Options
Index
#469966 - 04/28/18 01:58 PM [User Showcase] Another "Vietnam Song"
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

I never dreamed I would post this song.
I've never even considered recording it.
After clifton and David broached the subject in their songs, I went and dug this up.

This is a snapshot of a specific time in our history.
And the reactions and feelings from certain segments of America.
It tells the story of a "conflicted" veteran.
And how he (and others like him) were treated by a small (or maybe less than small), but very vocal group of the Americans he had gone to war for.

This sentiment, fortunately, no longer seems to exists.
But it ripped the fabric of America at the time.

We have healed.
The Wall commemorates those who gave their lives for the ideals of America.
Those who returned no longer face the anger and ridicule that some chose to greet them with at the time.
That should give us all hope for the future.

Again, keep in mind this was written in 1975. (I was 20).
A snapshot in time.

UNPOPULAR HERO

i was raised in the bible belt
by mom and apple pie
all my life i pledged allegiance
while the stars and stipes would fly
and when my notice came the canadian border
never crossed my mind
like my grampa, my dad and my uncles
i was proud to serve my time

unpopular hero in an unpopular war
   i was still a virgin
   she stood leaning in the door
   she just wants her pay
   she don't want my love
   she just want her pay

i read the history they wrote
i saw the movies they made
audey murphy, john wayne and my dad came home
to ticker tape parades
but when we came home
no one looked us in the eye
we didn't want to talk of it
but no one asked us why

we were all just virgins
   she stood leaning in the door
   she just wants her pay
   she don't want my love
   she just want her pay

i've got pictures you don't want to see
swirling through my head
every day i fight to forget
my fight is all but dead
go ahead, ignore us
maybe we'll go away
will anyone mention vietnam
come memorial day

sixty thousand virgins
   please no more
   it's too much to pay
   it's too much to pay

The BAND:
Style is _LAMENT.STY (Lament Modern Pop Country Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 1825:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveHeld Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 1537:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveArp Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 1037:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 3056:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16thsSyncBrent Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealDrums in style: ModernPopBallad16ths^01-a:Quiet hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick

floyd

#469970 - 04/28/18 02:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Me love this long time.

#469984 - 04/28/18 03:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Floyd,

A tremendous song... Outstanding and heavy write for a twenty year old. Very cool to hear you perform this now - I love the way it sounds like you are looking back.

I also love the mix and the way the rhythm guitars bubble underneath the track.

Headed back for my third listen...

Bob

#469990 - 04/28/18 03:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
beatmaster Offline
Journeyman

Spot on Floyd that's the way you do it.

Did you use realtracks or loops or are you playing the guitar ?.

I would love to hear the original even if recording standards were not as advanced (a wee tape recording maybe) WHY..?, I love all that stuff, vinyl,tape, my passion.

#469993 - 04/28/18 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Great song about a very sad time in our history. I lost seven friends in that war.

As usual your mix, vocals and lyrics are top notch.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#470012 - 04/28/18 04:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: Midwest
No words. In all the best ways. I can't even imagine aside from glimpses like this. Thanks for giving some insight.

And..

Thank you to everyone who has served. I NEVER take that lightly.

This song will haunt me for a bit.

#470024 - 04/28/18 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Alabama
cliftond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alabama
No it;s not another Vienmam war song, it is an outstanding Vietnam war, era song. This just brings to life that period that is so remarkable in all of it's glory and horror. THis is down to earth, from someone who was in the time period. Love it Floyd.

#470032 - 04/28/18 05:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
floyd,

This is very, very powerful! I'm glad you pulled it out, dusted it off and unleashed BIAB. I love that ending and the ending chord. It really left me hanging in the air thinking about all you'd sung. As I'm sitting here typing this, the song and its images are still bright in my mind.

I thought it was excellent the way that you used the chorus as a kind of parallel narrative. For me, the verses were a glimpse into the mind, heart and soul of the unpopular hero and the choruses (complete with their own independent development) were a glimpse of the 'other side of the coin'. 'Heartbreaking' is a word that just sprang into my head. Your story-telling and commentary unfolded like a movie for me. First person narrative was an ideal choice of perspective.

Everything about this sits perfectly in my headphones. The acoustic guitar beginning was terrific and its sound was first class. Then as the rest of the band started joining in and building a wall of sound with musical precision and intent, I found myself getting pulled into the music and the lyrics more as a participant than a listener. I think that's why the starkness of the ending was so powerful for me. It was like I was there, a part of the history.

This song resonated with me in so many ways!

All the best,
Noel

#470083 - 04/29/18 03:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Man, what a song! On my second listen as I type this.

Just a tremendous write! And the fact you did it when you were only 20 ... pretty deep stuff.

Love the production on this too, the way you start with just the acoustic and then slowly build intensity by adding in the additional instruments with the drums not coming in until the last chorus, and then that last hanging chord ....

I'm glad you decided to post this, it's an song that should be heard.

