They say time heals old wounds
Time brings the mountains down
With just one single drop every day
Even with my heart in a tomb
Buried beneath the ground
Until time wears the heartache away

Slowly, gently, the water softly falls
Time and tide will bring a brand new day

Style is _ASPEN.STY (Aspen Songwriter Pop)

Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120 (#683)
Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPowerPushArp Ev 120 (#1533)
Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkPulse8thsFintan Ev 110 (#2935)
Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120 (#691)
Drums, NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat
Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085 (#1856)
Piano, Electric, HeldChords 120 (#2495)

As I've mentioned before, I figured that I need to step up to the plate this year and start writing songs, so I can justify all these digital music toys I buy. This time around, I decided that I should go 100% BiaB. So I went searching through the various styles until I found the _ASPEN style. Sweet! I put in a different set of chords, and worked out a nice melody to go with it. I worked that out in BiaB, this time around trying to stick with lots of stepwise motion to make it easier to sing.

All that was left was to add lyrics.

And then... no progress. In addition to writer's block, the chorus I'd set up was way too freaking long. But I stuck with my self-imposed rules and kept at it, failing again and again. There's a quote in Johann Joseph Fux's Gradus ad Parnassum:

drops wear the stone
not by strength but by constant falling

Well, I was constantly falling, that's for sure!

Eventually, that idea became the chorus (although stated less well), and the verses a justification for the chorus. The genesis for the song was someone's comment following several celebrity suicides that "It gets better." I'd used the theme of a singer being left by someone before, but figured that it was an acceptable proxy. I believe I also used the phrase time and tide in a recent song, so claims that I'm running in creative circles are probably well founded. smirk

I had intended to use more colorful, descriptive language in my songs. That didn't happen - even the non-color grey didn't survive through the rewrites. Maybe next time, I'll write about sparkling rainbows over green pastures of shamrocks.

Once I'd finally worked out the lyrics, it was time to sing it - something I always dread. Learning from past mistakes, I actually tried out a number of keys before settling on F - pleasantly high, but no out of reach notes. Of course, that was before I added the high harmony part, something I wish I had considered.

I put together a scratch vocal track, which was really pitchy and filled with vocal scoops - a vocal habit I've never been able to rid myself of. The idea was to use it as a guide and replace it. But after spending so much time fixing the track with Waves Tune, I decided to use it as the main track - not really the best decision, because vocal are the key instrument, right? So there really isn't any good excuse for me not going back and singing it properly, mea culpa. laugh

For the harmony part, I used BiaB to generate the parts using TC Helicon, because the zplane Intelligent Mode harmony function wouldn't track my vocal. I ended up singing along with those to make it less robotic, and the final background vocals is a mix of both. Pitch correction for those tracks used Reaper's ReaTune. It's a bit ironic that I was up until the wee hours of the night singing background vocals, but loath to re-do the primary track. crazy

The song needed some instrumental sweetening, so after trying out lots of options, I ended up using the cello, and a touch of electric piano to fill things out.

That cello is really lovely - Matt Nelson did a wonderful job.

Once I got a working mix, I got my oldest son to work on the final mix. He did lots of EQ moves with Neutron Elements, along with free Spitfish plugins and EZ Mix. We used Ozone Elements for the "mastering", along with a Reaper stereo widener.

As usual... I didn't use reference tracks while mixing, and I'm sure it shows. I'm suitably ashamed. But next time..! Extra effort was made to get the mix to be more cohesive, and the vocal less shrill.

As floyd jane says - have at it! I hope you enjoy it. The fact that you folk crank out such awesome songs is an inspiration for me to keep me working on these songs.

All comments are welcome.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #479843 06/28/18 11:38 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

I really enjoyed this.

You are the only second person on the planet that I am acquainted with who has read Johann Joseph Fux's Gradus ad Parnassum. That was my starting text when I embarked on my journey of teaching myself counterpoint and 4-part harmony. In retrospect, it was fine place to begin. I wonder how many people will read your post and wonder how to pronounce his surname? smile smile

Back to your composition...

Your arrangements are always first class and this stands proudly beside all that you've posted to date. I was captivated by the way you used the cello. It blended so hauntingly well with the instruments. Your vocals and background vocals also fitted the mood of the melody very well indeed. When I first heard the chorus, I was immediately reminded of the light-rock/folk sound of Bobby Goldsboro (he's one of my favourites).

I found a lot to like with this. I've got to say that I definitely admire you for choosing an ABAB verse rhyme scheme and then upping the ante with an ABCABC chorus rhyme scheme! You've used it very well and maintained a conversational lyric flow. I always find that more intense my rhyme patterns, the harder fitting lyrics together becomes. You make it look and sound very, very easy though.

