#503625 11/24/18 03:31 AM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
D
dmrodes Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
How do I record direct from my mixer into the PC?
Mackie DFX-6 Tape Out into the Mic input on the PC?
Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes that is correct.

I assume that you are using the computers audio, correct? If so you will get much better results using an external USB audio interface like Focusrite:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/focusrite-usb

Or a Behringer:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/audio-interfaces/behringer

There are others so feel free to google/bing.

If you get one be sure to get on with at least two inputs, one for your guitar and one for your mixer.

I hope this helped.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
Oh, I never gave adding a mixer a thought.

Cool!

...Deb

Journeyman
Journeyman
I have the PreSonus Audio Box. Works great. Marlo mentioned the mixer. I thought it was an interesting idea.

...Deb

D
dmrodes Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
I'm recording 2 vocals/keyboard/backing tracks - thus the mixer...
So I would need a 4 input audio interface?
And how would I adjust the highs/lows/etc... without a mixer?
I'm looking to get a few simple demo songs recorded - do I really need to spend hundreds of $$?
Thanks...

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: dmrodes
Thanks.

I would go to the line in (blue) if you have it.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can just record one track at a time in RealBand, do the keys track then the vocal and so on.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
If you do live recording of a band, you can save time and space using a mixer with USB. For less than $100 (actually just above the cost of OP's current mixer's used value.) In the < $150 price range, the unit will likely be limited to 44.1/16 but that is not a critical loss because the digital path will be cleaner and quieter than the audio path through the PC 1/8" soundcard. All of the major manufacturers have good quality option and similar features. Here is an example for a Behringer unit -

Behringer Xenyx q1202usb Mixer

To get the best quality transfer using your current mixer, you should get a two channel input/output audio interface such as the Behringer U-phoria UMC202HD for $79 or equivalent. This Beringer is the most cost effective solution that provides good preamps and converters.

Behringer U-phoria 202HD

If you record your band or yourself live, by far, the simplest, best and most convenient and rock solid set up is to use a Stand alone multitrack digital recorder. Zoom, Roland and Tascam offer a variety of models so you should take care in choosing the right one for your needs. It is worth the cost difference to bypass the two,four and six input units for one of the 8 input models such as the Z00m R16, R24 series or my personal recommendation is the Tascam DP-24. It is designed specifically for recording a band live and offers features none of the other brands unit do in regard to live recording. Behringer also offers a series of Stagebox PA systems that do not have any buttons, knobs or controls but are controlled by ethernet or wifi from an Ipad/Android tablet. These units can record a stereo recording on a flash drive as well as having usb audio interface capabilities. The XR18 is the only unit that has more than 2x2 recording with the capability of 18/18 usb in and out. Many of the new mixers with usb also have direct stereo recording to an SD card built in.

You have a lot of choices for multi track recording today.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dmrodes
I'm recording 2 vocals/keyboard/backing tracks - thus the mixer...
So I would need a 4 input audio interface?
And how would I adjust the highs/lows/etc... without a mixer?
I'm looking to get a few simple demo songs recorded - do I really need to spend hundreds of $$?
Thanks...

That depends on how you record. Are you recording the two vocals, and keyboard simultaneously? If so then you will need at least four inputs and the Behringer that Charlie suggested will work. If you record one at a time then the $29 Behringer that I previously suggested will work.

Unless you know for sure that you will never ever need more inputs I would buy the next audio interface with more inputs. That saves money in the long run.

The USB port on an audio interface is two way. That is your backing tracks will play through it without using a physical input.

I never use a mixer as an input. I use mine for output to my monitors, but I have my Internet computer, my music computer's audio interface and my turntable going through it.

One thing that has not been mentioned, I think, is that you should use a DAW. Each BiaB track and your input tracks can be put on different tracks giving you total control over them. You can add effects like EQ, compression, reverb, delay etc to each track thus optimizing them. Don't worry about tonal adjustments as EQ will you allow you to fine tune each track and mix. There are a lot of free and very inexpensive effects, DAWs and soft synths that are available so you don't have to pay a small fortune, at least not yet.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
"How do I record direct from my mixer into the PC?
Thanks."