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#470085 - 04/29/18 04:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
FJ,
You ACED IT.
In Australia we has a "hit single" in about 84 which essayed some of the things you covered. We were at a stage where we could talk about Vietnam by then - ignore the evil politics of the war and focus on the human story. If you get a chance to look up I Was Only 19 (a walk in the light green) by Redgum you may like it. Is has a different impact to your song but different is always good. Your song has incredible impact and is sung/performed perfectly for the topic, time and purpose. Well done.
I Was only 19 - Redgum
Oh, it was a hit again a couple of years ago - but as a cover by a hip hop band - odd but that's OK.
A mate & I wrote our own - but from the perspective of observing the evacuation...
It doesn't have the impact of yours and, as is usual for me, has too many words and not enough emotion - YOU get the balance right.
Solong Shuffle - Pygmy Beat

Edited by rayc (04/29/18 04:44 AM)
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

#470086 - 04/29/18 04:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: San Jose, CA
Marty Sorensen Offline
Apprentice

Loc: San Jose, CA
Yes, the final chord, because it ends like Vietnam, just going on, the final chord still there when it 's only a phantom. I still remember the face of the guy who said, they killed my brother, so I'm going over there.

#470092 - 04/29/18 05:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

floyd, The sound you get is always crisp, clean and well balanced. Good choice of instruments and you skillfully added them as the build progressed. The write was advanced considering your age at the time. It shows that you were not immune to the collective feeling at the time of loss of innocence. Your chorus brings that across with some stark images. I was in my teens and twenties at that time and looking back I can say with certainty that the war affected every single person that I knew in one way or another. You have left no doubt that it affected you. Beautifully done, Tom

#470112 - 04/29/18 08:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: West coast
chulaivet1966 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: West coast
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I never dreamed I would post this song.
I've never even considered recording it.
This is a snapshot of a specific time in our history.
And the reactions and feelings from certain segments of America.
It tells the story of a "conflicted" veteran.

Per our previous PM conversation I'll echo all other comments.
One gains many new perspectives when one experiences the true face of war, the brutality of it all and coming to grips of what's expected of you when faced with the challenging circumstances every day.
One can't unsee any of the images or reconcile many of the experiences at such a young age.

But, no complaints here....that's life.
Carry on.....back to topic.

Edited by chulaivet1966 (04/29/18 08:48 AM)
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?78446-chulaivet1966

#470160 - 04/29/18 01:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: rsdean]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Me love this long time.

eddie - means a lot that you accept and like this... thanks...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

A tremendous song... Outstanding and heavy write for a twenty year old. Very cool to hear you perform this now - I love the way it sounds like you are looking back.

I also love the mix and the way the rhythm guitars bubble underneath the track.

Headed back for my third listen...

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I had a tendency to write a number of "heavy" things in those days. Listening to too much Prine...

#470203 - 04/29/18 03:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Floyd,

Very powerful write and great production.Love the ending.
Bringing this from your back pages seems very appropriate to me... just watched the Ken Burns doc- this song would fit there and lose nothing to all the anthems of the day.

Robert

#470207 - 04/29/18 03:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
floyd

Excellent writing from a 20 year old (or anyone else for that matter).
Great arrangement to go with the lyrics.

Going back for another listen.

Peter

p.s along with the song Ray mentioned another Australian song referencing this issue was Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel.
Khe Sanh

#470246 - 04/29/18 06:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Love this song Floyd. Was a very different time back then. Excellent vocal and back track. Your lyrics were powerful. As always you put together a polished professional level song. Thanks for sharing...

#470294 - 04/30/18 06:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: MarioD]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Spot on Floyd that's the way you do it.

Did you use realtracks or loops or are you playing the guitar ?.

I would love to hear the original even if recording standards were not as advanced (a wee tape recording maybe) WHY..?, I love all that stuff, vinyl,tape, my passion.

Thanks, beatmaster. The tracks are all RealTracks. No loops, no additional guitars (though I use both on occasion).

IF I have a tape of this it would be 40 years old - and is buried in a box somewhere. I have a certain number of old lyrics that continue to get copied over to my latest computer (though I don't change that often, either). That is where I found this lyric to re-visit...

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Great song about a very sad time in our history. I lost seven friends in that war.

As usual your mix, vocals and lyrics are top notch.

Thanks for listening, Mario. Sorry for your loss...

#470370 - 04/30/18 01:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: HearToLearn]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
No words. In all the best ways. I can't even imagine aside from glimpses like this. Thanks for giving some insight.

And..

Thank you to everyone who has served. I NEVER take that lightly.

This song will haunt me for a bit.

Caaron - Thanks for that. Indeed, we should all thank those who served...

#470529 - 05/01/18 07:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Miami, Florida
Planobilly Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Miami, Florida
Well, for me, I get it. Three years in Viet Nam back to back.

Thanks for posting this song. Even all these years later, a song like this brings back the reality of that time and place.

Songwriting and music is an effective time machine.

Some really unpleasant stuff happens in any war but the Viet Nam war still rages on in the minds of quite a few of us who are still alive to remember.

There are no winners in war, only survivors.

Thanks again,

Billy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

Forum Stats
28434 Members
58 Forums
55243 Topics
460089 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Coskun, sbroach, GEORGES SCHIRO, Yellowkey, Hagglui78

28434 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 360
Pipeline 329