You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#535687 - 05/06/19 01:47 PM [User Showcase] New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

This one just kinda flew together - trust me, it doesn't usually come together this easily! I had a thought to do a Western Swing style song Saturday night, so I just grabbed my pen and started writing the first things that came to my head. In about 20 minutes, I had the words, so I jumped over to Band In A Box, and threw together a quick arrangement to go with the words. This program is so awesome, it only took a few minutes to identify what instruments I wanted, and then after a few regenerations, I had the arrangement ready. Dropped the renderings over into Studio One, and added vocals, and here we go! (I'm sure I probably overestimated your interest in how I wrote the song, but anyway... Here is Leave Your Blues At Home.) Hope you enjoy it...

Leave Your Blues At Home

Leave Your Blues At Home
©Stephen W. Young

You've had your share of trouble
And you don't know what to do
You see pieces of the puzzle
But you're looking for a clue
You say you're sad and lonely
You say you're feeling blue
You say you need some company
I can say I've been there too
If you need to get away
To rest your weary bones
You can come on down to my house
But you can leave your blues at home

I don't want to minimize
The things you're going through
But you're living in the shadows
You need a different point of view
It's time to make some changes
I know it's hard to do
You can rise above the ashes
You can see your dreams come true
You can take your stand for freedom
And you'll never be alone
But you can leave your blues at home

Please hear what I am saying
I mean no disrespect
I hate to see you struggle
But your song's not over yet
Start dancing to this happy beat
I'm sure you won't regret
Can't wait to see you smile again
I hope you won't forget
I'm always right here for you
Not throwing any stones
And you can leave your blues at home

Here are the RT's/RD's used...
RealTracks in song: ~541:Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 190
RealTracks in style: ~1131:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm WesternSwingWarmA-B Sw 190
RealTracks in style: ~815:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Western Swing Sw 190
RealTracks in song: ~1135:Pedal Steel, Rhythm WesternSwing Sw 190
RealTracks in song: ~1544:Fiddle, Background WesternSwing Sw 190
RealTracks in song: 818:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryClassicSwing Sw 190
RealDrums [in Song:BoomChickaSw^01-a: Blue Rods, b: Blue Sticks

#535691 - 05/06/19 02:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Stephen,
Really nice!
My view is, the best tunes are the ones that come easy. Probably much more chemistry behind that... Most likely it was "cooking" inside of you for some time and then arrived at the surface without a warning smile

Very tasteful, masterful work in capturing this beast in proper moment of time! Enjoyable both musically and lyrically.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#535696 - 05/06/19 03:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
I was a little worried you'd lifted too much Cash in the verse melody but you moved on from the similarity pretty quickly.
The hand claps REALLY help.
Nifty, crisp and up tune - good one!
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#535699 - 05/06/19 04:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Steve,

I love this! You sound great doing western swing...

A great vocal, lyric and mix.

Nothing left to say - very much enjoyed!

Bob

#535708 - 05/06/19 04:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia

Hi Steve. I've found my best songs come together really fast. Love this tune its a throw back to the days of great music.
Every thing works well your band selection is spot on. Great vocals and production are excellent. Rob

#535721 - 05/06/19 05:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
I love when a project comes together so seamlessly. Thanks for sharing!

#535740 - 05/06/19 11:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Steve, you have not overestimated MY interest in how songs get written.

This is a clever write and expresses thoughts in an original way that I (for one) have had, and also at times have heard directed at me with less art. Your voice always feels comfortable and un-strained, and this time was especially smooth sounding. Thoroughly enjoyed.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#535751 - 05/07/19 03:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Always interested in the songwriting process that people use, so thanks for adding that!

Good song Steve, amazing to me that you could write those lyrics so quickly. The "band" sounds great, perfect choice of instruments, as does your vocal.

Enjoyed the listen!

#535797 - 05/07/19 08:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Steve,

Great hook! The write has the comfortable, simple, said-just-right feel of a Hank Williams song. (That's a compliment, btw)

The swing production suits it perfectly and the mix is excellent. Strong vocal (as always).

Hard not to enjoy... chair dancing...

fj

#535807 - 05/07/19 09:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
An excellent Western Swing tune with a good hook...
All thats missing is Bob Wills voice urging you & the musicians along with an "Ah-Ha"...
Good job on this one.

#535809 - 05/07/19 09:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
From Bob Wills to Asleep At The Wheel we LOVE Western Swing! And, man, this is right in the pocket.

Two and a half minutes of pure joy.

You have an obvious real feel for this genre...guess being from Texas doesn't hurt smile

Janice and I have worked a bit with WS and always felt the WS RT's are some of the best.

Great band, vocal performance and write...the whole package.

Much fun!!!

J&B

#535814 - 05/07/19 10:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hello Steve, what a marvelous song I might say! Very cool you were able to create this in a short amount of time. Fantastic selection of instruments here and the mix sounds well polished too. The lyrics are quite fun. Keep it up!

