You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#504946 - 11/29/18 07:30 AM [User Showcase] Once In A Lifetime
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

This song was started at about the same time as my last post. It's a darker look at things.

The instruments are all BB with RT's except the Tele.... lead mostly. See if you can figure out who I was attempting to channel on that lead.

Once In A Lifetime

This was a combo of the hard rock styles and baritone vibrato guitar. The tracks and style are:

Bass: 1418
Drums: Southern even
B3: 689
Guitar 642, 639, 1042, 2444

Live tele on the lead solo and fills to the ending.

And the style is Diesel: heavy southern rock

The lyrics:

Steel and concrete all around shadows move across the ground
Sounds of silence on the radio flashing lights to tell me where to go
Darkness on the city streets, Lovers tangled up in sheets
Windows wide open to beat the summer heat oh the summer heat

Once in a lifetime, someone special comes along
Once in a lifetime, you write that magic song
Once in a lifetime you really get to live
Once in a lifetime

Lonely people everywhere, living life, don't really care
Content to simply sit and stare, at nothing ..... at nothing
Day by day life passes by, amazing how time just flies
Pleasure and pain are just the same.. in the blink of an eye in the blink of an eye

I used a few things on this that I don't usually use.
Sonic expander on the mains, and multivoice chorus on the guitar. The dirty sounding beat freqs on the second part of the solo are intentional and done by letting certain strings ring while holding a very close note on a different string. I liked it so I left it as opposed to redoing it clean.

Comments as always are appreciated. The writing, the mix, the playing, the weather....

Edit: Put on some nice cans and crank this baby up

Edited by Guitarhacker (11/29/18 10:41 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#504969 - 11/29/18 08:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Well done Guitarhacker, what a marvelous song I might say! The different elements really glue well together and very soothing to hear. Excellent guitar riffs too. Great work!

#504992 - 11/29/18 10:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
I would definitely be interested to know which RealTracks you used! I love being able to see how people utilize which RealTracks. This sounds really great, though! You should definitely be proud of this one.

Thanks for sharing!

#504997 - 11/29/18 10:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Joe: glad you like this. Thanks for the compliment on the licks.... I liked this solo as well.

Ember: I edited the main post to include the tracks

Bass: 1418
Drums: Southern even
B3: 689
Guitar 642, 639, 1042, 2444

And the style is Diesel: heavy southern rock

#505040 - 11/29/18 01:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
A very good song Herb... your verses elegantly lead right into the chorus... I can't find any wasted words on this one... BTW I like that line "Lovers tangled up in sheets"... the imagery is excellent... Of course, your songs always seem so well written.

#505059 - 11/29/18 01:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Herb,

A cool vibe on this one. Nice combination of guitars. The organ sounds good too.

You did a good job on the vocals (I thought they could use a touch more warmth). Nice leads.

When turned up loud (per your suggestion), the drums get kind of crispy, and therefore, compete with the vocal a bit. So I think a warmer drum mix would suit the style.

I enjoyed the song. A nice "dark rock" write. (kinda Neil Young-ish)

fj

#505102 - 11/29/18 05:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Very, very good song!

I'll say something that will probably sound a bit irrational or even crazy, but your song got me thinking of Uriah Heep and some of their best songs ...like Stealing... I know it is very different, but still... (well I am probably just mad)...

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it!
Will

#505170 - 11/30/18 05:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Sounds good Herb! The guitars are great and you did a fine job on the vocals. The bg vocals work well. I liked the write and the production. Good one, Tom

#505232 - 11/30/18 09:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Jim... thanks for listening. I always try to get good imagery into the lyrics. To me, that's the purpose of lyrics.

Floyd... I used some FX on the vox as well as the drums. Drums had a slapback as did the vox. Very low level. Neil Young.... I'll take that any day.

Will... Uriah Heep..... Stealing.... now I'm gonna have to dig out my black vinyl and have a listen. UH was an influential band in my early days. Easy Living was a favorite. Thanks for listening and I'm glad it triggered that memory.

Tommy... Thanks. Always good to hear your comments on my tunes.

#505604 - 12/01/18 11:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Floyd beat us to the comment...yeah it has a Neil Young feel which is a bit ironic given that it has some Southern Rock tracks smile

It all works for us -- particularly the vocal FX.

Nice!

J&B

#505830 - 12/02/18 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Janice & Bud.... thanks for dropping in and setting a while.

I don't often use FX on vox or guitars but I felt this one needed something extra....

Thanks again.

#506212 - 12/03/18 11:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Once In A Lifetime [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Excellent Herb!! Great production/arrangement. Some great dark lyrics. And, you really make that guitar sing ala David Gilmour! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

PG Music News
New Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Add-ons are Here!

We're excited to say that we've just released some amazing new RealStyles with XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows or Mac!

XPro Styles PAK 2 includes 100 fresh new RealStyles that will up the utility and fun factor of the Band-in-a-Box® Pro version by adding 25 rock and pop styles, 25 jazz styles, 25 country styles, and 25 folk styles! XPro Styles PAK 3 goes even further - not only is it packed 100 new RealStyles, it includes 35 RealTracks that are not included with a Pro or MegaPAK purchase - adding even more versatility to what these can do! Sink your teeth into 25 rock/pop styles, 25 jazz/funk styles, 25 country/bluegrass styles, and 25 styles featuring a mix of genres ranging from high energy electro swing to ambient grooves and everything in between.

With the new Xtra Styles PAK 13, we're going to make the number thirteen lucky again! There are 200 new RealStyles for Rock/Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter. Some examples of what's included: Mellow soundtrack rock, Americana country lullaby, western swing big band, coffee house jazz waltz, jazzy jump blues, songwriter gospel ballad, fast indie rock, vintage clav funk, country pop march, and much, much more!

And they're all ON SALE until July 15th! Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs or XPro Styles PAKs for only $29 per PAK (regular price $49 each)!

Purchase XPro Styles PAKs
Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs
Learn more & watch our video demonstrations

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac is here!

There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 13, XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase a Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages! For more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!), upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

How to: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Did you know that you can have multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box® open on your computer? There was a conversation about this recently on our Forum, so we put together this video explaining how: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

How to: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track (RealBand)

Using RealBand and wondering how to replace a MIDI track with an audio track?

We show you how in our RealBand®: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track
video!

How to: Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Do you want to record your MIDI keyboard into Band-in-a-Box®, but aren't sure where to start? This quick video is what you've been looking for! How to Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows.

User Guide: Working with MIDI

How to: Why Does My Song Keep Looping in Band-in-a-Box®?

Your Band-in-a-Box® song is looping, and you don't want it to - what do you do?

Fortunately, this is a program setting that can be adjusted - see how this is done: Band-in-a-Box®: Why Does My Song Keep Looping?

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

(Additional Song Preferences you might also find useful: Global Song Overrides)

How to: Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Did you know that you can copy the chords and other details of your Band-in-a-Box song into a document? We show you how in this video: How to Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Learn more about this feature: Online Manual - Copy/Paste Chords as Simple Text

Forum Stats
36184 Members
64 Forums
74799 Topics
656923 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
JuanGonzales, hhendric, mariusnoah, Khalid Ali, RIASAGE

36184 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 244