Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#545122 - 07/12/19 07:27 AM [User Showcase] My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn)
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

The story...
While doing the production for this song, there was one measure of the drum track that I could NOT get to work the way I wanted.

So I asked Caaron (HearToLearn) if he would play drums for me.
He said "Sure!".
Cool.
There are few things better than having a drum track played specifically for your song!!!
(Headphones or earbuds to hear all the nuances of the performance)
Kind of neat to have the drum set on 8 separate tracks to work with...
...and, at times, a lot to handle...
A bit out of my comfort zone, you might say...

I also asked Janice Merritt to join in.
Singing. Not drumming.
She is always in her comfort zone.

MY COMFORT ZONE

i might have a beer or two
but i don't ever get too wild
the party scene unsettles me
gettin' crazy ain't my style
but all of that began to change
when i met Debra Ann
she makes me question everything
including who i am

she takes me out
   of my comfort zone
   scares me little
   if the truth be known
   punk and proud
   loose and loud
   always speaks her mind
   making waves
   never plays it safe
   she's gotta cross that line
   she ain't happy
   until i'm thrown
   out of my comfort zone

i'm guarded, i'm careful
steady on my feet
gotten where i just don't trust
when my heart skips that beat
but she hit me hard
like some runaway train
her kiss, her touch
driving me insane

The BAND:

RealTracks in style: 1255:Bass, Electric, PopShiningA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1253:Bass, Electric, PopShiningHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 388:Bass, Electric, Metal Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 632:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanMuted Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1259:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRockA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 698:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 2688:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockBrentSimple Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2690:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Slow16thsPopBrentSimple Ev16 075
BIAB Cowbell Loop
Held guitar loops from Studio One

Drums: Forum member HearToLearn (Caaron)

Harmonies: the janettes (Janice Merritt and fj)
(Janice's harmony is, of course, recorded by Bud Merritt - his comfort zone)

Big, Big Thanks to HTL & J&B!!

We all hope that you enjoy this.
(At least I think we all do).
Comments welcome (and encouraged).

Have at it.

fj

#545127 - 07/12/19 08:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Floyd and Caaron,

This is really cool. Great momentum and drive--and great driving song. Really fun. Super backing by Janice as usual.

The drum mix in the right and left channels, with all of that separation, is awesome. True ear candy.

Great job guys.

Happy July.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#545142 - 07/12/19 09:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I agree 100% about nothing like having a real drummer on your track! Man, what a great sound! You can do some amazing things with realdrums/ezdrummer2, etc., but nothing beats the real thing, assuming the drummer is a good player, and Caaron is great in my book. Not to mention they are very well recorded, not easy to do.

Great song too of course! Nice dynamics and production. Wasn't sure if I liked that hard left panned guitar at first, but it grew on me.

Vocals are great, and the janettes always deliver the goods.

Great stuff, listened a couple of times.

Blue Attitude Website

#545162 - 07/12/19 10:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Man...
You guys really deliver on the goods...
Congratulations to all of you for a job well done!

#545205 - 07/12/19 02:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
floyd, Caaron, Janice

This belongs on the PG Music Greatest Hits Album - or perhaps their Hall of Fame.

Amazing how adding real performances to the Real Tracks can create such a vibrant engaging sound.
Regarding those performances, firstly it's a strong song expertly written with wonderful vocals from you and Janice (no surprise there) and it's the first time I've heard real drums mixed in on the user forum - and Caaron sounds great.

Excellent.

Peter

#545214 - 07/12/19 04:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

What a tune! You really delivered on this one. Incredibly catchy, vocals that are stunning and concise, and some fantastic chord progressions. The mix job is stunning as well. The little guitar licks that come in and out in the background add a ton of character.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

#545223 - 07/12/19 06:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Floyd,
Snappy well written song with absolutely clear high energy vocals to match.
Yeah, those 8 drum tracks are spectacular.
Excellent job to all on this.

Robert

#545226 - 07/12/19 06:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Working with tracks from a full and well recorded drum kit is intimidating BUT a great learning curve. I found going from eight track, full kit of specially recorded drums to RealDrums very challenging as well. The flexibility of multitrack drums is hard to beat and you did a sterling job with a very well played and recorded kit.
Cool song, cool harmonies and a well judged set of bass parts to work with the kit.
Excellent!
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#545301 - 07/13/19 07:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: David Snyder]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Floyd and Caaron,

This is really cool. Great momentum and drive--and great driving song. Really fun. Super backing by Janice as usual.