#535878 - 05/07/19 04:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
"20 minutes" You've got to be kidding Steve! It takes me a couple of weeks to put some lyrics together! This is such a beautiful clean production! Your vocal is absolutely perfect! Great band going on in the background with excellent choices all the way around! Pro level all the way! I can hardly believe all the great material being presented by so many members of this forum community! Thanks, Torrey

#535887 - 05/07/19 04:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
poltad Offline

Sounds great. Very nice mix with vocals and song. Especially nice with the doubling on vocals and harmonies at the end. I am considering BIB and keep listening to user songs to get a good representation of capabilities and this one stands out.

#535958 - 05/08/19 05:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Queensland, Australia
mkg50 (Mike G) Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Queensland, Australia
Steve, I love the sentiment in your lyrics. The song and your vocals convey the message perfectly.
Cheers,
Mike

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172

#535972 - 05/08/19 06:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Excellent western swing!

a great write and delivered beautifully

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

#535979 - 05/08/19 06:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

First thought.... Asleep at the wheel.....

Man, isn't it sweet when that happens? 20 minutes and you got a solid lyric idea.... a few minutes later with BB and you got the song. It doesn't often happen that way, at least not for me, but when it does.... it's like God is talking to me directly.

Loved everything about this song.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#535980 - 05/08/19 06:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Deryk - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Really well done! I wouldn't have known it came together so seamlessly, but it's never a bad thing when it works out that way. Love the upbeat groove on this, and your vocals are top notch. Definitely getting some throwback vibes on this too - I can imagine it'd sound great performed live.

Thanks so much for sharing smile

#536051 - 05/08/19 09:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: rsdean]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Stephen,
Really nice!
My view is, the best tunes are the ones that come easy. Probably much more chemistry behind that... Most likely it was "cooking" inside of you for some time and then arrived at the surface without a warning smile

Very tasteful, masterful work in capturing this beast in proper moment of time! Enjoyable both musically and lyrically.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks, Misha! I agree, sometimes the ones that come easy are a little more "inspired", and come easily out of your heart. I think that's probably what happened here. Thanks for your nice words!

Originally Posted By: rayc
I was a little worried you'd lifted too much Cash in the verse melody but you moved on from the similarity pretty quickly.
The hand claps REALLY help.
Nifty, crisp and up tune - good one!

Thank you, rayc! This style at this tempo will probably remind you of another rendering of this genre, most of the time. At least it does to me. This style was originally the "dance music" of its day. To me, todays' "dance music" also has a lot of similarity between each song. Tempo and beat run together, as in the Western Swing. Western Swing sure is fun, though (at least to me)!

Thanks for your comments!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Steve,

I love this! You sound great doing western swing...

A great vocal, lyric and mix.

Nothing left to say - very much enjoyed!

Bob

Thanks so much, Bob! Means a lot to me. I've always really enjoyed Western Swing, but this is the first time I've attempted to do it.

I wish my Dad were alive to hear this one. He was a musician (had a band that entertained the troops in WWII), and taught me the basics to playing the guitar (3 chords!). He actually met Bob Wills and hung out with him some while he was in Galveston for some gigs with the Texas Playboys. My dad was always very impressed with the music of Bob Wills. I think he would have enjoyed hearing me at least attempt to do this! smile

Thanks again for your kind words, Bob!

===

Steve

#536120 - 05/09/19 09:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Leave Your Blues At Home [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Catchy feel-good song, great work in such a short time smile Arrangement and mix is so perfect that I'd actually like to hear this played on an old gramophone, just to get that authentic feel of times when life was simple but happy smile

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Happy Thanksgiving!

Today our friends in the USA are celebrating Thanksgiving!

Our hours are not affected - we are here until 6pm PST!

We hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving!

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Mac is Here!

Ci sono oltre 50 nuove funzionalità in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Ci sono miglioramenti ai RealTracks (RealTracks vocali dal suono più fluido, Ispessimento RealTracks, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" e MultiRiffs). La maggior parte dei RealDrums ora hanno RealCharts (con un'accurata Notazione di Batteria). C'è un nuovo Browser dell'artista RealTracks per trovare informazioni /bios/collegamenti/ elenchi di RealTracks su tutti gli artisti. Un nuovo Browser delle Funzionalità consente all'utente nuovo o "smemorato" di trovare e utilizzare facilmente la maggior parte delle funzionalità/tasti di scelta rapida/documenti da un'unica finestra. Equalizza Tempo consente di cambiare una canzone registrata in rubato in un tempo fisso. Stiramento del tempo/tono dell'audio migliorato (Elastique) incluso. Ci sono miglioramenti di SongPicker, Auto-Intro di Basso/Batteria o Batteria solo, 3.400 titoli aggiunti, miglioramenti di MusicXML, chitarra "per mancini" e "Vista Studente", miglioramenti del trascinamento della selezione, visualizzazione multi-finestra dell’analizzatore degli accordi audio e altro ancora!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO!!

Forum Stats
33236 Members
67 Forums
66177 Topics
567508 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
HasseIron, IanP, Neha Sharma, Bravo Hearing Ce, PSAcademy

33235 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 201