Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#499610 - 11/05/18 10:26 AM [User Showcase] The Older We Get, The Better We Were
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Hi everybody,

no doubt about it, it's all his fault: Sixchannel, who has posted many goid songs here.

When I read his signature for the first time in 2016, I almost couldn't stop giggling: 'The older I get, the better I was". (C’mon, guys - when you crossed the 60s line that’s exactly what you feel...). So funny...! I immediately knew that this was a killer song title, and I wanted to carry it to extremes somehow.

And because I had just enjoyed the first meeting with my band colleagues from the 70s after 40 years, it was clear whom the first song I was going to write after almost ten years had to be all about. And because everybody had taken pictures I had footage galore to be used in the vid documenting what the ravages of time had done to us formerly so handsome guys...

'The Older We Get, The Better We Were' did not only become the first (hopefully) funny song I had ever written, it also became my first rock-style song without a horns arrangement. And the video became the first one that was almost completely put together of snippets from (CC-licensed) video clips I found in the web.

I’m sure that you will easily track down those little quotes of famous pop songs I hid in every verse.

As to the musical aspects:

RT683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RT1726:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm HonkyTonkJohn Ev 120
RT633:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanMuted Ev 120 (A:sy
RT845:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockPopping Ev 120

I wrote my own drums, using the MT-Power Drums VST, because I needed full control on the fills.

And I added a very primitive MIDI organ track to have some background chords

All (stunning) solos (guitar and sax) were generated by RB, but unfortunately I can’t trace which Soloist styles I used, because I changed the track names later on.

So here’s

The Older We Get, The Better We Were

The link will take you to the respective page of my web site where you’ll find mp3, video, lyrics and some info.

I hope you enjoy what I made out of sixchannel’s funny signiture motto. And please let me get away with any lexical and/or gramatical mistakes I will undoubtedly have made.

All the best,

Stefan

#499668 - 11/05/18 02:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Stefan,

A very clever song (again). Very well produced and very well mixed.

The video is really well done. A lot of fun to watch. (the drum parts were impressive!).

Really enjoyed that.

fj

#499671 - 11/05/18 02:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Stefan, this has the usual fun and consistent quality I've come to expect.
I, for one, can claim not to have attended a disco in the 70s or 80 but I get your drift.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#499687 - 11/05/18 03:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
Ausgezeichnet! I don't know which I like better, the song or the video. Lots of fun, great music, clever lyrics. I remember those days. Hahahaha!

#499692 - 11/05/18 04:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Stefan,

Ich stimme mit Ezekeil's Storm - ausgezeichnet überein! Du hast mit dieser Musikzusammensetzung hervorgeragt. Ich bin alt - fast 27 Jahren. Ich bin fast eine Antiquität!

As I said above, an excellent production! Very well written, arranged and performed. Pretty cool video, too! I really enjoyed my listen! Thanks for the smile on my face!

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#499698 - 11/05/18 04:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
What a clever song! Really liked your use of RealTracks here. Thanks for sharing!

#499736 - 11/05/18 10:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Well done song, clever video. Very enjoyable!

Plus, I learned the term "guitar wanker". smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#499775 - 11/06/18 05:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Online   content
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Legends in our own minds! Thank God there is self talk! We’re the only ones who appreciate our own greatness!

Loved the whole thing… Song concept, execution, production… Everything was first rate! Great then, great now!

#499803 - 11/06/18 07:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

What a tune! Love the upbeat groove, and the dancy feel-good vibes on this one. Definitely a fun tune, and the energy is incredible. I can imagine this sounding unreal in a live setting.

You outdid yourself on this one - thanks for sharing smile

#499813 - 11/06/18 08:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
What a treat! Your productions (audio and video) never disappoint!

After two listens we had to return and read the lyric a couple of times. Now this is clever.

Really enjoyable!

J&B

PS As an aging mountain bike racer I've often said "the older I get the faster I used to be..."

#499814 - 11/06/18 08:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

knocked it over the centerfield fence.

Great imagination and creativity on display.

Yeah, that was good

Edited by Guitarhacker (11/06/18 08:07 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#500068 - 11/07/18 12:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Big fun. Legends never die.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#500093 - 11/07/18 03:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Stefan,

Brilliant video and song. Excellent set of lyrics and very entertaining.
Some really great work.