As I said at the start, I really enjoyed this -- technically and musically.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
dcuny #479847 06/29/18 12:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

I really like this... Great song, arrangement and mix. I also like the vocal and see no reason to change it.

Agree with Noel on the Bobby Goldsboro vibe - very cool sound.

Bob

dcuny #479863 06/29/18 03:45 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

This. Is. Excellent.

A good "pop" write. The instrumentation is excellent. Good arrangement.

The vocals are Excellent! I like your voice! (you are far too hard on yourself). The harmonies are extraordinary.

The mix is among the best I've heard on this forum. Far better than most...

Great job (kudos to your son, too!)

I enjoyed this - immensely.

fj

dcuny #479871 06/29/18 04:42 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really well done, David smile It displays a good grasp of songwriting, and I too enjoyed the vocal performance on this. In particular, the harmonies for the chorus sounded really well done. The mix is also superb. It sounds really balances, the the tune flows immaculately.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
dcuny #479879 06/29/18 04:55 AM
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
David,

Really like the vocals here (particularly that melody on the verses), accentuated by a great production. Great job on this one!

All the best,

Deej

Noel96 #479882 06/29/18 05:12 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I really enjoyed this.

I'm glad to hear it! laugh

Quote:
You are the only second person on the planet that I am acquainted with who has read Johann Joseph Fux's Gradus ad Parnassum. That was my starting text when I embarked on my journey of teaching myself counterpoint and 4-part harmony. In retrospect, it was fine place to begin. I wonder how many people will read your post and wonder how to pronounce his surname?

Wikipedia says it's safe to say his name. smile

It really is an excellent text - or at least, Alfred Mann's translation of the parts on counterpoint, The Study of Counterpoint. I took it with me on my honeymoon, since it was a cross-continent flight to Bermuda. Stupidly, we picked the off-season to go without doing sufficient research, so there was plenty of time in the hotel to read it, as well as play on the piano I found tucked away in side room, as rain poured outside.

Quote:
Your arrangements are always first class and this stands proudly beside all that you've posted to date. I was captivated by the way you used the cello. It blended so hauntingly well with the instruments. Your vocals and background vocals also fitted the mood of the melody very well indeed. When I first heard the chorus, I was immediately reminded of the light-rock/folk sound of Bobby Goldsboro (he's one of my favourites).

I have a tendency to over-orchestrate, so with this song I didn't add as much as I usually do. As I mentioned, the cello is really, really lovely. It was painful to keep removing more and more of it from the arrangement.

floyd jane's latest song was an excellent reminder, and helped keep me on track.

But... the mix had a lot to do with it as well. When my son got to it, his first reaction was that the kick drum and bass were fighting for the same space. (We put a high pass on the cello, too). Once he fixed that, the problem was there was a lack of mids in the arrangement. Most of the mixing was focused on fixing that. The contrast between the stark initial mix and the more full final mix is pretty stark.

Quote:
I found a lot to like with this. I've got to say that I definitely admire you for choosing an ABAB verse rhyme scheme and then upping the ante with an ABCABC chorus rhyme scheme!

Yeah, I painted myself into a corner with that one! I think I grabbed the form from the demo, and then decided I wanted a little tag at the end so I could have more major 7th chords.

Writing to a pre-existing melody is like having a voice singing lyrics that you can't quite make out. You know them when you get them right... but most of the time, it's "Nope, that's not it."

But making that C section work lyrically meant that the lyric had to emotionally come down at that point, which junked a lot of ideas. Someone more clever than me could have made it work, I'm sure.

Quote:
You make it look and sound very, very easy though.

I wish it were! I keep having to re-learn to try to say less, and keep it simple. Ask the Quakers about that! laugh

Thanks, it's always good to get your analytical ear.

-- David Cuny

dcuny #479891 06/29/18 06:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Well Dave, I am not going to use as many words as you did, but I find this to be an extraordinary mix and arrangement.

It sounds really, really good man--warm and professional, a real treat to the ears. There is SO much detail in here and separation of instruments (great choices too) I was reminded of great analog mixes from the 70s-90s before things started getting squashed.

You really nailed it with this. Gorgeous is about all I can say.

dcuny #479914 06/29/18 08:11 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That was great, David. I definitely hear the Bobby Goldsboro vibe in it (and I'm a big Bobby Goldsboro fan).

The vocal is great; however, there are just a few places where you hear the vocal tuning artifact (that's a ProTools thing, right?) overrunning the syllable of the word. Might want to work on just those few places. But I get it when listening to your own voice. I know I usually cringe when I hear my own voice, even though enough people have said it's pleasant enough.

