Loc: Windsor, Ontario
Marty Ricciotti Offline
Enthusiast

Honey by Jubilee Reed

Honey

song #2 from soon to be released EP

A love song to her Hubby.

We started off with the full Band from the _CSWINGA.STY style and used it (especially the drum track) when we did the main vocal and the guitar tracks.
Then we deleted all of the BIAB tracks until there were none left and then added the Bowed Bass and it gave the effect that Jubilee wanted. (I also did some EQ on the bass and it seemed bring out the sound of the actual bow. not just low bass tones)

So this song is very minimalist with just the finger style acoustic guitar and the bowed bass starts half way through.

The harmonies start about there too and by the end of the song there are 3 harmony tracks.
I had to set the reverb to “In your face” for the main vocal to get clarity. Also using short delay on the main vocal.

The harmonies have reverb setting called “Bright Studio”. Harmony volume is set about 10dB less than the main vocal.

Enjoy!

Honey
Jubilee Reed

Cold creeps in the cracks
Winter came upon us
We weren’t ready
If we start to look back, I’m afraid that we could get stuck there
I’m afraid that we could get lost there

Honey, will you move forward with me?

My hand is outstretched, just waiting for you to come and take it
Don’t dwell on the past
I am sure there are better things
Oh, I know there are better things ahead

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Honey
Key=D , Tempo 110, Length (m:s)=3:42
Style is _CSWINGA.STY (Country Swing w/ Acoustic Guitar)

Real tracks:2482 Bowed Bass held EV85

Edited by Marty Ricciotti (11/06/19 03:03 PM)

#562675 - 11/05/19 05:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Expert

Just a minor thing or two for me. I had the song turned up loud at the beginning and I can hear noise with the acoustic guitar.

The only other thing I could find is that maybe her vocal could benefit from a de-esser. Note the first lyric at the word "creeps". Very heavy "S" there.....

Another excellent song overall, well done.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#562686 - 11/05/19 06:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Marty Ricciotti Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Steve:
I noticed the guitar noise too. Not sure how to get rid of it.
and i will take a listen for the ess's

#562745 - 11/06/19 06:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

If the guitar is live, it's a matter of proper recording technique to minimize the noise. Noise will be there in any track. The key is to get a good balance where the noise is as low as possible.
Since we're talking technical things on this thread.... I'd look at the EQ on JR's voice and pull down some of the mids. Thin it out a bit. It's in the same general area as the acoustic guitar. Maybe back off the reverb a bit and get her voice more upfront and intimate vs back in the room and verbed. The verb may be accounting for the predominance of the mids that I'm hearing. Some voices, hers, for example, don't need a lot of reverb to hide behind. Back it down until you can barely tell it's there, then go a tad further. Or.... run the track dry and put a mild dark plate on the master.

Aside from those things.... man this is really good. Great job.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#562751 - 11/06/19 06:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work on this one Marty - I like the minimalist approach and found it nicely catchy too. It makes for an engaging listen and pretty solid tune.

Thanks for sharing smile

#562772 - 11/06/19 08:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
sslechta Offline
Expert

P.S. - Depending on what DAW you are using, you may be able to apply a noise gate to that guitar track. The gate takes any sound below the threshold you set and makes it silent. You may have to play with settings so you don't cause an issue on the guitar sound itself. Are you just using BIAB or do you bring the tracks in to another DAW?

PG's Dynamics......
PG Dynamics Compressor with Expander/Gate

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.

#562779 - 11/06/19 10:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Marty Ricciotti Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Steve:
I export the BIAB tracks to Reaper.
All of the vocal and guitar tracks are recorded in Reaper.
I think Reaper allows you to apply "effects" on the way in so maybe that would be a good spot to put the noise gate?

So much support here.
So Awesome!

#562785 - 11/06/19 10:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Yes sir, Reaper should work. Most of the compressors in there should have an Expander/Gate feature. You want to set the threshold as low as possible so the noise cuts out without cutting the guitar playing. If the noise level on the track is too high, you may not be able to cut it out completely. Just try it out and tweak the settings and see if you get some improvement you like. Googling something like "Compressor and Gate settings" may reveal some links to help you in getting set up initially. Hope this helps.
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
If the guitar is live, it's a matter of proper recording technique to minimize the noise. Noise will be there in any track. The key is to get a good balance where the noise is as low as possible.

Good tip here. The noise may have been caused by not having the mic input turned up high enough, resulting in a quiet signal. You need to turn up the mic so that it's not pegging the meters but not too low to get that noise. smile

Steve

#562800 - 11/06/19 01:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Great singing, reminded me of Ingrid Michaelson. Nice work!

#562839 - 11/06/19 05:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
I can definitely feel the love in this song! Lovely tune, and a great vocals. Thanks for sharing!

#563110 - 11/08/19 04:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Marty,

You and Jubilee have done a terrific job.

I really like that bowed bass with the guitar. I've never tried that combination. You've given my imagination a vitamin shot!

I enjoyed listening.
Noel

#569091 - 12/06/19 09:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Loc: Oklahoma
jimmadsen Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Oklahoma
I like it - well done!

Jim
Oklahoma City, OK
https://SingingDogStudios.com/
https://soundcloud.com/singingdogstudios

#569215 - 12/07/19 02:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Both pretty and well performed!

A bit ethereal...

Enjoyed it!

J&B

#569336 - 12/08/19 10:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Nicely written & performed...
I guess missed this one the 1st time around...
But I'm happy I had another chance!

#569526 - 12/09/19 10:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Marty Ricciotti Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Jim and Jim and Janice and Bud.

I had to look up "ethereal"

Yup I agree.

extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world.
"her ethereal beauty"

#569528 - 12/09/19 10:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
I like the instruments you chose to compliment the vocal. Well done all the way around. Don't fret too much about the guitar noise.(I'm hearing moans about that one.) It really is the song is what matters.
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#569766 - 12/10/19 03:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Very pretty song!! She is very talented......beautiful voice and very soulful style!! Very "today" sound! Nicely done!! Take care. Greg

#569786 - 12/10/19 05:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Marty Ricciotti Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you Greg. I sent your comments on to Jubilee and she is very pleased.
Now I need to get her to buckle down and finish off the artwork for these tracks so she can release her EP to spotify!

Maybe early January now. after Christmas

#569968 - 12/11/19 01:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honey by Jubilee Reed [Re: Marty Ricciotti]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
That is a super song Marty! I am really impressed with the vocalist on this ( if you decide to mix again at some point, having the lead vocal slightly louder wouldn't hurt it at all) her work on this is as good as it gets! Great work on the instrumentation, it all works so well! Thanks, Torrey

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32846 Members
68 Forums
66147 Topics
561644 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
AveryT, Hans Franz 12, Marik, midisynth, uhv14437@cuoly.c

32845 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 172
VideoTrack 154