using on that?

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for the listen and those great comments - they put a smile on my face! I'm happy you enjoyed your listen. I didn't have to mess with the trumpet track too much - it fell into place pretty quickly, other than the significant volume fluctuations. That was quite a chore!

The midi piano is an indigenous BIAB track, as follows -Instrument: 1 Piano. I worked it over in Audacity for quite some time but was happy with the results. I EQ'ed with emphasis on the middle high range, dropped the lower EQ a slight amount and added some plate reverb. It took me multiple attempts to get the right mix of those things.but, I think it was worth the time and effort.

Again, many thanks for kudos! Best to you,

Alan

#436427 - 11/03/17 09:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Nice job,

very relaxing and smooth sound

love that piano sound, nice tickling gain' on

I find that I have to "ride" volumes on many guitar parts

you da the man!

Kenny

#436458 - 11/03/17 03:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Can hear how hard you worked on this.
Midi is always a challenge to get it sounding right.
However you succeeded with very well with this work.
Could see this in a movie.
Rob

#436519 - 11/04/17 05:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Other Day - Film Music [Re: Al-David]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Alan.

Been missing over the summer, but back now and it's great to listen to the showcase again.

Well, this would be worth the listen just for that piano solo. I can see why you're pleased with the sound, but on top of that I just loved the blues timing. Anyone who's ever tried to play off-the-grid timing like that will realise what an art it is. It's similar to Albert Collins on guitar.

But the piano is just part of it. The trumpet is inspired and the whole atmospheric feel is pure cinema. Personally, I couldn't fault the mix.

Loved it.

ROG.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28456 Members
58 Forums
55306 Topics
460782 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
nobby, jeM, Masaladosa, jonny1, rikkyj

28455 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 377
Pipeline 343