Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#535750 - 05/07/19 03:17 AM [User Showcase] TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Here's a faux master of the latest collaboration between Torrey and I - along with Greg Loyacano.
[Link no longer valid]
Here's the mastered version...
TLMIE MASTERED
Written by Bliss/Cochrane
The drums are BIAB as usual. I had almost no trouble sitting them in the mix this time.
Torrey Bliss wrote the melody, sang lead, backing and harmony vocals plus edited the lyrics.
Greg Loyacano played the three guitar tracks - Les Paul into Marshalls.
James Dodd did the solo on his Crimson custom into a Blackstar.
My end of the task was done in BIAB 11 and then in Reaper with native Reaper plugins, (comp & EQ plus a combo of those two to create a de-esser and 1 instance each of reverb and delay). The only non Reaper VST was PSP Vintage Warmer 2 which was used on the the vocal bus (semi driven tape), the guitar bus (semi driven tape) and the rhythm bus (light driven tape). I do have a squillion VST/plugs but have slowly moved away from using them.
I played bass.
The narrative is, basically, a biographical essay of one of the most influential writers of the 20th century.
I will be sending this for mastering but know you folks would probably like to comment, suggest or review the track and this version is fairly compliant with the forum's preferences.
Here're the lyrics...
The Last Man In Europe.

The last man in Europe struck a match
Another chain smoker in a Spanish trench
Front line Sietamo: copped one in the throat
Fascist’s bullets - no antidote

Even in the darkness was seen between the shots
“England’s brighter blue between the chimney pots “
Doss house, tea, bread, margarine
Beggars, mine workers: sights can’t be unseen.

Huddled but not cowered, sewed another patch
Matches, cigarette, an unbroken chain
Up to Wigan Pier and back again

A home guard rifle underneath the bed
Grenades on the mantelpiece better than being dead
Wife, death, the boy in nanny’s lap
Rumours, replace tumours, war filled the gap

Sanatorium isolation, type writer, cigarette
Smokey paraffin fire, can’t hold the boy yet
Politics of art, art’s politics
Economy, conformity, a gentler fascist.

Sucked in the air: each breath he could snatch
Nicotine, blood stains, colour teeth and lips
Death draws each breath in bloody sips

Please feel free to comment on any and all aspects.

Edited by Andrew - PG Music (08/28/20 04:50 PM)
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#535780 - 05/07/19 07:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Really well done! A great groove, and nicely catchy too. Definitely an earworm, and I found the vocals to be really memorable. Reminds me of rock music that was coming out in the 80's almost. I can't help but imagine how good this would sound live.

Thanks for sharing smile

#535799 - 05/07/19 09:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
ray...Torrey...

Rockin'!

The tracks sound really good. Drums and bass and guitars really Pop!

The solo is nice. I thought it could come up in volume slightly.

The vocals are excellent. They have the kind of "dramatic immediacy" that characterize Elvis Costello or Joe Jackson - a good match for the song/style.
I thought they could have come up just slightly - to "sit even" with the guitars (they seem "a bit back" from them).

The song is well written, interesting... though many of the references elude me - haven't read that much Orwell.

Good stuff, y'all.

fj

#535800 - 05/07/19 09:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Well...
You forced me to some research... you tricky-little devil laugh
Fortunately your lyrics then made more sense to me...
You guys have produced a great sounding composition...
And I imagine it will sound even better after you polish it up with the mastering process.

Edited by Jim (05/07/19 09:16 AM)
Edit Reason: dadgum missing "the"

#535805 - 05/07/19 09:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

A heady lyric ( a few gritty lines zapped me as they went by and made me curious to learn about some references).
I like the driving sound ... and hearing Torrey sing a hard rock tune!
I guess I`ve missed your other collaborations with the Blissman
The guitar solo sounds excellent -maybe a bit buried in the mix.

Robert

#535812 - 05/07/19 10:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hey ray, fantastic choice of instrumentation on this. Excellent mixdown on all of this and the vibe is very appealing. The bass sounds wonderful. Well done!