But really enjoyed the song. Excellent work and it shows.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
dcuny #479926 06/29/18 09:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David,

What's not to like? This is as near-perfect as a listener could hope to hear. Your vocals are far better than you perceive them. I got a vibe of somewhere between Bobby Goldsboro (as has been mentioned) and some of John Denver's folk pop songs.Regardless, it was a terrific vibe! Excellent work in every way. Congrats an an excellent project brought to fruition.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This. Is. Excellent.

A good "pop" write. The instrumentation is excellent. Good arrangement.

Thanks!

My youngest daughter weighed in this morning with "Dad, it's not extraordinary. It sounds like all your other songs." Which (bless her heart, she takes after her Dad) is true, but it's nice to get feedback from people who take the time to notice the details about a song, and are polite enough to overlook the faults. laugh

Quote:
I like your voice! (you are far too hard on yourself). The harmonies are extraordinary.

smile I don't want to sound like I'm complaining or looking for compliments. I just figured I'd be honest about the tools that I'm using on the vocals. There's no shame in using tools to achieve a vocal.

All the same, being lazy about vocals isn't something to crow about, so I figured I'd 'fess up to that.

Credit also goes to BiaB, since I literally just sang along with what it generated.

I was having trouble getting the lead vocal to fit with the background, and my son showed me a cool trick - he did a wide EQ cut centered around 5K, to kill the "clarity" of the background, but keep the body. That helped keep the focus on the lead vocal without having raise the volume of the lead.

That's the kind of thing I never would have thought of.

Quote:
The mix is among the best I've heard on this forum. Far better than most...

Thanks, I'll let him know!

I'm lucky I've got another pair of ears - especially young ones. There's a lot of stuff that I just don't know to listen for, and he's good at explaining most of what he's doing so I can add to my bag of tricks.

And of course, I kept your maxims in mind - make sure the drums are loud enough, and the vocal integrated into the mix.

Thanks again! smile

-- David Cuny

rsdean #479935 06/29/18 09:51 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
I really like this... Great song, arrangement and mix. I also like the vocal and see no reason to change it.

I'm glad to hear it. smile

Thanks for listening!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
It displays a good grasp of songwriting, and I too enjoyed the vocal performance on this.

Thanks, Deryk. And thanks to PG in general who made all this cool stuff possible. Here's a suggested slogan:

Band in a Box: We make you sound better than you really are!

OK, maybe that needs an edit...

Band in a Box: We make you sound better!

wink

Thanks for listening!

-- David Cuny

Deej56 #479937 06/29/18 09:56 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Really like the vocals here (particularly that melody on the verses), accentuated by a great production. Great job on this one!

Hi, Deej.

Thanks for the kind words.

-- David Cuny

dcuny #479942 06/29/18 10:24 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I liked this to me it was like an old seekers number, and that's coming from somebody who is a big fan of the seekers.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

dcuny #479954 06/29/18 10:56 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,
The only thing wrong with your song is that I started the music before reading your intro...which is a great explanation but now I`m going back to have a proper, undistracted listen to the song!
I like it - yes, I got the Seekers vibe too. Your voice is fine... and I confess that until a few months ago my harmonies have been a mix of the BiaB Helicon generated with my own. Yours sound smooth and right here.
Good work and hats off to your son for the excellent mix.

Robert

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
You really nailed it with this. Gorgeous is about all I can say.

Thanks, David!

I think most of the kudos go to my son - there were a lot of tricks he did to each of the instruments that help them sparkle, but not get too brittle. Then everything went through a stereo widener, which really made the guitars pop (they were already fully panned), and then Ozone Elements for more EQ magic.

-- David Cuny

jford #479958 06/29/18 11:09 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
The vocal is great; however, there are just a few places where you hear the vocal tuning artifact (that's a ProTools thing, right?) overrunning the syllable of the word.

I'm using Waves Tune, which I've been quite pleased with. The UI is much too small, but it has a lot of features that cost quite a bit more in Melodyne.

You're completely right about the vocal artifacts. Re-singing is really the best thing to do. I'm a very scoopy singer, and even when the pitch is corrected, there are still timbre changes that simply can't be corrected.

There's an especially nasty bit on "the only" that may convince me to fix it, but then I'd lose those nice comments people left on SoundCloud. frown

So against my better judgement, I'm going to leave it as is... For right now, anyway!

Thanks for listening and commenting!

-- David Cuny

dcuny #479960 06/29/18 11:15 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I don't know much about wave tune, although Ozone Elements are a real nice touch on instruments and vocals.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Al-David #479962 06/29/18 11:19 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Your vocals are far better than you perceive them.

Thanks!

I hear what you're saying, and appreciate the compliment.

And to be clear, I'm quite pleased with how this turned out.

Quote:
Congrats an an excellent project brought to fruition.

Thanks! Now I can justify picking up those instruments currently at 50% off at Orange Tree Samples, because I no doubt need to use them in my next song. wink

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,509
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195