Options
Index
#469966 - 04/28/18 01:58 PM [User Showcase] Another "Vietnam Song"
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

I never dreamed I would post this song.
I've never even considered recording it.
After clifton and David broached the subject in their songs, I went and dug this up.

This is a snapshot of a specific time in our history.
And the reactions and feelings from certain segments of America.
It tells the story of a "conflicted" veteran.
And how he (and others like him) were treated by a small (or maybe less than small), but very vocal group of the Americans he had gone to war for.

This sentiment, fortunately, no longer seems to exists.
But it ripped the fabric of America at the time.

We have healed.
The Wall commemorates those who gave their lives for the ideals of America.
Those who returned no longer face the anger and ridicule that some chose to greet them with at the time.
That should give us all hope for the future.

Again, keep in mind this was written in 1975. (I was 20).
A snapshot in time.

UNPOPULAR HERO

i was raised in the bible belt
by mom and apple pie
all my life i pledged allegiance
while the stars and stipes would fly
and when my notice came the canadian border
never crossed my mind
like my grampa, my dad and my uncles
i was proud to serve my time

unpopular hero in an unpopular war
   i was still a virgin
   she stood leaning in the door
   she just wants her pay
   she don't want my love
   she just want her pay

i read the history they wrote
i saw the movies they made
audey murphy, john wayne and my dad came home
to ticker tape parades
but when we came home
no one looked us in the eye
we didn't want to talk of it
but no one asked us why

we were all just virgins
   she stood leaning in the door
   she just wants her pay
   she don't want my love
   she just want her pay

i've got pictures you don't want to see
swirling through my head
every day i fight to forget
my fight is all but dead
go ahead, ignore us
maybe we'll go away
will anyone mention vietnam
come memorial day

sixty thousand virgins
   please no more
   it's too much to pay
   it's too much to pay

The BAND:
Style is _LAMENT.STY (Lament Modern Pop Country Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 1825:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveHeld Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 1537:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveArp Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 1037:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 3056:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16thsSyncBrent Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealDrums in style: ModernPopBallad16ths^01-a:Quiet hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick

floyd

#469970 - 04/28/18 02:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Akron, Oh
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Akron, Oh
Me love this long time.

#469984 - 04/28/18 03:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Floyd,

A tremendous song... Outstanding and heavy write for a twenty year old. Very cool to hear you perform this now - I love the way it sounds like you are looking back.

I also love the mix and the way the rhythm guitars bubble underneath the track.

Headed back for my third listen...

Bob

#469990 - 04/28/18 03:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
beatmaster Online   happy
Expert

Spot on Floyd that's the way you do it.

Did you use realtracks or loops or are you playing the guitar ?.

I would love to hear the original even if recording standards were not as advanced (a wee tape recording maybe) WHY..?, I love all that stuff, vinyl,tape, my passion.

#469993 - 04/28/18 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Great song about a very sad time in our history. I lost seven friends in that war.

As usual your mix, vocals and lyrics are top notch.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#470012 - 04/28/18 04:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: Midwest
No words. In all the best ways. I can't even imagine aside from glimpses like this. Thanks for giving some insight.

And..

Thank you to everyone who has served. I NEVER take that lightly.

This song will haunt me for a bit.
(Author Known)

#470024 - 04/28/18 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Alabama
cliftond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alabama
No it;s not another Vienmam war song, it is an outstanding Vietnam war, era song. This just brings to life that period that is so remarkable in all of it's glory and horror. THis is down to earth, from someone who was in the time period. Love it Floyd.

#470032 - 04/28/18 05:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
floyd,

This is very, very powerful! I'm glad you pulled it out, dusted it off and unleashed BIAB. I love that ending and the ending chord. It really left me hanging in the air thinking about all you'd sung. As I'm sitting here typing this, the song and its images are still bright in my mind.

I thought it was excellent the way that you used the chorus as a kind of parallel narrative. For me, the verses were a glimpse into the mind, heart and soul of the unpopular hero and the choruses (complete with their own independent development) were a glimpse of the 'other side of the coin'. 'Heartbreaking' is a word that just sprang into my head. Your story-telling and commentary unfolded like a movie for me. First person narrative was an ideal choice of perspective.

Everything about this sits perfectly in my headphones. The acoustic guitar beginning was terrific and its sound was first class. Then as the rest of the band started joining in and building a wall of sound with musical precision and intent, I found myself getting pulled into the music and the lyrics more as a participant than a listener. I think that's why the starkness of the ending was so powerful for me. It was like I was there, a part of the history.

This song resonated with me in so many ways!

All the best,
Noel

#470083 - 04/29/18 03:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Man, what a song! On my second listen as I type this.

Just a tremendous write! And the fact you did it when you were only 20 ... pretty deep stuff.

