Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#563835 - 11/12/19 06:14 PM [User Showcase] Written (a floyd jane write)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Written

Six years ago Janice sang harmony with floyd on his song Written. We always thought Written ranked with the absolute best of the classic country tears in your beer songs...period. The two of us have long appreciated this style and during our band days we performed some of those classics. I had been thinking about a country project and asked Janice about this tune. She was reticent as floyd had sung such a powerhouse version of it. But I prevailed smile and asked floyd his thoughts which resulted in a “heck yeah!”response.

So....a brief sojourn back to the country.

Both comments and your time to listen are most appreciated.

Thanks floyd for the many collabs and support...it’s been a fun six years!
Oh, gotta mention that we stole his arrangement...from start to finish.

Drums: NashvilleWaltzSw^6-a:HiHat , b:Sidestick, Hihat
Bass: RT 1121 Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 085
Piano Rhythm: MIDI SuperTrack 2259 CountryWaltzJohn Sw 085
Piano Solo: MIDI SuperTrack 2250 Soloist CountryWaltzJohn Sw 085
Electric Guitar: RT 980 Rhythm CountryWaltzCleanA-B Sw 085
Acoustic Guitar: RT 3176 Rhythm CampfireSlowWaltz Sw 085
Pedal Steel: RT 1126 Rhythm CountryWaltz Sw 085

Thank you Peter for the opening acoustic guitar chord! smile

The piano and steel tracks were comped from multiple generations.

Equipment/DAW: Logic Pro X, Rodes NT1 mic and Scarlett 212 interface

Track plugins: Waves CLA Vocals, Waves Bass Rider, Waves CLA Unplugged, Waves CLA Drums, Neutron 2, Logic Pro amp sim and Ozone 8 Imager.

Mastering: Logic Pro EQ > Waves Multi Band Compressor (LinMB) > Ozone Imager > Ozone Maximizer > Ozone Tonal Balance

Written

i'm all messed up...

my world's been shattered
when you found a new life
mine was torn in two
i can't use a heart
so broken and battered
so you keep the pieces
they all still belong to you

your name is written
on my very soul
marked so deeply
and it may never let go
there's a picture of you
on the tiniest part
your name is written
on every piece of my broken heart

REPEAT CHORUS

your name is written
on every piece of my broken heart

© 1998 floyd jane

J&B Soundcloud
J&B YouTube
J&B Website

#563845 - 11/12/19 06:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

J&B & Floyd,
Sitting back and savouring the nuances and feeling of Janice`s wonderful vocals ( the harmony track as good as the lead)- guess there`s nothing else I want to listen to now!
Others who know country classics better than I may draw comparisons, but why not just admit this song is on a par with the best teary hits ever?
Love everything about this... and, thanks as I wasn`t around for the earlier version.

Robert

#563858 - 11/12/19 09:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Journeyman

Hi all
Floyd's lyrics, Janis' wonderful vocal (and those backing vocals - wow) plus a pedal steel guitar.
Who could ask for more?
Regards,
Leon

#563875 - 11/13/19 12:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Dear Janice, dear Bud, dear Floyd,

maybe you remember that very early Stones song 'It's The Singer, Not The Song'.

Well that's not always true (there are songs even a bad singer couldn't really spoil), but when I hear you singing, Janice, it's just your voice, your phrasing, your soulfulness that draws my full attention and keeps on giving me shivers on my back. So beautiful, so emotional...

You have got to know me a bit meanwhile and you know that I'm not that country guy. But I sure can tell wether or not a composition is outstanding. And, heck, this one is so darn good.

And although I don't have any experience in the genre, I felt right from the start that this composition must have been written some time ago - scrolling down: Yes,1998 - a bit different from the way Floyd writes today, but still amazingly good.

Your and Floyd's musical connections are really something very special and precious.

Bud, you arranged the song so well and made it sound so beautiful- you really have the hang of that matter, no doubt about that !

Awesome in every respect !!!

