You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#550307 - 08/20/19 07:11 AM [User Showcase] Numb with Cindy Prince
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Firstly, thank you to each of you who listened and commented on my previous song "I am thinking of you". I appreciate each and every one of you. I don't want to put my thanks on that thread because it will go to the top of the board and I would rather post a new song. I hope that is okay with everyone here and that no-one is offended...

This is the third song for 50 90 (long...way to go). This one was also a co-write with the prolific Cindy Prince. A good old drinking song.

https://soundcloud.com/joannecoopersa/numb-with-cindy-prince

The lyrics are:
Numb
© 2019 Cindy Prince

I taste regret at the bottom of the bottle
Can't seem to climb up and over that rim
I make excuses, and I make up reasons
Whiskey is a lady by the name of Jim

I hate myself every morning after
But the enticement is stronger than me
I try to hide that I have a problem
I'd rather live in a drunken fantasy

Chorus
It all started with her leavin'
I tried to fill the empty space
I know that's not a reason
that I drink away her face?

One glass..Two glass...Three glass
Numb

Others tried to coax me into rehab
Sounded like a good idea at first
Until I had another dream of her
And woke up with a powerful thirst

Repeat chorus

The band was:

RealTracks in style: 909:Bass, Electric, SmoothPoppy Ev16 090
RealTracks in style: 2195:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPopHeld Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 676:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming FolkRockBritEighths Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2883:Pedal Steel, Background CountryEddy12-key Ev 085
RealDrums [in style:PopModernGrooveSync16^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
and RT805:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DrivingCountryBalladClean Ev

Your listens and/or comments are always much appreciated.

Edited by JoanneCooper (08/20/19 08:08 AM)

#550314 - 08/20/19 08:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi Joanne, fantastic choice of instrumentation on this. This sounds very full and I dig the overall timbres. Looking forward to hear more!

#550328 - 08/20/19 11:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Another nice collaboration...
I see cindyrella has 141 set of lyrics...
She seems to quite a prolific popular lyricist with the 50/90 participants...
I listened to some of their collaborations also...
And like yours...
Some of them sound quite good...
So I'll bet you'll going to find more inspirational material from her you can use.

#550389 - 08/20/19 05:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
I think you used the pedal steel really well in this song. Thanks for taking the time to share your song with us here on the forums!

#550394 - 08/20/19 05:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Hi Joanne,

It is a very nice song which I truly enjoyed listening to!

Is it perfect? No. I think you should experiment a little bit when you make your next song, so that the background harmonies maybe becomes a bit more challenging by not just following the songs melody line, but also use complimentary harmonies that fits... not saying that you should start to make jazz music, but just be a little bit more adventurous... smile

I hope you don't get angry at me for writing that... I really like your song... just thinking a bit out of the box.

Will

#550417 - 08/20/19 11:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
A good melody for and rendering of the lyric.
The arrangement is pretty good but I reckon you could soften the aggressive electric with a little EQ and reverb to make it a better fit.
Excellent stuff.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#550418 - 08/21/19 12:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: SA, Australia
Not a big fan of drinking songs generally but this one was definitely worth listening to. Strong, flowing melody with well-matched refrain. Great vocals (as usual). Nice job, ladies!

#550444 - 08/21/19 07:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Oh yeah! You know I love your voice.... This sounds like it came straight off Joan Baez's Diamonds and Rust album......

I like this song. Nicely done.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#550449 - 08/21/19 07:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nicely done smile Really lush, and your vocals are tremendous on this one. Excellent execution and the harmonies are beautiful. Delightfully upbeat and catchy too, despite the somber subject matter.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!

#550480 - 08/21/19 09:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Another good collaboration, Joanne.
The hard edges in the lyrics tempered by your lovely vocal.
I like the simple arrangement ( I agree with RayC that the driving el.gtr sounds a little harsh).
Keep them coming!

Robert

#550615 - 08/22/19 03:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Hi Joanne,

I think moste of us can realate to what you're singing about so appealingly. Yes, this one reminds on Joan Baez, but your voice is pretty unique - I love the way you sing.

