Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
D
danekma Offline OP
OP Offline
D
BIAB 2019 won't start after upgrade to Windows 10. BIAB logo shows briefly, then turns into black rectangle and that's all. Any suggestions?

Veteran
Veteran
Try right-clicking on the BIAB shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" -- this might help.

Also, did you fully power down and re-boot your computer after the upgrade?

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
If the above doesn’t help, try navigating to /BB and run as administrator the file BBW64.exe

Can we make the assumption that you had Windows 7 or 8 and BIAB worked fine, and the only thing you’ve changed is to upgrade to Windows 10?

What are you using for an audio interface? That would be the most likely culprit for a driver problem moving up to Windows 10.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
D
danekma Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Running BBW64.exe as administrator doesn't work either. Yes, my computer was fully powered down and re-booted several times after the upgrade.

BIAB worked fine on Windows 7. I use Lexicon Lambda for audio interface. Updated driver today, still the same problem.

I'm puzzled because RealBand works fine.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Another user encountered this issue recently and we were able to fix it. It is most likely due to PG Music chord and notation fonts that aren't installed properly - for some reason, upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 sometimes causes a condition where fonts are present but are not recognized by the system. This issue might affect other fonts on your system as well that aren't part of the standard Windows 10 install.

Download the build 639 patch from here:
https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patches/bb2019_win_update_build639.exe
This should allow Band-in-a-Box to open, however you'll notice that the chordsheet and notation window don't display properly.

Here is a procedure that should fix it.

1. Close Band-in-a-Box.

2. Navigate to the Fonts folder. The Fonts folder is located here: C:\Windows\Fonts. However, this is a "special" folder in that it shows you the title and groups of the fonts installed (e.g. "PGMusic F Regular"), but doesn't show you the actual individual files that are present.

We need to see these individual files. To do this, enter the following into the Windows Explorer address bar.

\\localhost\C$\Windows\Fonts

Here is a screenshot of this, to clarify. Note that the folder view in this image is set to details - this might help you find the files (click on the View tab, select details).

One symptom of this font problem is that the files do not display in the "fancy" font display (i.e. the font folder that you access via C:\Windows\Fonts) even though the files are present when viewed as a regular folder.

3. Locate and delete the following files if present. If the system won't let you delete them, then reboot your PC.

Pgchords.ttf
Pgjazz__.ttf
pgmus.ttf
Pgtext.ttf
Pgtextj_.tt
Pgtextje.ttf
BeStPlainXZ.ttf
RealScoreChord.ttf
BigBandChord.ttf

4. Reboot your PC.

5. Run the file C:\bb\Data\Installers\bbfonts.exe to install the PG Music fonts.

6. If the notation display is still blank in BB, then Reboot again

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 12/31/19 01:54 PM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
It could be the USB-connected Lexicon Lambda that is creating the stumbling block at the moment.

Just for the moment, close BIAB and then unplug any musical device that is connected to the computer including the Lexicon.

Now let's see if it's possible to get BIAB running using the computer's internal system. (We'll plug the devices back in later when things are going.)

Click on the URL link below, and setup the Audio and MIDI drivers exactly as shown. This is a good starting place to get things up and running.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=461558#Post461558

I've always found it good practice to start with the very basic and then add things one at a time until we find what is creating the issue.

Let us know how you go.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
D
danekma Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I downloaded and installed build 639 patch, and BIAB still won't open.

D
danekma Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Tried unplugging my audio interface (Lexicon). No change.

When I try to open BIAB I see the logo, then it's replaced by a black rectangle, and it stays that way. If I click, "bbw64.com is not responding" message pops up.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi again,

The next thing I'd try is the ultimate reset.

To do this...

1. Use Windows explorer to navigate to \bb\Preferences

2. rename the file INTRFACE.BBW to INTRFACE.BBW.OLD

3. Rename the file MYSETUP.DK to MYSETUP.DK.OLD

These are BIAB's preferences files and by renaming them, you are forcing BIAB to create new ones when it boots up.

4. Unplug the Lexicon

5. Start BIAB

All settings will be reset and audio and midi will need to be configured. To do this, just use the setup that I gave you at the link in my previous post.

NOTE: by renaming the above two files, it means that it's possible to get them back if needed.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Another thing to try is to disable your Network Adapter, your anti-virus and anything else that is running in the background like Anti-malware programs.

Seated at the restaurant, He "Darling can you say something that makes my heart beat faster"?
She "Your wife just walked in"!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:

Ok, did you follow the instructions I posted?

