Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#487743 - 08/25/18 10:03 AM [User Showcase] RockPaperScissors with ScottC
Robertkc Offline
Expert

RockPaperScissors

Sweltering in a recent heatwave and choking on forest fire smoke - both recurring summer events in these parts- I got climate change confused with a nursery rhyme, political humbug with a silly game, and came up with this.
Scott didn`t raise an eyebrow and delivered the feisty twin guitars.
My first try at mastering with Ozone 8, so comments on that or any other aspect of the song are welcome.

RealTracks in song: 1418:Bass, Electric, Southern
RealTracks in song: 2905:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BrightBluesyPopColin Ev 100
RealDrums in song: Rock,Southern
RT2619 Organ,Rhythm Funk

Rock Paper Scissors

King`s in his counting house
counting worthless money
Queen`s in the parlour
eating the last bread and honey
cook can`t find a blackbird
to bake in a pie
birds and bees flew out
through a hole in the sky
four and twenty ministers
deciding who to blame
as soon as they finish
another round of their game

rock paper scissors
tick tock tick tock
there won`t be a winner
too late to stop
its so damn hot

maid says there`s no garden
all the taps went dry
raised the castle drawbridge
shut out the cries
priests count regrets
on a rosary
poets scrawl on the walls
the land`s obituary

rock paper scissors
tick tock tick tock
there won`t be a winner
too late to stop
so damn hot

the King calls for ice!
to chill his martini
who`s gonna tell him
it melted in the sea

rock paper scissors
tick tock tick tock
there won`t be a winner
its so damn hot
is it too late to stop?

© Robert Cordrey Aug.2018

#487745 - 08/25/18 10:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Robert / Scott,

This is really outstanding! Great rock song - love the Clapton-like sounds Scott is getting... Great vocal and production Robert.

Simply great all around!

Bob

#487746 - 08/25/18 10:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This was another fun project.
Used two different guitars for each part.
PRS P24 for the main part
Gibson Les Paul for the second part
Amp is a Ceriatone CWreck
Maxon tube screamer

Edited by Scott C (08/25/18 10:31 AM)

#487752 - 08/25/18 11:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Florida
GocartMoz Offline
Apprentice

Beautiful job guys! Loved the guitar ring. It rocks! Really enjoyed it. Thx for sharing.

Dave

#487758 - 08/25/18 11:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Robert & Scott,

I dig it when y'all "get your San Fransisco on". This one goes there big time.

Good psych rock write. The BAND works great for it - good choices. And a good mix.

Scott - your guitar on this is cool - again, sounds like it came right out of early 70's SF rock scene...

(I though you could have gotten wilder with the vocal effects).

Really enjoyed this. Great feel.

fj

#487776 - 08/25/18 01:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
I love this!!! Trippy song, and Scott's riffs were a perfect ingredient to decorate this soup of sound! Some great lyrics:

to bake in a pie
birds and bees flew out

John Lennon is turning in his grave, saying "Why didn't I think of that?"

Great stuff guys!! Take care. Greg

#487809 - 08/25/18 08:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Robert /Scott

Sound great - nicely mastered Robert and love the guitar part Scott added to this.
Really great work by both of you - great stuff.

Peter

#487857 - 08/26/18 03:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Very nice guys, you handle the late 60’s vibe so well!

Cool lyrics as always, and the twin guitar attack works well.

Just a very nice overall feel to this one.

Great collab as always Robert and Scott, enjoyed the listen!

Blue Attitude Website
CD release: Blue Line

#487880 - 08/26/18 06:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Fun song! What I like best about it was the melodic theme that you carried throughout that’s based on the rock paper scissors… I thought that your lyric idea of mixing all those topic elements worked out really great… Gives a listener the impression that they “kind of” know what you’re talking about, but not quite—a little bit of mystery there! The live guitar elements were outstanding.

My only element the feedback is in the use of the words “rosary/obituary”—to my ears, when you create a rhyme that makes an unnatural emphasis (ros-a-REE), it comes off less smooth to the ear than maybe some other word choice that has a natural emphasis in the last syllable—just my opinion.

Really enjoyed you work, the collaboration, and the mos creative idea. Hope things have cooled down!!

