Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#493351 - 09/28/18 03:47 PM [User Showcase] Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Tryin'

Tryin’ was one of our earliest co-writes with floyd. Five years ago he used my lyric as a template for teaching the two of us some of the songwriting techniques he had learned over the years. What was to be a bit of a learning exercise became a real musical journey for us as he also suggested the strings, developed the melody, transformed the lyric and sang harmony. Most flattering was that he recorded a guy version of the song smile

The forum was much smaller then and we thought newer folks might like to hear the song so we undertook a complete re-mix that consisted of all new effects on each track and a new mastering chain. We also did considerable work comping new versions of the fiddle and cello track. We doubled the vocal track with new effects to get a bit more presence as it was originally with a USB mic into GarageBand. And floyd offered some great mix counsel.

So huge thanks to floyd for then and now and thanks to those who take the time to listen and comment. We appreciate you!
Lyrics are on the SC page.

The techie stuff

Janice: lead vocal (original track doubled and stacked with differing Nectar 2 custom settings). Recorded via Blue USB mic into GarageBand.

floyd: harmony vocal / whatever the man did

Mandolin: composite of multiple generations of RTs 1875/2033 / Waves CLA Guitar

Guitar: RT 1814 / Waves CLA Unplugged

Cello: composite of multiple generations of RT 1856 / Logic Direction Mixer / Neutron 2 / EMT 140 Plate Reverb simulation

Fiddle: RT 1760 / Waves CLA Unplugged

Mix: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Waves Multi-Band Compressor (LinMB) / Ozone 8 Maximizer (limiter)

#493352 - 09/28/18 04:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janice, Bud & floyd

Well that was simply gorgeous.
Where to start - The vocals and harmony were simply top class (as expected - your voices mesh so well),
beautiful melody, a nice set of lyrics and a wonderful mix. The mandolin was lovely, and all the band sounds great and the overall sound and production was superb.
Master craftsmen at work.

Peter

#493353 - 09/28/18 04:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Great song, great sound, great singer(s). Tasteful and tasty instrumentation and fills. Production in the goldilocks zone, to my ears. Very, very nice.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#493375 - 09/28/18 05:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: PeterF]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice, Bud & floyd

Well that was simply gorgeous.
Where to start - The vocals and harmony were simply top class (as expected - your voices mesh so well),
beautiful melody, a nice set of lyrics and a wonderful mix. The mandolin was lovely, and all the band sounds great and the overall sound and production was superb.
Master craftsmen at work.

Peter

Peter, those kind remarks are much appreciated. Makes us feel like the revisit was a worthwhile project. Thank you!

J&B

#493381 - 09/28/18 06:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
The two voices sound perfect together.
Sweet song and sweet arrangement.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#493385 - 09/28/18 06:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Loving it here - everything about this is so beautifully done.

#493426 - 09/29/18 02:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the repost, I was here back then but wasn't very active so missed it the first time.

First of all a very good song.

And man, those vocals sound fabulous! Two great singers of course, but the vocal treatment is superb. Are you using a bit more reverb than you normally do? I couldn't imagine them possibly sounding better, well done.

Killer job on the production and mix, one of your best IMHO.

#493443 - 09/29/18 05:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Tangmo]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Great song, great sound, great singer(s). Tasteful and tasty instrumentation and fills. Production in the goldilocks zone, to my ears. Very, very nice.

Thank you! This was a fun project then and now. Glad you liked it!

J&B

#493467 - 09/29/18 10:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

That`s such a good melody! Janice & Floyd`s voices are both very " present" so whatever you did on the vocal processing is just right.
I enjoyed everything about this... the combination of cello with country fiddle is unusual and you made it work.
Another gem well worth the new shine you`ve all given it!

Robert

#493481 - 09/29/18 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: rayc]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rayc
The two voices sound perfect together.
Sweet song and sweet arrangement.

Thanks Ray! They have blended well since day one.

Bud

#493487 - 09/29/18 02:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Wow, this is a very nice piece of music. Wonderful vocals - and the mixing of the music is outstanding good.

Really, really enjoyed this!

Will

#493498 - 09/29/18 03:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Gorgeous song guys, top pro vocals!
Those multiple takes of the mandolin surely worked out!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#493513 - 09/29/18 04:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Sundance]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Loving it here - everything about this is so beautifully done.

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the nice words.

J&B

#493588 - 09/30/18 11:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Thanks for the repost, I was here back then but wasn't very active so missed it the first time.

First of all a very good song.