Love the production on this too, the way you start with just the acoustic and then slowly build intensity by adding in the additional instruments with the drums not coming in until the last chorus, and then that last hanging chord ....

I'm glad you decided to post this, it's an song that should be heard.

Blue Attitude Website

#470085 - 04/29/18 04:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Expert

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
FJ,
You ACED IT.
In Australia we has a "hit single" in about 84 which essayed some of the things you covered. We were at a stage where we could talk about Vietnam by then - ignore the evil politics of the war and focus on the human story. If you get a chance to look up I Was Only 19 (a walk in the light green) by Redgum you may like it. Is has a different impact to your song but different is always good. Your song has incredible impact and is sung/performed perfectly for the topic, time and purpose. Well done.
I Was only 19 - Redgum
Oh, it was a hit again a couple of years ago - but as a cover by a hip hop band - odd but that's OK.
A mate & I wrote our own - but from the perspective of observing the evacuation...
It doesn't have the impact of yours and, as is usual for me, has too many words and not enough emotion - YOU get the balance right.
Solong Shuffle - Pygmy Beat

Edited by rayc (04/29/18 04:44 AM)
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#470086 - 04/29/18 04:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: San Jose, CA
Marty Sorensen Offline
Apprentice

Loc: San Jose, CA
Yes, the final chord, because it ends like Vietnam, just going on, the final chord still there when it 's only a phantom. I still remember the face of the guy who said, they killed my brother, so I'm going over there.

#470092 - 04/29/18 05:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

floyd, The sound you get is always crisp, clean and well balanced. Good choice of instruments and you skillfully added them as the build progressed. The write was advanced considering your age at the time. It shows that you were not immune to the collective feeling at the time of loss of innocence. Your chorus brings that across with some stark images. I was in my teens and twenties at that time and looking back I can say with certainty that the war affected every single person that I knew in one way or another. You have left no doubt that it affected you. Beautifully done, Tom

#470112 - 04/29/18 08:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: West coast
chulaivet1966 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: West coast
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I never dreamed I would post this song.
I've never even considered recording it.
This is a snapshot of a specific time in our history.
And the reactions and feelings from certain segments of America.
It tells the story of a "conflicted" veteran.

Per our previous PM conversation I'll echo all other comments.
One gains many new perspectives when one experiences the true face of war, the brutality of it all and coming to grips of what's expected of you when faced with the challenging circumstances every day.
One can't unsee any of the images or reconcile many of the experiences at such a young age.

But, no complaints here....that's life.
Carry on.....back to topic.

Edited by chulaivet1966 (04/29/18 08:48 AM)

#470160 - 04/29/18 01:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: rsdean]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Me love this long time.

eddie - means a lot that you accept and like this... thanks...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

A tremendous song... Outstanding and heavy write for a twenty year old. Very cool to hear you perform this now - I love the way it sounds like you are looking back.

I also love the mix and the way the rhythm guitars bubble underneath the track.

Headed back for my third listen...

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I had a tendency to write a number of "heavy" things in those days. Listening to too much Prine...

#470203 - 04/29/18 03:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

Very powerful write and great production.Love the ending.
Bringing this from your back pages seems very appropriate to me... just watched the Ken Burns doc- this song would fit there and lose nothing to all the anthems of the day.

Robert

#470207 - 04/29/18 03:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
floyd

Excellent writing from a 20 year old (or anyone else for that matter).
Great arrangement to go with the lyrics.

Going back for another listen.

Peter

p.s along with the song Ray mentioned another Australian song referencing this issue was Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel.
Khe Sanh

#470246 - 04/29/18 06:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Love this song Floyd. Was a very different time back then. Excellent vocal and back track. Your lyrics were powerful. As always you put together a polished professional level song. Thanks for sharing...

#470294 - 04/30/18 06:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: MarioD]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Spot on Floyd that's the way you do it.

Did you use realtracks or loops or are you playing the guitar ?.

I would love to hear the original even if recording standards were not as advanced (a wee tape recording maybe) WHY..?, I love all that stuff, vinyl,tape, my passion.

Thanks, beatmaster. The tracks are all RealTracks. No loops, no additional guitars (though I use both on occasion).

IF I have a tape of this it would be 40 years old - and is buried in a box somewhere. I have a certain number of old lyrics that continue to get copied over to my latest computer (though I don't change that often, either). That is where I found this lyric to re-visit...

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Great song about a very sad time in our history. I lost seven friends in that war.

As usual your mix, vocals and lyrics are top notch.

Thanks for listening, Mario. Sorry for your loss...

#470370 - 04/30/18 01:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: HearToLearn]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
No words. In all the best ways. I can't even imagine aside from glimpses like this. Thanks for giving some insight.

And..