The drum mix in the right and left channels, with all of that separation, is awesome. True ear candy.

Great job guys.

Happy July.

Well if it was enough to drag you outta wherever you been hidin'...that's good enough for me smile And we Thank you!

#545308 - 07/13/19 08:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

I'm no sound engineer. You might have had a little too much fun with them (don't know), but I didn't have that feeling of being a little man in the middle of a drum kit on the phones.

Like the song. The band moves things along well and your impeccable phrasing delivers a fun lyric. Mine definitely took me out of mine, but I return the favor sometimes too. Vocals and harmonies top-notch. Hats off the the Janettes. Much enjoyed.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#545335 - 07/13/19 11:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
WOW, what a tune, and some great thumpin' drums!!! Great sounding track, and a very crafted, fun write by a forum master! You know, it has become clear that our own FJ, an apparently mild-mannered, soft-spoken, wizard tunesmith must have known a lot of wild women, since that is one of his favorite writing themes.....good for you Floyd!! No, seriously, this is another wonderful song, done right in every aspect, and Caaron (never knew his name until now) did some great drumming!!! Nice one guys!!! Take care. Greg

#545350 - 07/13/19 03:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hey Floyd, wowzers! I found this very easy to listen and very soothing to hear. Great tone with the guitar too. Looking forward to hear more!

#545377 - 07/13/19 06:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Top notch country rocker, Floyd.

The drums sound great and Janice's harmony vocal is of her usual lofty standard.

By the way, Peter's been nagging me for quite a while to make comments on the forum, but the truth is I don't spend much time on-line (and I mostly agree with his posts anyhow). There are some hugely talented people on here whose songs I do try to make a point of listening to whenever I can, and that certainly includes you. Always enjoy your stuff.

Kind regards,
Leon

#545391 - 07/13/19 09:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
I keep hearing the lyric as "Pumpkin proud", which is certainly an interesting image. wink

Lots of interesting percussion in addition to the drums. And cowbell!

Janice is subtle in the mix - I didn't even notice her the first time. Of course, the second time through I sort of wondered how I missed them. (Yes, I know - what happens in the background stays in the background).

Expertly done from start to finish, fun listen.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#545448 - 07/14/19 11:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: BlueAttitude]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I agree 100% about nothing like having a real drummer on your track! Man, what a great sound! You can do some amazing things with realdrums/ezdrummer2, etc., but nothing beats the real thing, assuming the drummer is a good player, and Caaron is great in my book. Not to mention they are very well recorded, not easy to do.

Great song too of course! Nice dynamics and production. Wasn't sure if I liked that hard left panned guitar at first, but it grew on me.

Vocals are great, and the janettes always deliver the goods.

Great stuff, listened a couple of times.

Dave - I KNEW you would really appreciate these drums!! (I know I do!)
The hard pan on the guitar came about because I originally had the guitar that balances that out (on the other side) playing from the beginning. When I decided to bring it in later, I considered less pan on the single guitar, but decided to just leave it as it was. Like you said, you do "get used to it" after a few listens...

#545481 - 07/14/19 03:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: Jim]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jim
Man...
You guys really deliver on the goods...
Congratulations to all of you for a job well done!

Thanks, Jim. We appreciate that...

#545485 - 07/14/19 03:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Sweet! Hats off to all and another wonderful song by Floyd.

#545493 - 07/14/19 03:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia

As always your production really shines.
Great lyrics that are very catchy.
Great job on this Floyd. Rob

#545505 - 07/14/19 05:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
That is very cool to have a live drummer playing on your track. Sounds excellent. Super vocal and lyric Floyd. Loved the guitar as well. Well done

#545538 - 07/15/19 06:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Comfort Zone (w/ Drums by HearToLearn) [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Very nice.... I'll have to listen on my buds to get the "full effect" of the 8 tracks of drums....

I like the song.... a nice country rocker.

EDIT: I listened on my buds to hear the nuances. You know, you really have to hand it to PG Music for the realism of their Real Tracks. Heck, they have fooled people who are native players of a given instrument. That said.... you really can appreciate the sound of the "real thing" when it's recorded correctly and those drums sound good.

To my ears, the vox and guitars sounded a bit too dry for my taste, but all in all you have a nice sounding, clean mix, going on.

Edited by Guitarhacker (07/15/19 09:49 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32841 Members
68 Forums
66126 Topics
561470 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
uhv14437@cuoly.c, Chris52, EyalSavab, Christmas Music, Calceus

32841 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 175
VideoTrack 154