Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#549276 - 08/13/19 07:19 PM [User Showcase] Play in the Ruins
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

I wrote the title phrase thinking it sounded happy/sad.
The song followed that thought...a bit of a follow on from my last posting.

Play In The Ruins

Style is _HOMESIK.STY (Homesick Soft Pop Serenade)

RealTracks in style: ~2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2195:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPopHeld Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 3059:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Muted16thsFintan Ev16 080
RealTracks in song: 2668:Pedal Steel, Background WestCoastBallad Ev 065
RealDrums [in style:CongasEv16[single] [Multi]

Play In The Ruins

boats of sticks and hollow shoes
eyes of grey race eyes of blue
the river takes all you`ve won

throwing mud into the light
propeller arms no more fight
father carries the son

nothing more to be done
we play
play in the ruins

so the days tumble down
running through this scowling town
angels of rain will overcome

draw balloons in scrapbook clouds
write something the heart allows
father`s stories of the son

nothing more to be done
we play
play in the ruins

torn up ticket for someplace new
eyes of grey face eyes of blue
patch the pieces into a song

all borne away in time
leaving only love
behind the saintly moon
gather in remembered rooms
father carried by the son

nothing more to be done
we play
play in the ruins
play
play in the ruins

© Robert Cordrey July, 2019

#549279 - 08/13/19 07:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Robert

Lovely tune - very much liked the harmonies, and of course your always interesting lyrics.

Very nice indeed.

Peter

#549288 - 08/13/19 08:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Very Neil Young Old Man in the intro.
Your voice sounds much clearer and unaffected in this and all the better for it.
Very cool.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#549346 - 08/14/19 07:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow - I really enjoyed this one! It has a sincerity to it, and your harmonies here are stunning. It is really captivating, and I thought the lyrics were attention grabbing too. It all sounds so clear and concise. Really easy to follow, and not overbearing at all to listen to.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile

#549394 - 08/14/19 12:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Nicely done & engaging...
I really liked the way the melody, chords changes, & lyrics came together on the line...
"nothing more to be done"...
For some reason this line really caught my attention...
Your vocals & harmonies really shine on this piece...
And I thoroughly enjoyed listening!

#549441 - 08/14/19 02:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia

This is really likeable. Robert you always give us something outside
the box and that's a good thing. Great mix and performance. Rob4580

#549448 - 08/14/19 03:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Great work on this Robert, what a marvelous song I might say! I found this very easy to listen and the mix sounds well polished too. Fantastic work on the vocals. Great work!

#549463 - 08/14/19 04:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Wonderful circle-of-life lyric. Love the sparse and building backing. Altogether an extremely pleasing listen.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#549474 - 08/14/19 04:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Really great use of the _HOMESIK style! Thanks for sharing it with us.

#549491 - 08/14/19 06:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Jim]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert

Lovely tune - very much liked the harmonies, and of course your always interesting lyrics.

Very nice indeed.

Peter

Thank you, Peter- especially good to know the harmonies worked.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Very Neil Young Old Man in the intro.
Your voice sounds much clearer and unaffected in this and all the better for it.
Very cool.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - I really enjoyed this one! It has a sincerity to it, and your harmonies here are stunning. It is really captivating, and I thought the lyrics were attention grabbing too. It all sounds so clear and concise. Really easy to follow, and not overbearing at all to listen to.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile

Deryk,
I`m glad you found the lyrics interesting and understandable.
Thank you for all your positive comments.

Originally Posted By: Jim
Nicely done & engaging...
I really liked the way the melody, chords changes, & lyrics came together on the line...
"nothing more to be done"...
For some reason this line really caught my attention...
Your vocals & harmonies really shine on this piece...
And I thoroughly enjoyed listening!

Jim,
I appreciate those likes!

Robert

#549505 - 08/14/19 11:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Robert,

Engaging opening—love the simplicity, openness of this. Terrific harmonies here—melody and lyrics drip with mood and atmosphere. From a production standpoint, pretty much perfect, though I’m wondering if the vocal is a bit too forward—just a tad; perhaps dial it back just a touch??? Just a suggestion for you to think about—this is pretty stellar as is . . . so don’t mess with it too much.

Very impressive piece, Robert. Very pretty—well done!

My best to you,

Deej

#549583 - 08/15/19 11:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Mark K Offline
Apprentice

Enjoyable listen. The Congas was just the right amount of drums/percussion for this song.

#549695 - 08/15/19 06:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Awesome tune Robert. Love your folk songs. Super vocal and harmonies. Very cool intro and backtrack. As always super lyric. Well done

#549722 - 08/16/19 03:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nicely done, Robert! Nice choice of instrumentation, fits the song well. Especially like the congas and that 3059 realtrack.

Great job processing the vocals! Just the right amount of fx.