This takes me back a few years to when I was trying to record two
tracks on a MacBook Pro with Garage Band. All I can do is tell
you a couple of things I learned. Never really got to to work right.
1) At that time, you could not record directly into the computer.
That is attempting to record an analog signal with a digital program.
I needed an audio interface that converted the analog signal to
a digital signal. I bought an Alesis. I ask anyone, "Has that changed?
Do they now make mixers that do the conversion?" I suspect they
might.
2) Apple sales assured me the MacBook Pro would work. I found
out later that it really didn't. I needed a 7200 rpm hard disk, first,
but more imprtant. I needed way more CPU power. That was the
days before multi core Intel. Also, I ended up buying a computer
with two HDs.
3) Garage Band was fine for people using loops and prerecorded
files. You don't hear much about either Garage Band or Final Cut
Pro today; but, at that time, both were something of the rage.

My point in writing this is that I would have saved time and maybe
even been successful had I assembled the equipment from known
specifications. Trying to piece it together on my own didn't work for me.

Last edited by edshaw; 11/26/18 05:39 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< That depends on how you record. Are you recording the two vocals, and keyboard simultaneously? If so then you will need at least four inputs and the Behringer that Charlie suggested will work. If you record one at a time then the $29 Behringer that I previously suggested will work. >>>

Mario is absolutely correct in the above statement in regard to recording to a DAW and placing each element (vocals, guitars, bass, and individual drum pieces - kick, snare, toms, cymbals and so on)of the recording on its own track. This gives you total control of your project.

But, in conjunction with the mixer you own, by recording through the mixer and sending the mixer output to the $29 Behringer inputs will record the two vocals, and keyboard simultaneously. Adding the audio interface offers you more benefits and options. You get the benefits and options of a mixer and an audio interface and the ability for the two to transfer tracks back and forth between the two and utilize the features of each.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Oh Boy! Some are a little challenged when it comes to the technical side of things. Yes Sir that would be me. Give me a few rough planks and I'll make a beautiful table or a few lengths of steel and I'll make make a great gate, but these computers and things, I really struggle with. I saved up the pennies, (after selling the table and gate), and bought a Alto Live 802 mixer. connected it to the computer with the USB cable. Connected a mic and guitar to the mixer. I wanted to play a BIAB home made track and record the vocal onto the audio track in BIAB. Using the headphones, out on the mixer, I can hear the track to sing along with, but can't quite work out how to just record the vocal into BIAB and not record the track at the same time. Seems the music I'm hearing from BIAB is also feeding back into BIAB along with the mic and being recorded along with the vocal onto the audio track. Good luck getting that sorted, later, right now I'll go make a new table instead and wait for those you know to step in and guide me. Take Care. Bryan.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< Using the headphones, out on the mixer, I can hear the track to sing along with, but can't quite work out how to just record the vocal into BIAB and not record the track at the same time. Seems the music I'm hearing from BIAB is also feeding back into BIAB along with the mic and being recorded along with the vocal onto the audio track. >>>

According to the manual:

32. USB In Source: When this button is raised, the signal sent to the mixer through its USB Port
will be sent to the Main Mix Outputs. When this button is depressed, the signal sent to the
mixer through its USB Port will be sent to the Control Room Outputs (Ctrl Out).

6. . USB Port: Use a standard USB cable to connect this USB port to a computer. The mixer
can send or receive audio to or from your computer through this connection.
• When sending audio, the main mix will be sent from the mixer to your computer.
• When receiving audio, it will be sent from your computer to the Main Mix Outputs
or Control Room Outputs (Ctrl Out), depending on the position of the mixer's USB
In Source button.

This means the BIAB audio is coming into your mixer and is leaving the mixer routed to the Mixer Main Mix output and returning to the computer and being recorded along with your vocals. The USB In button is not depressed and therefore is set to Main Mix. If you receive the BIAB audio routed to the control room by depressing the USB In button, the BIAB audio should not be routed through the Main Mix and recorded along with your vocal track which should be routed to the Main Mix.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 11/26/18 04:56 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Since I add one track at a time ...referring to my live stuff.... I don't use a mixer at all. In fact, I don't even own a mixer of any kind any more. I run everything straight to the Focusrite Saffire interface and that goes straight into the depths of the computer and software.