Peter

#500338 - 11/09/18 12:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: floyd jane]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Stefan,

A very clever song (again). Very well produced and very well mixed.

The video is really well done. A lot of fun to watch. (the drum parts were impressive!).

Really enjoyed that.

fj

Thanks a lot, Floyd, I'm glad you liked it.

Stefan

#500341 - 11/09/18 12:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: rayc]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: rayc
Stefan, this has the usual fun and consistent quality I've come to expect.
I, for one, can claim not to have attended a disco in the 70s or 80 but I get your drift.

RayC,

thanks - I really appreciate your kind comment. As far as I'm concerned it's even worse than that: First time I went to a disco was in 1965 or 66. Just like Riff-Raff sang, 'It's astounding, time is fleeting, madness takes its toll'...

TC Stefan

#500342 - 11/09/18 01:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Ausgezeichnet! I don't know which I like better, the song or the video. Lots of fun, great music, clever lyrics. I remember those days. Hahahaha!

Thank you very much for your kind words. If you remember thsose days, too, we must be about the same age. And isn't it great that we still meet here and have fun instead of watching TV from dusk till dawan, crying in our beer?

Cheers,

Stefan

#500344 - 11/09/18 01:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Al-David]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Stefan,

Ich stimme mit Ezekeil's Storm - ausgezeichnet überein! Du hast mit dieser Musikzusammensetzung hervorgeragt. Ich bin alt - fast 27 Jahren. Ich bin fast eine Antiquität!

As I said above, an excellent production! Very well written, arranged and performed. Pretty cool video, too! I really enjoyed my listen! Thanks for the smile on my face!

Alan

Thanks a lot, Alan, especially für writing in German (which was about the last thing I would have expected here) - where did you learn it?

It makes me happy to read that people share my kind of humour and music - especially whn they're so young ;-)))): 27 was a typo, wasn't it?

I promise I will do my very best to put some more smiles on your face !

All the best,

Stefan

#500345 - 11/09/18 01:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
What a clever song! Really liked your use of RealTracks here. Thanks for sharing!

Hello Ember,

thank YOU for listening - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers, Stefan

#500346 - 11/09/18 01:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: dcuny]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Well done song, clever video. Very enjoyable!

Plus, I learned the term "guitar wanker". smile

Thanks, David, I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed the thing.

And I'm happy I could help you expanding your lexicon cool - well, the Urbann Dictionary was exactly where I found that expression. And funnily enough (or logically enough...?) there's a similar expression for that species of guitarists. And, now, from the distance of almost 50 years, I have to admit that I'm afraid, I was one of those... But I also remember that the girls couldn't tell the difference. Luckily...

Take care,

Stefan

#500347 - 11/09/18 01:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Older We Get, The Better We Were [Re: Tano Music]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Legends in our own minds! Thank God there is self talk! We’re the only ones who appreciate our own greatness!

Loved the whole thing… Song concept, execution, production… Everything was first rate! Great then, great now!

Thanks a lot, Tano, for not sticking to self talk, but sharing your thoughts ;-))) I really loved to read your funny comment, and I’m happy you enjoyed the thing.

All the best,

Stefan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac to the latest build 419 to correct any improper messages for Natural Arrangements, apply VST setting improvements, experience faster customized RealTracks and RealDrums Pickers, and fix a few other user-reported issues within the program.

You'll also receive the latest DAW Plugin version 2.12.15 update, with more than 30 additions and updates, including additional options within context menus, the ability to loop a set of bars by highlighting them, and more!

Learn more about this FREE update and download it here.

Let's Hear Your Band-in-a-Box® Songs!

Working on your first song in Band-in-a-Box®? Or maybe you've built up a great collection of songs... Make sure to share them to the User Showcase Forum where other program users post their original songs too! Receive feedback, build your audience, and connect with other enthusiastic program users - you'll be happy you did!

While you're there, make sure to listen to some of the other great songs posted!

Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Forum Stats
32860 Members
68 Forums
66176 Topics
562064 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
VK3KKP, lonnydude, Dale Hamm, MikeHannigan, chemistsworld

32859 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 172
VideoTrack 140