#487896 - 08/26/18 08:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Robert and Scott,

Hehe! wish we had some more hot weather.

Nice guitar from Scott and a great song from you.
Sounds good here.
enjoyed

Alyn

#487924 - 08/26/18 10:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert / Scott,

This is really outstanding! Great rock song - love the Clapton-like sounds Scott is getting... Great vocal and production Robert.

Simply great all around!

Bob

Bob,

This started out much more country blues than rock... then I asked Scott to try the l/r dueling guitars and it got alot more enenergetic.
Glad you liked it!

Robert

Originally Posted By: GocartMoz
Beautiful job guys! Loved the guitar ring. It rocks! Really enjoyed it. Thx for sharing.

Dave

Thank you, Dave!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert & Scott,

I dig it when y'all "get your San Fransisco on". This one goes there big time.

Good psych rock write. The BAND works great for it - good choices. And a good mix.

Scott - your guitar on this is cool - again, sounds like it came right out of early 70's SF rock scene...

(I though you could have gotten wilder with the vocal effects).

Really enjoyed this. Great feel.

fj

Floyd,

The inspiration for the music on this started with listening to Sun Zoom Spark ( Beefheart), so you are close to the mark on the psych part... actually I kind of wished I could swallow sandpaper or something to rough up my voice to get more of that attitude into the vocals. Maybe there`s a Nectar preset for that, but I haven`t found it yet.
Your feedback is most appreciated.

Robert

#487964 - 08/26/18 05:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Robert/Scott, very nice collaboration! Robert, you've offered up some super great lyric content again and I really liked the sound you have on guitar in this Scott! The guitar and vocal played off each other nicely! Thanks, Torrey

Edited by Torrey Bliss (08/26/18 05:16 PM)

#487965 - 08/26/18 05:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Whoah!!!!!!!!

The rusted chains of prison moons
Are shattered by the sun
I walk a road, horizons change
The tournament's begun
The purple piper plays his tune,
The choir softly sings;
Three lullabies in an ancient tongue,
For the court of the crimson king..

Wait, wrong song!

Man you guys had me tripping so hard I had a flashback and I thought my neighbor's face was a skeleton head.

This is so utterly cool, it's outrageous.

Totally King Crimson though.

And that's all right!! Magical, dudes.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#488019 - 08/27/18 07:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

What a tune! I'm loving this one - the groove, the guitar work, your vocals, the lyrics - it all comes together here. It flows magnificently, and has an almost epic feel to it. The sound is gigantic, and almost forces your attention. I can't help but imagine how great this would sound live.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile

#488031 - 08/27/18 09:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Robert/Scott, excellent collaboration! Loved the lyrics and the guitar soloing. The insistent melody's stuck in my head now!
cool crazy

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#488079 - 08/27/18 03:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
This song was a really cool one. I really love the artist choices you made. Awesome job, thanks for sharing!

#488119 - 08/27/18 07:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Groovy!

love the phrasing, guitars rock mucho

cool song

great write

Kenny

#488175 - 08/28/18 09:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Tano Music]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I love this!!! Trippy song, and Scott's riffs were a perfect ingredient to decorate this soup of sound! Some great lyrics:

to bake in a pie
birds and bees flew out

John Lennon is turning in his grave, saying "Why didn't I think of that?"

Great stuff guys!! Take care. Greg

Greg,
After writing this I thought " bet there are a bunch of songs with that title"... apparently not.
You picked my favourite verse to quote, so thank you!

Robert

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert /Scott

Sound great - nicely mastered Robert and love the guitar part Scott added to this.
Really great work by both of you - great stuff.

Peter

Peter,
Thank you - I agree Scott`s guitars here are cool and its good to know the production sounds ok (I really like that Tonal Balance plugin for Ozone8).
Cheers,

Robert

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very nice guys, you handle the late 60’s vibe so well!

Cool lyrics as always, and the twin guitar attack works well.

Just a very nice overall feel to this one.

Great collab as always Robert and Scott, enjoyed the listen!

Thanks for being a regular listener and supporter of our collaborations, Dave!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Fun song! What I like best about it was the melodic theme that you carried throughout that’s based on the rock paper scissors… I thought that your lyric idea of mixing all those topic elements worked out really great… Gives a listener the impression that they “kind of” know what you’re talking about, but not quite—a little bit of mystery there! The live guitar elements were outstanding.

