Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#540943 - 06/14/19 09:54 AM [User Showcase] Blue Guitar (with ScottC)
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

The Old Guitarist, a painting by Picasso, influenced Wallace Stevens to write The Man With The Blue Guitar which led PK Page to write another poem, The Blue Guitar... which Scott/Robert "sampled" to bring you this song.
I read the poems, borrowed part of one line from Wallace Stevens and went off on my own tangent.
Scott almost instantly contributed his tracks ( if you`re going to work with him be prepared for things to move quickly!).
Production I found tricky once I decided to add strings - your observations on how we did are appreciated.

Blue Guitar

Style is _SPRUCE.STY (Spruce Acoustic Songwriter Pop)

RealTracks in style: ~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1534:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPowerPush8ths Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2935:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkPulse8thsFintan Ev 110
RealDrums [in style:CongasEv8[single] [Multi]
Real Drums Driving Pop 8ths
RT 1030 12string el. guitar
RT 2510 Viola
RT 2508 String Quartet

Scott`s pale blue guitar

Blue Guitar

so many moons
prisoners of the sun
we still turn for you
the waterwheel drinks
while its spun

if there is no ship to see
in passing morning clouds
why do we cling to dreams
like sailors
in the shrouds

I cannot play things as they are
in the sky I hear a blue guitar

as long as I`m spared
strumming colours bending light
sing the rainbow in curved air
the orchestra of birds
takes flight

bells in the rain
a note for joy key for pain
songs beyond sane

© Robert Cordrey June 2019

#540946 - 06/14/19 09:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Alabama
cliftond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alabama
Excellent work here, reminds me of some early Pink Floyd style.

#540952 - 06/14/19 10:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada

Cool write, very good vocal (love it when you bring the harmonies in), and I like that melodic line that Scott is playing throughout and the guitar work overall. Production and mix sounded good to me.

Collaboration at its best, enjoyed the listen!

Blue Attitude Website

#540954 - 06/14/19 10:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loved the way this one turned out. Also like the photo of my Les Paul you did for the song..

#540956 - 06/14/19 10:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Robert,

Cool song. A good production. Good vocal - one of your best, I think...

Scott - some of your best work. Really "fits the song" and adds to it...

Another good collaboration for the two of you.

fj

#540960 - 06/14/19 11:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Robert / Scott,

This is a great collaboration... Love the song, vocal and production.

Some really nice vocal phrasing Robert.

Scott those P90's sound awesome.

Excellent all around!

Bob

#540967 - 06/14/19 11:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Expert

Robert & Scott,
Beautiful and unusual collaboration.
Great production job. I do not have critical opinions, I enjoyed this much!
I did try to listen carefully. One small guitar spike at around 3:12. But that is just a hair. Overall is great.
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#541025 - 06/14/19 05:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: floyd jane]
F.M.M. Online   content
Expert

hi rorbert and scott great calab love the vocal scott great job on the guitar very engaging thanks eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#541067 - 06/15/19 02:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Tangmo Offline
Journeyman

Fantastic progression with some hazy ethnic feel. Lyric, vocal and lead continued and joined it. A very different and enjoyable package.
BIAB 2019 Audiophile. Windows 10. Former user of old version. Prefer creating while learning over learning before creating. Passable, intermediate level acoustic rhythm guitar player. Songwriter, lyricist, composer loving all styles.

#541082 - 06/15/19 04:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Rob and Scot,

A very interesting song. Nice composition. The way the song progresses is very nice/interesting.
Like it!

Hans

#541106 - 06/15/19 07:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
Very good listen. Thoughtful lyrics, steamy guitar.
TASCAM Digital deck

#541118 - 06/15/19 09:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: rsdean]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: cliftond
Excellent work here, reminds me of some early Pink Floyd style.

Maybe the moody opening is a bit Pink Floyd - glad you liked our efforts!

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Cool write, very good vocal (love it when you bring the harmonies in), and I like that melodic line that Scott is playing throughout and the guitar work overall. Production and mix sounded good to me.

Thanks for your comments, Dave. It seemed to work to hold the harmonies until the bridge. Yes, Scott has some intuition about how to play behind vocals... I`m sure he appreciates that coming from you!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

Cool song. A good production. Good vocal - one of your best, I think...

Scott - some of your best work. Really "fits the song" and adds to it...

