Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#469081 - 04/25/18 05:32 AM [User Showcase] Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Lady In The Fedora

Dunno what genre this little ditty fits - Americana (folk rock) I guess. I took the SC photo of Janice last fall and it recently inspired the write as she does love her fedora! Hey, even Bud can write an upbeat love lyric every now and then smile Tom (tommyad) contributed a very cool guitar lead that really elevated the tune and seemed to fit the vibe so well (as I recall he capoed at the 12th fret to get that sound).

Janice: vocals (lead, lead doubled on bridge and two harmony tracks) Rodes NT1 > Scarlett interface > Logic Pro X / Nectar 2

Tom: lead guitar / whatever the man does

Bud: production, engineering, mix and photo of Janice

RTs/RDs and effects:

RT 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120 / Waves Bass Rider / Neutron 2

RT 2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120 / Neutron 2

RT 1681:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 12 / Neutron 2, Ozone 8 Imager / EMT 140 Reverb sim

RealDrums: NashvilleEven8 (snare doubled and additional cymbals added) / Neutron 2 / Waves CLA Drums / EMT 140 Reverb sim

Mastering: Ozone 8 and Ozone Tonal Balance

Thanks to Tom and floyd for mix counsel.

V1
lost in thought driving into the evening sun
It been a long day, he was about half past done.
he pulled off the highway for gas and a meal
a live music sign hung in front of a local grill

V2
she was perched on a barstool looking so serene
singing with heart and soul, the room was cheering
She was playing cool licks/riffs on a fine old Martin
but she had something special that got his attention

Chorus
she smiled at him beneath the brim of her hat
lord he had never seen anything quite like that
he couldn’t quit staring at the lady in the fedora
oh that lady in the fedora how he adored her

Bridge
years have past since that night
but he never forgot his first sight
Oh the day he drove down to Georgia
he still adores her his wife in the fedora

Chorus
J&B Website

#469092 - 04/25/18 06:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

One of my favorites from you two, I heard it a while back, and have listened a couple of times since.

Janice is her usual awesome self with that tone and phrasing smile

And Tom had me right from the start with that super cool intro.

Love the mix on this, especially the drums, those Toms sound awesome! I have a few of those CLA plugins, I don't however have CLA drums. Will need to pick that one up the next time it goes on sale for $29!

Thanks also for the additional mix details, never thought about putting an imager on an individual track before but I'll give it a try soon. You mentioned Ozone reverb, I didn't know they had a reverb module?

Excellent track, listened a few times and will listen again.

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#469098 - 04/25/18 06:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
One of my favorites from you two, I heard it a while back, and have listened a couple of times since.

Janice is her usual awesome self with that tone and phrasing smile

And Tom had me right from the start with that super cool intro.

Love the mix on this, especially the drums, those Toms sound awesome! I have a few of those CLA plugins, I don't however have CLA drums. Will need to pick that one up the next time it goes on sale for $29!

Thanks also for the additional mix details, never thought about putting an imager on an individual track before but I'll give it a try soon. You mentioned Ozone reverb, I didn't know they had a reverb module?

Excellent track, listened a few times and will listen again.

My bad Dave. I meant to say Izotope reverb. I used the Izotope Nectar 2 reverb module for all my reverb. It's a sim of the old EMT 140 unit. I'll edit the post. Good call!

I'm glad you like the drums. Tom told me about the CLA Drums and I grabbed it cheap.

I've found the Imager to sound good at times when I have a track panned near to the center. I convert all stereo RTs to mono before mixing except for keyboards and drums - pretending that I know what I'm doing smile It's always seemed odd to me to pan a stereo track. I leave keyboards very near center...something I learned from fj.

Thanks for everything you said. We appreciate it!

J&B

Edited by Janice & Bud (04/25/18 06:33 AM)
J&B Website

#469106 - 04/25/18 07:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow - this is fantastic! Where this really got me was the vocal performance. Those harmonies are absolutely flawless. And when the chorus came in - boom, I was sold. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio. A++ on this one!

You really should be proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing smile

#469131 - 04/25/18 09:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Nice love song y'all. I knew you had it in your Bud!!

Great guitar sound too Tom. Excellent vocals as always Janice.

Are you sure that was capoed at the 12th fret? That wpould be craY high. Didn't sound like it. I guess I will have to listen again.

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#469139 - 04/25/18 09:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

I'm glad you like the drums. Tom told me about the CLA Drums and I grabbed it cheap.

J&B

Man, adds on facebook are getting *way* too smart! Scary actually.