My only element the feedback is in the use of the words “rosary/obituary”—to my ears, when you create a rhyme that makes an unnatural emphasis (ros-a-REE), it comes off less smooth to the ear than maybe some other word choice that has a natural emphasis in the last syllable—just my opinion.

Really enjoyed you work, the collaboration, and the mos creative idea. Hope things have cooled down!!

Yes, a bit cooler now... but I really should stop checking the global Co2 levels, its bad for my health!
Thank you for your thoughtful review.
There`s another awkward rhyme pair in the lyric -" martini/sea" - I got around by recording that one again...and maybe should have revisited " rosary" to change the emphasis.

Robert

#488177 - 08/28/18 09:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
So damn hot and so damn cool!

We've said it many times but your lyrics would lend themselves to stellar videos!

"Actually I kind of wished I could swallow sandpaper or something to rough up my voice to get more of that attitude into the vocals."

Johnny Winter wrote that he used to shout/scream into a pillow to roughen up his voice...if I recall correctly. You could try that and not disturb your spouse smile

You guys OWN this style around here and it's well deserved. Sophisticated psychedelia it is.

Fine write, vocals and the guitars (playing and tone).

Kudos y'all!

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#488433 - 08/29/18 04:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: RockPaperScissors with ScottC [Re: David Snyder]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: gibson
Robert and Scott,

Hehe! wish we had some more hot weather.

Nice guitar from Scott and a great song from you.
Sounds good here.
enjoyed

Alyn

Thanks for the listen, Alyn.
I think Britain just had its heatwave- sit tight, there`s more coming!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Robert/Scott, very nice collaboration! Robert, you've offered up some super great lyric content again and I really liked the sound you have on guitar in this Scott! The guitar and vocal played off each other nicely! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey,

I had to redo some of the vocal after Scott sent his guitar tracks, to try & bring them up closer to the level of his playing.
Glad you liked this.

Robert

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Whoah!!!!!!!!

The rusted chains of prison moons
Are shattered by the sun
I walk a road, horizons change
The tournament's begun
The purple piper plays his tune,
The choir softly sings;
Three lullabies in an ancient tongue,
For the court of the crimson king..

Wait, wrong song!

Man you guys had me tripping so hard I had a flashback and I thought my neighbor's face was a skeleton head.

This is so utterly cool, it's outrageous.

Totally King Crimson though.

And that's all right!! Magical, dudes.

David,
Well I can hear a bit of 21st Century Schizoid Man in the lyrics
so I`m tickled this gave you flashbacks... hope they were fun!
Thanks for the thumbs up.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Learn More About the Redesigned Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker!

Wow - how much do you LOVE the redesigned SongPicker in Band-in-a-Box® 2019?!

The SongPicker within Band-in-a-Box® accesses the folder of your choosing for easy opening of all your favorite songs, or song files purchased from a third party or shared by a friend, member of your band, etc.

Now, with this redesigned feature, you can view the chord progression for your selected song without having to open it in Band-in-a-Box® and can copy the information from this window right into a TXT file!

The new progress bar is a great visual aid when you're updating the folder - for instance, if you load the ENTIRE Band-in-a-Box® folder, that's over 15,000 songs - and it's nice to see the progress/confirmation on screen. Not that you'll be waiting long - since the SongPicker now builds lists faster!

Plus, there's so many filters added - searching for the song you want has never been easier!

Click here for a detailed write up on this redesigned feature, or watch the Video - SongPicker Overview.

TBT - Band-in-a-Box® 2015 Sound Bytes Review!

Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows was released on December 2014, and added GUI enhancements, support for 64-bit VST Plugins using jBridge, the ability to Load & Play videos PLUS save your song as a video... and more!

Check out the candid Sound Bytes review of Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Windows here.

Band In a Box grew up and became very mature software, offering a whole new world of possibilities – and we all just missed the progress, thinking that it is still the old toy that we used to know.
-A. Arsov

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Chord Options

Learn more about the Chord Options within Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Watch the video.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 625 Now Available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 625 Now Available

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019!

Learn more about this update & download it here.

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.13.5 is included in this patch.

