You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#485139 - 08/09/18 05:47 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks.
Loc: Ashkelon, Israel
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Journeyman

So I wrote this as a response to a query posted in Band in a Box and now posting this here pursuant to VideoTrack's suggestion.

Basically, the OP in that post was finding that the MIDI string tracks were playing simple triads with an occasional inversion thrown in, and wanted to achieve a more dynamic and varied sound.

This was my response:

You actually have a number of options for getting movement in your string sections.

1) Use MIDI supertracks or RTs for your string sections. The "regular" MIDI styles are based on a C7 algorithm (as PG music refers to it). These are rather static mappings that simply transpose to the chords you are using. On the other hand, RTs and MIDI Supertracks are input/played by musicians, and therefore have a much wider range.

2) [Music theory alert] If you want more precise inversions, why not use slash chords? Basically, if you have a triad, which is based on the 1, 3, and 5, why not place the three or five in the bass and restate the chord-which will essentially add in an octave note-or use the chord that results from stating the third degree as the root and the fifth as the 3rd etc. Then you can shuffle/alternate between the three varioutions within the same measure, and BiaB will likely throw in some leading and/or transitional notes throughout,

3) Make sure the strings patch is placed on the melody track and utilize the "Humanize" function, which has a wealth of fantastic options.

4) Make sure the strings patch is placed on the melody track (as above) and use the harmony function. Also has a wealth of fantastic options, some of which are specifically geared toward strings, IIRC.

5) Use extensions! The more "info" you feed into BiaB the more it blossoms. I've found that generally when you use an extension--even if it's the added note of simple 7th/Maj7 chord--BiaB will generate something much more complex than what is essentially a held chord with the 1, 3, 5, and 7. Sit down with your guitar or piano or whatever your instrument of choice is, and see what might be added in over any given triad, generate and play, and watch the magic happen.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I was thinking of maybe making a demonstration video to post on YouTube if there's enough interest in the topic. If this is something a number of you folks would be interested in, let me know in the comments below, and I'll see if I can carve out some time over the weekend to record and upload a video.

All the best,

Deacon

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

#490962 - 09/14/18 01:42 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks. [Re: DeaconBlues09]
Loc: Way too close to Palm Springs,...
Tobias Offline
Expert

Loc: Way too close to Palm Springs,...
Definitely Interested. I've been sticking with midi strings and editing like crazy in Piano Roll. While I will probably still use midi strings over Real Strings it certainly sounds worth a try to with either to first get BIAB to do some/most/all of the creative work for me. I don't really play keys/synth/string myself so making these creative edits don't come easy for me. Plus the time spent is often exhausting although fun. I would totally be willing to accept what musician would offer and most likely accept what BIAB gave me if a little more creative in the right sections of a song.
BTW, when you refer to "string dynamics" I assume I would apply the same techniques to pads, synths, organ and more at times.

#490980 - 09/14/18 03:30 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks. [Re: DeaconBlues09]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Great info.
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#495814 - 10/13/18 11:56 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks. [Re: DeaconBlues09]
drutgat Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

P.S. I was thinking of maybe making a demonstration video to post on YouTube if there's enough interest in the topic. If this is something a number of you folks would be interested in, let me know in the comments below, and I'll see if I can carve out some time over the weekend to record and upload a video.

All the best,

Deacon

Having seen your other video, Deacon, I would very much hope that you would make a video on this topic.

Thanks.

#495815 - 10/14/18 12:01 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks. [Re: drutgat]
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: drutgat
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

All the best,

Deacon

Having seen your other video, Deacon, I would very much hope that you would make a video on this topic.

Thanks.

Glad you find them helpful, I'll try and see if I can carve out some time over the week to post something :-)
Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

#495945 - 10/14/18 11:33 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks. [Re: Tobias]
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Tobias
Definitely Interested. I've been sticking with midi strings and editing like crazy in Piano Roll. While I will probably still use midi strings over Real Strings it certainly sounds worth a try to with either to first get BIAB to do some/most/all of the creative work for me. I don't really play keys/synth/string myself so making these creative edits don't come easy for me. Plus the time spent is often exhausting although fun. I would totally be willing to accept what musician would offer and most likely accept what BIAB gave me if a little more creative in the right sections of a song.
BTW, when you refer to "string dynamics" I assume I would apply the same techniques to pads, synths, organ and more at times.

Hey Tobias,

Sorry I missed this somehow. You could definitely apply these techniques to pads, synths, organs, and more.

That said, I would not use the same techniques for, say, strings as I would for pads due to the difference in sonic and contextual functions of the respective instruments.

For instance, real life string sections will have the lower register instruments playing less notes in step-wise motion while higher register instruments will be playing arpeggios. For organs, I would be more inclined to add a rotary effect and automate the oscillations such that the rate accelerates and decelerates to taste. With pads I would tweak the ADSR envelope and apply an LFO or two to the filter tp get that swelling and morphing effect.

I will definitely try and make a video or two touching on these subjects in the coming weeks. :-)

PG Music News
A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

Forum Stats
34999 Members
66 Forums
71257 Topics
618038 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
grenouille, an_thunder, ged1200, apexel, PROJECT M

34999 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 292