#535830 - 05/07/19 11:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Tangmo Online   content
Expert

Can't comment much on mixes. Extra-fine lyric and delivery of same. Kind of a cross between Ian Anderson and Metallica. Looking forward to the power from a "louder" master.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#535833 - 05/07/19 12:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Sounded great, I heard The Clash in it, maybe because of the political lyrics. Great job getting all those words to flow naturally in the melody. Very impressive all the way around, listened several times.

#535838 - 05/07/19 12:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
We have a long standing interest in history so your lyric drove us both quickly to google as we have both read a bit of Orwell but never anything biographical.

That is a brilliant write and it was worth the price of admission alone just to try and find the events in Orwell's life from which you drew your references. The imagery is remarkably vivid.

Then the song iced the cake with the absolutely in the pocket performances -- vocals, guitars and bass. Guitar effects are mostly above my pay grade but the rhythm guitars on all your productions seem to have something with the distortion that sets them apart from the pack...in a good way.

Great collab y'all!!!

J&B

PS And thanks for the history lesson...

#535857 - 05/07/19 02:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Ray, Torrey & Greg
When the gala / wine event for Album release will take place?

Very strong collaboration! Listens very smoothly, no painful points or such (to my ears), kept me entertained all the way. Grungy uplifting smile Lyrics are a bit coded, but with help of mr.Google I was able to get a sense of the story.

Thank you for sharing and congrats to all who participated!

Misha.

#535875 - 05/07/19 04:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Ray / Torrey,

This song is a very cool production - great lyrics and the mix is awesome!

The real standout for me though is Torrey's performance. I think he is an outstanding singer, but this is a really inspired vocal - one of his all time best.

Loved it!

Bob

#535885 - 05/07/19 04:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Online   content
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Very good song and production!

I need to revisit Orwell to fully understand the lyrics... it is at least 25 years ago I read his books and I know too little about his life. This song is great inspiration to look up information about him again.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Will

#535891 - 05/07/19 05:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: rayc]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Really awesome vocals! Overall the song is great. Thanks for sharing.

#535896 - 05/07/19 06:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
rayc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really well done! A great groove, and nicely catchy too. Definitely an earworm, and I found the vocals to be really memorable. Reminds me of rock music that was coming out in the 80's almost. I can't help but imagine how good this would sound live.

Thanks for sharing smile

Deryk,
thanks and YES, Torrey does a fantastic job and wrote an excellent melody to hang the words on.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#535897 - 05/07/19 06:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: floyd jane]
rayc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray...Torrey...
Rockin'!
... though many of the references elude me - haven't read that much Orwell.
Good stuff, y'all.
fj

FJ,
Thank you very much. You picked it was Orwell so you did well. The majority of references are biographical and I doubt many folk have read about the man. Clearly I've read a few of the biogs as well as all of his works.
I'll have a listen to the vocal & solo levels later today - thanks.

#535898 - 05/07/19 07:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: Jim]
rayc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jim
Well...
You forced me to some research... you tricky-little devil laugh
Fortunately your lyrics then made more sense to me...

Torrey and I decided not to write a song but to prepare an assignment for the forum.
It's the "chalkie" in me, sorry.
On another level - THANKS for the generous assessment.
You've passed the assignment.

#535899 - 05/07/19 07:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: Robertkc]
rayc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
A heady lyric ( a few gritty lines zapped me as they went by and made me curious to learn about some references).
I like the driving sound ... and hearing Torrey sing a hard rock tune!
Robert

Thanks Robert,
Torrey's chops are top shelf aren't they?
"gritty" is good I assume.

#535900 - 05/07/19 07:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: Joe -PG Music]
rayc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hey ray, fantastic choice of instrumentation on this. Excellent mixdown on all of this and the vibe is very appealing. The bass sounds wonderful. Well done!

Thanks Joe,
It almost mixed itself.

#535901 - 05/07/19 07:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: Tangmo]
rayc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Extra-fine lyric and delivery of same. Kind of a cross between Ian Anderson and Metallica.

Tangmo,
Thanks - the delivery of the lines is really fine.
Interesting concept for a MashUp you've proposed.