Everything is "in the box" so to speak.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
A mixer with USB should act just like a USB interface with the added mixer feature(s).
Herb uses a Focusrite interface .. OP is using a mixer.

Either way, there will a way to record vocals without the backing tracks .. Focusrite just uses a software mixer (or setting) to accomplish this where the OP uses a hardware mixer, but in the end his USB to the computer should be able to record vocals separate. Looks like Charlie went as far as to investigate the mixer for him just above Herb's post.
Nice.

Hope it results in 'real-time monitoring', with no latency.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
The OP should set the USB In button depressed to have the BIAB routed to the Ctrl Out. Then he will set his headphones to monitor Ctrl OUt and monitor the BIAB audio from the mixer and there will be no latency. This should also remove the BIAB audio that's coming out of the computer from the Main Mix going from the mixer back to the computer through the USB and separating the audio from the vocals.

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Many many Thanks. I'm going to follow the guidance and see how it goes. Just as soon as I clean off all the sawdust. Then I'll drive the grand kids crazy with the old Cowboy songs. There's hope, thanks again.

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Thanks Charlie. That button does work the way you said. No more track going back into the recording. Now I have to work out why or how I can hear myself while I'm trying to sing. You see I was that kid who just couldn't sing. When I tried out for the choir they made me the curtain janitor, when I sang in the Sunday school the teacher said shhhhhh and sent me to fetch something which I could never find anyway, now I suspect she just wanted me gone until they finished singing. Well things have just got worse in that department with old age. If I can't hear myself properly I'm lost. Anyway I gave up on that dream a long time ago. Take care.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Glad it's working out at least partially for you so far. The issue about hearing your vocals is another routing issue. You are going to have to experiment a bit to get it straightened out because the Alto live 802 manual and the live 802 sales information contradict each other. As you see from what I copied from the manual in the above post, the manual indicates output (send) from the mixer is only the Main Out.

The marketing information states: "USB Audio Interface
Record your mix directly to a Mac or PC with a single USB connection. Live 802's built-in USB port allows engineers, producers, and performers to convert two channels of 24-bit audio (Main Mix or Sub Mix 1/2) straight to a computer. Record live performances, band practices, theater performances, speaking events, and any other live sound event onto your computer for additional editing, mixing, and post-production. The USB connection is bi-directional, enabling sound files stored on your computer to be streamed to and played through Live 802."

The marketing information is the normal expectation of USB outputs for USB mixers in the price range of your device. The manual single output is not. Which one is correct? I suspect the marketing information. But you'll have to experiment to determine which is correct.

The result you want is to send your vocals (or vocals plus guitar or whatever sum of the mixer inputs you want out to the computer) and monitor the BiAB audio mixed with the desired mixer audio. There is some ambiguity in terminology with your device. The manual does not address what the mix is that goes to the Ctrl Out choice. The Ctrl Out is a different output from the monitor out physically and we know it is not a duplicate of the Main Outs. The mixer also has Insert outputs that are meant to send a line level signal to an external device. The Monitor (Aux 1) send has physical returns and a fader so my guess is the Ctrl Out setting follows the Monitor signal. To check this, set your headphones to the Ctrl Out setting and turn up the Aux 1 send on your vocal channel and turn up the monitor fader and listen for your vocals. If you hear your vocals then since you now have the BIAB vocals on the Ctrl Out setting you can mix your vocals with the BIAB audio and monitor your recording from the mixer headphones while sending just the main mix output with your vocals back to the computer and audio input of BIAB.

The bottom line is you can accomplish recording your vocals and monitor your recording correctly with the equipment you have but you have to find the right combination of settings on the mixer between the Ctrl output and Main Mix output.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 11/28/18 04:20 AM.

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Thank you Charlie, for taking the time to help. I never even thought about trying that AUX line. I'll go fiddle some more. Take Care,

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,688
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200