your favorite alibis
   hiding your intentions
   only makes 'em clearer
   it's what you're made of
   smoke and mirrors

The BAND:

RealTracks in song: 1418:Bass, Electric, SouthernRock Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 380:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 2690 Guitar, Electric, Soloist Slow16thsPopBrentSimple Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 2203:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopPromiseBrent Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 623:Banjo, Background Backporch Ev 098
RealTracks in song: 3020 Vocal Aahs, Background Pop3-part Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: ModernPopBallad16ths^01-a:Quiet hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick

Harmonies: Janice Merritt (Thanks to you both!!)

Comments welcomed and encouraged.
Have at it.

floyd

Edited by floyd jane (06/25/18 01:34 PM)
Edit Reason: Teach is scolding me for bad spelling

#479049 - 06/23/18 02:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Floyd,

A really excellent song... Love your vocal and the harmonies by Janice. Great arrangement and mix as well. Some high production values here!

Loved it.

Bob

#479062 - 06/23/18 03:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: england
Biglad Offline
Journeyman

Loc: england
Great production again. Vocal and harmonies are spot on ,another great write.well done to you all

#479070 - 06/23/18 04:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: rsdean]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

A really excellent song... Love your vocal and the harmonies by Janice. Great arrangement and mix as well. Some high production values here!

Loved it.

Bob

I agree 100%.

This is another winner from Floyd and Janice!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#479075 - 06/23/18 04:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Floyd

That was a song I would swear I've heard before, because its catchy and commercial and just so easy going and simple.

I'm singing the chorus as I type.
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 ,Byerdynamic 770 pro, akg k270,akg k701.
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

#479093 - 06/23/18 06:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Cool song. Sounds great!!!

#479104 - 06/23/18 07:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

All the hallmarks of a Floyd rocker are there- sharp, honed lyrics, feeling and prescence in the vocals, a punchy chorus and nothing out of place in the production.
So darn good.
I should add I enjoyed thinking about who I pictured as the song`s villain... could be wrong, but if I`m right, someone call Stephen Colbert and get Floyd on the show!

Robert

#479108 - 06/23/18 10:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Wisconsin
critter Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Wisconsin
Another great one from the master king.

#479121 - 06/24/18 04:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I love this!

Vocal and harmonies are spot on.

Great job on the write and I really like the chorus, very strong.

Production as always is top notch, man, those drums! Such a great sound.

Enjoyed the listen, floyd!

Blue Attitude Website

#479128 - 06/24/18 05:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Floyd,

A fabulous track and for me, it has to be my favourite so far.

A wonderful production with so much going on, yet all still coherent and everything
in it's own space. Excellent stereo both on the mains and the 'phones. Loved the whole
thing, but especially the sound of the bass and the kick drum, which REALLY kicked.

Great lyrics, melody, harmony and super performance from both you and Janice.

All this and a guitar solo too! I'd like to think you put that in just for me, but
I have to be realistic....

Not been here as much as I'd like recently, but happy to have caught this one.

Cheers, ROG.

#479138 - 06/24/18 08:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
What? What?! WHAT?!? Who wrote this? Did you hire a ghost writer? Floyd, you are a MASTER of story telling in a song. That's your lane. Stick to it. You are NOT allowed to venture over to the "non-specific listener fill in their own story" lyric and dominate that too! No! No! No! Go back to what you were great at before you were great at this please. I'm not sure how you got in here, but...security!

Seriously, I am beyond impressed. I love everything about this song.

The lyrics are fantastic...
Quote:

hiding your intentions
only make 'em clearer

the production is fantastic...
You had me at the drums and never lost me. Everything is clear and represented so well.

The performance is fantastic...
Anyone with ears and a heart can tell that!

The arrangement is fantastic...
Love the structure and how parts move in and out as they should. A sprinkle of guitar between vocal phrasing to keep in interest, the backing vocals at chorus two forward for heightening was OMG! I'll stop but...just...wow!

Melodically, THAT sir, was CATCHY!

I noticed people only bring Janice in when they have a song good enough to be awesome. Or is it when people bring Janice in, the song is now awesome? OH! That's what it is! (secret to a great song there.)

You may want to consider a name change. Drop the "e" in "Jane" and just add "ice." wink

**Edit**

Oh yeah, if this song is about me, then forget everything I said. Actually, I wouldn't be able to deny that it would still be my favorite song I've heard on the forum so far. smile

Thank you for making this song!

Edited by HearToLearn (06/24/18 02:36 PM)
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#479140 - 06/24/18 08:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

I swear to God I have heard this before. Maybe it was in a conversation or something, but I KNOW I have heard these words before.

Strangely enough, I think I know WHO it is about.

I called Carly and she swore it wasn't about Mick, so now I think I know for sure. But I ain't saying.

smile

Great song man!!

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#479144 - 06/24/18 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: HearToLearn]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Oh now I remember who it was about. Caaron, we need to talk man. I want you to be sitting down and take a deep breath first though.

Kidding!!!!!!

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#479155 - 06/24/18 12:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: Biglad]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

Loved it.

Bob

Appreciate that, Bob - and thanks for your continued support...

Originally Posted By: Biglad
Great production again. Vocal and harmonies are spot on ,another great write.well done to you all

Thanks for having a listen, John...

#479176 - 06/24/18 03:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Boy this song has such a cool feel to it. Lyrics were just excellent. You tell such a great story with you lyrics. Super vocal and harmonies were so well done. I just loved the guitar on it. Just growled on the low register and the highs have such a cool bite to them.

#479182 - 06/24/18 05:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
As a self-proclaimed songwriter/lyricist, I'm supposed to be able to come up with new, catchy ways to say something. But ya know what, Floyd? I agree with all that has been said. The only words that comes to mind I've not yet seen is ... WOW!

It's a great song, production and delivery in every sense of the word. Who says only Nashville can produce top-quality country music suitable for the massive audience of the genre? Some of those Nashville suits might want to have their guys take a listen to this - they might get a real good lesson on lyric writing, production technique,arrangement and delivery. That's all I have to say about this gem.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#479208 - 06/24/18 10:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, floyd

Excellent song!
Very catchy and melodically,.
Really love your vocal and the harmonies by Janice.
The chord progressions repeated one after the other with descent and ascend of the bass line many times are very powerful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#479211 - 06/24/18 11:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
floyd

Loved it!
Brilliant song writing - great concise lyric and a really catchy hook.
Janice & you always sound wonderful together and this is no exception.
Superb production & excellent all round.

Peter

#479244 - 06/25/18 06:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: beatmaster]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Floyd,

Loved it.

Bob

I agree 100%.

This is another winner from Floyd and Janice!

Thanks, Mario.

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Floyd

That was a song I would swear I've heard before, because its catchy and commercial and just so easy going and simple.

I'm singing the chorus as I type.

beatmaster - what more could a songwriter/producer want to hear???... Thanks!

#479286 - 06/25/18 12:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Smoke And Mirrors [Re: Robertkc]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Cool song. Sounds great!!!

Thanks, Josie.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

All the hallmarks of a Floyd rocker are there- sharp, honed lyrics, feeling and prescence in the vocals, a punchy chorus and nothing out of place in the production.
So darn good.
I should add I enjoyed thinking about who I pictured as the song`s villain... could be wrong, but if I`m right, someone call Stephen Colbert and get Floyd on the show!

Robert

Appreciate all that, Robert. Let me know if you run into Stephen Colbert!!!

wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32853 Members
68 Forums
66163 Topics
561858 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
xhosa, JohnDoe, hkh, Martin4889, Jasperb

32852 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 168
VideoTrack 145