#535902 - 05/07/19 07:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: TORREY BLISS ROCKS AGAIN - The Last Man In Europe [Re: TuneMonger]
rayc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I heard The Clash in it... Great job getting all those words to flow naturally in the melody.

TM,
The guitarist is a BIG Clash fan and the bvox have a bit of that in them too.
Torrey did a fine, fine job making the words fit the mouth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Video - How to Transpose a Region of a Band-in-a-Box® Song

Want to learn how to transpose just one chorus of your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Check out our latest video, shared to the I want a video that shows me how to... forum: https://youtu.be/XiMrgtQ7u14

Band-in-a-Box® - What People Are Saying...

Wow, check out the latest feedback from Band-in-a-Box® users!

"I have one song I've been torturing over to get the sound right for quite some time and I merely keyed in the chords and what BB generated is awesome. Just what I hoped that song would sound like. What had taken me months to get right (and couldn't), the program could do in about an hour - AMAZING!"

"Great Ear Training Exercises! And I love that that you can set the tempo to whatever you choose. It's great for learning a tune!"

"A very good and easy to use musical program!"

"It's amazingly easy to use! Write a song? No problem! Add background sound track to a video? No problem! Put notes on a staff and have BB make up a chord progression and tell what key you are in? No problem! Start with a chord progression and have BB make a melody line? No problem!"

"Still the best practice tool I have found, great for running lines, improvising over and really helpful for working on song writing ideas as well! Good for beginners, and the more musical skill and knowledge you have the more you will get out of the software."

"I create demo songs with Band-in-a-Box, it helps me to get my ideas across to my engineer!"

"Been using Band-in-a-Box for years. Outstanding product from a great company!"

"It's like buying a Musical History Jukebox. It comes with probably 3000 styles and is like hiring session musicians to play rhythm with you, they even have soloists! It introduces you to so many types of rhythms that you other wise would know nothing about. "

"Paul McCartney said you gotta have a great band behind you. Well, Band-in-a-Box is my band."

"It's as easy as typing in the chords, choosing your style, instruments, etc., and off you go! Learning the tune? You can slow it down while you work on it then speed it up. My favorite analogy is a good chess program, which will play at your speed and level and is eternally patient!"

"I love my Band in a box, it does so much! Besides all the RealTracks and song ideas, it's a great tool to stay sharp with your licks. Social distancing got you down? Can't jam with friends? Pick out any song and go to the mixer button, there you can mute any instrument that's playing so you can jump right in and play along!"

"I love it. I'm a drummer, and Band-in-a-Box really keeps me on my toes!"

"The DAW plugin is really great. Trust me on this. I use it with Studio One.

"This is how I've been able to gig solo for the past 20 years. Band-in-a-Box is the great equalizer for us none rhythm players."

"Wouldn't want to be without it! One of the best things I bought in my life. Simple as that."

"As a songwriter I really love to work with Band-in-a-Box. The only limitation is your own creativity."

"I've used Band-in-a-Box for 25 years and thanks to this program and the advice of PG Music staff I've written over 100 songs. It's great software and amazing help to me as a musician. CONGRATS!!!"

Thank you for all the amazing feedback!

Band-in-a-Box® - A Teaching Tool!

Did you know that we offer Band-in-a-Box® LabPAK and Site License purchase options for schools? This is an ideal option for any educational institution looking to add Band-in-a-Box® to their curriculum.

Learn more about the LabPAK purchase options here: Windows | Mac.

How would a teacher use Band-in-a-Box® in a school setting?

A few ideas:
-practice sight reading with the students by following the on-screen notation
-display the Guitar Fretboard or Big Piano Window to watch the notes being played
-Trading fours! (etc.)
-generate a song for accompaniment during practice sessions
-create a practice song and save it as an audio file to send home with the student for additional practice!

...and more!

Wondering how to add a Band-in-a-Box LabPAK to your school? Feel free to contact us directly with any questions you might have! Click here to send us an email.

Forum Stats
33040 Members
68 Forums
66546 Topics
565943 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
gallantknight, Mamlish Man, srholland, brichmond, cguzmancr

33040 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Janice & Bud 143
Al-David 139