You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#504012 - 11/25/18 05:40 PM [User Showcase] NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Hello forum friends. Thanks so much for the warm response to The Next Big Thing. It was a thrill to write one with Floyd, one of my favorite writers! I got the idea for this song from an instrumental Al David posted last Fall. I loved the lonely city feel with the solo trumpet. I stole his band (again!) and wrote this. Al posts some wonderful instrumentals. Some great vocals also but I can't steal them as they're already written. Hope you enjoy. I encourage all comments......you are my only audience. Take care all. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/meandthemoon

ME AND THE MOON

I’m alone in the darkness
I’m alone on the street
In this city of strangers
That I never will meet

These first days of November
Bring that ominous chill
That cold isolation
That strangles the will

That conjures the feeling of lost and alone
A tender heart in this city of stone
It seems my only friend now is that cold, silver balloon
Oh tonight, it’s just me and the moon

Once there was light
In this dreary place
The sun shone bright
On her beautiful face
Those eyes, those lips
Those days were eclipsed much too soon

I’m alone in the darkness
I’m adrift on the sea
I’m consumed by the hunger
For some warm company

I don’t know where she is now
Probably far, far away
On some tropical island
Where the tall palm trees sway

And the scent of her perfume is locked in my brain
The sweetest mixture of pleasure and pain
Once we danced closely to some sweet lover’s tune
But tonight, its just me and the moon
Oh tonight, it’s just me…….me and the moon

#504015 - 11/25/18 06:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Greg

I'll kick of the reviews of this stunning performance by saying the song is superb.
A stellar vocal, brilliant backing tracks (loved the trumpet) and a great set of moody lyrics.
Deserves to be heard by more than the lucky listeners on this forum.

Peter

#504016 - 11/25/18 06:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

I read the lyrics and said wow! What a write! But I had no idea how good it was until I listened. Brilliantly done! I love the use of the extended solo. Hammers home the feeling. Loved it all. Among your best, Tom

#504020 - 11/25/18 06:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Greg,
very wholesome and soulful tune.
Everything moves very nicely. I am traveling and my headphones are not studio grade, but seems vocals sit perfectly!

Thank you,
Misha.

#504021 - 11/25/18 06:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Greg,

I am so honored to have inspired this piece of musical magic. I am humbled beyond my ability to properly respond. I think the song you're referring to is "Any Other Day".

Simply marvelous! Such a beautiful song and holy smoke - that vocal. The velvet of your voice beautifully spreads itself over the lyric and hovers magically over the perfect combination of backing tracks. I wish I knew all the right superlatives that apply. Regardless, this is just so good and pro all the way. Love the trumpet outro. You are one of the best friends music has.

Wishing you the very best.

Alan

PS: The world should be your audience. You deserve it - and so does the world.

Edited by Al-David (11/25/18 07:00 PM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#504023 - 11/25/18 06:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Awesome vocal Greg. Very cool lyrics. The trumpet was so good in this song. This song should be on iTunes. Professional quality Greg. You so many first rate songs. This one is at the top of the list as well.

#504025 - 11/25/18 07:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: The Heartland....Kansas
chulaivet1966 Offline
Expert

Loc: The Heartland....Kansas
I'm happy to echo ALL comments already stated.

Good mood setting with instrumentation and temp.
Great vocal that was relaxed and confidently performed/delivered.
Very well done on all counts....I enjoyed the listen.

Back to it.....

#504062 - 11/26/18 04:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
A big WOW from me!

This checks all the boxes, great write, wonderful music (love the trumpet!), and man, that vocal!

Really excellent work, Greg, doesn't get any better than this.

#504064 - 11/26/18 04:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Greg,

This is stunning... I would love to have a whole album like this.

Absolutely the best!

Bob

#504093 - 11/26/18 08:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Great work on this smile Love the smoky vibes on it. Really easy on the ears, and nicely catchy. It is perfectly relaxed, and calming to listen to. Brings to mind imagery of drinking a cup of coffee indoors on a rainy day - smooth and peaceful.

Really well done - thanks for sharing!

#504097 - 11/26/18 09:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Greg,

Your vocals are invariably excellent; on this song you`ve raised the bar!
You have a feel for this jazzier style- so relaxed and a bit of smoke in your voice.
Al does write some very good instrumentals that invite lyrics... your inspiration has resulted in a fine song.

Robert

#504100 - 11/26/18 09:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
"you are my only audience. "

Love that line from you, I think it's the same for most all of us.

It makes me appreciate this group all the more.

Super arrangement, beautiful sound

Your voice works so well on a smokey ballad like this (and what a voice!)

like early Sting (post Police) he could a song this good now-a-days

excellent!

