Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#524051 02/12/19 06:31 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Words

I wrote this song probably 8 or so years ago for someone I know who had taken his eye off the ball momentarily, that's about as much as I'll reveal. And the situation was corrected and everything is more than hunky-dory now. Not necessarily due to this song. He's aware I wrote it for him, but he wasn't even aware of the song until after all this passed. It was just the inspiration for the song.

It's another hybrid BIAB - Pre-BIAB arrangement. It was pretty simple to start with. The guitar you hear in the beginning is me, and it's the "riff" (probably an overstatement) that kicked the whole idea for the song off. My first recording IS out there, when I did it on my old BOSS-600 - just me and the guitar. I'd applied an effect to the guitar with this kind of hard-echo that actually made it sound like a chugging-train high-hat beat, but it was all an artifact of the guitar, and I liked it - but the performance and recording left much to be desired.

I did it again a few years later, in Reaper, with the same riff, FX dialed back, and a pattern picking track (me again) and I programmed a midi drum track which was in keeping with the slap-back "ghost drums" the guitar FX in the original recording had suggested - but is much fuller and has changeups.

Still, not up to snuff with my post BIAB productions. And I have a soft spot for this song. And my wife really likes it. So, time to polish it up for the upcoming CD.

This new version I kept my original riff and the drums, swallowed my pride a bit and dropped my pattern picking track in favor of one from BIAB (1526:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopPowerPushA-B Ev 120 - seriously, I can barely call myself a guitar player). I also added a bass track(1523:Bass, Electric, PopPowerA-B Ev 120), and a piano track(1535:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPowerPushA-B Ev 120), which I think adds a bit of a spiritual aspect while keeping the energy up. Re-did all the vocals, adding some backing vocals. It's a very repetitive song so I needed to break it up a bit. I looked and looked in BIAB Real Tracks Solo Guitar options for something that fit the feel.

I settled on this (2203:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopPromiseBrent Ev16 100), though at first I thought it a bit over-the-top. But it's always been a high-energy song, and with a little slicing and dicing and re-arranging of bits and pieces, I have an arrangement I think works.

Words
(Phil Leith/Walking Bird Music)

"I Love You" ain't just three words
That you can forget about once they've been heard
Actions speak louder than words
So come on, boy, this is your chance

"I Do" ain't just two words
That turn life to a fairy tale once they've been heard
So show her a little romance

Our Baby ain't just two words
He's our little miracle, the center of our Earth
So show him your love every day

Sometimes Words really do hurt
We say we don't mean 'em but they start a slow burn
The ashes crumble, it's too late too learn
To show her how you really feel

So watch what you're doing and think about her first
You can't hide it despite what you've heard
It's love and trust makes your house a home

"I'm Sorry" ain't just two words
That make everything better once they've been heard
So show her a little romance

"I Love You" ain't just three words
That you can forget about once they've been heard
So get up on your feet and dance!

Phil Leith #524097 02/12/19 10:41 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Phil,

A good song. A well thought out lyric and a really nice melody. Very Catchy.

A good arrangement. The drop at 1:50 is well done. Very pleasant vocals. And a good mix.

An enjoyable listen.

fj

Phil Leith #524172 02/12/19 04:39 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent backtrack Phil. Super vocal and lyric. Well done. Harmonies were excellent as well

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Phil Leith #524224 02/12/19 11:56 PM
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Impressive song...
Strong lyrics with good hooks & appeal...
Reinforcing the message "Actions speak louder than words"...
I enjoyed the listen!

Jim
†=☮&♥
Phil Leith #524278 02/13/19 06:28 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - what a tune! Very impressive, I agree with Jim. It showcases a strong understanding of songwriting. Really powerful vocals and poignant lyrics that help them stand out. It flows magnificently well, and it perfectly as as well.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
floyd jane #524318 02/13/19 09:49 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, Floyd, that means a lot to me.

I really enjoy your compositions. I think "Mistakes" is still my favorite -- I need to go through your "catalog" out there on SoundCloud and really dig into more of your work.

Scott C #524320 02/13/19 09:50 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, Scott. As I'm sure you know, songs are a little bit like your kids ... always want to give them the best treatment I can.

Jim #524321 02/13/19 09:51 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Enjoyed the listen -- hey, can't ask for a better compliment. That's kind of what it's about. :-)

Deryk - PG Music #524325 02/13/19 09:56 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Deryk, when it comes from the heart, you pour a lot into it.

I ran across my first draft of this song. The heart was there, but the flow wasn't.

Like most of my songs, they start out with a basic shape, and they get re-worked and honed over time as I play them, make recordings, listen to them, and work on spots that seem awkward.

There's ONE awkward spot in this song that I hear every time I listen, but I can't think of a better way to say it -- so like I've done from the beginning when I hit a spot like that, I just do my best to "sell" it! :-D

Phil Leith #524373 02/13/19 03:00 PM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow, the lyrics seem super profound and cleverly written. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
Phil Leith #524380 02/13/19 04:22 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As an English teacher, I really appreciate good lyrics in a song. I really like the repetition of "words" and the change you bring to the start of each verse. Great lyrics -- they caused me to eagerly anticipate the content of each verse. Good melody and singing. Yes, very catchy--keeps me humming.

Phil Leith #524531 02/14/19 11:35 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ezekiel's Storm ...

Thanks, I'm a lyric guy, too. A good song can have a catchy tune, or good lyrics, true. You can have one without the other and have it be enjoyable (up to a point).

But the very best songs have both!

Phil Leith #524576 02/14/19 04:13 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great write

very nice vocals

a catchy song

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

Phil Leith #524698 02/15/19 02:57 PM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Phil, nice work on this! Really enjoyed the overall chord progression. The vocals are great too and harmonize very well with each other. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Joe
Phil Leith #524757 02/16/19 03:53 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Phil,

very impressive - I like everything about it: awesomebacking track, top-notch vocal, great job on the guitar! Emjoyed the listen.

Take care,

Stefan

Phil Leith #524837 02/16/19 01:13 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice Phil! You are really stepping out there more and more with your vocal work and it's great...harmonies also! Very good song and highly enjoyable! Thanks, Torrey

Phil Leith #525137 02/18/19 11:07 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, 44kfl,Joe, Crossroads, Torrey ... this is good to hear. I'm trying to put together a dozen or so of my originals for a CD sometime this year ... in my spare time, such that it is.

Getting a bit more confident in the vocals... hopefully I won't get OVERconfident :-P

Doubt it. :-D

Phil Leith #525193 02/18/19 07:39 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

Phil Leith #525234 02/19/19 04:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent. The various permutations of "words" in the lyric is clever and delivers a good message.

Take that lyric and wrap it in a fine production featuring nice vocals, an engaging melody, a great arrangement and the result is one memorable song.

Well done!

J&B

Phil Leith #525616 02/21/19 08:44 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

This sounds really great Phil. Super job. I could hear the vocals a little but louder though. But great song, like I said.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195