The lead vocal sounds a little hot through the 'phones but is fine over the monitors. Could maybe drop it 2db or so, but not a big deal.

Good song, always enjoy your work.

#549742 - 08/16/19 05:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Robert,
Simply amazing! Beautiful poetry! Some harmony twists caught me by surprise... in a very good way smile
Percussion choice works very well on this. Would not change a thing.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#549762 - 08/16/19 09:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Beautiful folky melody with right amount of melancholy. That acoustic guitar is a great selection, works well with your voice. Nice harmonies.

As always, your words are full of touching real life images, and I like how you describe the writing process. Although the words are so vivid that they don't need a picture, this song would be a good material to be played in an indie movie.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#549789 - 08/16/19 11:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
"torn up ticket for someplace new
eyes of grey face eyes of blue
patch the pieces into a song"

Wow!

Your vocals seem to be more and more nuanced. Really nice.

Outstanding band and mix. We very much liked the congas and the held bass.

Engaging and memorable. Very cinematic in feel...can almost see film credits rolling by.

Excellent!

J&B

#549809 - 08/16/19 01:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Robert,

This is wonderful! I like everything about it.

A beautiful song.

Your vocal is, perhaps, your all time best. Well recorded, very "musical", and well mixed.

The BAND choice is perfect. I'm a big fan of that acoustic guitar RT. The e. piano adds a delicious flavor. The congas - perfect. And the steel puts it over the top. This band should "get the call" often - an albums worth.

Super mix.

Outstanding in all regards.

fj

#549822 - 08/16/19 03:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
One of your best, I think (though I've not heard all), congas really drive it and pedal steel somehow works, too. Great job!!

Edited by TuneMonger (08/16/19 03:26 PM)

#549840 - 08/16/19 06:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Play in the Ruins [Re: Deej56]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob4580

This is really likeable. Robert you always give us something outside
the box and that's a good thing. Great mix and performance. Rob4580

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great work on this Robert, what a marvelous song I might say! I found this very easy to listen and the mix sounds well polished too. Fantastic work on the vocals. Great work!

That`s very kind- thanks Joe!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Wonderful circle-of-life lyric. Love the sparse and building backing. Altogether an extremely pleasing listen.

Glad the theme was clear and enjoyable- Thanks for your listen.

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Really great use of the _HOMESIK style! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ember,
Yes, a nice style that- all I added was the pedal steel.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Robert,

Engaging opening—love the simplicity, openness of this. Terrific harmonies here—melody and lyrics drip with mood and atmosphere. From a production standpoint, pretty much perfect, though I’m wondering if the vocal is a bit too forward—just a tad; perhaps dial it back just a touch??? Just a suggestion for you to think about—this is pretty stellar as is . . . so don’t mess with it too much.

Very impressive piece, Robert. Very pretty—well done!

My best to you,

Deej

Deej,
I appreciate those positives and agree about the vocal levels- dialed back a touch now,

Robert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 10 & MultiStyles PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

We've just released some amazing new Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 with 50 styles each for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Folk Celebration! These carefully crafted RealStyles include lo-fi acoustic guitar hip hop, triple-guitar garage rock, a barbeque boom-chick jam, slidin' lazy country blues, bolero and bossa nova fusion, a Gypsy and stride ballad, praise break organ jazz fusion, surfin' folk rock, barn dance old-time stomp 'n' clap, an acoustic folky blues jam, and so much more!

Introducing MultiStyles PAK 1! 30 MultiStyles containing 120 styles - that's a total of 150 Styles! We've included 10 MultiStyles each for Country, Jazz, and Rock-Pop. Our jazz greats MultiStyle allows you to switch between piano and guitar comping, or select from two different solos. Our Jamaican groove selecta allows you to switch from ska at one section to reggae, island groove, or reggae with sax solo at another. A Tex-Mex country MultiStyle allows you to switch between a regular-time and double-time feel. And that's just the beginning. There's so much more in store! Once you dive into these professionally-mixed MultiStyles, you'll wonder how you ever made due with only two substyles per song! Use one substyle for a softer intro, another one for a restrained breakdown, then throw in a different and energetic middle-eight, or change it up with a solo. The possibilities are endless!

And they're ON SALE!

Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special! www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Purchase MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)! Adding the 2021 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows purchase? No need to buy this separately, MultiStyles PAK 1 is included with it! www.pgmusic.com/addons.multistyles.php?os=win

Mac user? Click here for your OS specific product announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is HERE!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2020- save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks and the just-released MultiStyles PAK 1) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows at: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Forum Stats
33270 Members
67 Forums
66397 Topics
568819 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
duyenforex, Mohitvermaji51, ksheffer, thuyanhforex, HiTide

33270 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 266
Matt Finley 250