Edit: Open RealBand and try opening a notation window. If RealBand gives you an error message mentioning GetCharWidth, then we know it's the font problem that I suspect it is. If not, perhaps it is a different problem.

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 12/28/19 09:14 AM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
D
danekma Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Quote:

Ok, did you follow the instructions I posted?

Edit: Open RealBand and try opening a notation window. If RealBand gives you an error message mentioning GetCharWidth, then we know it's the font problem that I suspect it is. If not, perhaps it is a different problem.

I did, still the same effect, BIAB gets stuck on opening screen (BIAB logo).

D
danekma Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Also, I disabled Network Adapter, anti-virus, firewall, etc., that didn't help either.

As for removing interface/setup files, I don't see INTRFACE.BBW or MYSETUP.DK in \bb\Preferences
I found BBW2exe_Intrface.bbw in Data folder but removing it did not help.

Thank you for all your help so far!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Does the Notation Window in RealBand open properly? The answer will help alot.

To test, open RealBand and press Alt+F2 (hotkey to open a Notation Window).

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
D
danekma Offline OP
OP Offline
D
No, the Notation Window in RealBand does not open. I get an error message "GetCharWidth function call unsuccessful...".

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Exactly, so it's the font problem like I suspected.
All you should need to do is follow the instructions that I posted a few days ago, the part that starts with "Here is a procedure that should fix it."

I've added a screenshot and tried to clarify the wording a bit. If this doesn't fix the problem, you'll need to tell us specifically what you found so we can isolate what the problem step is. e.g. Did you find the files and delete them? Did you run the font installer? etc. Once the fonts are installed and displaying in the the C:\Windows\Fonts window (the "fancy" fonts window) then the problem will be fixed.

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 12/31/19 01:58 PM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
D
danekma Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi, just a quick update on my BIAB problems. While trying to implement Andrew's solution I ran into a problem - Windows wouldn't let me delete font files. I was trying different things (changing permissions, file ownership, etc.) but couldn't delete the files. At some point I lost internet access, and then I started BIAB. It started without any problems.

So, I still don't know what was the problem, but BIAB is working for now and that's good enough for me. Thank you for all your help!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

The new Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac® adds over 20 new features!

We show them off in our video: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Free Bonus PAK!

Along with the 50+ new features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we've also released an awesome collection of new Add-ons! On top of the 222 new RealTracks (+50 bonus RealTracks), we've also released new MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, and two new sets of "RealDrums Stems."

Order Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac during our special (which ends July 31st) and you'll receive a Free Bonus PAK that includes a lot of these new Add-ons:
- MIDI Styles Set 88: "Look Ma! More MIDI 11: SynthMaster"
- Instrumental Studies Set 20: New Orleans Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 40: More SynthMaster
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 43: Rock & Pop Keys
- Artist Performance Set 15: Songs with Vocals volume 5
- Playable RealTracks Set 3
- Playable RealDrums Set 2
- SynthMaster Sounds and Styles, with audio demos
- RealCombos 2024 Booster PAK:
*For Pro customers, this includes 35 new RealTracks and 58 new RealStyles.
*For MegaPAK customers, this includes 25 new RealTracks and 45 new RealStyles.
*For UltraPAK customers, this includes 28 new RealStyles.

- RealDrums Stems Set 6: More Pop, Rock & Country

Want even more new Add-ons? Boost your Free Bonus PAK to a 2024 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more new Add-ons to your collection:
- 50 Bonus Unreleased RealTracks & RealDrums
- MIDI Styles Set 89: "Look Ma! More MIDI 12: Funk, Jazz & Blues Keys"
- Instrumental Studies Set 21: '80s Hard Rock Guitar
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 41: Jazz Comping & Soloing Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 42: Soul & New Orleans Keys
- Artist Performance Set 16: Songs with Vocals volume 6
- RealDrums Stems Set 5: Jazz, Latin, Funk & World

Listen to Demos of the Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK: https://youtu.be/ZezLjinyb-4

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features!

Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac includes over 50 new features!

Watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features video, and follow along as we demonstrate how to create a new song from scratch using some of the major new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, like the Chord Progression Builder, the new MultiPicker Library Window, and the new Tracks Window!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Videos: One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we're adding new videos to our YouTube channel. We'll also post them here when they are published so that you can easily find all of our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® videos in one place!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac videos released as-of June 28, 2024 are:

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Everything you need to know in under 8 minutes!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - The New Tracks Window Explained

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - RealCombos Booster PAK Styles Demo

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 222 New RealTracks Overview

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,382
Posts743,945
Members38,761
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members