And man, those vocals sound fabulous! Two great singers of course, but the vocal treatment is superb. Are you using a bit more reverb than you normally do? I couldn't imagine them possibly sounding better, well done.

Killer job on the production and mix, one of your best IMHO.

Thanks Dave. I doubled the track and stacked the two. The top track has my usual amount of reverb while the bottom track amongst other things (one being a little "tape" saturation) adds a bit of delay. Something I've been experimenting with this year. All is added via Nectar 2.

Very glad you liked the production!!

J&B

#493591 - 09/30/18 11:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Fantastic, so nice to hear a perfect arrangement/mix, so simple but still very lush and the cello is distinguishable & nicely panned, something to chase after. Superb vocals. Has modern Irish folk feeling, reminds me of the Corrs.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#493594 - 09/30/18 12:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Another very nice song from you folks! A tip of the hat to everyone involved! Such a beautiful sound with crystal clear audio quality which is something you always seem to accomplish great performances also! Thanks, T

Edited by Torrey Bliss (09/30/18 12:04 PM)

#493631 - 09/30/18 03:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Loved your lyric idea, using the idea of trying, so imaginative, and common to everyone...and how you used the repeat of "I'm tryin'" melodically, very, very nice.

I noticed how you kept the chord chart very simple so that all the other elements--melody, vocal, instrumentation, could step forward and not be complicated by tricky changes...a real hallmark of sound composition judgement!

Everything about the track is top-notch! Congrats on a real jewel!

#493634 - 09/30/18 04:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
What a great sound! Am I talking about any one instrument, all of the instruments, or vocals? YES! It's clean and GREAT warmth.

I really like the variety of effects which, to me, makes things stand out while maintaining blend! What?! YES! Thank you for "going there" with the effects mix.

I did not hear the original; but I loved what I heard with this.

I will admit, when I first saw that you didn't include the lyrics I was a little bummed that you maybe forgot. Then in listening I was actually made aware of two things.

1-I couldn't read ahead of the melody...which is really nice; and actually pretty natural to how you normally might experience a song.

2-When it's mixed and performed really well, they aren't needed. You can simply understand every word! What a concept.

Vocals...I've got nothin' to say. They speak for themselves. (REALLY great!)

The instrumentation is what I love to hear. VERY present; never in the way. It's orchestrated, arranged and executed well. A really nice job in knowing "when to" and "when not to." It really makes all the difference.

I will stop gushing now.

Tryin'? Ah...no. Succeeded!
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#493640 - 09/30/18 04:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
What cool intro. Such a pretty vocal and harmony. Super collaboration. Production is first class. Just a lovely song...

#493724 - 10/01/18 10:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) [Re: Robertkc]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
That`s such a good melody! Janice & Floyd`s voices are both very " present" so whatever you did on the vocal processing is just right.
I enjoyed everything about this... the combination of cello with country fiddle is unusual and you made it work.
Another gem well worth the new shine you`ve all given it!

Robert

Thank you Robert. We also appreciate you mentioning the fiddle. I had originally something with more of a formal violin sound but could get it to work.

J&B

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is HERE!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2020- save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks and the just-released MultiStyles PAK 1) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows at: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Mac is Here!

Ci sono oltre 50 nuove funzionalità in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Ci sono miglioramenti ai RealTracks (RealTracks vocali dal suono più fluido, Ispessimento RealTracks, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" e MultiRiffs). La maggior parte dei RealDrums ora hanno RealCharts (con un'accurata Notazione di Batteria). C'è un nuovo Browser dell'artista RealTracks per trovare informazioni /bios/collegamenti/ elenchi di RealTracks su tutti gli artisti. Un nuovo Browser delle Funzionalità consente all'utente nuovo o "smemorato" di trovare e utilizzare facilmente la maggior parte delle funzionalità/tasti di scelta rapida/documenti da un'unica finestra. Equalizza Tempo consente di cambiare una canzone registrata in rubato in un tempo fisso. Stiramento del tempo/tono dell'audio migliorato (Elastique) incluso. Ci sono miglioramenti di SongPicker, Auto-Intro di Basso/Batteria o Batteria solo, 3.400 titoli aggiunti, miglioramenti di MusicXML, chitarra "per mancini" e "Vista Studente", miglioramenti del trascinamento della selezione, visualizzazione multi-finestra dell’analizzatore degli accordi audio e altro ancora!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO!!

Forum Stats
33251 Members
67 Forums
66307 Topics
568191 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
mick stevens, JanBB, haba16, BillyBeard, john2020

33251 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 244