Truly,

Stefan

#563881 - 11/13/19 01:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Country soul burner to my ears.
More Floyd fabulousness but through the J&B lens.
Loved it.

Edited by rayc (11/13/19 01:36 AM)
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#563947 - 11/13/19 06:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Robertkc]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J&B & Floyd,
Sitting back and savouring the nuances and feeling of Janice`s wonderful vocals ( the harmony track as good as the lead)- guess there`s nothing else I want to listen to now!
Others who know country classics better than I may draw comparisons, but why not just admit this song is on a par with the best teary hits ever?
Love everything about this... and, thanks as I wasn`t around for the earlier version.

Robert

Thank you Robert for your comment on the vocals and we could not agree more with your feelings about floyd’s write.

J&B

J&B Soundcloud
J&B YouTube
J&B Website

#563963 - 11/13/19 07:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nicely done - loved the vocals on this. As usual, Janice knocked it out of the part. Those harmonies are top notch, and I like how gentle it is. Loving the groove too.

Thanks for sharing smile

#563969 - 11/13/19 07:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Sounds so good without Floyd! wink Just kidding.... Nicely re-done. I love the mix and vocals.

FJ/J&B, you happen to have a link for the old post from 6 years ago? I wouldn't mind hearing the differences between the two versions. Thanks!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win10 PRO, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#563975 - 11/13/19 08:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Leon1]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi all
Floyd's lyrics, Janis' wonderful vocal (and those backing vocals - wow) plus a pedal steel guitar.
Who could ask for more?
Regards,
Leon

Thanks for all Leon and glad you liked the steel.

J&B

J&B Soundcloud
J&B YouTube
J&B Website

#563985 - 11/13/19 09:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I don't remember this one from before, must have been when I took some time off from music and didn't hang out here much.

Excellent song! floyd knows how to write them, that's for sure.

Man, I always love hearing Janice sing, especially when she brings in the harmonies! Such a great sound.

Good job on the production and mix as usual, Bud! CLA Vocals sound great! A little more reverb than when you were using Nectar maybe? Whatever, I really like the sound.

Really good, enjoyed!

#564008 - 11/13/19 11:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Alabama
cliftond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alabama
Yeah that is a classic country tune for sure, Great job Janice on the vocal, and the production is top line!! Always like good country and this is good country Cliff

#564034 - 11/13/19 03:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Your name is written on every piece of my broken heart

That totally slays me, just destroys me in every way possible.

So, mission accomplished!

#564035 - 11/13/19 03:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Crossroads]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Dear Janice, dear Bud, dear Floyd,

maybe you remember that very early Stones song 'It's The Singer, Not The Song'.

Well that's not always true (there are songs even a bad singer couldn't really spoil), but when I hear you singing, Janice, it's just your voice, your phrasing, your soulfulness that draws my full attention and keeps on giving me shivers on my back. So beautiful, so emotional...

You have got to know me a bit meanwhile and you know that I'm not that country guy. But I sure can tell wether or not a composition is outstanding. And, heck, this one is so darn good.

And although I don't have any experience in the genre, I felt right from the start that this composition must have been written some time ago - scrolling down: Yes,1998 - a bit different from the way Floyd writes today, but still amazingly good.

Your and Floyd's musical connections are really something very special and precious.

Bud, you arranged the song so well and made it sound so beautiful- you really have the hang of that matter, no doubt about that !

Awesome in every respect !!!

Truly,

Stefan

We appreciate that Stefan and even more given that it is not a familiar genre for you. We like to say that for us if the tune has soul then the genre is irrelevant.

Thanks for mentioning the arrangement but I stole it from floyd!

J&B

J&B Soundcloud
J&B YouTube
J&B Website

#564036 - 11/13/19 03:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Nashville Tennessee
Teletwanger Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Nashville Tennessee
Wow! Just wow! Excellent all the way around. Great song and phenomenal voice. Wow!

#564044 - 11/13/19 05:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
The piano solo sounded really great in this, and it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun with this song in particular! Thanks for sharing.

