You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#556184 - 09/23/19 06:34 PM [User Showcase] New Song - A Quarter To Nine
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

I wasn't really planning on writing a song. But this phrase just popped into my brain, "a quarter to ten". I thought this could make a hook in a song. Then I thought there would be more rhyming and meter options if it was "a quarter to nine". Then, I realized that just happened to be about the time of evening that I had my first meaningful conversation (in other words, leading to our first date) with the beautiful girl that would become my wife of over 43 years now.

I met my wife briefly at South Padre (Texas), where we were both performing in a music festival. A few weeks later a mutual friend played matchmaker and brought to my attention that this beautiful girl was interested in me. Her band was playing at a mission in downtown Houston that Saturday night. I went to hear them, and the rest is history! (I hope I didn't overestimate your interest in this, and that you enjoy the song!)

Piano, organ, strings and percussion are all Native Instruments softsynth sounds I played. The rest is RealTracks and RealDrums...

A Quarter To Nine - Video

A Quarter To Nine - Soundcloud

A Quarter To Nine
©Stephen W. Young

There was a mission in downtown Houston
Singing songs of redemption
Saturday nights and a hot meal
Reaching out to the man on the run
Always sure to find one
Giving all for something real

I heard about her from an old friend
I went to hear the band she was in
At the mission in downtown Houston
And when she sat down next to me
It was plain that it was meant to be
I knew she was mine for the first time
At a quarter to nine

She had the voice of an angel
Could make you smile when it's painful
The one you look all your life to find
I was young and free as the wind
Not much money, but rich in friends
But it was clear, we started a lifetime
At a quarter to nine

At a quarter to nine...
That's when my heart started keeping time
At a quarter to nine...
I knew everything had changed
At a quarter to nine...
That's when my heart changed my mind
At a quarter to nine

I was young and free as the wind
Not much money, but rich in friends
But it was clear, we started a lifetime
At a quarter to nine
At a quarter to nine
At a quarter to nine

===

And here are the RT's/RD's...
RealTracks in song: 1254:Bass, Electric, PopShiningSync Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2780:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Songwriter8thsBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2541:Pedal Steel, Background ModernPopCountry Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 1850:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningGrittyMuted Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 3203:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist RnBPopBrent Ev 110
RealDrums [in Song:NashvilleEven8^3-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

[size:14pt][/size]

#556186 - 09/23/19 07:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hello Steve. This ticks all the boxes as do all your songs.
I really enjoyed the chorus and the sentiment of the story line.
Thanks for posting. Rob4580

#556194 - 09/23/19 10:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
The RTs are well selected and the stuff you played really added the gloss.
You did a cool job recording the vocals.
Well done.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#556216 - 09/24/19 03:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Tangmo Online   content
Expert

"That's when my heart changed my mind." Oh yeah.

You can never over-estimate my interest in the topic of this song. You really kept this kitchen-table close, lifted at the right moments with your fills and with the tasteful but exciting little instrumental breaks. Until. Until. You opened up with the change-up and the harmonies. SWEET!

Altogether a delicious package that has the added benefit of sounding good. I really like this.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#556229 - 09/24/19 06:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Lovely song Stephen. Super vocal and lyric. What a wonderful way to meet you future life partner. Thanks for sharing..

#556233 - 09/24/19 07:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work on this - delightfully catchy and easy to follow. Some interesting lyrics too smile Thanks for sharing!

#556262 - 09/24/19 12:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Hmmm....well we have a list of the excellent aspects of this tune:

- the lyric
- the melody
- the vocals - all of them
- the arrangement
- the instrumental performances
- the RT/RD choice
- the mix - wow, what a soundstage!

You have a wonderful way of delivering personal heartfelt vocals without getting all angsty...but with all the emotion needed to pull the listener in for the story. Nobody would walk away from this without understanding the depth of y'all's relationship.

Hey, nice photo in the vid!

J&B

#556273 - 09/24/19 03:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
A lot to like here, but the background vocals especially were outstanding IMHO. The mix was terrific, too. And I liked the rhyming of angel and painful, worked very well for me.

