Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
After much thinking I finally decided to get a tablet for charts, pdf's, irealpro, etc we've all talked about for gigs.

This is all I'm using it for, nothing else so all I need is a good, basic inexpensive large screen tablet. The el cheapo's I see online all have terrible reviews, poor screens, etc so I wind up checking out the new Amazon Fire HD 10.1 and bought it last night from Best Buy. It's only $149, has a high resolution screen and gets great reviews. Any other Android tablet with decent reviews costs twice that or more with a 10" screen. Yes I know iPads are great for musicians but for the money I just don't need one, all I need is something for charts.

I had already read the Fire cannot access the Google app store, it uses Amazon's app store so of course I do more research. I find all of the apps I'm considering are available including MobileSheets, Fakebook Pro and...irealpro.

I thought.

Turns out I didn't look closely enough. When I did a Google search for "Amazon irealpro app" the page that certainly looks like it's available has a little blurb off to the right that I didn't see on my phone that says "You are not eligible to purchase this app due to geographical restrictions". What!? What the heck is this? I do more looking and find this:

https://technimo.helpshift.com/a/ireal-pro/?s=purchases&f=ireal-pro-in-amazon-app-store

Which leads to this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Talk about blindsided. I think it's cool that I could turn this into a Google tablet BUT...if doing this winds up turning it into a frisbee I may not be able to return it (well I could try, haha) but they probably would if I exchanged it for a Samsung for double the money.

My question is has anybody done this, does this look legit? Or is trying to save $150 not worth it and I should get a double the money tablet. Which would put me into the ball park of the new iPad 9.7 for $350 but dammit all I need is a stupid 10" or larger chart reader.

Thanks

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
It would have been nice if they had at least explained why they quit "officially" supporting the device. Doesn't help any to wonder though.

My wife has impaired vision. I'm using the laptop she use to have (Dell Inspirion) because she couldn't she the screen anymore. We went to BestBuy and looked at Microsoft Surface, Windows laptops, Apple laptops and Ipads before settling on a Samsung Galaxy with a 10.3" screen. For her the screen is easier to see than an Apple with a Retina screen. She's had it going on two years and she still likes it.

My guess is it would work well sitting on a stand with you looking at the screen from a short distance.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
My eight inch fire that I bought last Christmas can access the Google play store, took me about 5-10 mins to do it following the instructions from the net. Its only a matter of installing four or five apps in order that they tell you to.

I don't think it can mess up your tablet, like other stuff like rooting can do, as its only installing apps.

But then again you can never be 100% sure what nasties are in those apps, I was willing to take the chance, but took the precaution of removing my credit card details from google play in case anyone else could access my account. If I want to buy an app, I will only put the details back on temporary.

Google play works 100% as well as other google apps like google books and drive.

As amazon update their tablet automatically there is a chance that it might disable google play.

But there again if you are one of those people who follow the rules to the latter then amazon didn't put google play on your tablet, so they don't want you to have it.

You make up your own mind, I did!

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Good info, thanks. No, I'm not worried that I'm somehow cheating Amazon. I found a little tidbit on the net that said the same thing you did, these mods are only apps not something that digs down deeper into the OS so I'll go ahead and give it a go.

It's also a good point about automatic updates, a Google search found how to disable it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ha, it worked perfect! It took a few minutes for the Google App Store to open up the first time. I logged into my account, the apps appeared and there's a tab for apps already purchased and IrealPro was there so I clicked Install and voila!

No nastygrams from amazon probably because it's still an Amazon tablet. All that happened is I have access to the Google App store in addition to the Amazon one. The home screen didn't change, it's all Amazon. Just to show them I'm not a total ingrate I'll buy Fakebook Pro through them.

Bob

Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Nice one Bob!

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Fakebook Pro is amazing. $3 from the Amazon app store. It is partially integrated with irealpro and is preloaded with their jazz and pop/rock playlists. But the really big deal is access to a boatload of other playlists in many genres fully indexed and ready to go. I spent the evening installing 7 or 8 of these that are 400-500 songs each. Those along with the irealpro playlists has to add up to 4-5,000 songs. And that is just to start. Fakebook Pro also has the ability to import anything you want from handwritten cheatsheets or pages from a music book you can take a pic of with your phone, or online or from a scanner or whatever. I found a bunch of songs I wanted in the irealpro forum that are not part of the preloaded playlists. All I did is click on the share icon, hit pdf and Fakebook Pro is listed as one of the destination options so it's an instant transfer that gets integrated into the master song list.

Am I ever going to play 5,000 songs, of course not but I'm an active gigging player and I'll get called by either people I know or a referral. If this huge list includes a new bands list it's a big help.

I really cannot believe I didn't do this sooner. I was afraid of the cost and learning curve I guess but $149 for a pretty nice 10" tablet and a no brainer access to all that content is really, really cool.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Glad you are pleased with the results so far. It seems that having a tablet and the right app can provide a lot of opportunity and enjoyment.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Enjoyment...well, not so much but I'm getting there.

First for $3 you don't get a help file, you don't get a forum, you get squat. The website that does have all that amazing content has a FAQ but it's not sorted or anything and it's pretty useless for specific questions. Google searches are the same. Not enough people using it probably. You're on your own and all I can say is man o man it ain't easy.

My problem is basic. After I downloaded all those 5,000 plus songs there are still a whole bunch I need that are not there. There are multiple ways to get new songs into Fakebook Pro. I'm not going to list them all, suffice it to say initially, like half of yesterday, none of them worked for me. None, nada, zip.

Finally I figured out the "trick" for one and now this afternoon I've been whipping through quite a few songs. Two other ways that I would like to work, still don't and I emailed the developer in Sweden. Still, one good way is enough for now. If someone is having issues let me know.

I keep reminding myself this is really no different from nooby's having a tough time getting started with Biab. Tablets and Apps are new to me so I'm having a tough time too. These things are always easy once you know how...

Oh, almost forgot I created a playist and started with the tunes that are in my downloaded database. I put about 25 into my new playlist, went to put another one and the playlist is gone! GONE?! At least they're all in the master songlist so I had to recreate my playlist and put them all back. No issues since and I'll chalk that up to me fumble fingering around and touching something my mistake. The lesson there is you gotta be careful with touchscreens!

The other lesson is I need to run out and get an SD card. You can do a full backup that way so if that happens again it's there. I can also do it to the cloud but a cloud transfer of new songs is one of the ways that is not working for me right now and believe me I've tried. Amazon Prime, Google Drive, OneDrive, nope. Ain't happening.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,493
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195