I mentioned CLA drums in my review, then just now when I go to facebook there is an add from waves for CLA Drums. And, it's still on sale for $29, so I bought it.

Thanks for the tip!

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#469142 - 04/25/18 09:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
J&B, Thanks for letting me take part in this great write, performance and production. I had a blast! Yes David, that's the Tele capoed at the twelfth fret and fingerpicked. Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone about the guitar part, Tom

#469152 - 04/25/18 10:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Hey guys, this is a great track. Love the super guitar work and the 'Linda Ronstadt' vocal delivery.
Beautifully engineered and produced. Thanks for the listen!

John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#469244 - 04/25/18 02:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hi Guys. You are always posting some thing memorable and this is no exception.
Great vocal, production and performance. Rob

#469251 - 04/25/18 03:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janice Tom & Bud

Like Dave I heard this a little while ago and playing it again is like hearing an old familiar favourite.
Lovely guitar work - not easy playing with a capo at the 12th fret - great mix and sound, strong lyrics and of course a beautiful vocal with some lovely harmonies.

Another top notch composition.

Peter

Edited by PeterF (04/25/18 03:48 PM)

#469259 - 04/25/18 03:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
This was a really awesome collab you guys. I really enjoyed this one! And I feel the genre fits as well.

Thanks for sharing!

#469263 - 04/25/18 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Janice, Bud & Tom,

I love this... The sound and overall feeling are great. It's fresh, and as always Janice has full emotional control of where the song is going.

Perfect write, mix and delivery - absolutely pro all the way!

Bob

#469264 - 04/25/18 04:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

J&B,
What the listeners above said... and I like the softness at the centre of the story. A happy ending with ringing guitars ( great work, Tom!) and standout vocals, of course.
A little of the Byrds, with all the goodness of Janice & Bud.
Excellent work.

Robert

#469277 - 04/25/18 04:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - this is fantastic! Where this really got me was the vocal performance. Those harmonies are absolutely flawless. And when the chorus came in - boom, I was sold. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio. A++ on this one!

You really should be proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk. This one was fun from start to finish. Thanks for mentioning the harmony. They are two tracks by Janice with slightly different amounts of reverb and delay.

Glad you liked it!

J&B
J&B Website

#469336 - 04/25/18 09:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Heartwarming write, well sung, solid mix. Subtle harmonies. The kick certainly comes through on the headphones!

As usual, nicely done!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#469414 - 04/26/18 08:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: Midwest
I always have high expectations when I see you post a song. Yet, they are never high enough.

To me, it's catchy, has a cool feel to it, produced really well, and has really nice instrumentation all the way around. I like that drum sound, too. smile

Do I also need to mention that the guitar and vocals are great? Ice is cold...as long as we are mentioning things that are REALLY obvious.

Great job all!

Edited by HearToLearn (04/26/18 08:39 AM)

#469431 - 04/26/18 09:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: David Snyder]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Nice love song y'all. I knew you had it in your Bud!!

Great guitar sound too Tom. Excellent vocals as always Janice.

Are you sure that was capoed at the 12th fret? That wpould be craY high. Didn't sound like it. I guess I will have to listen again.

smile

Thanks David. Yep that’s what the man did - on his tele.

J&B
J&B Website

#469528 - 04/26/18 06:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Skyline]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Hey guys, this is a great track. Love the super guitar work and the 'Linda Ronstadt' vocal delivery.
Beautifully engineered and produced. Thanks for the listen!

John

Thanks John and, wow, did you ever make Janice’s day mentioning Linda Ronstadt!

J&B
J&B Website

#469556 - 04/26/18 11:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Online   content
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Janice & Bud, Tom

Really wonderful collaboration!
Tom's guitar work is great.
And it is surprising twice that it is the Tele capoed at the twelfth fret and fingerpicked.
As John said, I also love the 'Linda Ronstadt' vocal delivery.
Beautifully engineered and produced.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#469560 - 04/27/18 01:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
B&J + Tom,
EXCELLENT stuff.
The vocal is just the San Francisco side of country - the Tom guitar is very cool.
My only suggestion would be to take the 12 string guitar track and hammer it with a good compressor & add a little top end to bring out some chime - it'd be Byrdsian then. Alternately add a strummed 12 string with the same compressor/EQ treatment to get chime happening - that'll go well with Tom's work.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28455 Members
58 Forums
55292 Topics
460662 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Masaladosa, jonny1, rikkyj, tbeach, Andrew DeGaust

28455 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 368
Pipeline 342