Kenny

#504153 - 11/26/18 01:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
REALLY enjoyed this one Dave. Fabulous production with equally fabulous vocals. Great job

#504174 - 11/26/18 02:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Hey Greg,

This is really gorgeous. It kind of reminds me of Sting a little. A lot, actually. Both lyrically and musically--and even vocally!

And that's a good thing.

Great job!!

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#504184 - 11/26/18 03:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Greg,

You know how much I love this song...

"And the scent of her perfume is locked in my brain
The sweetest mixture of pleasure and pain
Once we danced closely to some sweet lover’s tune
But tonight, its just me and the moon"

An absolutely GORGEOUS write. I could quote every line in the song, but let the 4 above suffice... GORGEOUS!!!

The mix on this might be your best ever. Everything in the right place. The drums sound like they were recorded in a "just right live room". The bass is warm and punchy at the same time - buttery. The piano, sweet and smokey. Super trumpet!!

Your vocal is amazing.

This is top-notch, professional from every angle.

WOW. WOW. WOW!!

fj

#504186 - 11/26/18 03:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
You've got that smokey vibe going... Hopefully sung once the air finally cleared up over there! wink

As floyd said so eloquently: WOW!

The vocals are perfect, the arrangement is exquisite, lyrics stellar and I love the trumpet solo.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#504266 - 11/27/18 12:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Expert

Loc: Washington State
Greg Johnson...

There's some heavy-duty romantic balladeering of the exquisitely bluesy and jazzy kind in your song, "Me and the Moon". I'd love to communicate the pleasure I experienced while listening to it by comparing it to popular standards of similar genre recorded by famous performers, but then I thought that they might not live up to the the "standard" that you set with your song.

What a noirish, elegantly arranged production this is! The mood is deliciously cool and sultry. Your lonely, wounded vocal teases the after-midnight poetry out of the lyrics like a magician performing amongst the shadows of his secrets.

I wish I was in an audience so you could watch me get to my feet and applaud you along with the other patrons as you take bow, after bow, after bow!

Magnificent.

LOREN

#504355 - 11/27/18 08:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
"That conjures the feeling of lost and alone
A tender heart in this city of stone
It seems my only friend now is that cold, silver balloon
Oh tonight, it’s just me and the moon"

Man of man, only if we could write half as good as this song!

As always with your songs all the accolades have quickly been exhausted by the time we comment smile

Your vocals are always standout and this is over the top standout. And did you ever put together a "band" to support it! The piano and trumpet players sound like folks you've worked with for years and honed it all to perfection.

Just wonderful!

J&B

#504470 - 11/27/18 03:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
This is an absolutely gorgeous production. Vocal is superb! Melody is pleasing.

#504691 - 11/28/18 10:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Me and the Moon [Re: PeterF]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Greg

I'll kick of the reviews of this stunning performance by saying the song is superb.
A stellar vocal, brilliant backing tracks (loved the trumpet) and a great set of moody lyrics.
Deserves to be heard by more than the lucky listeners on this forum.

Peter

Thanks so much Peter for those very kind words! Take care. Greg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is HERE!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2020- save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks and the just-released MultiStyles PAK 1) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows at: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Mac is Here!

Ci sono oltre 50 nuove funzionalità in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Ci sono miglioramenti ai RealTracks (RealTracks vocali dal suono più fluido, Ispessimento RealTracks, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" e MultiRiffs). La maggior parte dei RealDrums ora hanno RealCharts (con un'accurata Notazione di Batteria). C'è un nuovo Browser dell'artista RealTracks per trovare informazioni /bios/collegamenti/ elenchi di RealTracks su tutti gli artisti. Un nuovo Browser delle Funzionalità consente all'utente nuovo o "smemorato" di trovare e utilizzare facilmente la maggior parte delle funzionalità/tasti di scelta rapida/documenti da un'unica finestra. Equalizza Tempo consente di cambiare una canzone registrata in rubato in un tempo fisso. Stiramento del tempo/tono dell'audio migliorato (Elastique) incluso. Ci sono miglioramenti di SongPicker, Auto-Intro di Basso/Batteria o Batteria solo, 3.400 titoli aggiunti, miglioramenti di MusicXML, chitarra "per mancini" e "Vista Studente", miglioramenti del trascinamento della selezione, visualizzazione multi-finestra dell’analizzatore degli accordi audio e altro ancora!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO!!

Forum Stats
33251 Members
67 Forums
66301 Topics
568179 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
mick stevens, JanBB, haba16, BillyBeard, john2020

33251 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 243