Options
Index
#505355 - 11/30/18 03:02 PM [User Showcase] That's The Way Life Goes
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

That's The Way Life Goes

A new one - bit of a duet with us both doing some singing.

Leon - Lyrics and vocal
I sing and play the guitar.

The Band:
RealTracks in song: ~2475:Bass, Acoustic, HeldSimple Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1543:Synth Pad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: ~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1537:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveArp Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: ~368:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 065
RealDrums in Song: CountryEven16: a: Brushes b: Snare, HiHat

That’s The Way Life Goes

You don’t want me and that’s OK
That’s the way life goes
There’s nothing more you have to say
That’s the way life goes

No one has to be the bad guy
No one has to take the blame
Everybody has to get by
Any way they can

I had my tilt at piety
When I was very young
Even tried sobriety
But that wasn’t any fun

Everybody has to get by
Any way they can

They were married in the springtime
She wore flowers in her hair
I wished her every happiness
And smiled through my despair

Everybody has to get by
Any way they can

I did my share of drinking
And crying in my beer
But in time I just moved on
Found someone else to care

Everybody has to get by
Any way they can

Hello stranger, how do you do?
Did I kiss you long ago?
Did I swear I’d be forever true?
Were you sad to see me go?

Everybody has to get by
Any way they can

#505365 - 11/30/18 04:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Journeyman

"PeterF", Leon & all...

Listening to your song, "That's the Way Life Goes", I felt like I was in the midst of some huge audience in a colossal performance space, with all us thousands of listeners united in our hearts and souls as we stood entranced in silent empathy with the melancholy lyrics and forgiving music.

That comment applies to the production, the sound of which is as spacious a forest, and yet as intimate as family members gathered around a relative about to blow out the candles on a birthday cake after someone turns off the lights.

The comment also applies to the backward-looking lyrics that seem to describe the subject of the song taking stock of his past decisions, the consequences of those decisions, and resignedly accepting them, but with an open door to future happiness, if only...

Major impact, here, folks, emotionally, technically, musically, lyrically...it's all there.

I bow to your creativity and sensitivity!

LOREN

P.S> Was that Ms. Janice's harmonizing voice I heard in the mix?

Edited by bluage (11/30/18 04:51 PM)

#505371 - 11/30/18 05:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia USA
I most certainly enjoyed this piece. It brought a smile to my face because of its beauty. I like the build in instrumentation into the gentle swell at the end. Great guitar playing and memorable vocals!

#505383 - 11/30/18 07:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hey there edshaw, this was wonderful! I found this very easy to listen and the mix sounds well polished too. Good use of EFX on the guitar. Great effects on the vocals. Thanks for sharing!

#505426 - 12/01/18 02:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Very nice Peter and Leon!

lots of good lines, my favorite:

"I had my tilt at piety
When I was very young
Even tried sobriety
But that wasn’t any fun"

Nice arrangement, very effective starting off with just the acoustic. Nice change into the melodic guitar solo at 1:49, and I really like that slide up thing you do a couple of times at the end, very cool.

Enjoyed the listen.

Blue Attitude Website

#505443 - 12/01/18 03:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

"I had my tilt at piety
When I was very young
Even tried sobriety
But that wasn’t any fun"

Yea Brilliant !.

#505449 - 12/01/18 04:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Lovely song Peter and Leon. Vocals were just super. Guitar was exceptional Peter so complimentary to the song. Just fit perfectly. Did I here a little whammy pedal in there. Very cool effect.

#505518 - 12/01/18 07:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I like the song. Reminded me of John Prine a bit, but better.

Like how it built as it went along. The key change at the 1:45 point was a nice surprise.

I feel that the doubled vocals were a distraction. Especially up in the first few verses. I liked them in the chorus before that really nice guitar solo. Kudo's on the solo and the slide work.

When you double the vox, try to get the parts closer to the same phrasing on such an intimate song. They came in at a strange place. Partly into the verse. After the key change, they seemed to work and fit and sound better. Seems you took the time to sync the phrasing better. That made a world of difference.

That song is one that the audience would sit in stunned silence at the end for 5 seconds or so before erupting in thunderous applause at what they just experienced.

I like it.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#505547 - 12/01/18 09:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Peter & Leon,

Love the gentle reflection in these lyrics and the slow build of the production( with that fine guitar solo to end).
I`d agree with Guitarhacker that the doubled vocal coming in on the verse is distracting- sounds good on the chorus... and that`s a very cool singalong chorus!

Robert

#505562 - 12/01/18 09:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Peter and Leon,

what a great listen!

a wonderful song, like the buildup, the guitar solo, and esp. the lyrics

I don't know if you're very familiar with Mark Knopfler's recent songs

but I couldn't help but think of him as a comparison (and of course I love his work)

i enjoyed this a lot,

Kenny

#505621 - 12/01/18 12:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Peter & Leon,

Cool song. Good write - the chorus in particular...excellent.

