Options
Index
#531940 - 04/07/19 07:44 PM [User Showcase] Mojave Magic
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Mojave Magic

I submitted this for a film opportunity. It was forwarded but I've heard nothing back in quite some time - that usually means "Nice try!" Oh well, I enjoyed putting it together.

There are numerous "neck squeaks" which are, unfortunately, too common in acoustic guitar tracks. I did what I could to reduce them with EQ, but they're still pretty noticeable in places. Hope you enjoy it anyway.

(c) Alan D. David, 2019, BMI

File:Mojave Magic.SGU
Key=Am , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=3:04

Style is _MAIN_ST.STY (Main St RnB Acoustic Guitar Solo)

RealTracks in style: ~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2906:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm BluesyPopMike Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 3203:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist RnBPopBrent Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 1403:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Soul70sWarmHeld Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 2906:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm BluesyPopMike Ev 100
RealDrums [in style:DrivingPop8ths^01-a:HiHat, Snare, b:Open Hat, Snare

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#531942 - 04/07/19 08:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Virginia
Belladonna Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia
Like the flow, reminds me a little of Govi. Good try and nice instrumental.

#531955 - 04/07/19 11:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Sounds great to me Al very smooth. Hope it gets excepted. Rob

#531963 - 04/08/19 03:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Alan,

This is excellent. I love the way this tune flows...

To me, the neck squeaks add texture - makes it sound "live"

Loved it!

Bob

#531981 - 04/08/19 05:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Alan,

This is a REALLY nice piece. A terrific listen. You are good at pacing an instrumental.

I agree with Bob when he said "To me, the neck squeaks add texture - makes it sound 'live'"...

Excellent mix. Nice arrangement.

-----

I will mention something that I think can be improved... the drum track includes a ride cymbal playing rapidly/continuously - I would assume during B sections. It draws attention to itself - and, therefore, away from the other instruments - and in particular the melody (which the instrumental is all about). I noticed it in the intro right away. Then it drops out. Then it comes back and gets more and more distracting (to my ear, anyway). Personally ('cause after all that is what it comes down to) I would drop the B drums and make them all A (assuming that is where it happens).

Note: I am listening on a really nice set of speakers connected to my computer - Presonus E3.5 - small near-field monitors - raised 12" off the desktop so they are right at ear level. I decided that since I spent SO much time listening to music on my computer, I should have a quality speaker as opposed to a standard (or even "good" desktop computer speaker.) They are awesome! SO... it might not be an issue for others...I don't know...

That is a lot of "discussion" about a very small "problem" (if you can even call it that). Your stuff is SO good, I think it is worth the mention, though...

----

This is great stuff! I really enjoyed it! Keep it up!!!

fj

#531991 - 04/08/19 06:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Beautiful work Alan! I love this kind of stuff! You are an expert at hopping genres at doing it with excellence! Thanks, Torrey

#531994 - 04/08/19 06:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Alabama
cliftond Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Alabama
Great work here Alan, best of luck on it, Neck squeeks sound good to me, authentic, The guitar playing is impeccable here!!! Cliff

#532002 - 04/08/19 07:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Belladonna]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Like the flow, reminds me a little of Govi. Good try and nice instrumental.

Hi Donna ...

Thank you for the listen. To say it has even the slightest reference to Govi is a huge compliment, in my book - thank you! Glad you enjoyed the totality of the effort. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan

#532003 - 04/08/19 07:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Rob4580]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Sounds great to me Al very smooth. Hope it gets excepted. Rob

Thank you Rob ... much appreciated. When something's accepted, I usually hear back in 2 - 4 weeks. This has been quire a bit longer. But I appreciate your thought!!! Thanks again, my friend! Best to you ...

Alan

#532005 - 04/08/19 07:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: rsdean]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

This is excellent. I love the way this tune flows...

To me, the neck squeaks add texture - makes it sound "live"

Loved it!

Bob

Hello Bob ...

Why, thank you so much! The neck squeaks don't bother me, either. But I know some folks who will quit listening after two or three of them. I remember reading an article about Chet Atkins several, years prior to his death, in which he said, in so many words, that you could be the most talented guitarist in the world but if your music has neck squeaks, he simply can't/won't listen.

I appreciate the listen and your kind words, Bob. Wishing you everything good ...

Alan

#532007 - 04/08/19 07:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Deryk - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Wow - love the groove, and the guitar playing on this is superb. It flows incredibly well, has some awesome progressions. I can't help but imagine this would sound unreal laced with the right kind of vocals - personally. Though I do love it for what it is here, as presented.

Thanks for sharing smile

#532009 - 04/08/19 07:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: floyd jane]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

This is a REALLY nice piece. A terrific listen. You are good at pacing an instrumental.

I agree with Bob when he said "To me, the neck squeaks add texture - makes it sound 'live'"...

Excellent mix. Nice arrangement.