Summary of changes for build 625 (March 19, 2019):

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.13.5 (Mar 7) is included in this patch.

Improved: Faster program bootup.
Improved: The SongPicker has sorting added. Each column can be sorted in forward or reverse order by clicking on the column.
Improved: New buttons [Search] and [Search Again] in the SongPicker allow you to search for certain text.
Improved: In the SongPicker, pressing the first letter jumps to that song (using the sorted column). If you type more than one character (within 2 seconds), such as typing ba it will jump to songs beginning with "ba".
Improved: SongPicker Options window has "play when chosen" added.
Improved: SongPicker Options window has option to disable sorting (if you have a slow machine and more than 40,000 songs in a list, you might want to disable sorting).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might prompt user to re-activate their license. Users who are still getting a message such as "program can only used on one computer" at bootup, can repair their license with this small .exe.
Fixed: Noise and frozen playback problems when using SampleTank 3 on some computers.
Fixed: The Big Lyrics window would automatically open when opening a song that contained only section text events.
Fixed: RealDrums picker might crash if no RealDrums are selected.
Fixed: The letter R cannot be used in note based lyrics.
Fixed: Audio base tempo would not be applied until song was reopened or Audio Edit window open prior to playback.
Fixed: The SongPicker displayed a dark grey background after rebuilding.
Fixed: Various minor typos in StylePicker and Titles database as reported.
Improved: LD harmonica RealTracks will now work better over major chord progressions.
Fixed: Look Ma More MIDI .SGU demos were not loading from StylePicker.
Improved: Strings, Rhythm PopCountry Sw 120: gaps are filled more appropriately.
Fixed: RockEven16 Drums sometimes played an ending bar in the middle of the song in the B section.
Fixed: Various RealDrums transcriptions had issues with bars displaying incorrectly.
Added: RealDrums transcriptions
Fixed: Guitar, Electric, Background ModernFunkSingleNotesBob Ev16 11 transcription partially incorrect.
Fixed: _SONGBRD demo was at an incorrect tempo.
Added: RealTracks Transcriptions
Fixed: Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FastPowerRockQuinn Ev 160 - some chords incorrectly played.
Fixed: Synth, BellPad, Rhythm 80sPopMelodic Ev 120 was not playing back properly.
Fixed: Bass, Electric, PeruFestejo68 Sw 120 now plays m7b5 chords more accurately.
Fixed: Bass, Electric, PunkFuzzPicked8ths Ev 165 and Bass, Electric, PunkFuzzPickedA-B Ev 165 were playing a few incorrect chords.
Improved: Several acoustic strumming guitar audition demos.
Fixed: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernPopHardHighMurray Ev16 075 was playing incorrect chords in certain instances.
Fixed: Charango, Rhythm AndesHuayno Ev16 085 and Electric, AndesHuaynoA-B Ev16 085 were not playing all chords
Fixed: A few RealStyles (e.g. _longing.sty) previously had parts on the melody track, and would therefore delete any existing melodies.
Fixed: _Arabian demo incompatible with localized BB versions.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Chord Sheet Display Options

Learn more about the Chord Sheet Display Options within Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch the video.

You can also read all about Chord Sheet Display Options within our Online Manual.

Add Cellist Natalie Haas to Your Band with RealTracks Set 325!

New with Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - RealTracks Set 325: Celtic Cello with Natalie Haas!

Watch the video demo of these RealTracks here.

RealTracks Set 325: Celtic Cello with Natalie Haas is available for $29 here, and is also included in the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition, or PlusPAK Upgrade. You can also purchase this RealTracks Set bundled with all the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 released Country RealTracks (Sets 320-328) in the RealPAK: Country 15 for $79.

Learn more about Natalie Haas here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Review!

Visit www.gearslutz.com and you'll find a recent (and thorough!) review of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

Band-in-a-Box has evolved into an expansive musical tool-set, able to aid both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical "talent". It's easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. An amazing program.
-Sound-Guy

www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/1248525-pg-music-band-box.html

Summary
Sound quality: 5/5 Stars
Ease of use: 4/5 Stars
Features: 5/5 Stars
Bang for buck: 5/5 Stars
Overall: 4.75/5 Stars!

Forum Stats
29191 Members
60 Forums
57410 Topics