Some folks mentioned that electric guitar - I might agree that it might be defused a bit by certain EQing, but after all that is a matter of taste, and one could argue for having it exactly that way, too, I think.

All in all a very, very nice collab !!!

Take care,

Stefan

#550617 - 08/22/19 03:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Joe, Ember, Ghostgum, Herb, Deryk, Robert and Stephan. Thanks so much for the comments. Keep them coming!

Jim, glad to see you keeping up-to-date with what is happening on 50 90... yes Cindy is an amazing lyricist. Just wish I had more time smile

Will, Thanks for listening and commenting. I do get a bit "stuck in a rut" with my harmonies. They are a little formulaic. I do need to switch it up a bit....

RayC - Thanks for your comments. I am always appreciative of the mixing tips you give.

#550621 - 08/22/19 05:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
I thought this to be a really good song, quality write. I enjoyed my listen.

#550862 - 08/23/19 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really well-written song!! Well sung too! Heavy subject matter handled in a creative and powerful way. Great job!! Take care. Greg

#550969 - 08/24/19 06:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Just a lovely song. Beautiful vocal.

#551202 - 08/25/19 01:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Joanne/Cindy,

You did a fine job on this. If you "fix" that guitar (get it more in the background, diffused a bit), it works well. I like the harmonies, actually, though some of the higher ones need to be "softer" to avoid the "generated" sound. A good listen.

I thought I was about to listen to a song called "Numb With Cindy Prince" and I thought "What a COOL title!!" (I may have to steal it).

Edited by floyd jane (08/25/19 01:46 PM)

#551413 - 08/26/19 07:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
I've become a big fan, love your voice, material and production. Not much to say except keep them coming!

#551506 - 08/27/19 08:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Joan Baez...the lost tapes

Very nice!

J&B

#551605 - 08/27/19 07:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
What they said!

When I looked the first line of the song in the post the other day, I thought "Not a drinking song..." and skipped it.

Which is odd, because there's hasn't been a glut of drinking songs here or anything. I guess I just didn't feel like listening to some slow, morose tune.

But I thought better of it this evening, and scrolled down to have a listen.

Of course, I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks! laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#551906 - 08/30/19 09:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Numb with Cindy Prince [Re: JoanneCooper]
Mark K Offline
Apprentice

Beautiful song for difficult subject.

PG Music News
Happy Thanksgiving!

Today our friends in the USA are celebrating Thanksgiving!

Our hours are not affected - we are here until 6pm PST!

We hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving!

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Mac is Here!

Ci sono oltre 50 nuove funzionalità in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Ci sono miglioramenti ai RealTracks (RealTracks vocali dal suono più fluido, Ispessimento RealTracks, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" e MultiRiffs). La maggior parte dei RealDrums ora hanno RealCharts (con un'accurata Notazione di Batteria). C'è un nuovo Browser dell'artista RealTracks per trovare informazioni /bios/collegamenti/ elenchi di RealTracks su tutti gli artisti. Un nuovo Browser delle Funzionalità consente all'utente nuovo o "smemorato" di trovare e utilizzare facilmente la maggior parte delle funzionalità/tasti di scelta rapida/documenti da un'unica finestra. Equalizza Tempo consente di cambiare una canzone registrata in rubato in un tempo fisso. Stiramento del tempo/tono dell'audio migliorato (Elastique) incluso. Ci sono miglioramenti di SongPicker, Auto-Intro di Basso/Batteria o Batteria solo, 3.400 titoli aggiunti, miglioramenti di MusicXML, chitarra "per mancini" e "Vista Studente", miglioramenti del trascinamento della selezione, visualizzazione multi-finestra dell’analizzatore degli accordi audio e altro ancora!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO!!

Forum Stats
33226 Members
67 Forums
66152 Topics
567320 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
ChrisCoburgDe, Douglas Crane, tntxcarl, Jartsu, mpt

33225 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 197