#564051 - 11/13/19 05:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janice & Bud

Not unexpectedly this floyd jane song is simply stunning.

Truly wonderful vocals (those harmonies are lovely) drive a beautifully written piece.

An excellent intelligent set of lyrics, on a great musical bed.

Bud - nice work on the mix everything sits as it should and enhances the musicality of the song.

A great job all round on this classic sounding song.

Peter

#564058 - 11/13/19 09:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Leon1 Offline
Journeyman

Hi J&B
I do love that steel sound.
And my apologies for calling you Janis, Janice. The poor old brain lets me down at times.
Regards,
Leon

#564069 - 11/13/19 11:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Defiantly a tear in your beer song.
Well done on the production and great lyrics.
Congrats to all involved. Rob4580

#564122 - 11/14/19 03:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
This team just keeps coming up with winners.

Wow, what a musical celebration.

Classy, start to finish. Outstanding vocals too (what else).
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#564186 - 11/14/19 12:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written (a floyd jane write) [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rayc
Country soul burner to my ears.
More Floyd fabulousness but through the J&B lens.
Loved it.

Love that description. Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done - loved the vocals on this. As usual, Janice knocked it out of the part. Those harmonies are top notch, and I like how gentle it is. Loving the groove too.

Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk. Janice really appreciates that!

J&B

J&B Soundcloud
J&B YouTube
J&B Website

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Spanish for Windows is Here!

En PG Music tenemos el placer de anunciar la disponibilidad de Band-in-a-Box 2021 en Español. Despues de arduo trabajo hemos agregado, entre otras cosas, 80 funciones nuevas y una gran colección de nuevas incorporaciones y contenido que incluyen 202 RealTracks, nuevos RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Estudios Instrumentales, Interpretaciones de Artistas, RealDrums 'Single' adicionales, transcripciones de RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 ¡y mucho mas!

Nuevas características | Todos los Paquetes

New Update Available for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 today!

We've applied some updates to a variety of Add-ons, improved transcriptions and simple tags, resolved playback issues with MIDI tracks, and more. Plus, this free update adds the latest DAW Plugin 3.46!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Polish for Windows is Here!

Efektem naszej ciężkiej pracy w ostatnim czasie jest m.in. dodanie 80 nowych funkcji i wspaniałej kolekcji nowych dodatków i zawartości, które obejmują 202 RealTracks, nowe RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Studia Instrumentalne, Wykonania Artystów, dodatkowe RealDrums "Pojedyncze ", transkrypcje RealDrums, pakiet MultiStyles PAK 1, Pakiet Xtra Styles PAK 10 i wiele innych!

Nowych | Pakiety

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Dutch for Windows is Here!

We zijn bezig geweest en hebben 80 nieuwe functies toegevoegd en een verbazingwekkende collectie van nieuwe inhoud, inclusief 202 RealTracks, nieuwe RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumentale Studies, Artiest Uitvoeringen, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums transcripties, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Stijlen PAK 10 en meer!

Nieuwe Functies | Pakketten

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Danish for Windows is Here!

Vi har haft travlt, og har tilføjet 80 nye funktioner og en fantastisk samling af nyt indhold, bl.a. 202 RealTracks, nye RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transsriptioner, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 og meget mere!

Hvan er Nyt | Pakker

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Update Available!

The latest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 update for Windows enhances the JukeBox, adds a "Set all tracks to this:" option to the MIDI import dialog, improves chord sheet view during playback, and more!

Learn more & download this free update.

Read the patch announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Swedish for Windows is Here!

Vi har varit flitiga och lagt till över 80 nya funktioner och en fantastisk samling av nytt innehåll, innefattande 202 RealTracks, nya RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, med mera!

Paket | Vad är nytt

Forum Stats
34260 Members
67 Forums
69135 Topics
593773 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
jsscsnow01, dberanek, PianoByIsobel, KennyH, json

34260 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 197