#556287 - 09/24/19 05:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Janice & Bud pretty much said everything I was thinking! Really wonderful job on the song.

#556367 - 09/25/19 07:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Steve...

Awesome song in all regards.

Love! the beat of this - right off the bat.

The addition of the organ in the 2nd verse is the perfect touch (and man! it sounds good!)...and the steel at just the right time. Ditto the piano in the 3rd. Very cool BGVs. And that little touch of steel at the end. All indications of a man who knows how to produce a good song.

Your vocals are ALWAYS good.
Your mix is ALWAYS good.

"But it was clear, we started a lifetime
At a quarter to nine"
What a great line - and great summary...

A solid write start to finish.

This might be my favorite of yours (among so many).

SO good from every angle.

fj

#556397 - 09/25/19 10:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
SWEET!!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!! AWESOME!!!! If I were running advertising for PG music, I would use this track to show what the program can do in the right hands!! Beyond the great track, wonderful use of the instruments, and great vocal, the writing is AMAZING!!! "We started a life time at a quarter to nine"........what a creative and fresh approach to thinking and writing. So much of the way we speak and write is generic......we fall into the same patterns. This is SOOOOOOO creative!! LOVE THIS SONG Steve!!!!! Take care. Greg

#556420 - 09/25/19 12:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Very nice romantic backstory for the appropriate title and the touching lyrics.
I like the development to the catchy chorus, the verses have that excitement of what's coming for the lifetime.
I like your vocals including the backing in the chorus. The arrangement is quite delicate, which is nice, although I was expecting fireworks in the end smile

Janne

#556435 - 09/25/19 02:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Expert

Loc: Central Ohio
Wonderful record. Great story!
Reaper/Audacity
TASCAM DP 03 SD|Digital deck

#556490 - 09/25/19 08:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Online   content
Apprentice

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi Steve
First class in every respect. A really beautiful job.
Regards,
Leon

#556512 - 09/26/19 01:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Steve

A lovely song and floyd & Janice & Bud all made excellent comments about just how lovely.

A really great piece of work with a memorable melody and top notch production.

Peter

#556516 - 09/26/19 03:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Excellent! I can't add more to what has already been said, I'll just say that I really enjoyed this song, my new favorite from you.

Blue Attitude Website

#556890 - 09/28/19 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Mark K Offline
Apprentice

Awesome song. I think I can learn a lot about arranging and production by careful listening to this.

#556904 - 09/28/19 02:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

All top notch and sounds full and complete , I really enjoyed this .

Thanks
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 ,Byerdynamic 770 pro, akg k270,akg k701.
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

#557050 - 09/29/19 04:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Tangmo]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hello Steve. This ticks all the boxes as do all your songs.
I really enjoyed the chorus and the sentiment of the story line.
Thanks for posting. Rob4580

Thanks so much,Rob! Glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted By: rayc
The RTs are well selected and the stuff you played really added the gloss.
You did a cool job recording the vocals.
Well done.

Thank you, Ray. Really appreciate your kind comments!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
"That's when my heart changed my mind." Oh yeah.

You can never over-estimate my interest in the topic of this song. You really kept this kitchen-table close, lifted at the right moments with your fills and with the tasteful but exciting little instrumental breaks. Until. Until. You opened up with the change-up and the harmonies. SWEET!

Altogether a delicious package that has the added benefit of sounding good. I really like this.

Tangmo, thanks for dropping in and listening, and offering your kind words! Glad I didn't overestimate your interest in the how the song came about! smile So glad you like this one!

===

Steve

#557056 - 09/29/19 05:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Dang... you already had me hook, line and sinker, and then the harmonies kicked in.

I'll just say I agree with all the superlatives, and congratulate you on your excellent choice in friends. laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32846 Members
68 Forums
66147 Topics
561638 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
AveryT, Hans Franz 12, Marik, midisynth, uhv14437@cuoly.c

32845 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 172
VideoTrack 154