-----

I will mention something that I think can be improved... the drum track includes a ride cymbal playing rapidly/continuously - I would assume during B sections. It draws attention to itself - and, therefore, away from the other instruments - and in particular the melody (which the instrumental is all about). I noticed it in the intro right away. Then it drops out. Then it comes back and gets more and more distracting (to my ear, anyway). Personally ('cause after all that is what it comes down to) I would drop the B drums and make them all A (assuming that is where it happens).

Note: I am listening on a really nice set of speakers connected to my computer - Presonus E3.5 - small near-field monitors - raised 12" off the desktop so they are right at ear level. I decided that since I spent SO much time listening to music on my computer, I should have a quality speaker as opposed to a standard (or even "good" desktop computer speaker.) They are awesome! SO... it might not be an issue for others...I don't know...

That is a lot of "discussion" about a very small "problem" (if you can even call it that). Your stuff is SO good, I think it is worth the mention, though...

----

This is great stuff! I really enjoyed it! Keep it up!!!

fj

Hi Floyd ...

Since I'm but a mediocre singer, at best, I figured out many years ago that I'd better hone my instrumental skills, creating and performing, if I was to have a future in the music business. I ended up making a very good living as a guitarist for 50+ years. If I'd depended in my vocal abilities to to put food on the table, I'd be really skinny! So, many thousands of hours were devoted to be an instrumentalist.

What I learned through all that was pacing and tasteful melodic choices were the most important elements short of a good mix. Thank you for validating all those hours of effort over the years.

I went back and listened twice before this reply - you are so right about those cymbals on the B parts. I'm slowly
and steadily losing the ability to hear the higher EQ range. I'll be 73 on my next birthday - yikes! So, you are probably correct with your assessment regarding that. As soon as I get a chance, I'll run that track again and keep it in the A mode all the way through. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Just so you know ... you'll never upset me by offering your observations on issues that could be improved. Rather, I appreciate it very, very much. Thanks!

Wishing you & yours the very best ...

Alan

Edited by Al-David (04/10/19 08:37 PM)

#532010 - 04/08/19 07:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Torrey Bliss]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Beautiful work Alan! I love this kind of stuff! You are an expert at hopping genres at doing it with excellence! Thanks, Torrey

Thank you so much, Torrey! As far as genre-hopping: Mt tastes in music have always been varied. I grew up on hardcore country and that is what I have played 95% of the to make a very good living. But when I got home, I'd often listen to a Tony Bennett, Lou Rawls, Peggy Lee or Robert Gullet album. I could be real happy listening to The Temptations, Sam Cook or The Beach Boys. I learned early there is very little bad music ... just the occasional poor performance of good music. There's a long story about all that ... too long to tell here. Maybe I'll eventually tell it on one of the other forums.

Anyway, thank you so much for the nice comments!

Alan

PS: On Wednesday of last week, I was only about 20 miles from your hometown as I traveled to West Plains and then Jefferson City.

Edited by Al-David (04/10/19 08:38 PM)

#532012 - 04/08/19 07:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - love the groove, and the guitar playing on this is superb. It flows incredibly well, has some awesome progressions. I can't help but imagine this would sound unreal laced with the right kind of vocals - personally. Though I do love it for what it is here, as presented.

Thanks for sharing smile

Deryk, you are much too nice! but don't stop ... I'll figure out a way to deal with it! Thank you very much ... glad you enjoyed it!

#532027 - 04/08/19 09:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Cool song!

I agree with Bob and floyd, love the guitar squeaks and noises

like the upfront drums, good mix

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

#532037 - 04/08/19 10:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Excellent piece of music...
For me... When a song is good, minor imperfections just add to the character of the work...
And this song is good... extremely good!

#532190 - 04/09/19 11:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
That's a wonderful tune Al. The use of the solo guitar is masterful. It's a showcase for the power of RT's. Regarding the squeaks, hey, at least the RT guys are using new strings! I hope it get pick up...it's very cinematic.

Enjoyed the spin!

J&B

PS I'm a year older with way, way shot ears re high f. Regarding the ride cymbal I quit using them several years ago after fj pointed out how busy they are. I went back to my mix at the time, turned the kit way up so I could hear them and immediately agreed how distracting they are -- particularly if you are looking for an open/airy mix.

#532196 - 04/09/19 11:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Great work, I'm so envious. I struggle to play any kind of lead on an acoustic, kills my fingers. This sounds like Mark Knopfler with a SoCal twist to me. I hate when the cymbals go crazy in BIAB, though I didn't notice it here. I learned how to uncheck 'vary style in middle choruses' and that took care of that.

#532199 - 04/09/19 11:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Alan,
Beautiful tune! I actually think guitar "squeaks" add more life and less of sterile feeling to composition.
Totally enjoyed it!

Thank you for posting!

Misha.

#532294 - 04/10/19 08:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mojave Magic [Re: Al-David]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hello Al-David, thanks for sharing this! Excellent mixdown on all of this and very soothing to hear. The neck squeaks actually give it a bit of charm, and a solid guitar tone. Well done!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32854 Members
68 Forums
66163 Topics
561858 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
chief, xhosa, JohnDoe, hkh, Martin4889

32853 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 168
VideoTrack 145