Another good collaboration for the two of you.

fj

Floyd,

That`s encouraging - thank you!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert / Scott,

This is a great collaboration... Love the song, vocal and production.

Some really nice vocal phrasing Robert.

Scott those P90's sound awesome.

Excellent all around!

Bob

Bob,
Glad you liked this.Especially supportive to get your thumbs up on the vocals.

Robert

#541119 - 06/15/19 09:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Fascinating composition & production...
Undoubtedly one of the more unique works on the showcase...
The vocals, background, & guitar all blend into a mysterious musical painting...
Good collaboration guys...
I really enjoyed the listen!

#541233 - 06/16/19 05:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Thanks Dave. I isolated Roberts vocal in the head phones and just played along to the melody in Roberts vocal. Glad you liked the song

#541315 - 06/16/19 06:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Tangmo]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Robert & Scott,
Beautiful and unusual collaboration.
Great production job. I do not have critical opinions, I enjoyed this much!
I did try to listen carefully. One small guitar spike at around 3:12. But that is just a hair. Overall is great.
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thank you, Misha- this one happened very rapidly so its possible the mix needs a tweak- I`m glad you enjoyed our collaboration.

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi rorbert and scott great calab love the vocal scott great job on the guitar very engaging thanks eric

Many thanks for those positives, Eric!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Fantastic progression with some hazy ethnic feel. Lyric, vocal and lead continued and joined it. A very different and enjoyable package.

Tangmo,
Glad you like that minor/major & back again progression.
Lately I`ve been trying to fine tune a habitual way of writing chord progressions:starting with those I hear when playing behind the melody in my head(for many years that was done & dusted!),I then jot down alternatives using Biab to quickly listen to the changes.Lastly I`ll refer to a chord map to see if what I hear isn`t supposed to work...if I start with the chart things get too predictable for my taste.

Robert

#541322 - 06/16/19 09:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Robert/ Scott

Really interesting piece - unpredictable. Really enjoyed the way it moved around and the overall prog rock production. Excellent vocal and guitar work.
A top notch collaboration.

Peter

#541329 - 06/16/19 11:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
The Old Guitarist, a painting by Picasso, influenced Wallace Stevens to write The Man With The Blue Guitar which led PK Page to write another poem, The Blue Guitar... which Scott/Robert "sampled" to bring you this song.

Interesting backstory.

Quote:
Production I found tricky once I decided to add strings - your observations on how we did are appreciated.

I assume the off-kilter feel of the beat was intentional. It has a sort of "twitchy" feeling to it. Given the lyrics, it seems to be what you were going for.

As for the mix - sounds great to me.

You've really got a way to putting a unique spin on a song, even if it's a collaboration. I was going to suggest that you really don't sound like anyone else, when my son walked by and asked "Is that a new Talking Heads song?" jokingly, but now I can't un-hear it in your vocals. wink

But ignoring that, you really do have a unique sound.

Cool song, both of you! smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#541348 - 06/17/19 02:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Expert

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
REALLY cool.
I think the conga intro, (just the uptake hits), is a bit weak and could be either lifted, removed or varied to make is sit better.
The drum kit is too loud for my hearing of the song - it dominates after it enters - particularly the kick & toms - the conga get lost and they are VERY cool.
Excellent collab.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#541383 - 06/17/19 08:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hello Robert, I admired the overall vibe on this. Fantastic selection of instruments here and the vibe is very appealing. That guitar tone is very warm! Well done!

#541424 - 06/17/19 12:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Guitar (with ScottC) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
cool song!

Scott, excellent playing!

Robert, as usual, a great write

good vocals and mix

Kenny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® in 11 Languages!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows available in languages other than English? It's true - we have 10 other languages available for Band-in-a-Box® 2019! Head to www.bandinabox.com and you'll see a list of all our language options! This list can also be accessed by clicking on the "English EN" near the top right corner of our website.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows language options:
Danish | Dutch | French | German | Italian | Polish | Portuguese | Russian | Spanish | Swedish

Already have the English version, and want a different language? Reach out to our Customer Service Team with your request and you'll be running your preferred language in no time at all!

Forum Stats
29771 Members
60 Forums
58829 Topics
496514 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Bofga, Mealticket, Will The Weirdo, selfia31, W7DAX

29771 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 151
Matt Finley 139