Really nice arrangement/production. Terrific build. The soaring guitar a perfect ending...nice.

A very enjoyable listen.

fj

#505652 - 12/01/18 01:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: bluage]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bluage
"PeterF", Leon & all...

Listening to your song, "That's the Way Life Goes", I felt like I was in the midst of some huge audience in a colossal performance space, with all us thousands of listeners united in our hearts and souls as we stood entranced in silent empathy with the melancholy lyrics and forgiving music.

That comment applies to the production, the sound of which is as spacious a forest, and yet as intimate as family members gathered around a relative about to blow out the candles on a birthday cake after someone turns off the lights.

The comment also applies to the backward-looking lyrics that seem to describe the subject of the song taking stock of his past decisions, the consequences of those decisions, and resignedly accepting them, but with an open door to future happiness, if only...

Major impact, here, folks, emotionally, technically, musically, lyrically...it's all there.

I bow to your creativity and sensitivity!

LOREN

P.S> Was that Ms. Janice's harmonizing voice I heard in the mix?

Loren thanks for the delightful review you certainly have a way with word. And the harmony was not Janice this time just me doing my best Neil Young impersonation.

Peter

#505654 - 12/01/18 02:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Thank you for letting me hear your finely crafted tune... I enjoyed the listen.

#505668 - 12/01/18 02:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Peter & Leon, Great song! Some fine lyrics and for crying out loud Peter why are you not singing more. Those first verses were sung with commitment and sound so very good to my ears. I agree with Herb that the doubled vocals were distracting. The guitar solo was super and the whammy pedal surely did work. I really did enjoy it very much despite the doubling, Tom

#505708 - 12/01/18 04:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Peter / Leon,

This is a great write... I love the mix of both voices and the clarity of the mix.

Perfect all around.

Bob

#505718 - 12/01/18 04:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Denmark
Nice song, Peter! Pleasant to listen to. I really liked the chorus.

Thank you for sharing!
Will

#505880 - 12/02/18 09:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Germany
Hi Peter and Leon,

this is just another wonderful song of yours. So well-sung and played, great changes I would never have expected. Very appealing lyrics again. And like always: great soloing, Peter. Love it !!!!

Cheers,

Stefan

#506013 - 12/02/18 07:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I most certainly enjoyed this piece. It brought a smile to my face because of its beauty. I like the build in instrumentation into the gentle swell at the end. Great guitar playing and memorable vocals!

Thanks a lot appreciate the comments.

Peter

#506014 - 12/02/18 07:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: Joe -PG Music]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hey there edshaw, this was wonderful! I found this very easy to listen and the mix sounds well polished too. Good use of EFX on the guitar. Great effects on the vocals. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Joe

Peter

#506037 - 12/02/18 10:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: That's The Way Life Goes [Re: PeterF]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: PeterF
And the harmony was not Janice this time just me doing my best Neil Young impersonation.

Peter

Dear "PeterF"...

Well, your Neil Young impersonation complemented the song quite well. I agree with "tommyad" when he made the comment "...and for crying out loud Peter why are you not singing more." Your singing voice is laid-back, straightforward, clear and warm, and it compelled me to listen to the lyrics more closely. It's a storyteller's voice.

LOREN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Polish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Istnieje wiele ekscytujących nowych funkcji w Band-in-a-Box 2019!

Band-in-a-Box® z RealBand 2019: Pakiety
Band-in-a-Box® z RealBand 2019 dla Windows : Nowych Funkcji

Spanish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 para Windows® está aquí!

Nuevas características
Todos los Paquetes

Video - Repeats & Endings Dialog Overview for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

In our latest video, video we go over the Repeats & Endings Dialog within Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Learn more...

This video includes information on repeats, 1st/2nd endings, dc al coda, ds al coda, dc al fine, ds al fine, and Fake Sheet Mode.

Testimonial - Woody Piano Shack's Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box®

Check out our latest Video Testimonial from Woody of Woody Piano Shack! Woody uses Band-in-a-Box primarily as a training tool within his YouTube channel and private lessons. He's been a Band-in-a-Box user since the Atari ST days, and is very impressed with the evolution of our program - watch and you'll see! Click here...

Video - Audio Harmony Overview in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

We've updated our Audio Harmony Overview video using the latest Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Windows program! Watch now...

Learn even more about Audio Harmonies using the Online Manual, here.

Danish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 til Windows® er klar!

Pakker
Nye funktioner

Dutch Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 voor Windows® is hier!

Pakketten
Nieuwe Functies

Forum Stats
29497 Members
60 Forums
58134 Topics
488375 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Bill Shafer, KLB, Emily, Tigz, Pauldordt

29497 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)