Thank you to everyone who has served. I NEVER take that lightly.

This song will haunt me for a bit.

Caaron - Thanks for that. Indeed, we should all thank those who served...

#470529 - 05/01/18 07:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Another "Vietnam Song" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Miami, Florida
Planobilly Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Miami, Florida
Well, for me, I get it. Three years in Viet Nam back to back.

Thanks for posting this song. Even all these years later, a song like this brings back the reality of that time and place.

Songwriting and music is an effective time machine.

Some really unpleasant stuff happens in any war but the Viet Nam war still rages on in the minds of quite a few of us who are still alive to remember.

There are no winners in war, only survivors.

Thanks again,

Billy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Congratulations RealTracks Artist Cory Pesaturo!

RealTracks Artist Cory Pesaturo is at it again, adding the following to his awards library (he humbly refers to it as his 'Lifetime Achievement Type of award' - three now!) this past weekend: The Las Vegas International Accordion Convention's Honorary Conductor Award, recognizing his distinguished contribution to Accordion Music, education, and culture through Artistry and Performance - CONGRATULATIONS CORY!

With more than 20 RealTracks available (Sets 268, 292, 293, 306, 312, 313, and 314), you'll definitely find something you like from our RealTracks Artist Cory Pesaturo! Get them for $29 per set, or add them ALL when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile package.

Mac user? Click here.

Get your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Bonus PAK Today!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac during our special (which has been EXTENDED to October 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac® - 49-PAK Overview

Listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Special Extended!

The verdict is in, and everyone agrees that Xtra Styles PAK 7 is incredible!

There are 164 unbelievable new RealStyles that await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some surprising new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

The possibilities seem endless with these fully-produced styles, like atmospheric folk, Western swing chicken pickin', dreamy Southern rock, smooth jazz with world percussion, Brazilian samba, acoustic grunge, and '90s R&B. We've even included two great new MultiStyles that use up to eight substyles! Do yourself a favor and take home this comprehensive and imaginative collection of styles today!

SPECIAL EXTENDED!!! Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until October 31st! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here.

Mac user? You'll find your Xtra Styles PAKs here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 309 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac customers can download the latest FREE patch update here.

Summary of changes for Build 309:
Fixed: The Chord Builder is disabled if previously opened before using a modal dialog (eg. Style Picker, Set Tempo).
Fixed: The program might crash when selecting RealTracks in the Best RealTracks dialog (eg. #2541).
Fixed: Wrong notes in Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.
Improved: Higher dots-per-inch printing.
Added: [Print Chords Only] button added to the Print Options dialog.

EXTENDED! Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Ends October 31st!

You haven't missed our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special, which has been extended to October 31st!

There's still time to purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade at up to 50% off, and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

Plus, our latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 Build 2 Update Available!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 users can download the FREE Build 2 patch update here

Summary of Changes in Build 2:
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.
Fixed: Loading in a MusicXML file could result in MIDI notes of zero instead of the currect MIDI notes.
Fixed: Dragging a file into the tracks window didn't always result in the effects slot for the track being setup properly for the file type dragged in.
Fixed: When inserting hard rest, and answering Yes to question about removing notes for the peg, it would remove notes from both clefs instead of the clef that the rest was inserted on.
Fixed: Potential access violation when deleting a note in staff window.
Fixed: Potential jukebox access violation if there were songs with the entire path of the filename being 256 characters or greater loaded into jukebox.
Fixed: Jukebox not playing the playlist in correct order in certain situations involving stopping/restarting, etc.
Fixed: When loading in a MusicXML file that has a specific guitar fretboard defined that matches one of our fretboards, the guitar tablature type will now be set for the notation.
Fixed: Ability to load in .MXL (compresssed musicXML file) as well as ability to load normal noncompressed musicXML file with the new .musicxml extension instead of just .XML.
Fixed: Hammer ons, pull offs, and slides are now being saved to MusicXML files.
Fixed: Exceptionally jittery timing indicator in the notation window during playback compared to older versions of RealBand.
Fixed: If the start of a generated section of a song didn't have a chord entered at the beginning of the section, then it could default to a C major chord instead of the most recent chord prior to the section.
Fixed: Potential access violation if song has micro-pegs and multiple notes on a peg.
Fixed: Accidental element that specified whether a note was displayed as sharp/flat wasn't eing saved to XML, even though the correct pitch of the note itself was saved.

RealBand 2019 Build 5 Update Available!

All RealBand 2019 for Windows customers can download the latest FREE patch update (build 5) here.

Summary of Changes in Build 5 (Oct 10)
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.

Forum Stats
30255 Members
62 Forums
60278 Topics
508735 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
expertsupremehil, cocktailbars, moneymfd, Joseph Baruch, cie17

30255 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 182
Noel96 150